Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Congratulations to everyone in the WJHC for developing complete and total immunity to the COVID virus! Can’t help but feel like another international tournament was supposed to happen soon as well but hey I’m sure the IIHF wouldn’t discriminate like that, and definitely not twice in a row, right?

Right?

Anyway go hockey! Let’s see how long it plays until it gets canceled!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Spreading the fun in Edmonton!

Group A: Canada, Finland, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria
Group B: USA, Sweden, Russia, Switzerland, Slovakia

Games for today, December 26, 2021:

FIN vs GER @ 2pm EST
RUS vs SWE @ 4:30pm EST
CAN vs CZE @ 7pm EST
USA vs SVK @ 9:30pm EST

Games will be broadcast on TSN in Canada and the NHL Network in the USA.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Unofficial case numbers on the 24th in Alberta indicate around a 23% positivity rate. Games will be at 50% capacity and fans aren't allowed to eat or drink in their seats.

I'd like to see omicron get around those measures... game on!

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I'm proud of the IIHF for taking steps to keep our hospitals from overflowing with cooties

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Any tips for online streams? The Finnish TV is going to be poo poo for this.

edit: Finnish TV broadcast is actually surprisingly good. The team? You need to be more convincing against Germany in the 3rd to have a chance against the big dogs.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 26, 2021

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I wasn't ready for holographic Craig Button.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Finland won with higher overall skill, but Germany impressed me more with solid play in all periods. They can get any team that skates in with their pants down.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Simon Edvinsson: good maybe?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Matvei Michkov: also good

for more prospect insights like these, please subscribe to my patreon

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Thassa good Czech goal Gord

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
:sickos:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Having a bit of a laugh at Team Canada's expense

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Complete gong show. That one is very questionable IMO.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
I thought that was some kind of mistake by TSN, but it turns out there really is a player in this tournament named Ivan Ivan Ivan.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=227324

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/lesbijans/status/1475269004138852360
i love it.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
My favorite world junior tradition is seeing Askarov get lit up every year, sad he ages out after this

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

I missed whatever transpired, but Czechs seemed to be screwed.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I missed whatever transpired, but Czechs seemed to be screwed.

While on a penalty kill for a hold, one Czech player's legs got caught up with a Canadian player entering the zone, causing a tripping penalty, and when the play stopped, a Czech player cross-checked a Canadian player in the head after the whistle, so 2 Czech players went to the box and the Canadians had about 2:50 of 5-on-3 which they scored on twice.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Nice start for Sweden. Some mistakes but overall a decent game.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

fermun posted:

While on a penalty kill for a hold, one Czech player's legs got caught up with a Canadian player entering the zone, causing a tripping penalty, and when the play stopped, a Czech player cross-checked a Canadian player in the head after the whistle, so 2 Czech players went to the box and the Canadians had about 2:50 of 5-on-3 which they scored on twice.

Ah triple stacking a bunch of penalties will do it! Ty for filling me in.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Whenever you see a Bourque on Team Canada, it’s safe to assume they’ll never be an NHLer

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Absolutely trucking a dude in the head after the puck is gone somehow not a 5 minute major. Great job.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/IIHFHockey/status/1475889887719088133

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

USA going to get relegated lmao

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Jesus christ.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Cocaine Bear posted:

USA going to get relegated lmao

There's no relegation this year, same as last year.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

who could have seen this coming? :shrug:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
what a loving incredibly dumb thing

trying to hold a tournament during the most contagious spike in COVID we've seen yet and forcing teams to forfeit instead of just canceling the whole loving tournament

what a joke

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Levitate posted:

what a loving incredibly dumb thing

trying to hold a tournament during the most contagious spike in COVID we've seen yet and forcing teams to forfeit instead of just canceling the whole loving tournament

what a joke

You forgot holding it in a place run by a conservative death cult which has all but given up on trying to contain COVID.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So...what team next gonna forfeit. Giving 2:1 on Canada

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

So...what team next gonna forfeit. Giving 2:1 on Canada

I'd go with Slovakia. They played against USA.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Zat posted:

I'd go with Slovakia. They played against USA.

So did Finland :finland:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Canada strategy this tourney. Before the game draw a name out of a hat. That player gets a hat trick

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Ah cool. Was wondering when would have Canada just completely drive a team to humilating despair in a show of really poor sportsmanship

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ah cool. Was wondering when would have Canada just completely drive a team to humilating despair in a show of really poor sportsmanship

They really took their foot off the gas in the 2nd and 3rd, Austria's just not that good.

They are still playing a tournament and preparing for the elimination stage, you can't expect them to spend game time doing literally nothing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

The funny loving thing is that if the other world junior megabastards get COVIDed out and they don't, it will be the most one-sided gold medal game.

Tbh, best possible option is like only the two shittiest teams are COVID free for the final

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Classless of 2023 draft eligible Connor Bedard to upstage what should have been the Shane Wright hype tourney. 16-year old Michkov also owns but his khl contract situation is frightening

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/iihfhockey/status/1476001000326578180?s=21

Lmao this is so much bullshit

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Get it straight, we're not sexist assholes that value men over women, we're greedy assholes that value money over the health and safety of 16 year-old boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

The funny loving thing is that if the other world junior megabastards get COVIDed out and they don't, it will be the most one-sided gold medal game.

Tbh, best possible option is like only the two shittiest teams are COVID free for the final

I'm just waiting to see if Slovakia caught it, and if they did, they could've already passed it on to Sweden too (though unlikely because SVK-USA and SVK-SWE were on back-to-back days).

Another Canada-Finland final for the ages.

Zat fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 29, 2021