Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Big Beef City posted:

In addition, he spent the rest of his life working with the NFL developing both the game and rules for player safety, specifically for head injuries.
From a casual observer's perspective it looks like the NFL won out on that.

Jose Oquendo posted:

So who is going to make the new Madden games now? Did he pass down his knowledge of making football video games?
I do wonder how EA will pivot itself now. I hope they pivot to not making games anymore

Also Breaking Madden is funny too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
this makes me Sadden

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

For any non-American, or non-sports fan, this is why this man is so beloved.

Aside from being your dorky uncle, he actually had the credentials to back it up. RIP to a real one.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

God, this is horrifying.

RIP John Madden.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
auto-erotic asphyxiation strikes again

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
he was a good man

rip king

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Budzilla posted:

From a casual observer's perspective it looks like the NFL won out on that.

From a casual observers perspective you seem like a loving idiot

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I think it was Madden 2004 but my roommates and I figured out that you could completely break the game by having convicted dog abuser Michael Vick and running one play over and over again, it came to be known as "the play" and was banned from head to head matchups. Playing against the computer, go hog wild, sure.

I-Formation, wide receiver on the left ran a ten yard hook, tight end to the right of the I ran a post/vertical option, wide receiver to the right ran a hook/vertical option, running back and fullback ran wheel routes. If the defense was in a zone, you'd just wait for the wheel routes and throw it to them when no one was around. If they were in man defense, you'd throw to whichever of the tight end or receiver was in single coverage. If they had a heavy blitz, you'd throw the quick hook to the left, or just run away from them for a 70 yard touchdown because it was Video Vick.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Alucard posted:

They're going to stuff Chris Collinsworth and Al Michaels into him and bake them into a monstrosity of a turducken in his honor.

Chris Collinsworth, Al Michaels, and Valkyrie Queen Erin Andrews shall follow King Madden to Valhalla on the Madden Cruiser, forever shiny and chrome

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Chief McHeath posted:

I think it was Madden 2004 but my roommates and I figured out that you could completely break the game by having convicted dog abuser Michael Vick and running one play over and over again, it came to be known as "the play" and was banned from head to head matchups. Playing against the computer, go hog wild, sure.

I-Formation, wide receiver on the left ran a ten yard hook, tight end to the right of the I ran a post/vertical option, wide receiver to the right ran a hook/vertical option, running back and fullback ran wheel routes. If the defense was in a zone, you'd just wait for the wheel routes and throw it to them when no one was around. If they were in man defense, you'd throw to whichever of the tight end or receiver was in single coverage. If they had a heavy blitz, you'd throw the quick hook to the left, or just run away from them for a 70 yard touchdown because it was Video Vick.

There was a similar play in 01 Madden with Shannon Sharpe as TE. Seems like Madden had a glitch play in every version

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
He did some good video game box art. Posing with a football like "hey whaddya fuckin want it's a football game what am I supposed to do here" until they replaced him with players RIP

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

nfl should play with deflated balls for a week to honor his passing.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Big Beef City posted:

From a casual observers perspective you seem like a loving idiot
I am not a sports fan or American. But even my mother has heard of Madden and not of the video games, but it has been hard to ignore the whole business of NFL brain injuries in the news cycle for a long time. Most casual observers don't think of Madden leading the charge for better player conditions; he is the "guy with his name on the football computer games series". John Madden's legacy won't be for helping players with injuries.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

nfl should play with deflated balls for a week to honor his passing.

I will not allow the whole NFL to play with my balls for an entire week, that sounds exhausting.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sounds like he... fumbled his life.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ALL the famous John Madden catchphrases OP could've used to make this thread's title, and he goes with some lame poo poo like "videogame icon dead"!?

What the gently caress? OP you know you could've done better than that. I can think of two or three way better titles off the top of my head. Like...

• Hey folks! John Madden dead at 85.

or

• And BOOM! John Madden dead at 85.

or

• *draws arrow pointing to coffin on-screen* and BOOM! There's John Madden dead at 85!

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 29, 2021

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Stopped at the 85 yard line

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
rip Frank Caliendo standup

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Rip fat football man, you had a cool voice

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
A great developer. Cant see how they reskin the game for next year without him

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Maybe when I'm 85, I will have a stroke and die.

Maybe when I'm 86, I will fall and break my hips.

Maybe when I'm 102, I'll have a lift and look like new.

Maybe when I'm 93, I'll do well to hold my pee.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_L75FXv9J0
RIP

oldpainless posted:

Stopped at the 85 yard line
:emptyquote:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Tried to run the kick end zone to end zone, fumbled the ball at the 15. Whoops. He's dead.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

I. M. Gei posted:

ALL the famous John Madden catchphrases OP could've used to make this thread's title, and he goes with some lame poo poo like "videogame icon dead"!?

What the gently caress? OP you know you could've done better than that. I can think of two or three way better titles off the top of my head. Like...

Hey folks! John Madden dead at 85.

or

And BOOM! John Madden dead at 85.

or

*draws arrow pointing to coffin on-screen* and BOOM! There's John Madden dead at 85!

You're right the OP could have done those, but instead they chose a title that's actually funny

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
John Madden outlived Layne Staley

-Kurt Cobain

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
JOHN MADDEN

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
[Jhah<800,13>nmae<800,15>deh<800,17>]n[_<800,17>][jhah<800,17>nmae<800,18>deh<800,20>n]

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

"he's got getting-away-from-the-cops speed"

and all the times he kept talking about pounding the A hole

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

kecske posted:

"he's got getting-away-from-the-cops speed"

and all the times he kept talking about pounding the A hole

That wasn't John madden.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

drat you're right, it was gus johnson

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Budzilla posted:

I am not a sports fan or American. But even my mother has heard of Madden and not of the video games, but it has been hard to ignore the whole business of NFL brain injuries in the news cycle for a long time. Most casual observers don't think of Madden leading the charge for better player conditions; he is the "guy with his name on the football computer games series". John Madden's legacy won't be for helping players with injuries.

Because you and your mother are ignorant then, I guess it's a wash.

A person who personally advocated for flag football to keep children safe at a time when this was virtually non-existant and for more stringent safety rules in ALL levels of the game and was widely considered one of the kindest head coaches in the history of the game. You and your mother nailed it. Dipshit

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 29, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Has anybody stuck a fork on him yet? You know, just to make sure he’s really done?

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
loving lol that BBC, who routinely barges into dead celebrity threads to tell everyone what a piece of poo poo the deceased is, is getting all :cry: over John Madden. Lmao

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nooner posted:

is it really dying "unexpectedly" when ur 85?

and have looked & sounded like your heart is gonna explode at any moment for the last 25 years

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Big Beef City posted:

Also for those not familiar with American football,

Outside of Madden the video game introducing untold millions to the sport, he was the youngest head coach ever hired at the time he was by Al Davis, and they helped pioneer making the NFL racially integrated.

In addition, he spent the rest of his life working with the NFL developing both the game and rules for player safety, specifically for head injuries.

He's considerably one of the most important people ever involved with the sport in history.

That's actually pretty cool.
Uh, um, hand egg!
Football players have weird shaped balls!

Have head injuries become more prevalent again or is it more an increased understanding of head injuries that's behind what seems to me from under my rock an increase on media focus on it?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
EA SPORTS: HE'S IN THE GRAVE

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Disco Pope posted:

EA SPORTS: HE'S IN THE GRAVE

:eyepop:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002