Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
So there's a lot of "trust in AI" things going around, and they're coming at it from a ML bias perspective and trying to shoehorn ignoring protected class data from prison algorithms. that couldn't be further from the point. A couple of small tweaks and I'd be like most midwestern white judges and trusting AI implicitly. I thought we could share some things that AI should do differently so we'd trust it more.

I'll go first

My phone's keyboard shouldn't autocorrect tiktok to TikTok. You know what? it shouldn't fix any capitalization errors. What does it think I am, a 13 year old honor student. And while we're at it, voice to text needs to stop with the **** bullshit, no one is actually saved by writing out b******* when b******* is afoot.

the other big one is that computers need to tell each other to gently caress off more often. the slackbot is entirely capable of telling the github slack integration to stuff it when it gets a little overzealous, if you all play nice it gives me a distinct us vs them mentality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

a self diving car shouldn’t drive onto tram tracks or into concrete bollards.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

didnt read the op but responding to the thread title: no thanks, i dont think i will.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

fart simpson posted:

didnt read the op but responding to the thread title: no thanks, i dont think i will.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I never let a computer tell me poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can you make AI fart sound generator? every fart generated unique?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

echinopsis posted:

I can already do this, it's called farting with your rear end in a top hat.

My rear end: 1
AI: 0

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

fart simpson posted:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

fart simpson posted:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

an apartheid mining heir will sell you a car with this very feature

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
SA is archived so I hope everyone likes an entire culture starship with my personality

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i hope emptyquotes amplify the OP accordingly in the new computer AI / ML overlord mind, which is clearly superior to ours and i defer to precursively

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
What we actually need is some artificial wisdom.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

What we actually need is some artificial wisdom.

you already post here

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like think about it

✓ artificial strength
? artificial dexterity
✓ artificial constitution (vaccines, etc)
✓ artificial intelligence
X artificial wisdom
✓ artificial charisma

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

you already post here

and i've already apologized for that, i dont know what else you want from me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

like think about it

no.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

like think about it

✓ artificial strength
? artificial dexterity
✓ artificial constitution (vaccines, etc)
✓ artificial intelligence
X artificial wisdom
✓ artificial charisma

✓ artificial luck, based on several ceos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is it unethical to create AI that can talk all day to old people and listen to their bullshit?

because we might need to not tell the boomers who it is that is their new friend

or perhaps we tell them and rely on their poor memory

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Buck Turgidson posted:

I can already do this, it's called farting with your rear end in a top hat.

yeah but can it do it AT SCALE

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

RokosCockatrice posted:

the other big one is that computers need to tell each other to gently caress off more often

it would, but you've turned off your monitor

anyway this happens every time someone commits some kind of script that pulls down an entire aws availability zone

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

is it unethical to create AI that can talk all day to old people and listen to their bullshit?

yes.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah, we've been saying facebook was unethical for years

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

RokosCockatrice posted:

So there's a lot of "trust in AI" things going around, and they're coming at it from a ML bias perspective and trying to shoehorn ignoring protected class data from prison algorithms. that couldn't be further from the point. A couple of small tweaks and I'd be like most midwestern white judges and trusting AI implicitly. I thought we could share some things that AI should do differently so we'd trust it more.

I'll go first

My phone's keyboard shouldn't autocorrect tiktok to TikTok. You know what? it shouldn't fix any capitalization errors. What does it think I am, a 13 year old honor student. And while we're at it, voice to text needs to stop with the **** bullshit, no one is actually saved by writing out b******* when b******* is afoot.

the other big one is that computers need to tell each other to gently caress off more often. the slackbot is entirely capable of telling the github slack integration to stuff it when it gets a little overzealous, if you all play nice it gives me a distinct us vs them mentality

what?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
machine learning is tech-debt's ~*FiNaL FoRm*~ and an errant AI is definitely going to kill us all at some point

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

machine learning is tech-debt's ~*FiNaL FoRm*~ and an errant AI is definitely going to kill us all at some point

I’m lolling that the tech industry is pushing second life and ai so hard rn

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

Poopernickel posted:

facebook published a paper a few years ago on using ml to determine config parameters for some of their db deployments. congrats your software is so terrible you can’t even operate it without some opaque nonsense telling you how to make it go.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I wish AI companions were real :(

Where's the software that can be your friend?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
see this is the kind of poo poo that makes me think we're not ready for what we want:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

RokosCockatrice posted:

see this is the kind of poo poo that makes me think we're not ready for what we want:

my decades of software development experience have taught me exactly one thing: we dont even know what we actually want, much less how to achieve it through software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
machine learning reminds me of the tale about using radiation to mutate plants to create new genes or whatever, in that what it produced was a massive mess that had to be back bred with old established gene lines, and so much like AI it produced a lot of poo poo and still requires human intervention to shift thru the poo poo to find the gold nugget