Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
:siren:FINAL BRACKET:siren:

Match #1 - Iowa vs Bretagne
Match #2 - Fusō vs Ise
Match #3 - Nelson vs Almirante Latorre
Match #4 - King George V vs Rivadavia
Match #5 - South Dakota vs Gangut/Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya
Match #6 - Hood vs Scharnhorst
Match #7 - Colorado vs Revenge
Match #8 - North Carolina vs Dunkerque

Bonus round - CAULDRON OF DOOM (North Carolina vs 5 torpedo superboats)

Match #9 - Yamato vs Minas Geraes
Match #10 - New Mexico vs Kongō
Match #11 - Littorio vs Renown
Match #12 - Conte di Cavour vs Bismarck
Match #13 - Vanguard vs Andrea Doria
Match #14 - Nagato vs Tennesee
Match #15 - Queen Elizabeth vs Pennsylvania
Match #16 - Richelieu vs New York

Bonus Round - Glass Cannons (Lexington vs Courageous)
Bonus Round - Empire Throwdown (4x Revenge-class vs 4x Kongō-class)
Bonus Round - Batalha Sul-Americana (Brazil vs Argentina fleet battle)
Bonus Round - Old-timers (Monitor vs Virginia)

Match #17 - Yamato vs New Mexico
Match #18 - Littorio vs Bismarck
Match #19 - Vanguard vs Tennessee
Match #20 - Richelieu vs Pennsylvania
Match #21 - Iowa vs Fusō
Match #22 - King George V vs Nelson
Match #23 - Colorado vs Dunquerque
Match #24 - Scharnhorst vs South Dakota

Bonus Round - Big vs Fast (Nebraska vs Nisshin)
Bonus Round - Savo Island Rematch (4x New Orleans-class vs 4x Aoba-class)
Bonus Round - Macross Torpedo Massacre (Kitakami vs North Carolina)

Quarter-finals:
Match #25 - Iowa vs Nelson
Match #26 - South Dakota vs Colorado
Match #27 - Yamato vs Littorio
Match #28 - Vanguard vs Richelieu

Semi-finals:
Match #29 - Iowa vs South Dakota
Match #30 - Yamato vs Richelieu

Bonus Round - Dreadnought or Not (Dreadnought vs Lord Nelson)
Bonus Round - War Plan Orange (4x Colorado-class vs 4x Nagato-class)
Bonus Round - Middleweight Championship (South Dakota vs Richelieu)

Finals:
Match #29 - Iowa vs Yamato

:siren: If you'd like to fill out a bracket, here's an empty one aside from the first battle gimmie. I'll resume the contest New Year's Eve.:siren:

BATTLESHIPS are some of the coolest and most wasteful things mankind ever created. For the first half of the 20th century, they were how you measured your nation's dick. Through crippling wars, multiple global financial catastrophes, coups and revolutions, battleships never waned as a symbol of national prestige and eye-watering military spending.

Tragically, mankind was robbed of the chance to actually see what these things could do in major pitched battles against one another; there were shockingly few examples of battleships going toe-to-toe with one another without weather or airplanes or some other stupid operational factor injecting itself into the contest. The result is now decades-worth of arguing about which ship did what best, with very little real-world data to back any of it up.

Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts will not resolve these arguments. It will, however, give us the chance to pretend! We can build just about any ship design we want (no cowardly aircraft carriers) and put them out in the ocean for an all-guns duel. UAD actually does a fairly decent job of modeling a great many of the factors that went into the design and tactics of these great ships.

This thread will describe a 32-ship, March Madness-style tournament with nearly all of the WWII-era battleships of the world represented. We'll use a standard bracket, with ships seeded largely according to pretty half-assed research. I'll also include a brief description of each ship, so's we know what we're dealing with here. I'll post a brief overview of each battleship and screenshots from the most important moments.

And now...

The Field of Contenders

First, our bracket:

And a couple of gameplay notes:
- Fights are all 1v1, in pretty good weather and minimal wind. Visibility of a BB-sized ship is somewhere between 25 and 30km.
- All fights will be AI vs AI
- I'll do my best to make the ships look like their historical counterparts but I'll have to make some concessions to the game engine. All vital stats except possibly displacement will be in line with their best configurations prior to 1945.

Now, let's get right to it!

Matchup #1: USS Iowa (1943) vs Bretange (1916)

USS Iowa

Armor belt: 12.1 inches
Armor deck: ~ 8 inches (total)
Main battery: 9x16 inch guns
Top speed: 33 kts

The Iowas are far and away America's most famous ships, and the #1 seed in the tournament for a reason. They were the most sophisticated battleships ever built, combining superb American shipbuilding, a ridiculous overabundance of resources such as special steels, and the best engine and fire control technology of the era. They didn't have the biggest guns of thickest armor on the block (due to a requirement to fit through the Panama Canal) but their combination of high-tech armor, fire control, and speed are unmatched.

Bretagne

Belt armor: 10.6 inches
Deck armor: 1.6 inches
Main battery: 10x13.4 inch guns
Top speed: 20 kts

Bretagne was very competitive for her era, with ten 340mm guns and thick armor belt. Her top speed was on the slow side even in 1916, however, and is among the worst in the field. Worse, she was built to fight in an era where naval gun battles were to take place at much shorter ranges, reflected in her very thin deck armor. Still, her 10-gun broadside is impressive, and every battleship has a puncher's chance....

The Battle

If Iowa plays this smart, she doesn't even need to lay eyes on Bretagne. Her combination of speed and radar-laid gunfire can rip apart the gorgeous old French battleship from well outside the range of her guns. Bretagne lacks the speed to catch Iowa, is badly outranged, and her thin deck armor is the likeliest landing spot for Iowa's heavy shells.

Iowa spots smoke in the distance and goes to flank speed.

Iowa swings her stern around and opens fire at nearly 30km.

The first inkling Bretagne has that anything is amiss is a shell splashing in the water a couple hundred yards off her port bow.

Iowa finds the range pretty quickly. (note: this was not actually a hit, somehow)

How Iowa fought nearly the entire battle. Note how she's maintaining position inside her max range but outside Bretagne's, with all 9 of her guns still trained on the target.

A 16" shell rips into Bretagne's midsection.

A big hole, and a big fire.

More holes, and more fires.

Bretagne is game though, her veteran crew gets the fires under control and she keeps steaming towards her opponent, slower now, and full of holes.

How most of the battle looked to Bretagne: just muzzle flashes in the mist.

But what's this? Bretagne's guns are training? Is she in range? She is! But shortly after, her captain is killed.

Turns out Iowa was getting bored or something, and decided to turn for a full broadside within visual range. Bretagne's T is crossed.

She got off two wildly inaccurate salvoes before the inevitable result.

Winner: Iowa

Some exciting other first round matchups:

- Japanese battleships Ise and Fuso -- very evenly matched -- will slug it out.
- The biggest kid in the field -- Yamato -- goes after a...Brazilian battleship? Yes, you read that right.
- The fast and hard hitting but vulnerable Hood matches up with the most lightly armed ship in the field in Scharnhorst.
- The best of the UK and US early era -- Revenge and Colorado -- will duke it out in a War Plan Red scenario
- Nagato fights one of the very ships they she built to fight in Tennessee

Up next: a Japanese Battle Royale between Ise and Fuso!

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Iowa was not very nice to that poor French bote.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Will the Italian Battleship be in the Russian Novorossiysk(spelled right and I don't care) configuration? For obvious reasons the USSR is not otherwise represented in a WWII battleship competition. But they were certainly planning to get some before Stalin died.

Also when do you want our January madness style brackets in by?

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 30, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Oh yes, this is extremely my poo poo.

How's the game, by the way? I heard the battles were good but the framework leading up to them is extremely barebones.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Minas Geraes will samba over the burning hulks of all her opponents!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Personally I'm rooting for Dunkerque

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I am extremely down for this

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
*Starts singing the Space Battleship Yamato theme song*

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

habituallyred posted:

Also when do you want our January madness style brackets in by?

What a brilliant idea that I completely overlooked.

Here's a copy of the bracket: https://pdfhost.io/v/6VZ.JW1zy_Battleship_tournament

And let's say by Friday afternoon. Post screenshots of your picks!

Here's mine filled out:

Upsets include Nelson getting a lucky strike on Iowa, Revenge bringing it the US in a big way, and my personal favorite Richelieu beating some of the best the British have to offer.

Also Gangut is in there! It is partially Soviet.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 30, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

How's the game, by the way? I heard the battles were good but the framework leading up to them is extremely barebones.

I got it deep in early access and it isn't all that different. Clearly their attentions are on lovingly crafting ship components and fighting fun naval battles, I haven't even taken a look at the campaign. There are some big features still missing but it is a lot of fun.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
USA USA USA USA!

Rooting for Iowa all the way!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Don't have the time for a full bracket so I'll just bet on whether or not a South American ship makes it to the second round. My bet is: Yes

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I'm rooting for the Iowa and the Bismarck,

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

A pox upon all Bismarcki. The scenario unfortunately deprives Vanguard of her best asset. In a North Sea gale, she might make Iowa nervous.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

bewbies posted:

- The biggest kid in the field -- Yamato -- goes after a...Brazilian battleship? Yes, you read that right.

And they're gonna take it home! BRASIL NÚMERO 1 CAMPEÃO PENTA!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wait, I thought two threads would be playing Battleship against one another.

Darn it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Where is the Agincourt, I demand Agincourt.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Zorak of Michigan posted:

A pox upon all Bismarcki. The scenario unfortunately deprives Vanguard of her best asset. In a North Sea gale, she might make Iowa nervous.

Vanguard had good qualities? I'm used to playing 'World of Warships', where she suffers a great deal. 8 obsolete 15" guns makes it tough to recommend...

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Iowas are wet, Vanguard was a fine sea boat. Get together in the right sort of weather when there's green water coming over the Iowa's bow, and the day might get interesting.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Heh, HMS Vanguard vs. an ocean liner? :smugdog:

I hope we get to see one dramatic upset via a lucky shell, IE the "Hoodshot"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
No love for Jaime I?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
My bracket!

I'm assuming the Vanguard here is the one commissioned in 1946 and not the early 1900s dreadnaught. If it's the latter, I may revisit.
No change to my bracket if you're using the 1939 South Dakotas or the 1920 South Dakotas.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bracket up in here:

bewbies, i can probably score em if you want, just let me know

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Ouch, they didn't even get close enough to shoot their stubbies.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Unless the AI is dumb, anything with radar fire control has no business losing to any optical-only ship.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I mean he has a point yeah, is there any sort of weather or condition handicaps you can throw in?

Or is this just a no mercy THE FATES DECIDED beat down and the crew deal with the cards they were given with tech/design differences?

In advance, ouch anything pre 1930 matched up with an overhaulted WW2 ship.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh hell yeah, I'm definitely gonna keep my eyes on this. I've recently got the game as well, and it's pretty good fun so far and they just released a patch improving the AI a couple of days ago. I won't be making any predictions since I know about gently caress all about historical designs, but I'm certainly rooting for any ship with built-in torpedo tubes cause so far those are the most effective thing in my campaign. :shobon:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

I don't think it's very likely Richelieu can beat Yamato, or that Nelson can take both Iowa and SoDak, but I desperately want a fight between Nelson and Richelieu.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
This definitely looks like a fun thread. I'm betting Iowa goes all the way, but it'll be interesting to see what upsets happen along the way.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Important question. Are these as-built, final refits, or something in between?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gnoman posted:

Important question. Are these as-built, final refits, or something in between?

Best configuration prior to 1945 according to our ringmaster

Which is interesting, since I assume that the cutoff date was deliberate, because the Iowas got some improvement that allowed them to target a ship's power magazine through a hurricane from 30 km away. I'm also assuming the Bismark class is going to be late Tirptiz. Which is cool all by itself, since I think Tirpitz got heavier armor.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Right side is going to turn into Vanguard vs Yamato, which will be quite the fight to see

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
The hidden (very slight) handicap the later BBs have is that air attack doesn’t exist in this. A lot of throw weight on the Iowas is devoted to AA.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Natty Ninefingers posted:

The hidden (very slight) handicap the later BBs have is that air attack doesn’t exist in this. A lot of throw weight on the Iowas is devoted to AA.

I think the overall trend towards bigger guns with better fire control will work out in the later builds' favour. Iowa's going to go all the way and I'm predicting either NC or SoDak will come out of the bottom left bracket.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

plus DP guns work just fine as secondaries against surface targets

although if we get in to secondary range on any of these i'll be shocked

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
No idea who to vote for, but I like watching ships go boom.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

plus DP guns work just fine as secondaries against surface targets

although if we get in to secondary range on any of these i'll be shocked

I'm hoping we see some sick sick broadside action somehow.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I can't wait to post Sink The Biskmark memes when Bismark's turn is up.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

That song literally got me into milhist as a young child. It’s dorky as heck, but I owe it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Out of idle curiosity, does the tonnage of the ship in any ways affect how much damage they can take? Because I'm staring at Bretagne here at almost double her RL listed tonnage, and wondering if that helped her last longer. I'm assuming any vaguely modern battleships are probably going to be close to their actual tonnages, but if it does help with absorbing damage then I'm wondering if there might be an edge case where some early WW1-era BB manages to close range with something squishy like a Kongo as a result of the much higher tonnage.