Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dancer posted:

Thank you for your valuable opinion on the topic of that Prada post as an isolated text.

I feel the need to point out tho: literally no-one was complaining about that Prada post as an isolated text. Why are you derailing the conversation?

The report queue says otherwise.

Bottom Liner posted:

What about the following troll posts rubbing it in our face that he's allowed to poo poo post? Exactly how many people here have to ask that he be thread banned before it's a serious enough issue for you to do something?

That's not "stating factually correct information" that's being a deliberate poo poo heel, with a whole trail of poo poo left before.

I sent PRADA a PM about those.

GrandpaPants posted:

Why are you even a mod if you're not going to remove toxic members of a community? Like what is your role here besides writing lots of :words: and :decorum: arguments?

We have one or two active threadbans in TG. That's totally a thing we do. But we're not at that point, or even near it, in this case.

If you feel I'm way out of line, feel free to appeal to an admin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Leperflesh posted:

I sent PRADA a PM about those.

how quaint

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

The company I work for has a blockchain product,

lol eat poo poo

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
welp, this thread is about to go places.

Probably to hell

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The General posted:

lol eat poo poo

Thank you for your input. I work for a huge software company with hundreds of products. Pays the bills, you know? I think this particular product is totally unnecessary, but they don't ask me for advice about it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

What about the following troll posts rubbing it in our face that he's allowed to poo poo post? Exactly how many people here have to ask that he be thread banned before it's a serious enough issue for you to do something?

That's not "stating factually correct information" that's being a deliberate poo poo heel, with a whole trail of poo poo left before.
Im pretty sure the second post was explicitly a joke about how bitcoin is crashing right now

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

Im pretty sure the second post was explicitly a joke about how bitcoin is crashing right now

Yup. It's literally a joke at the expense of crypto people.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Leperflesh posted:

We have one or two active threadbans in TG. That's totally a thing we do. But we're not at that point, or even near it, in this case.

If you feel I'm way out of line, feel free to appeal to an admin.

Like what is the threshold of toxicity needed to get threadbanned? Prada actively trolls the thread and derails discussions. Like yeah sure some people take the bait and doesn't put them on ignore or whatever, but you could actually do something that the community has repeatedly called for? I mean if your intention is to make this place so unpalatable that most discussion takes place offsite, that's fine, but that's doing a poo poo job at being a community moderator.

I wish you did something out of line instead of doing absolutely nothing at all but disappoint (with decorum).

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Thank you for your input. I work for a huge software company with hundreds of products. Pays the bills, you know? I think this particular product is totally unnecessary, but they don't ask me for advice about it.

So you're saying that blockchain is a valid technology and using that arguement to support a poo poo poster, while also saying that it's not a valid product but it just happens to pay your bills? Why even mention that your company works on the blockchain at all then?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I found a video of Prada and leperflesh

https://twitter.com/iNabber69/status/1485995146369978379

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
remember when this thread was about board games people like to play and not....whatever the gently caress this is now.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

remember when this thread was about board games people like to play and not....whatever the gently caress this is now.

I mostly remember this thread being about the hivemind deciding which games you're allowed to enjoy :haw:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Like what is the threshold of toxicity needed to get threadbanned?

Ignoring escalating probations for something. Singular very offensive posts get serious probations; some behavior will earn a ban or even a permaban. Merely being annoying deserves action, sure - but my style is to treat people like adults and talk to them and tell them what's wrong and what we want them to do or not do.

I don't read this thread. None of the mods keep up with it. We don't have an IK for it. So if someone's annoying for years, but only got reported last month, you can't really expect us to do some kind of big research project or whatever. I'm gonna respond to what I've actually seen, and what I've seen are a handful of bad posts in December that I responded to; and this week, one actually fine post about blockchain, one joke, and one post that is kind of needling people for being hypersensitive that I responded to with a PM.

The standard a few of you seem to want me to impose is not in line with SA or TG standards of behavior. If I applied that standard to PRADA SLUT I'd also be threadbanning about 20 people from the magic thread, for example. This is still SA, people are allowed to be rowdy and say swears and make off-color jokes and use sarcasm. I'm asking people nicely to be civil because I think that makes for better threads, but we're not kicking people out for mild incivility anywhere on somethingawful.com.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

For some boardgame talk, I have to say that miniature railroad games are really good. Mini Rails and Mini Express are both amazing games that can play in half a hour. The Soo Line is also really fun, and Switch and Signal is a great little pick up and deliver.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The General posted:

So you're saying that blockchain is a valid technology and using that arguement to support a poo poo poster, while also saying that it's not a valid product but it just happens to pay your bills? Why even mention that your company works on the blockchain at all then?

I explained that blockchain isn't synonymous with cryptocurrency, because that's a factual statement. I am not using that argument to support a poo poo poster, I'm using it to explain why that post, which pulled a report, isn't gonna get probed. I mentioned that my company makes that product by way of explaining why I have some familiarity with it. And I am not in any way defending crypto. Is that clear enough for you, The General?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Seems real easy to skirt your threshold of “ignoring escalating probes” when you refuse to probe and instead PM them. “Merely being annoying” is an interesting way to describe someone that repeatedly claims a picture obviously depicting rape is in no way rape. Almost apologist.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Can we take this to QCS or something? I'm not liking this pages-long derail about Prada slut and crypto.

Content: what are everyone's favorite solo-only games?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Slimy Hog posted:

Can we take this to QCS or something? I'm not liking this pages-long derail about Prada slut and crypto.

Still waiting to hear how Final Girl Season 2 plays out

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I explained that blockchain isn't synonymous with cryptocurrency, because that's a factual statement. I am not using that argument to support a poo poo poster, I'm using it to explain why that post, which pulled a report, isn't gonna get probed. I mentioned that my company makes that product by way of explaining why I have some familiarity with it. And I am not in any way defending crypto. Is that clear enough for you, The General?

I will fully admit I've been defeated. :negative:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

I enjoy Navajo Wars quite a bit.

Crying alone in my room.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Final Girl Season 2 looks terrible. I guess Van Ryder used all their creativity on that dumb popcorn NFT game of theirs.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The General posted:

I enjoy Navajo Wars quite a bit.

Crying alone in my room.

I suck too much at Navajo Wars, it's drat hard.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Slimy Hog posted:

I think this is sort of a trick question because automation can (not necessarily does) improve any solo-only game.

My recent new favorite solo-only game is Spirit Island, but it only counts because my wife hasn't had time to play it since I got it, so I've been two-handing it solo. :smith: What a great game!

Thinking about it, out of my two hundred or so of all sorts good and bad, I don't think I own any one-player games.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Slimy Hog posted:

I have still never played a solo game. I had meant to buy some during *gestures at everything around us* but just didn't. I don't know why.

As far as games that I thought looked good: Sprawlopolis is popular and seems like a very simple but interesting expanding sort of puzzle. Also, someone in the old thread mentioned Rocky Mountain Man which also tickled my fancy. It would never have come across my radar otherwise, and I might be buying / making a copy some day. My only hesitance was that the game is played in 'seasons' that are a real time hour long. So if you roll the dice faster, you get more done, and that doesn't jive with me thematically despite the designer's protestation.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Maybe a silly question, but how does crokinole compare to something like a full fledged Table shuffleboard? I've played a lot of that prior to Covid as a bar I frequented has a solid table, but obviously with the world as it is today I haven't been in a while.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Admiralty Flag posted:

I think this is sort of a trick question because automation can (not necessarily does) improve any solo-only game.

My recent new favorite solo-only game is Spirit Island, but it only counts because my wife hasn't had time to play it since I got it, so I've been two-handing it solo. :smith: What a great game!

Thinking about it, out of my two hundred or so of all sorts good and bad, I don't think I own any one-player games.

The fact that I only own... One? Solo-only game, but still play a bunch of other games solo are why I specified "Solo-only". I'm curious what else is out there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/341489/carrooka

Carrooka looks great and more approachable than Crok. I get tired of Crok after like 15 mins.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Carillon posted:

Maybe a silly question, but how does crokinole compare to something like a full fledged Table shuffleboard? I've played a lot of that prior to Covid as a bar I frequented has a solid table, but obviously with the world as it is today I haven't been in a while.

I prefer shuffleboard, but they're both fun. I find it harder to judge the strength of a crokinole flick than the strength of a shuffleboard push, if that makes any sense. Crokinole is a very tight, close quarters game in comparison, and if you get a disc into the center it scores immediate points and is removed, vs shuffleboard where you just want to be close to the edge.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I don't read this thread. None of the mods keep up with it.

This seems like it would be a good chance to learn why people are asking for a particular user to be threadbanned or, at the least. Actually going and checking his post history in these threads y'know? Especially if you don't know some of the stuff he has posted because now you're saying things like this:

Leperflesh posted:

The standard a few of you seem to want me to impose is not in line with SA or TG standards of behavior. If I applied that standard to PRADA SLUT I'd also be threadbanning about 20 people from the magic thread, for example. This is still SA, people are allowed to be rowdy and say swears and make off-color jokes and use sarcasm. I'm asking people nicely to be civil because I think that makes for better threads, but we're not kicking people out for mild incivility anywhere on somethingawful.com.

about posts you haven't read.

If you know the magic the gathering thread has 20 posters in it who really are similar in every way then that's your job to do something about it because even if it's just hyperbole, reading that there are others who try to stir up poo poo like prada does and share views similar to what prada has posted then that isn't the great defense you think it is.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/341489/carrooka

Carrooka looks great and more approachable than Crok. I get tired of Crok after like 15 mins.

Would love to get my hands on a Carrooka board but they are only available in the UK.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I play some games solo but don't own any solo only games. I was tempted by the French resistance game and Final Girl but decided against both for one reason or another.

After all the Crokinole chat, and seeing that delivery on the Kickstarter is as much as the board itself, I decided to just buy Klask instead. My limited storage space will appreciate it and I'll probably play it more because of it being at least vaguely portable. Any opinions from the thread about it?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Redundant posted:

I play some games solo but don't own any solo only games. I was tempted by the French resistance game and Final Girl but decided against both for one reason or another.

After all the Crokinole chat, and seeing that delivery on the Kickstarter is as much as the board itself, I decided to just buy Klask instead. My limited storage space will appreciate it and I'll probably play it more because of it being at least vaguely portable. Any opinions from the thread about it?

I like it. It’s got more of a hectic air hockey / foosball feel than crockinole.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Haha, drat. 18 pages? A new record.

e: in board game news I’m wondering if I should even open my gloomhaven or if I should just play on Steam. Any opinions?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Sell Gloomhaven still shrink-wrapped, then play digital or get Jaws of the Lion.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Llyranor posted:

Sell Gloomhaven still shrink-wrapped, then play digital or get Jaws of the Lion.

2nd-ing this. My hot take is that Gloomhaven is only fine

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Slimy Hog posted:

I think it's quite fun to sit around the table and play Gloomhaven with friends every two weeks or so. It's something I miss since the pandemic set in. If you're only in it for the tactical combat then sure, digital is probably fine, but it's not the same experience as sitting around with your friends.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Threadban Leperflesh

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Slimy Hog posted:

A spicy take

that I agree with

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Haha, drat. 18 pages? A new record.

e: in board game news I’m wondering if I should even open my gloomhaven or if I should just play on Steam. Any opinions?

I haven’t played digital but the setup and bookkeeping sucks

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

PRADA SLUT posted:

bookkeeping sucks

This is true. I have a number of 3d printed accessories for Gloomhaven that make it much easier, so if you have a 3d printer you can definitely fix some of that, but stock it is a ton of fiddly bookkeeping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

armorer posted:

I think it's quite fun to sit around the table and play Gloomhaven with friends every two weeks or so. It's something I miss since the pandemic set in. If you're only in it for the tactical combat then sure, digital is probably fine, but it's not the same experience as sitting around with your friends.

This is basically what I thought, and then I figured if I'm playing it solo digital then I should just play XCOM or something instead.