Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Probably because it's only good when combined with Barehanded, otherwise it's pretty much useless.

Wait, does Barehanded carry over with stats?

Also, I think Kick is the only ability that can't be put on another job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DeTosh posted:

It's good to finally know how Goblin Punch works.

There's more to say about Goblin Punch, but that's better suited for later.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Does Monk still have the problem where they're an early game crutch that proves mostly useless in the end game? In most versions of the game, Monk damage falls off a cliff and by the endgame you have way better things to tack on your non-Monks than Barehanded or 30% HP.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

dotchan posted:

Does Monk still have the problem where they're an early game crutch that proves mostly useless in the end game? In most versions of the game, Monk damage falls off a cliff and by the endgame you have way better things to tack on your non-Monks than Barehanded or 30% HP.
The problem is scaling. By default unarmed attacks have an Attack of 3, which is worse than even Lenna's starting Knife. The Barehanded passive adds double your level to this, but that falls off once you reach World 2 and stop gaining levels so quickly. By World 3 and the endgame your fists are lagging behind standard attacks from a Sealed Weapon, and that's not counting more powerful options like !Jump/!Rapid Fire/Dual-Wield/Twohanded. That said, if you have a Bard or Chemist in the party to buff your level in combat monk fists become good again!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Part 5 A man a map a canal, Anacapamanama

Possible TW for 90s era awkward handling of gender identity. I'm pretty sure this is the only time I need to mention it, the only other rude line that I can remember from the GBA release much later in the game has been corrected.

We've kicked the pirate crew to the curb, stole the loot Faris explicitly kicked them off the ship to guard, and now we're way onto Torna, the Golden Country some cephalapod infested canal. I've cut out the trip up to the locks.

Fate In Haze (Pixel Remaster)

Seymour holds up the key (ignore the fact that the ship is pointed away from the door).

Seymour Butz! Where in tarnation did you get the key?
Does it matter? Let's get going!

Tarnation is apparently an alteration or euphemism of damnation.

FYI Gadzooks is probably the most offensive of the "tame" curses you can give. It means God's Hooks (the nails used during the crucifixion).

I now return you to our regularly scheduled shitpost.

The door is open, and we can proceed forward.

Are you ready?

Are you sure?

Okay here's the OST for the next fight Fierce Battle

Alright, lets get into our first fight of the update!

I just loving love how much they're pushing the particle effects in this game.

If you remember the OP I was said I was going to refer to the PSX names when relevant, and tarnation Soccer is not going to be called anything else.

Well that's enough out of them. They attack, I attack, fun was had by all.

In this fight Soccer is accompanied by the Octokraken, (Octofist in PSX, I guess it gets an honorable mention since its acting as hypeman for the Soccers). I didn't take any pictures of fighting the first set of Soccers, but notice that Seymour Butz and Galuf are still at full HP. That NPC in Tule mentioned the beasts only target women so Lenna has taken a hit and... Faris?

Apropos of nothing, I see that every one of our characters have shadows. Four shadows in all.

Here's the "end" of the dungeon. I believe you might be able to return here, but I don't have a save at a point where I can test this yet. For now, consider this is the last chance to fight Soccers and Octokrakens for your bestiary. The canal is long enough that you're practically guaranteed 2 fights so you'd have to be unlucky to miss both.

Close Call (Original)

As the ship passes that narrow strait this whirlpool comes roaring to life.

Oh no... The monster of the canal...

You'd better figure something out fast, 'cause we're getting sucked in!

Syldra, what's wrong!?
Look alive, something's coming!

The Fierce Battle (Pixel Remaster) (For real this time)

I forgot to show it during Wing Raptor, but bosses get a special non cube based encounter transition.

Say hello to... no, this is not the crab that was a friend to the hydra. This isn't even a crab at all! This is Karl Boss.

Karl Boss has 3 moves: an attack, Feeler, and Tail Screw. Feeler here is a physical attack that also inflicts paralysis. If for some reason you were some sort of thrill seeker or something Feeler is a death sentence.

The aftermath of Feeler, Galuf is prone until it wears off. As for other actions Karl has Tail Screw (not pictured because Karl just wanted to Feeler and pinch) Sets the HP of the target to single HP.

Otherwise its just a slobberknocker. Karl Boss is basically a lesson that you can heal in battle. Brought a White Mage? No? Then Potion up the paralyzed friend or anyone who got Tail Screwed. Or be a blue mage and Vampire his own health away.

Karl coughs up enough ABP to teach everyone !Check, the last time in this LP it will ever be acknowledged. :toot:

Infinitely more useful than that is a tent.

After the fight ends the ship gets launched out of the whirlpool.

...because Syldra just pushed us out.

Syldra!!! Lemme go! Unhand me! Syldra!!!

That red tint is because the sun is setting... right?

Silence

Yeah, definitely, that's the ticket, its night now so that red flash was just the sun going down.

As well as can be expected. We should leave him be.
The ship is just drifting with the current...

The ship is slowly plodding to the northeast.

Galuf wakes up with the ship knocked up against a mast, or maybe a bit of boom. Those might be docks we're near but they're in pretty lousy shape if they are.

Where is this?

Brrrrrr. All the more reason to hotfoot it out of here!

Cursed Lands (Original)

Let's check out the end of this "dock"

Some stones erupt from the water and Seymour hops from stone to stone.

We get a flail, which is a weapon upgrade for White Mage. Flails are usable at full strength in the back row but at the expense of accuracy.

Here's our first fight in the zone. Neither of these are that interesting in a fight. However their drops are worth looking forward to. Skeletons drop daggers which would be a welcome upgrade from Lenna's knife. Calcruthl (CrystSlugs in the PSX, which honestly seems more coherent. This thing is one of the very few possible indications that someone localizing this might have gotten a peek of what they were doing rather than just looking at a text file) can drop elixirs.

To the north is this cabin, the only place we can access right now.

The ominous purple fog on the windows really brings the room together.

If you didn't notice in the previous room that doors leading to other areas in this zone have a purple haze in front of them. So that indent at the center here is a door.

A... Carthulu or whatever got me an Elixir on the way there.

Another tent. Tents are great this early on if you get in a bad spot. As long as you can get to a save point a tent is much cheaper than a phoenix down to prop someone up.

If we go straight forward from the stairs rather than take that tent detour:

What, are you going to melt or something? Come on!

Another room another fight: This time introducing an zombie golem. This guy can also drop elixirs.

Mo money, mo rods.

Another fork, to the north is treasure (phoenix down), the south door is progress.

A skeleton drops a dagger.

Seymour and friends have gotten back above water and looks like they've reached the crew quarters.

This room seems safe enough... Let's take a rest. I'm going to change into some dry clothes... No peeking!

I'm fine like this... Don't worry about me.

Hey, what're you doing? Get away! Don't touch me!!!

Now I think I should warn anyone who might have glossed over some of the incredibly ham handed foreshadowing, but this is a product of the 90s. I love this game but there is going to be some... probably poor choices in words coming up.

It gets better about it, promise.

What's all the commotion?

Of course not... But why were you trying to hide it?

The Day Will Come (Pixel Remaster)

Yeah, so?

:picard:

Uh, okay...

Next morning

Cursed Lands (Original)

Hey, old man! That's enough lollygagging from the likes of you! On your feet! Let's go!

Her tone smacks of machismo to me.

That's for certain!

So Faris... as far as I'm concerned I'm referring to Faris as Faris (unless transcribing. I'm pretty sure I didn't refer to Faris as anyone other than captain til now), unless calling Faris Faris just gets way too obnoxious in which I'll refer to Faris as they/them.

TL;Dr: I'm going to go with the PSX version's translation of Butz's dialog.

Deal with it! Faris is Faris.

Save point in the next room, this is about the 2/3 mark of the dungeon.

After getting above deck and weaving around more wreckage we reach this door. Its optional but treasure is treasure.

Behold the world map. In previous versions this would let you open up the map on the overworld. We can already do that. But better to grab it now because if we don't it'll just haunt us for a few more dungeons.

Next deck down are 3 more chests, this will cap off all the treasures of the ship graveyard. If you're looking to grind for elixirs I believe this is the best room to do it in, as every fight has at least one enemy that drops them.

Speaking of capping things off, the mindflusher is the last monster in the zone to fight. I've considered it my duty to inform anyone whose reading my drivel that this tangible human skull is screaming so loud that it can be heard for miles. Also so loud that it has ripped his face clear off. Sweet dreams.

Just a moment ago I said that the 3 chests were the last to get. This one is just a switch.

A switch that raises the back half of the ship above water.

:siren: This dungeon doesn't go away immediately, but it does go away. As such make sure you've got these enemies in the bestiary.

Calcruthl
Skeleton
Undead Husk
Mindflusher

Deception (original)

Mom?

Lenna!? Ahhh...

Who's that? I just can't remember...

The three of them collapse and their soul or life's spark or whatever leave their bodies.

Lady Dimitrescu, eat your heart out. Behold the tallest sprite in the game.

Never, demon!

Still, I'm feeling generous... I could be convinced to spare yours if you ran home quietly.

Why would you risk your life for these people?

Don't be fooled by her trickery! Open your eyes!

Galuf! Uh-oh-here it comes!

The Fierce Battle (Pixel Remaster)

Siren starts off with one of the best openers she can. She could also cast haste (which sucks but not as bad as you'd think), or slow, which right now the only way you can cure is by death and reviving.

Blue Magic doesn't care about silence. Also Siren has high magic defense, so goblin fist from the back row is good damage.

After opening with her status effect opener she begins just rolling out damaging magic spells.

I misspoke about how Vampire works, it doesn't do (Maximum HP - Current HP) of damage to the target while healing half of that, it deals and cures half. Not great but still in terms of action economy Faris isn't wasting a turn curing since they're still dealing damage.

A few turns in Siren goes into a new phase. This is why I mentioned haste isn't too bad, since Haste goes away with the form change. However unlike Wing Raptor we can and should continue the offensive.

In the undead phase of the fight Siren trades high magic stats for high physical stats. So now Aero will be the main source of damage.

Undead Siren just does truckloads of physical damage (unless there's a bunch of lucky shield blocks), and has a special attack called Venomous Clasp that does heavy damage and poisons. She didn't this time though.

As mentioned in the job synopsis between updates, Learn allows a non blue mage to capture blue magic. There aren't any enemies who have any right now but we're ready for it when the time comes.

If I sandbagged the fight to let her turn back to her magic mode, she'd have dropped a bronze armor.

Cursed Lands (Original)

Ehh, don't sweat it.
Aww, you're blushing!

What? Come on click on it, you know you wanna.

Next time, useless towns and flying cats.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 18, 2022

Xandor TikRoth
Mar 10, 2012

I can definitely help with that
Another great update! Let me ask, who's your favorite FF5 character and why is it Galuf?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Xandor TikRoth posted:

Another great update! Let me ask, who's your favorite FF5 character and why is it Galuf?

Glad to entertain. While Faris does a lot to be a great character too, well I guess Galuf... I'll just share something completely out of context in the future.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Part 6 BRB entering my cold rod in Forza Motorsports

Cold open, fighting strange lump beasts.

Tatous aren't anything special, this is mostly just documentation for later fun. So for future reference, consider that if I were to single target this, I'd have done about 160 damage to one.

Harvest (Original)
Some day perhaps the OST won't be cast into the phantom zone and accessible. While I don't personally care for the original Harvest holy poo poo whoever arranged it in the remaster definitely did.

Harvest (Pixel Remaster)YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAH HOOOOOO

Welcome to... town. Technically we could skip this place completely and proceed with plot. But there's some important things to do here.

So Carwen, ir Kerwin, or some combination of vowels between some digraph letter, an r and w, and an n. Cerwon sends their best and brightest to greet us.

Translation: we're going to North Mountain.

The one in Tycoon is the last of its kind.

I don't think anyone else refers to this war. With one exception I can't even think of any sort of non crystal exploding interpersonal conflict in the early game.

The armor shop, I think I skip this, if I got anything it was just a cotton robe for Lenna.

Definitely skipped the weapon shop since I have 2 daggers and only one person is going to use one right now.

Kurwan has a strange magic shop, it has the level 1 spells of Tule, but has a lopsided stock of level 2 spells as well. I remember one time I played this game I forgot all about this shop... and came up to an enemy that I really wanted to silence (or maybe sleep) and got confused and annoyed that I couldn't.

Edit: I haven't mentioned this yet and I should do this as early as possible for posterity sake. If you use cursor memory like I do, the cursor memory persists if you switch from beneficial spells to detrimental ones. Meaning that if you were to cast cure on the first turn of battle it would default to casting it on your party. However, if you then on your second turn cast silence, it will STILL target the last party member you last targeted. So be vigilant when you switch from the defensive to the offensive stance. White magic and black magic won't be an issue too often, but when we get different flavors of blue magic or time magic things can go very bad very fast.

First important thing for Corwin is the piano.

Even excluding this version just giving you the map right out of the gate, other games didn't have you "use" the map, it was tied to a controller button, I think select for all versions.

...hic.

...freezeframe, canned audience laughtrack, roll credits - I already made that damned joke and I did it without a 50s sitcom in laws joke.

A wind drake AND super-rare dragon grass? If you could get your hands on those, you'd be rolling in gil!
I hear tell there's dragon grass up on North Mountain, but there's poison grass there too, chokin' it out...

Or I can just walk into the kitchen and be rolling in gil.

The stairs by the piano led to an empty room, but looking at Mega64's LP there should have been someone there. Might have not shown up until after talking to someone else I never talked to until recording footage for this. Oh well, he just connects the dots explicitly what we already assume what with this being an RPG where 50% of the town is talking about NORTH MOUNTAIN. We're going to NORTH MOUNTAIN next.

This guy is screwing with me. I seem to remember that later in the game he should move and give access to those barrels behind him, but the gamefaqs map doesn't show anything in those. Either way the Pixel Remaster's "Get all the stuff out of non-chests" achievement doesn't require it.

*2 other merchants on 2 other docks repeat roughly the same thing.*

This town has the finest port in the world! ...Though that doesn't mean much now that boats can't sail anymore.

Now for the most important thing in Korwon. There's a passage here that doesn't show up even with a thief in the party. Just a little dogleg to the left and...

The equip screen doesn't tell you much, just "number go up"

Boy does number go up.

They use a machine to amplify the power of the water crystal.
We must stop it! How can we get to Walse?

Hrn... Haven't got Syldra, either...

Faris... I'm sorry.

I think this is the best moment to point this out, now that we got the situation of the previous update over and done with. Final Fantasy V is a game built on the dynamic between these four goofuses. Things are starting to gel. Galuf has his amnesia, but it hasn't stopped his determination to deal with the crystals. Somewhere in his subconscious he's thinking of every possible solution to getting to Walse, yet he realizes that he really put his foot in his mouth. Lenna and Faris have some sort of bond and despite Faris's bluster there was indications of it even in the wind shrine and definitely with Siren's lure.

No ships, so we can't go by sea... If we can't go by land or sea, then... Hmm...

And that's it for the items in town. Ckaeorwiyn is not worth the effort of making the fancy map I did in Tule.

Well, I guess I should leave Carwen on a good note. This is the first place you can buy status cures. While I don't need most of these right now I buy a few of each. Anyone playing at home you just need Antidotes and maybe some Gold Needles in case things get really stupid (a set of 4 eye drops if you actively invite stupidity).

Remember awhile back where I had those 2 Tatou's have about 160 HP of damage split between the 2 of them? Behold the power of the ice rod. 50% boost to ice elemental damage.

So leaving town we head north east, eventually we reach a forest surrounded by mountains, we continue further north to North Mountain.

To The North Mountain (Original)

Welcome to North Mountain hope you enjoy your stay. If there's 3 or more enemies on the field, !Kick is probably the best turn a monk can use.

If I was so inclined, I could feed the Headstones an ether and they'd have a chance to use a blue magic spell, but ethers are costly and I can get it with minimal effort later.

We came in from that door on the right. There's another chest immediately south of that door. We're exiting to the north of this chest. Right now dungeons are incredibly short (for that matter most dungeons in this game are pretty quick) and there are very few detours for treasure. When dungeons get complicated (and/or are only available for a limited time) I'll provide better maps or directions.

Cockatrice are showing up surprisingly early compared to other entries in the series. Despite the early appearance they can do what they're famous for; a chance to petrify on even numbered turns. They probably shouldn't get a second turn since they're pretty frail.

Though they do hit pretty hard if you're not upgrading your equipment.

Since I don't want to waste a phoenix down I choose to escape from the rest of the fights on this screen. As the NPC said stepping on the flowers inflicts poison on the whole party.

We're almost to the top, the save point gets Galuf back in fighting shape and cures the poison.

I'm 5 ABP away from getting !Focus on Faris and Seymour Butz, so I spend a bit of time grinding for it.

Right after the save point leads to a single tile wide patch of grass, certainly nothing to worry about, just a normal result of rock slides and erosion.

We get on to autopilot once crossing the natural choke point.

King Tycoon's got a big head.

Previous versions silently put this in your inventory. Its nice to be told right here, since right after we leave the mountain there is a very real chance you'd go to a new armor shop and buy an "upgrade" for headgear, only to find by using Optimize you somehow got something better than an Iron helmet.

Close Call (Original)

It's less nice to be told right here that you've been stabbed with a 3 foot long poisoned arrow.

Lenna!

See? I said there was just normal natural erosion going on.

Less natural is a Rydia cosplayer cavorting around a mountain doing a Noble woman's laugh.

I came here after that wind drake, but I seem to have caught something much more valuable.
Wait... you'd hunt a wind drake!?
Of course. Their horns fetch quite a high price on the black market, ohohoho! But I've caught no less than the princess of Tycoon instead!

:wtc:

ACTION KICK

ACTION FALL

Faris!
Oops... faw down go boom? Mwa, ha, ha... Oops, I guess he slipped. Pity.

I prefer the PSX Looney Tunes reference personally.

What!?

Oh yeah, Pirate Captain... shouldn't have even considered the chance Faris couldn't climb up a sheer rock face.

Shouldn't have doubted Faris doesn't carry around 10 feet of rope and some stakes to rig them to.

Lenna! Hang on!

I was only half joking when I called her a Rydia cosplayer.

All the Pixel Remasters have this system message when poison damage tics, probably more annoying than helpful.

For a long time any enemy you see using drain will be a huge threat. Thankfully she didn't equip a rod and has the Minerva Bustier on, otherwise this would REALLY hurt. If I brought a white mage I could silence her and neutralize a lot of her threat.

Another change to the Pixel Remaster, enemy scripts that are based on HP thresholds trigger immediately. Earlier versions had to wait for the enemy to get a turn for those conditions to resolve. This results in a harder fight since I could have rushed her last 300 HP down before triggering this phase when playing an older version.

Forza comes to the front line, pushing his wife into the back row. The fight gets considerably more dangerous now.

Magissa immediately casts Regen.

If you try to shift your attention to Forza, or if you split your focus between them, she could start casting drain and undo a lot of progress.

In hindsight, I really should have put Forza to sleep, but my team wasn't made to really exploit that unless everyone sat back and watched Lenna blizzard him to death.

Look at that damage! Galuf will die from that being in the front row. Seymour probably won't survive either at his current HP. This was a pretty lousy team to bring out. A group of blue mages and maybe a white mage would have locked this down between silencing and vampiring away any damage.

Thankfully Forza has terrible stamina so regen is just obnoxious, it won't undo any progress made in murdering him.

Ran out of phoenix downs so unfortunately Galuf is going to be a bit behind on getting his next Thief ability.

Both Magissa and Forza have guaranteed drops. Aside from Freelancer no one can equip the whip for awhile and it'll be even longer before someone can drink something, which begs the question how potions are administered.

Lenna's Theme (Pixel Remaster)

Once again Galuf has to sleep off his death. Now again there's this ominous chokepoint, but before I progress I want to get into a very specific encounter.

And here it is. Its not dangerous or lucrative or anything, its just that after dozens of fiestas you'd rarely see any fights on this screen and then suddenly BAMF, rare enemy formation. Even for the rare times you'll see other enemies in a group of 5, I can't think of any that line up, they usually are a circle.

He's hurt pretty bad...
Hiryu... Don't worry, I'll take care of you.

And here we can now officially put "concern for her father" in a distant third place, trailing behind:

Love of animals
Love of poison

Lenna! What're you doing!?

You can walk diagonally now!

Give the dragon grass to Hiryu... Quickly...

Please, get well...
My stars and garters! You're out of your gourd, young lady-that was insanely reckless!

The dragon flies like 15 feet in the air, only to swoop down 6 feet over.

And activates his Mary Shuryu powers.

Hiryu... thank you!
Looks like you're both hale and hearty again! Let's saddle up!
Actually... I, uh, I don't really like heights...

Directed by Hironobu Sakaguchi Wait I already joked about making this joke.

What's so funny!?

Your face, kiddo! Now hop on!

Spreading Grand Wings (Original)

Gotta admit,that face is so funny. As advanced and fancy fully modeled games can get, its amazing how much expression games could fit into a 32x32 pixel sprite.

Hiryu can cross oceans and plains, but can't fly over mountains. This means that we can return to all the places we've been, in addition to progressing the story in Walse, or delaying the inevitable by going back to Tycoon.

Also you may notice that the Hiryu's got a red shadow above. The Pixel Remasters added another quality of life feature with airships and other means of flight so that your shadow is only black if you can land.

Like so, Hiryu can fly over the meteor and reach Tycoon.

Royal Palace (Pixel Remaster)

...I forgot that the Pixel Remaster lets me just barge right up to the gate like I own the place. Well Lenna does but older releases made you talk to the guard, who says "Thank heaven's your safe!" or something there about.

So now he's locked into this line.

In the courtyard the half dozen NPCs can be summarized with one line, namely:

Princess Lenna!

Except this jerk, he's blocking treasure.

I'm going to put off talking to him for as long as possible. There's a path behind this turret.

This cramped room has 2 cottages. It'll be a bit of time before I'll want to use them.

Its one thing that you got to the Wind Shrine, but how did you get back? Did the invisible monsters finally leave you alone?

Princess Lenna!
Forgive me... I didn't mean to worry you.
No need to fret about that now. But please, you must return to the castle for good!

No, I didn't miss a line, we haven't said anything about just coming here to pillage the castle and ditching. He immediately assumes she's leaving again.

Our guard has been severely weakened by recent monster raids, but there's no way we can recover without our princess!

That sounds like a compelling argument to keep her far away from you and your useless squad if you can't fight back the goblins.

I'm sorry... I cannot stay.
Princess, you have a responsibility to this kingdom!

She's a princess, her dad isn't confirmed dead, she hasn't completed the customary time of mourning, and she isn't coroneted, she doesn't have to do poo poo. Stop trying to pawn your job off on your betters.

Yes... but I also have a responsibility to the world. Right now we are all in danger...

I understand. Princess Lenna, we will protect the kingdom in your stead, I swear it!
And I swear to return, and bring Father back. Until that time, please hold things together here.

Certainly.

Reminiscence

Sadly we can't decline, the price of a few elixirs and other treasures are high. We must endure a cutscene.

Hm? Ah, Lenna. It's late... you should be in bed.
So should you... my sister.
!?

Wh-what are you going on about? Me, your- Don't be daft!
But...

:D

What? (Original) (The real "What?", not throwing in an 80s theme song for the credits roll)

A new day dawns, another... what? occurs. I can only assume that they were planning something akin to Tales skits or something with Galuf rolling out of bed and... this. But it more or less dies here. It'd be one thing if Seymour was the only one who got pumped to wake up, but everyone else flexes and performs the morning hype ritual in sync.

*giggle*
What in tarnation are you doing, kid?
I think he's a few men short of a full crew...

We're finally free to loot the castle. This is the room directly below where that skit occurred. There's an item in the pot directly south of the old man.

Here's the map for the treasures. Red squares are treasures. Green lines mark connections.

Oh, the king's wind drake is alive! That's wonderful.

Ever since Princess Lenna left, the chancellor's been at his wits' end.
If only Princess Lenna would stay here...

At some point we can sneak in here, but its not the end of the world if I fail to check back if its at an arbitrary time or the event flags refuse to cooperate. There's no treasure here besides checking his diary.

Sarisa?
Princess Lenna's older sister. Sarisa was sailing with her father when a storm hit and she was thrown overboard...

Strange, I thought I remember reading that she was lost falling from Hiryu, but looking back through the other versions all agree Salsa was lost at sea. Yeah Salsa, another PSX gem.

The courtyard has updated as well, general consensus is:

"Hurry back!" and/or "Good luck!"

Already done, thanks worst soldiers on the planet.

With that guard moved out of the way, we can get into the castle storehouse. While the old man said the Chancellor is outside, he's in here at the end of this secret passage.

Again, Pixel Remaster tells you what you've got. Older versions just shove the staff in your inventory.

The other chests are a shuriken (that we can't use right now at all), a kotetsu (which we could use if we switch to freelancer), and a bell (that we won't use even when the class that comes along that uses it shows up).

Thank you!

And so the Chancellor vanishes, maybe he got killed by the invisible monsters of the Wind Shrine lobby and he's a ghost now, hence how he got back.

Next time: The second best accessory in the game.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 18, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The person in the room upstairs at the inn doesn't show up until you talk to the person outside that triggers that little cutscene. After that they'll be there and you'll get explicit instructions to go to North Mountain.

Also, the Headstones on North Mountain know Flash, but you have to feed them an ether to get hit with it. If you do, though, between Silence and Flash you can pretty well shut down the boss.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Xandor TikRoth posted:

That's an awfully strange way to spell Greg.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yeah, I was surprised to see you say "no point in bothering with that blue magic spell now", since really the only time Flash is any good is against Forza.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you have a Blue Mage and a White Mage you can hit the next boss with Blind, Silence and Toad to completely shut him down.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Moral of the story, years in the FFV goon discord is not enough to know or remember everything.

However I will now forever remember that Stoker/Stalker (the boss in the island shrine) is vulnerable to sleep.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

Its one thing that you got to the Wind Shrine, but how did you get back? Did the invisible monsters finally leave you alone?

Not only is he inexplicably back here, but if you return to the wind shrine he's still THERE too. Or at least he is in the GBA version. And Jenica's in two places at once here in Tycoon as well.

This is one of the things I was planning to make fun of if you hadn't beat me to doing an FFV LP.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
For some reason I completely forgot that he was at the Wind Shrine. I thought it was just scholars there.

But nope, the chancellor's there too. What the heck? :psyduck:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Final Fantasy V is the only game I can think of where inflicting status effects isn't useless but also not overpowered.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Final Fantasy V is the only game I can think of where inflicting status effects isn't useless but also not overpowered.

I'd give Darkest Dungeon the nod on that one too.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
So...where did that third sound effect from Galuf slapping sense into his friends come from?

FeyerbrandX posted:

Moral of the story, years in the FFV goon discord is not enough to know or remember everything.

Personally, it's good that there's still stuff to discover about the game. Speaking of which, I'm not entirely sure I got all the treasure in the Tycoon castle (they didn't add any between versions, right?).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

DeTosh posted:

So...where did that third sound effect from Galuf slapping sense into his friends come from?

Personally, it's good that there's still stuff to discover about the game. Speaking of which, I'm not entirely sure I got all the treasure in the Tycoon castle (they didn't add any between versions, right?).

Not to my knowledge, I never bothered raiding the whole place myself until Career Day showed up and I looked at a tracker indisbelief in how many checks there were. I never went into that tower with all those pots, only going into the treasure stores, cottage tower, Jenica's school room and the room with the old man.

e: I didn't see the first question until now, they were all google image search for Batman fight sounds. So some random one-off villain fight I assume.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 29, 2022

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Part 7 Water Damage

Tenderness in the Air (Pixel Remaster)

Enough about ghosts, let's go to Walse. Unlike Cyrwyn since this place has plot relevancy and its been mentioned by NPCs since Tule I've been referring to it by the preferred name, while I usually internalize it as the PSX Walz.

Walse has probably the most accessible inn, front and center of town. Not pictured but the item shop is in there as well. Aside from Kirwun and a few other rare exceptions, item shops are going to share real estate with the inns.

Long live King Walse! He uses the power of the water crystal to help us all!
The Tower of Walse is to the north. That's where we get all of our water.
The crystal is kept in the Tower of Walse.

But Garula's shy, so don't tease it, okay?

The game has a major issue with Garula. Multiple NPCs make it sound like its a single creature. I'll forgive her for being wrong about where a Garula that isn't 6 feet away from her is (its in the plains, not the forests to the north).

Thanks to the crystal, the water here is the cleanest you're likely to find! Monsters don't come around either!
Is it true that Tycoon's crystal shattered? Gracious me, what's happening to the world these days?

New town, new shops. We can't use any of these spells yet. I buy out the shop anyway. Haste and Slow will change the rate that the targets ATB fills. Regen restores HP periodically in battle. Mute is a strange one, its basically Silent Lake from Suikoden, a global silence spell. Certain enemy formations (most that you'd actually care to use it) prevent it from working. There's one where it is useful.

Chobobo does damage with a random chance of doing more damage. Sylph and Remora exist to fill up spell slots.

However, if you playing at home want to gamble with the summoner's !Call ability, you don't want to buy the summons, aside from Chocobo maybe.

For the first time since Tule I buy armor (checking the footage I didn't buy a cotton robe earlier). A couple Kenpo Gis for the monks, and an Iron Shield and Armor for when I switch Galuf to Knight. The Gis give a bonus to strength.

I buy a long sword for Galuf later, but really could have skipped it.

Still pretty low level, but the number I'm most concerned with right now is that 7/20 for getting Thief's next ability. I really want it for what's next to come.

This house is in the southwest corner of the map, right next to "Ribbit Ribbit!" Frog. I call attention to this because that pot in the corner is the only hidden item in town.

The prize is garbage but if you're going for 100% completion don't forget this.

That's enough of Walse, let's see if we can deal with the crystal.

Crap, guess we can't just walk into a sovereign nation's secure facility.

Before talking to the King, I need 13 more ABP, yet my irrational aversion to leveling is causing me difficulty. What can I do?

Well first I can show another minor but nice change to the remasters. You can get on your vehicles and animal friends from a tile away.

What I'm really here for is Garula (this is a gif, a real time demonstration of the harrowing fight).

If an enemy flees, the battle ends of course. The thing is that ABP is not granted by the enemy per se, but from the formation. So the fight ends, you're not dead and it awards the point.

I misspoke during the job summaries, !Flee is the GBA name, here its !Scram. I really want the ability to nope out of some upcoming fights so I can get prizes.

Welcome to Castle Walse.
With the water's protection, Walse is undefeatable!

While Tycoon had a bunch of scholars scurrying around the Wind Shrine, it seemed to lack for books, at least Walse seems to have a better library. There's a switch immediately beneath Seymour's Butz.

It opens a secret passage.

But don't take MY word for it-look for yourself! It's written right here in this book.

...None of these bookshelves can be interacted with, there is no book. You made that up, you belong in your strange prison.

Anyway, let's get to some goodies, there's 2 caches, the first we're going for is the store room past the barracks I'm in right now.

This room is just below the idiot guard who threatens us with jail. The button below opens a door next to this guard, but all it does is open a door to the moat. The door is more of an exit if you dive off one of the aquaducts outside.

The stairs down is the dungeon as he says. The door south leads to Shiva. The door north leads to hell.

Sure what's the worst you could do?

Unfortunately it seems he may be in jail for his own safety.

Oh hell no.

Well anyway, let's go to hell. In the (US) GBA release this is a non-issue since quicksaving reset the step count for fights. All other releases require high levels, specific abilities, or cowardice.

Surprisingly enough, I'd gotten this far before triggering a fight.

The Jackanapes is quick. It's got a deceptively low 666 HP, but sky high evasion and defenses. If I were somehow lucky enough to land a hit, it would probably counter with the a blue magic spell that turns the whole team berserk. This is why I wanted !Scram.

I was deliberately saying wanted earlier. I don't need it, I can quit anytime I want.

This jerk hits hard and often. And this isn't even the worst of it. If I weren't using a thief, Jackanapes almost always triggers as a back attack. That means everyone ends up with their rows reversed and their ATB completely empty.

Being fully aware of the risks and mitigating what little I could, 2 people still died. If I didn't have a thief I'd be lucky to have one survior.

These 3 pots have 2000 gil between them, and the most useless Time Magic spell. But the game tracks item pickups so in the hole it goes along with... that blue mage ability I already said I wasn't going to mention again.

A second fight was a certainty, thankfully a thief corpse is as vigilant as a living one. I didn't make it over to the treasure chest yet so I was basically writing this whole run off at this point.

But somehow was lucky to escape unscathed.

This prize is absolutely worth the misery of this basement.

With the mantle in hand I switch to plan b since the attempt is worth salvaging now.

And begin the endless struggle of optimize putting garbage in the accessory slot. I know others prefer the Unequip option in settings, but I'm fine with fighting with one or two equipment tweaks rather than setting up someones full equip load line by line.

Much better. Now like the ice rod before, the Elven Mantle is more than just those numbers below. It gives a silent evasion boost.

Round 3 with the Jackanapes, Faris barely survives. This sets up plan b perfectly.

Plan b is !Guard while running.

Cover takes a punch that would have been lethal to Faris.

!Guard negates the damage. Now all that remains to do is let Faris's ATB fill completely and just keep holding the L and R buttons and let nature take its course. There is a slight mechanical difference in how !Guard works. In previous versions !Guard remained active until the knight does something else. Here !Guard nullifies when the knight gets a turn. So under no circumstances do I switch focus away from Faris.

My finger slipped and I went diagonal :stonk: ...Thankfully Plan B worked just as well for that fight.

While I'm not actually going to do anything with Shiva right now, I'm just walking up to show the way to her mini dungeon, just out this door.

Then up the stairs to the aquaduct.

And through the barely visible door behind the waterfall.

Hey, I got your precious treasures. Jerk. Heh,

heh.

Thats right I'm mocking that I didn't even transcribe and attribute the single "heh" that spilled over from your bloated first text box.

King Walse. You look well. I come with a request. Please, stop amplifying the power of the water crystal!
Ho ho ho... You must be joking. I could never do that!

King Walse, if left as is, the crystal will shatter!
Hmm... I have heard about the incident with the wind crystal... However... There is no evidence to suggest the same thing will happen to the water crystal.

You. Are. A. King. Your people can go hang if they disagree, literally. You can do that. At the very least you can dial it down, turn it off for a day or two. Ask a priest to bless your water.

Look, we don't have time to be arguing over thi-

Hey King, what does your soothsayer say about meteors or comets? Sure they think its a bad omen, better turn off the crystal until the omen passes.

Especially since said omen is going to hit as close to your water tower without breaking it. That's what I call a sign.

Close Call (Original)

It's an emergency! A meteorite fell near the Tower of Walse!
What!? There is no time to lose. Assemble the guard! To the tower at once!
Yes, sire!

Move out!

Time to do some prep work before following King Walse, first to revive everyone.

Now to prep for learning an important blue magic.

Next, selling all the garbage that could possibly be considered better than the cape.

Fate In Haze (Pixel Remaster)

Next, we go to the Water Tower in Walse Castle, not to be confused with the Walse Tower.

This is the enemy I want, but it needs some convincing to do what I need.

Some enemies change their attack pattern when they're alone.

To learn Blue Magic having the enemy cast it is not enough, it has to hit. This frog ran out of his MP and didn't hit, so we're going to try again.

This is the second enemy formation in the tower.

The water tower second and third floor are identical.

Finally got the spell I needed.

Here's the fourth and final floor to the tower. The green spark in the middle is Shiva.

There's an exit down here as well so you don't need to go through copy and paste dungeon. I'm not dealing with Shiva yet, just Pond's Chorus is enough.

The third step is a doozy.

Now let's deal with the crystal. 2 enemies in the dungeon have things worth stealing.

Garula, friend of children has gone amok.

Ricard Mages have several annoying spells. Their steal is a regular Rod, they have a chance to drop a better one.

Ice Soldiers and Elf Toads are also here.

Mythril Swords are a an upgrade that will be available soon, but getting some for free is still worth it.

Faris and Seymour now can now have Monk strength on demand. And since there's nothing worth learning right now...

Let's demand it right now.

Are you sure your subjects will approve?

First, let's take a detour. Early on you won't realize that this ivy isn't just for ambiance. Later on you'll have to use it to progress and by then you'd probably forget about this.

Finally an upgrade for LennaSeymour.

Despite knowing there's ivy below to climb down, Seymour just walks off the ledge.

Anyway, let's get onto the remaining enemies of the tower.

Why should I care about getting them?

Say hello to Soccer's friend Y Burn. Honorable mention to PaddleThru in the back there. Y Burn has the same Breath Wing as Wing Raptor, but since everyone has almost double the HP since then that means it hits almost twice as hard. Whenever you see the strange manta ray with a skull face like a PaddleThru, expect fighting a wall of HP.

Y Burns have another early and welcome upgrade to the simple dagger.

This rounds out the enemies in the tower. So at the very least if you're going to fill out the bestiary make sure you've got the Ricard Mage, Y Burn and PaddleThru.

Something might happen that makes returning difficult.

And here's Ricard's rapier Crosier, the special drop I mentioned earlier. I could walk back out the door and take care of Shiva now, but its not like I'd gain anything killing her right now instead of 20 minutes from now.

Here's the second to last real floor to the tower. While the first ivy climb by the king was optional, this one is not. The left ivy leads to treasure, the middle is a dead end, and the right leads to progress.

Second to last treasure, the last is right up the right set of ivy.

Here's the setup for the boss (the rows look strange but its correct since Galuf won't be fighting and Faris and Seymour are using Bare Handed.

Deception (original)

:siren:This is the last step before the boss and the last chance to get the treasures and bestiary entries for the tower.

Seymour sees more butz and is as confused as I am how a gigantic elephant tapir mammoth was able to climb the ivy.

They're controlling you, aren't they! Well, I won't let you destroy the crystal!

Narrator: He won't stop him.

So Garula is the fight where the gloves are completely off. Magissa and Forza were a step up in difficulty, but like Wing Raptor or Siren there was still a visual indication that things are different by summoning a second enemy. Garula does all the work under the hood.

Fire Rods, like Ice Rods boost their respective elements, but that isn't all they do.

They barely fail to kill Garula in a single hit.

But that'd just be a waste of 750 gil.

So let's reload and do some preparations. We're doing Jackanapes 2, Electric PaddleThru.

Everyone is in critical besides Galuf. PaddleThrus special attack inflicts poison so Faris needs to be cured but otherwise preparations are complete.

Back to Garula, I didn't completely lock him down, I only mostly did with turning him into a toad.

I could have silenced him to keep him from toggling toad back off, but he's screwed up enough. I could also have blinded him but there's something I wanted to show off that needed him to have a chance to hit.

Garula starts off semi docile, but after a you reduce his HP from 1200 to 800 he silently goes into his teaching mode. Garula starts countering damage, up to two times. In the first demonstration he knocked Faris for over 50HP, in the back row with one attack. Garula teaches that a good defense might just be a cautious offense.

If I kept someone in Monk I could have let Garula take care of itself with eating counter attacks since you can't counter counters like an Nippon Ichii game.

He also teaches a lesson in new Pixel Remaster mechanics. Notice Galuf's HP between the last 2 pictures. Garula's Rush inflicts a status effect, known as either Sap or Leak. Previously Leak would do about 7 or 8 HP per frame or ATB tic before it wears off for a total of about 50HP lost.

Here it is 1HP per tic. But worse, also look at the picture where Garula Rushed again. Galuf blocked, the attack didn't hit and yet Sap still was applied. In this fight it's a nonissue, in another optional fight later having an enemy that can just stack a pile of statuses despite being blocked or !Guarded is extremely annoying.

And before you ask, no. The game does not play by those rules for you. Contextless spoilers for a later fight: Physical attacks from a mini'd player does 0 damage, and weapon procs NEED damage to apply.

And before you ask the other question, no. Quickleak was fixed since the Matrix release. Even if it wasn't fixed, imagine enduring it for 16 hours rather than 2.

Deception (original)

But enough sour grapes, we beat an animal that went rabid and obviously saved the crystal!

Scratch that, we just put down a rabid animal.

But silver lining and everything, we have new jobs to pick up! :toot:

The soldier in red stands up and without saying a word begins to walk away.

Then collapses in the doorway groaning for... Lord Galuf?

...Me? You know who I am?
Lord Galuf... I couldn't protect it... For-forgive...me...

Protect... fire crystal... Ngh...

The Prelude (Pixel Remaster)

RIP that guy and half the pillars of creation, but jobs!

Are they gonna give us their power too?

If they don't give us their power I'm gonna shatter them more until they do, and get even more jobs out of them. So go ahead, resist.

Thanks for taking most of your strength to block the door, strength you could have used to talk more about this Lord business.

Let's get our prizes:

Time Mage
Red Mage
Summoner

Shard out of reach despite the platform its on looking like it has steps or at least a gentle incline.

Mystic Knight
Berserker

The sheer rage of touching the Berserker crystal is enough to cause the tower to shake.

The tower- it's sinking!

Run! (Original)

Somehow, despite King Walse doubting that anything could ever happen to the water crystal decided to pay the contractor for the "in case of cataclysmic failure" emergency exit.

This could have gone better.

Thankfully no one got stuck in the undertow of a whole peninsula collapsing into the sea, though that still means everyone just got shocked with cold water and need to swim a few hundred yards to shore.

Or Syldra can save us. Galuf and Seymour go into Syldra's mouth.

Syldra! You're alive!

Lenna begins to lose consciousness and drift away.

Faris, definitely not caring about Lenna as a blood relation and purely doing it because a Captain doesn't leave a crewmate behind pulls her back in.

Sorrows of Parting (Pixel Remaster, yes the link is named wrong)

Everyone's back out and safe. Now we just need to figure out how to get to the fire crystal. Maybe there's an undersea cave we can have Syldra swim us through...

Right after everyone catches their breath.

drat, the smear effect they did to make syldra's neck beneath the water looks awful.

Syldra... You used the last of your strength to save us...

Sadly Syldra can't follow that order, Captain.

Syldra...

No more escaping death, Syldra finally succumbs to the wounds from flinging the ship from Karl Boss's whirlpool. So using her to find some submerged cave system is off the table.

Gotta think of some other means. Maybe the earthquake that sunk the tower was strong enough to dislodge some rocks blocking a mountain path or cave mouth like the pirate cave back at the start.

Let's go back to Walse to tell the king we told him so and that his subjects didn't approve of his abuse of royal power search for clues. But first let's see if anything has changed in town.

Tenderness in the Air (Pixel Remaster)

The crystal is gone now, and with it, the water's power... From now on, we have to defend ourselves.
I hear they found a soldier from Karnak near the meteorite. But Karnak is way over on the western continent... If ships aren't sailing how in the world did he get here?

And if ships WHERE sailing, how in the world would he get here?

I can barely believe it... The crystal is gone
Now that the crystal's gone, the water has started getting dirtier...

That Karnakian soldier crawled out of a hole in the meteorite to the north. He keeps ranting about stepping into something or other... A "warp," was it?
I can't believe it... The Water Crystal, shattered...
*continued empty threats about the basement and jail because its not like anything important or strange has happened lately.*
The king was mauled by Garula... His Majesty is resting in his quarters.

Princess Lenna... Now that you've found your wind drake, perhaps you should return to Tycoon. Everyone must be worried sick about you.

A hint to return to Tycoon in case you beelined to Walse like you were supposed to.

Just screenshotting because I want to rub salt in this idiot's wounds.

King Walse! You mustn't strain yourself...
Their fire crystal is being amplified with a machine similar to ours. It seems that a meteorite has fallen outside of Karnak as well... There is no time to lose...

So there is some means of warp between the meteor that fell near Tule and the one that just fell in Walse.

But Karnak is so far away, there's still one more thing to do here.

She's not sealed any more or less than she was before the crystal broke, she's perfectly happy to chill in her tower until poked.

Shiva is defended by 3 Ice Commanders, they're just Ice Soldiers but moreso.

Shiva has 2 different patterns. Right now I had everyone in the back row. In this form she alternates between single target Blizzara and multitarget Blizzara.

Honestly it hurts just as bad either way. If I had people in both rows she'd alternate between targeting everyone in the front row and everyone in the back.

Haste and Slow tweak the targets ATB. Slow isn't quite as broken as it was in FFIV, as some enemies are immune.

I guess I was just being overcautious, I didn't actually really utilize the flame rod either by snapping or casting boosted fire (its only contribution was to deliver this fatal bonk from Seymour Butz).

Also another Frost Rod.

Well there's no more stalling, let's find out what we have to do to warp or whatever.

Despite crashing down in an open field this (and all other) meteorites are surrounded by trees.

No button prompts, just walk right onto the swirling green tile.

Behold, the amazing power to warp people a whole 6 feet away!

Maybe a little more than 6 feet once it warms up.

Did he just... warp?
We won't know until we try!

This... this place feels so familiar... And the oldier in that tower knew me... Who am I?

We're treated to a pan across the map as we travel by magic meteor juice. We saw this forest surrounded by mountains earlier, but was unable to see the northwest corner of it. The southeast corner is a little emptier now.

Despite everyone warping one by one before, everyone arrives at the same time.

Next time, welcome to Karnak, Flameo hotmen.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 18, 2022

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Water Crystal Jobs

Berserker

Berserkers are a loose cannon that play by one set of rules: Maim what's in front of them. Berserkers are heavily armed and armored, being the only job that can brandish hammers and axes. Their secondary ability is their only ability: Permanent Berserk.

In the Pixel Remaster the Berserker gains some benefits from bug fixes or balance tweaks. Previous releases had a bug that delayed a Berserkers first turn. Early releases also had some complicated battles that pushed some incredibly complicated combat scripts under the hood, and those complications really punished Berserkers. Now those fights merely punish them. The trade off is that you trade these good bug fixes for them also fixing a magic underflow glitch that made their ultimate weapon more ultimate.

Abilities:

Berserk (100 ABP)

User gains the automatic Berserk status.

Equip Axes (400 ABP)

Any job with this ability equipped can equip Axes and Hammers, and gain the Berserker's strength stat.

Worth mastering?

No, if you really need a way to give a class a viable strength stat, just use Bare Handed.

Mystic Knight

Mystic Knights have are a somewhat complicated job to use to their full potential. Unlike a Knight that just stabs an enemy to death, or a Black Mage that burns them to ash, a Mystic Knight requires a turn to imbue their blade with a magic spell. After that their attack has that element or status effect applied to the attack. An elemental spell only is effective when its used against an enemy weak to it, otherwise it does nothing more than a normal attack.

Now that might sound like a condemnation, since their whole schitck requires a turn to prime the spell (it does only cost half the MP of an actual spell cast for balance), and foreknowledge of what to use when, but far from it! Mystic Knights have solid stats in Strength, Agility and Stamina and negligible boost to Magic. So even without playing with their gimmick a Mystic Knight can do real damage.

New to the Pixel Remaster is status spell blades don't instantly miss when used against an enemy immune to it.

Mystic Knights have a passive ability that casts shell when they're in critical status.

Abilities:

Magic Shell (10 ABP)

Gives any user the automatic shell at critical ability.

!Spellblade1 (20 ABP)

Gives the user Fire, Blizzard and Thunder Blades. Gives a fraction of the Mystic Knight's strength boost (and magic "boost" according to the algorithms guide, this probably just means a boost to Berserker and Monk honestly, neither can USE this.)

!Spellblade2 (30 ABP)

Gives the user the above, plus Poison, Silence and Sleep Blades. Gives a little bit more strength boost.

!Spellblade3 (50 ABP)

Gives the user the above, plus Fira, Blizzara and Thundara Blades. Gives about half of the mystic knights strength.

!Spellblade4 (70 ABP)

Gives the user Drain, Break and Bio Blades. Gives the user more of the Mystic Knight's strength.

!Spellblade5 (100 ABP)

Gives the user Firaga, Blizzaga and Thundaga Blades. Gives most of the Mystic Knight's strength.

!Spellblade6 (400 ABP)

Gives the user Osmose, Holy and Flare Blades. Gives the full Mystic Knight strength.

Worth mastering?

I would say so, the cost is high but the utility of all these tools and the boost to stats for Freelancer might be worth it.

Red Mage

We come to the Red Hatted child of the system. In the grand scheme of things, if playing casually there's nothing really bad to say about them. Early on they are incredibly viable, but like Monk they suffer in the mid-game as their limited magic selection and stats fail to keep up.

In casual play this just means change to another job. In Fiesta rules it means enduring and hoping other jobs can bolster them in some way or another.

In the Pixel Remaster they gain new albeit costly life. You'll see... you'll all see :getin:

Abilities:

!Red1 (20 ABP)

Allows user to cast Cure, Libra, Poisona, Fire, Blizzard and Thunder.

!Red2 (40 ABP)

Allows user to cast the above, plus Silence, Protect, Mini, Poison, Sleep and Toad.

!Red3 (100 ABP)

Allows user to cast the above, plus Cura, Confuse, Raise, Fira, Blizzara and Thundara.

!Dualcast (999 ABP)

Allows user to cast All Red Magic above, plus any other spell the user knows TWICE

Worth Learning?

This one is a tall ask. That 999 ABP I listed above is not a typo. Honestly I'm surprised the Remaster didn't lower it since FF1 lowered exp to level and FF1 and FF3 made phoenix downs buyable to make things easier. Honestly I'd say dualcast is overkill but I can't deny its fun. If you choose to do this there are ways to grind at a reasonable clip that won't over level your actual character levels that I'll show off as they come up.

Time Mage

Time Mage is a strange class. It has the second highest magic stat in the game (excluding the Advanced Jobs, which are out of scope here), yet none of its spells use it. Black and White Mages have some buffs and debuffs, but the majority of status manipulation spells rest with Time Mage.

Abilities:

!Time1 (10 ABP)

Allows user to cast Slow, Regen and Speed. Grants a fraction of Time Mage's magic stat.

!Time2 (20 ABP)

Allows user to cast the above, plus Mute, Haste and Float. Grants more of the Time Mage's Magic stat.

!Time3 (30 ABP)

Allows user to cast the above, plus Gravity, Stop, and Teleport. Grants half of the Time Mage's Magic stat.

!Time4 (50 ABP)

Allows user to cast the above, plus Comet, Slowga and Return. Grants more of the Time Mage's Magic stat.

!Time5 (70 ABP)

Allows user to cast the above, plus Graviga, Hastega and Old. Grants mostof the Time Mage's Magic stat.

!Time6 (100 ABP)

Allows user to cast all Time magic. Grants the full Time Mage's Magic stat.

Equip Rods (250 ABP)

Allows any job to equip rods.

Worth mastering?

You get a lot of bang for your buck for mastering Time Mage. If you're not planning on mastering Summoner it's a valid choice, otherwise !Time6 is more than enough for some fun.

Summoner

Summoner is a magical beast. While Black Mage is a powerful class in its own right in a one on one fight, Summoner is an artillery piece that will raze the whole enemy party.

There are other non attack spells in their arsenal but mostly you bring a summoner to bring the pain with their best magic stat in the original game.

Abilities:

!Summon1 (15 ABP)

Allows anyone to cast Chocobo, Sylf and Remora. Grants a fraction of the summoner's Magic stat.

!Summon2 (30 ABP)

Allows anyone to cast the above, plus Ifrit, Shiva and Ramuh. Grants more of the summoner's Magic Stat.

!Summon3 (40 ABP)

Allows user to cast the above, plus Titan, Golem and Catoblepas. Grants more than half of the Summoner's Magic Stat.

!Summon4 (60 ABP)

Allows user to cast the above, plus Carbuncle, Syldra and Odin. Grants most of the Summoner's Magic Stat.

!Summon5 (100 ABP)

Allows user to cast all Summon magic. Grants all the Summoner's Magic Stat.

!Call (500 APB)

This ability will cast a random summon at no cost. Summon must be known to be casted.

Worth mastering?

If you intend to use magic in the endgame, having the Summoner's magic stat is definitely worth it.

The Mystery Crystal

There's that one shard on the ledge we couldn't reach, what's on it?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

FeyerbrandX posted:

King Walse. You look well. I come with a request. Please, stop amplifying the power of the wind crystal!

I don't think that's what she said.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I don't think that's what she said.

Counterpoint, this only gives greater evidence that King Walse is the real villain and was directly involved in destroying half the fabric of reality instead of just one piece of it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Mystic Knights are pretty nice in the context of every rerelease packaging a guide that tells you “you can kill this bulky guy with Break Blade”, and generally pretty solid for being great boss killers. I always thought their gimmick was kinda underthought though; you can often finish a fight in about a turn, and using a single !Spellblade cast is super economical for boss fights anyway so you’ll never run out of MP to tear through bosses.

And does the PR version not have item descriptions? I don’t think they always mentioned stuff like the elemental rods’ boosts but I feel like the Elven Mantle’s evasion check was mentioned in other versions.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

If you look through the inventory it does say "sometimes evades attacks" and the rods say "rods that boost _____, Casts _____aga when used as an item" but those are hidden in the inventory screen. On the Equipment menu it just goes "number go up"

But yes, Mystic Knight is a third wheel when most fights are a one sided match of rocket tag. Especially since when you get it you have very few tools at the gate. Fire/Blizzard/Thunder blade is just double damage to an enemy weak to it, but again, right now that really means you need a fight to last 3 full rounds to mean it its better than just stabbing them twice.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 30, 2022

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I only ever played the PSOne version, but I'm surprised that every good translation has clung to using untranslated Japanese for "Hiryu," while the former for all it's faults at least had the decency to call it something that makes sense, in this case Dragon. Not that good on it's own but at least you know what you're getting with it.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Hiryuu is an individual wind drake in the good English translations, and given that naming your pet a species name in another language is a known thing people do it seems fine to me.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah it's a proper noun, Magissa and the Corwaneons call them wind drakes, but Lenna calls this one Hiryu(u).

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
That dragon's significant enough that it really should have been given a name in the original Japanese script.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I thought (not based on actually speaking Japanese, of course, but words figured out from context) Hiryuu literally meant "flying dragon".

FeyerbrandX posted:

Counterpoint, this only gives greater evidence that King Walse is the real villain and was directly involved in destroying half the fabric of reality instead of just one piece of it

Hmm...

Nope. No matter what I tried, King Walse wasn't an anagram for Exdeath.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I always liked Mystic Knight because they looked cool. :v:

They get a stealth upgrade once level-3 elemental spells show up because they will straight up kill any non-boss (or maybe even some boss?) enemy weak to the respective element with an -aga sword. Good for some of the beefier regular encounters.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

And does the PR version not have item descriptions? I don’t think they always mentioned stuff like the elemental rods’ boosts but I feel like the Elven Mantle’s evasion check was mentioned in other versions.

All the Pixel Remasters have item descriptions. You swap between them and the item's stats with the X button.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Found a hosted copy of the FFV PR soundtrack if anyone wants to listen while reading

https://www.greatestgamemusic.com/soundtracks/final-fantasy-v-soundtrack-pixel-remaster/

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

MatchaZed posted:

Found a hosted copy of the FFV PR soundtrack if anyone wants to listen while reading

https://www.greatestgamemusic.com/soundtracks/final-fantasy-v-soundtrack-pixel-remaster/

Excellent, I'm adding this to the OP and to the top of the next update. I think I saw that site when looking for the OST but it suffers from the Recipe Website Curse of :circlefap: with :words: and I didn't scroll down 4 pages down to find it.

Sadly no direct links so I'll continue to provide the original OST in updates. However I have an idea for THE SONG, and even if it fails I'll eat one strike for the chance.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
Oh boy, I'm going through a replay of FFV Advanced right now and seeing the little changes to graphics and mechanics is neat.

You're also almost to the part that I'm ashamed to admit I ground for almost 30 hours straight. After the Fire Crystal is destroyed (shock of all shocks) there's a small desert that must be crossed to reach the Library of the Ancients, inside this desert there is only one monster, the Dhorme Chimera.

Its unnecessarily powerful for when you encounter it, having the ability to possibly 1 shot your party members, or 2 shot your entire party with a powerful Blue Magic spell (that I'll let FeyerbrandX explain in more detail when it comes up) that hits your whole party. It also has a wall of health compared to most other monsters you'll encounter at the time. Very unpleasant, yadda yadda.

Despite all these downsides there are a couple neat upsides for my masochistic need to master ever Job with every character:
1.The Dhorme Chimera is only ever encountered as a single monster, so the action economy means you should only need 1 turn to kill it if prepped.
2.The Dhorme Chimera gives 3 ABP when you beat one (when most encounters outside bosses give only 1ABP)

The Dhorme Chimera is actually one of the times where the Barehanded skill can still shine since it becomes possible to have one or two party members punch the Chimera to death and rake in the ABP. As FeyerbrandX has helpfully noted, there are some skills that require hundreds of ABP to master so getting essentially a 3x multiplier on ABP is really nice if you need to squeeze out a couple of desired skills (or in my case a couple of thousand ABP).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Part 8 Thread Title Drop

First up Matcha Zed has done us a great service. There IS a source for the Pixel Remaster OST, but unfortunately its embedded in a proprietary player on a page that I know I looked at when searching weeks ago but wrote off because I only scrolled down 2 or 3 pages of :words: like a recipe blog when I needed to scroll down further. All tracks that are present from that site have been added to the updates.

Pixel Remaster OST

Today's update is a long one, as there's a new town to go through and back to back dungeons that I didn't really want to break the flow of.

...Also its February and that means the FFVI Pixel Remaster is coming out soon.

Four Hearts (Pixel Remaster)

Today we begin our trip to Karnak to save the crystal. Like the Tycoon meteorite, the Karnak one missed its target by a wide margin.

The welcoming committee to Karnak's shores are most of the enemies in the field encounter table. As with other games in the series Zu's have unusually high HP for where they are in the game, but aren't particularly harder. Aegir's are the first enemy that can inflict Old status.

Zu's are another source for dropping elixirs. Final Fantasy V might even beat out Final Fantasy VI clock elixirs for how plentiful they are.

The route to Karnak is just following the mountain range north and then heading southeast once an opening presents itself. We have a choice of going to the town, castle, or this ship with paddlewheels.

The ship is off limits, sadly.

As well as the castle, so we'll just have to go to town.

Cursed Lands (Original) (Yes, Karnak uses the same music as the ship graveyard)

The Library of the Ancients is to the south of here. Professor Cid's supposed to be from that area.
Those crackpots from the Library of the Ancients have been saying we should stop using the crystal. They'd gotten so bothersome, the queen built a wall to shut them out! Er... Obviously, that means you can't get to the library anymore.
A monster crawled from that meteorite and made a beeline for the castle's crystal!
The monsters (sic) haven't tried to attack the town yet... Small favors, huh?
A werewolf popped out of the meteorite! I wonder if he really is a bad guy like people are saying...
I saw this weird old guy get taken away by the guards.
Did you hear? They've got Professor Cid locked up in the castle dungeon!

Things in Karnak seem pretty intense, between the scholars down south pissing off the Queen and a werewolf trying to get to the crystal. A fire themed town is not a good place to be a powder keg of a situation.

Weapons and armor from Jachol are known for their outstanding strength!
These old bones sure do love a roaring fire.

Piano Lesson 3

Another step towards learning the piano.

Cursed Lands (Original)

Flash was what I could and should have gotten at North Mountain by sacrificing an ether, I'll be getting it shortly.

I guess I should have walked clockwise around town since this is the Karnak greeter.

That's why we don't only have the best-quality goods in Karnak, but the best prices, too!

Since the barker outside said that equipment is good and cheap, let's check out the weapon shop. I've got enough knives for now and I'm fine with just one sword.

The hammer is new and why I skipped getting an axe in Walse. Strangely enough I can't buy any more than one (the SNES release did allow for buying in bulk for here).

Don't move! There they are!
???
You're in league with the monsters! We saw you all crawl from the meteorite-don't try to deny it!

Things in Karnak are really bad right now.

Deception (original)

Well at least despite as bad as Karnak has gotten, they didn't take away our inventory, I could even take the discount hammer out and start breaking down the walls if I wanted.

Previous versions required you to stand around for a bit of time to trigger plot, here you can just walk down to the door to set it off.

Literally set it off.

Oh, horsefeathers!
!?
My great escape, and it's another cell! That was the last of my explosives too... Nuts!

Oh, you kids think that's funny, do you? Ehh... doesn't matter. The name's Cid.
What? The same Professor Cid who made those terrible machines to amplify the crystals?

Forgive me, that was rude...
No, you don't have to apologize. It's the truth, after all. I'm to blame for everything... One day, many years ago, I found a faded old tome in the Library of the Ancients.

So, I studied the crystals at Tycoon, Walse, and Karnak, and... built machines to enhance them... But I was wrong... Increasing their power output only caused them to shatter... Oh, it's all my fault!
But why are you locked up?

Figured I could at least save the one here in Karnak. But when I tried to switch off the machine, they threw me in here.
Sounds like we're on the same team, you and us...
You're here to protect the crystal?
Yup! We were asked to, by this!

A crystal shard shimmers in Seymour's hands.

What!? But that's a crystal shard... Who are you people!?
This is terrible! Terrible! Professor Cid!

What's happened?
You were right all along... The crystal's cracked!
What!?
I turned off the amplifier, but the crystal's power output has only increased...

Yes? What about it?
Most likely the fire-powered ship is leeching power from the crystal.
Professor, please. We cannot do this alone. You have to help us!

What? But they were seen coming out of the meteorite. They're in cahoots with that werewolf!
If they can't help, I guess I can't either.
...All right, Professor.
You're willing to help me, right? I'll go ahead to the fire-powered ship. It's not exactly a safe place to be... You get ready to meet me there. I'll be waiting!

We're now free to go around Karnak Castle... but all the chests are blocked by fire. So all we can do right now is case the joint for later talk to its inhabitants.

You can't get near the crystal-not with all the flames blocking the way!

The crystal is actually just downstairs from the dungeon, but a little fire ball blocks the hallway to it.

There's a crack in the crystal... and flames are shooting out of it!
The crystal chamger is deep beneath the castle.
We figured out how to use the power of the crystal to drive our engines.
The fire-powered ship can sail even when there's no wind!
We tried turning off the machine before the crystal cracked, but...
Rumor has it that the crystals in Tycoon and Walse shattered...
The crystal's cracked and there's a werewolf on the loose... Geez, what's next!?

Captain! Hang in there!
The werewolf that came out of the meteorite is trying to get the crystal!
Karnak has prospered because of the crystal... Is this the end of our Kingdom?
Were we too reliant on the crystal?
The queen is missing!
Professor Cid is waiting at the fire-powered ship... Oh, where could the queen have gone at a time like this?

For those keeping score at home, the following crises are on deck:

• Dispute between the Crown and the scholars, including arresting the lead crystal scholar and walling off the Library of the Ancients
  • The arrest of Tycoon royalty which will at best cause a sternly worded letter from their ambassador and at worst war.
  • A werewolf has shown up and is trying to get to the crystal.
  • The crystal is cracking.
  • The Queen is AWOL.
  • There is an impending economic crash since manufacturing costs have now quadrupled since the fire crystal is no longer available for heat treating steel on demand.
  • All these Incidents happening at once does not preclude that Roland Emmerich is involved and things will get incredibly badly written at an accelerated rate.*

It's strange, but the werewolf hasn't tried to attack the town at all...

We scared him off with some of Professor Cid's explosives... But he'll be back, you can count on it.
Worry not. We won't allow any monster to take even one step within the castle walls!

Cursed Lands (Original)

I believe the only change in dialog in Karnak town right now is the Merchant looking guy who told us equipment was cheap. He now says that since the fire crystal amplifier is off things are back to full price.

Despite the increase in price (which was only present to lure you into the plot trigger for the arrest), the equipment is still a worthy upgrade. We can finally upgrade from leather hats and get some more silk robes. I didn't get any Silver Plates here, I consider the Kenpo Gi's strength boost better than the nominal defense boost.

Accessories start showing up in shops now too.

The weapon shop is going to get a lot of business from me. The Mythril Hammer was just bought so I could pawn it right back for a minor profit. I don't buy anything quite yet because the magic shops are open for business now.

The second level of elemental spells and Poison are available in the Black Magic shop. For the moment they're ahead of the curve since most enemies can be dealt with with a first level spell boosted by a rod. But soon I'll be throwing -ra spells around because I need fights finished fast, MP economy be damned.

Cura is the second level of cure. Raise revives a KO'd ally like a phoenix down. You trade a high monetary price of the phoenix down for a high MP price to revive. Confuse causes the target to reverse targeting, so an enemy would attack its allies and buff or heal the party if its got skills like that in its pool. It also breaks enemy combat scripts.

The Time Magic shop is light on spells since Walse front loaded them. Gravity, AKA Demi has a chance to cut the target's HP in half. Stop stops the target's actions for a time.

I buy out all these shops, and 3 more rods... for now.

Finally, almost 15000 letters into the 8th update we have the title drop. Behold the Wild Nakk, friend to mage classes in Fiesta rules.

It is here that I will finally kill my aversion to leveling. As I want some rods, also I need to get closer to level 15 sooner or later so may as well do it here.

??? is better known as Revenge in other games in the series. It deals damage based on how much damage the caster has taken. Which this Nakk chose to throw out before anyone had a chance to act so it did 0 damage. If it wasn't for the fire weakness and the fire rod boost Red Mage wouldn't be able to wipe the whole field, resulting in a risk of 5 angry dogs ??? your faces off.

???!

During the grind I switch Galuf to summoner briefly. Even though Galuf is de facto worst mage he's able to do about 20% more damage than de facto best mage Lenna in weighted training clothes.

Eventually I switch him back to knight. I had a plan for the next boss but it didn't pan out (I was unable to get to 2-handed before getting too close to level 15 and didn't want to stare at elephants for an hour.)

The Fire Powered Ship (Original)

Just as I suspected- The ship's engine is what's draining the crystal's power.
The engine?
Yes...If the engine isn't stopped- and quickly- the fire crystal will shatter. Will you go and turn it off?

The ship's been overrun with monsters!

He throws us straight in, but we can go back and talk to him and the crew.

Shut off that engine! It's all up to you!
You have to stop the engine!
If you don't do something quickly, the crystal is done for...
There are monsters inside the ship...
There are elevators inside the fire-powered ship. You operate 'em with the red switches.

The last one might be a useful hint, but I've managed to intuit it without ever talking to this guy before. Still, this is a completely different looking non skull based switch so it doesn't hurt to warn the player they need to look for something that LOOKS like a switch for once.

This is the last step before we get into monster town.

Apparently Karnak decided to obscure the level of technology involved and only put the machinery and steel below the waterline.

The fire ship is the first really involved dungeon. The side paths and treasures are no longer in plain sight and take one or two screens to get to, just far enough for doubt to set in on if you're heading towards goodies or progress.

Not far from the entrance we get introduced to the Crew Dusts that scholar mentioned.

Despite knowing in my bones that these jerks are immune to fire (and lightning), my heart still wants them to be weak to fire because they were Cool Dusts in PSX.

Also because I wanted to be lazy and not switch my rods from killing dogs.

True to form, they start casting flash when alone. I had to make this one cast it twice since Lenna didn't have Learning equipped, only Faris and Galuf right now.

On the way down the first detour towards treasure we meet the second gimmick enemy of the ship.

Unfortunately I miscounted and killed them all at once. These jerks also do something when alone.

Here's the freight elevator the soldier mentioned.

And here's what happens when you defeat a Defeater when they're the last enemy on the field, the strange tumor wyrm summons robot puppets?

If there's one thing I've learned is that robots don't like electricity.

Really don't like electricity.

Self-Destruct has its uses. Fewer in this version than in others but still has one glorious use.

Poltergeists exist for 3 reasons, first to screw up your ability to wipe the enemy party with blizzard spells since they absorb it. Unless you're rolling with a Blue Mage with aero they're immune to anything else in your magic arsenal right now.

Second to inflict confuse with their special attack.

This kills the Faris. Third, unseen since I'm not rolling with a thief right now, is that they're a very early source of Hi-Potions. Right now a Hi-Potion would be a full heal to everyone and a godsend if you fiesta and end up with a thief without another member able to heal magically.

This is a chakram that the thief can use from the back row.

I just realized I failed to mention the penguin doors.

Also another thing screaming at you to use thief apparently.

USE THIEF or some other melee focused non knight class.

The Green Beret is an upgrade to the plumed hat both defensively and with a slight strength boost.

The right door returns you to the conveyor room, the left leads to the final rooms of the ship's engine room.

Basically every switch in this room need to be flipped to reach the end, this one doesn't, but doing so gives access to the final treasure.

Defeater's script to spawn the robots requires them to be lucid. Putting them to sleep lets them die without a fuss.

This switch doesn't need to be flipped either if you plan to go to the end.

It returns you to the save point if you want to make sure you bank that Elixir you get up ahead.

Sleep and Confuse lock them out of their death counter.

Its at this point I realized I'm not getting to 2 hand an Blizzara Sword so just accept I'm going to just obliterate the boss.

Here would be the moment where I would warn you to get all your affairs in order, fill the bestiary and treasure list, but the ship isn't going away.

What's she doing here!?

Queen Karnak nee the Arch Duchess of Pottsylvania has strong feelings about our do-goodery.

Liquid Flame is a massive dick. I can't overstate how much of a hassle it can be. This humanoid form has a chance to use blaze as a normal attack. Blaze is the fire equivalent of Breath Wing. And when it takes damage it does Blaze again.

Liquid Flame is quick and could act before you do so if you aren't prepared for it you could just see half your life burn away. And there's a room full of encounters between the save point and this, so you might not even be fully healed when joining battle causing an even worse hole to dig out of.

Not pictured because I don't want to deal with this is that after casting the counter Blaze Liquid Flame changes forms to a tornado (spams Fira on itself to heal until knocked out of it or it runs out of MP), or a hand (immune to ice, the jackass).

We're going to learn today. Veterans of older games know this well. I already demonstrated this with Garula, but I didn't show everything since I didn't have the everything lined up.

This will not be enough, but this is a teaching opportunity.

Liquid Flame (all forms share the HP pool) has 3000HP. This is the normal experience someone playing a fiesta with Red Mage being their only caster right now.

For reference, the order of operations for rod breaking is as follows:

Character chooses to break the rod.
Rod is removed from inventory.
Appropriate -aga level spell is cast on the enemy party.
Game tells you rod is broken.

This means that breaking an equipped rod removes the elemental boost before the spell is executed.

I've reset, because I want to unmake this jerk. Now in previous releases the inventory disables selecting non-consumables in the inventory. If you wanted to break a rod you had to equip it, then break that rod.

Pixel Remaster allows you to break a rod directly from the inventory. Elemental Weakness + Elemental Boost + Elemental spell you shouldn't see until about halfway through the game = :fuckoff:

There is one minor caveat to that, you have to be able to equip the rod to use it, otherwise it's still grayed out. But why would you want your monk to break a rod anyway?

I could probably have one shotted Liquid Flame with a Summoner breaking an equipped rod, but this is Red Mage's time to shine. I said in the Water Crystal Job Summary that Red Mage is viable yet costly. Here's why.

Burn to the ground.

Burn t-

BURN!

WHOOOOOO

Silence

Oh yeah the engine's on fire.

Was on fire. I guess since that was what was drawing power from the crystal it blowing up means its safe, right?

Add a possible Regicide and succession crisis to the superposition of Incidents.

Okay, maybe not. I guess we're not to Roland Emmerich levels of obnoxious overwrought attempts at tension.

Queen Karnak!
I...I was being controlled by something- a creature of pure evil... It desires to envelop everything in darkness...
Your Highness...
The crystals... It's not just the machines that are destroying them... Something evil is using their power to resurrect itself... Please... save the fire crystal. Its in the room just through that pipe...

Galuf!?
We won't let you touch the crystal, werewolf!
Stand down. I am not your enemy!
I'm not so sure of that!

You know me? Ughhh... Can't remember a thing... Who in blazes am I?

We're dangerously close to learning what Galuf's deal is, so here's a distraction.

Close Call (Original)

The purple aura that enveloped Queen Karnak shows up around this soldier. But even before that we saw it... somewhere before.

It's no good. The switch is busted!

The ducts on the edge of the room start reattaching to the crystal dais. The crystal is getting plugged back into the power grid.

Save the earth crystal!

Get out of here, and protect the last crystal with your lives!
Werewolf!
We have to help him!

The pit that didn't drop into a firey abyss traps opens beneath the party, so even if they wanted to do something incredibly brave yet completely suicidal they're prevented from it.

Galuf... You're our only hope...

On the plus side, he didn't live long enough to steal my job crystals.

Immediately below the fire crystal room is this room with a healing pot... and a scripted sequence that prevents me from using it. :argh:

Faris, its getting redder, I'd say they're getting hotter.

Where's the werewolf?
He probably got trapped in the fire... couldn't get out...
We have to hurry! This castle was held together by the power of the fire crystal!
Hold up- so now that the crystal's gone, the castle's gonna blow!?

I may have implied or skirted around it, but it's reaching the point where its obvious: Final Fantasy V is a Saturday morning cartoon of a game. Sure, this castle made of stone and mortar is held together by fire, and the lack of fire will somehow now make it EXPLODE.

We've got to escape... and fast!

Seymour, please stop for a second and just heal up

Hurry! Hurry!! (Original) (This plays continuously through the castle escape)

Namek will explode

In 3 updates!

No, this ends here and now. Welcome to the Karnak 500. Right out of the gate we're presented with a major difference in this release. Time stops in menus.

I switch Seymour and Lenna to Black Mages so that -ra spells have better stopping power and more MP to keep casting. We need all we can get to get all the treasure in the castle.

And we're off!

I've made 2 dungeon maps for this, the first is like I did with Walse and Tycoon.

The second is the basic routing. If you're following along this will get you all the treasures.

:siren:Since we're on a time limit make sure that you fight the following enemies before leaving the castle:
Gigas
Sorcerer
Curr Nakk
Sergeant (kill one in a random battle, make sure he's dead before you beat all the Curr Nakks in the battle)
Death Claw ("Boss" of the zone, but technically can be beaten before this form spawns)

Collect all 15 treasures
2000 gil (3 chests)
Elixir (6 chests)
Shuriken
Ribbon
Elven Mantle
Main Gauche
Esuna
Lightning Scroll

The savepoint is not necessarily a trap, but you probably would want to skip it.

About a third of the chests in the race are cash, and they're free for the taking.

The remaining chests are monster infested.

Sorcerers cast confuse if they're alone, so they're honestly top priority.

Especially if they hit someone that could do real damage with an unluckly boosted -ra spell.

If you're going after all the chests, don't forget this one. My first Pixel Remaster run caused a small panic when I got to the end and saw I was missing a chest. The prize inside is one of the worst so it's one I've always skipped.

Gigas is a sack of HP and frequently counters damage with a party wide Aero spell. It's nothing threatening if you're keeping topped off. Honestly the bigger threat is the loss in time. They can also cast Aerora, but none of the ones I fought did so. I'll get this blue magic from another enemy soon.

Cur Nakk's when alone will flee.

The other reason I forgot about that other chest (a shuriken by the way) is that its next door to a Ribbon so it seems even more insignificant. Unless we go freelancer we can't equip it yet, but it provides a pile of stat boosts and many status immunities.

In addition to solo Curr Nakk fights, the only other random encounter formation in the castle is a pack of Nakks and a Sergeant.

The Sergeant will escape if I killed all the Nakks but I didn't feel like wasting the time or MP to deal with them.

After 2 minutes I decide I want the extra dash from Thief, and may as well make use of all th- wait.

That's better. Honestly I probably should have just given someone else the Mantle but still.

I didn't include the maps of the ramparts and all the small mostly identical rooms leading to the Elfen Mantle and Main Gauche (/oops spoiler) But these treasures are off on their own and require you to deliberately seek them out, but they're worth it.

That's 2

And this is the path to the Main Gauche. We're only 3 treasures away from sacking the whole place and yet more than half our time remains.

Along the way we're starting to hit Level 15, which is critical for the next dungeon.

The Main Gauche is basically the Elven Mantle in a weapon slot, and they stack so you can make someone incredibly hard to hit if you want. It's also an upgrade damagewise to the mythril knives.

Sadly the OST does not demonstrate this, but over time the music tempo speeds up, it helps the sense of urgency.

This is a throwing scroll, like the shuriken we can't use this yet.

This however can be used by White Mages, great for curing statuses, including Old.

I'm no longer afraid of random encounters, its time to learn.

As we step out of the castle gates we get one more fight with the Sergeant, this one is for keeps.

Once you kill all his curs

As he yeets himself into the sky, may as well note that if you don't care about this next phase you could just focus down the Sergeant and mop up the dogs later to skip it.

Note: there is absolutely no mention anywhere about this famed bounty hunter, or any bounty hunters.

The reason we want to deal with his true form is this... come on HIT!

There we go. Remember Karl Boss and his 2 attacks that paralyzed and set HP to single digits?

Death Claw does both at once, its a very potent blue magic.

Either way you deal with the fight it shouldn't be too tough.

2 minutes to spare

Will you lend us your power as well?

Beastmaster
Geomancer
Ninja

With this we're kicked back to the world map, where we'll pick up next time.

*Update was written with the dredge that was 2012 in mind, I didn't realize there was a new movie.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 18, 2022

Xandor TikRoth
Mar 10, 2012

I can definitely help with that

FeyerbrandX posted:

I just realized I failed to mention the penguin doors.

I've played and beaten this game several times over the years and I've never noticed that the doors look like penguins. I feel like my whole life is a lie.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

FeyerbrandX posted:

I may have implied or skirted around it, but it's reaching the point where its obvious: Final Fantasy V is a Saturday morning cartoon of a game.

And that's why I love it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Part 9 Donde está la Byblos teca?

So... On one hand the castle exploded. On the other hand it only blew up the castle and knocked over a fence which is a net positive compared to plunging a large plot of land into the sea.

But then again we only got 3 jobs this time so maybe we get more jobs the more apocalyptic the damage is?

The Fire Powered Ship (Original) (The Triumphant theme of abject failure to save the fire crystal)

FYI the following is not necessary, even if there's a bunch of scripted dialog and movement and such tied to it. Actually these are the only times you NEED to speak a word to anyone so far (excluding "walk on event tile and let nature take its course")

"Talk" to the helm on Faris's ship.
Talk to Karnak Weapon/Armor merchant.
Talk to Cid after the prison renovation.

Everything- all of this is my fault! If it weren't for me...
Cid!
Professor!
Must be tough for him...

Cid stormed off before anyone was able to tell him he merely contributed to breaking elemental forces instead of being completely responsible. I'm sure once he calms down he'll be happy to hear this.

Cursed Lands (Original)

Professor Cid's machine was what broke the crystal!? Unbelievable!
The crystals have shattered and darkness is taking over the world... It's worse than a nightmare!
The castle's gone...
When the castle blew up, the explosion knocked down the wall blocking the way to the Library of the Ancients.
Queen Karnak collapsed in the fire-powered ship... She was taken to the second floor of the inn to rest.

We were lucky to get out of the castle with our lives...
The queen has been delirious since we found here.
We rescued the queen from the fire-powered ship, but she's sustained injuries...

Before the fire crystal shattered the stairs leading to the town walls was blocked with fire. We can now access the one and only treasure.

The guy who warned us about Crew Dust's Flash spell now warns us about a new enemy. He doesn't explicitly say it but its probably fearsome because it too has a blue magic spell to teach.

Cid's grandson, Mid, is over at the Library of the Ancients. He's even more crazy about learning than Cid is!
Professor Cid's upstairs. He looks distraught, like he lost his best friend or something...

The Jachols still say the same thing about how great their town is since they can dig holes and how they can't leave town because of the wall despite massive mountain ranges being between them and home.

Leave me alone! If only I hadn't made that infernal machine...
Professor, it wasn't your fault...
Please, just let me be!

Well that's all there is to learn in Karnak, but since learned that Cid has a grandkid at the Library of the Ancients and that the Library of the Ancients is no longer blocked off maybe we should go to the Library of the Ancients?

Do you want me to repeat this?

====>Yes
No

Battle 1 (Pixel Remaster)

The desert doesn't cover the whole path but trying to circumvent it would take almost 3 times as long. What's the worst that could-

happen.

I meant to do that I had to do something like this eventually.

Aqua Breath is a bit deceptive. It isn't water element (there IS a water element but there are very few things that use it) but it does have something going on behind the scenes that will be relevant later.

There's the library, but there's one more thing to do before we check in.

This should wrap up the whole bestiary for the Karnak region. Each of these guys has something interesting about them.

Silent Bee's send out a Needle that can silence or blind the target.

Deal with it. :frogc00l:

Mythril Dragons have a blue magic spell to learn, but they need encouragement to use it on you.

Transfusion AKA Pep Up fully heals the target at the cost of killing the caster.

Lenna is now level 16, which was needed for the next dungeon.

After the battle the party just rips the shell off the Grass Tortoise, so he had that going for him I guess. These have the item icon next to them but they aren't usable yet.

Library of the Ancients (Original)

Welcome to the Library of the Ancients, where we get to play everyone's favorite game of "did I talk to you already?"

Eh, Mid? That's Professor Cid's grandson, you know.
Mid mentioned something about looking for a book... I haven't seen him since then.
None of us have the faintest idea where Mid's run off to.

And knowing Mid I don't think any of you have the faintest motivation to find the jerk.

I mean you are reading right now.

Eventually the Library of the Ancients will be a minor base of operations. So this is probably the most convenient free heal we'll have for a bit.

Some books in the basement have been possessed by monsters. Such a shame...
According to one of our texts, long ago the crystals were much more powerful than they are today. After learning that, Professor Cid created machines to increase the power of the crystals to how it once was.
Thirty years ago, a monster called Byblos appeared near the Wind Shrine... It was eventually sealed away beneath this library.

I feel like there's something quite important written within these pages...
This is the library's oldest tome. However, half of its pages have been lost, so we don't really know what it's about.

Far to the south of here is the village of Jachol. They've excavated all sorts of precious items from the ruins there.

They've also excavated all sorts of headless corpses from the ruins there too. No one seems to mention that part.

A Blue Mage's Journey "Finally started learning monsters' skills... Aero... Level 5 Death..."
A Traveler's Journal "I'll give the strange staff I found to that man from Tycoon..."

THIS ONE

All of the random encounters here are pages from possessed books. Pages 32, 64, 128 and 256 are the ones to look for to complete the bestiary. 32, 64 and 256 are the ones to look for to fill out Blue Magic lists.

The fights can be incredibly involved in the library. At their simplest they'll be a 2 stage fight. When one page goes down another one might pop up. At its most complicated you might end up fighting all of them twice in a single fight (except 256, that'll only be fought once in that marathon fight).

I love jpeg artifact skull and I will not tolerate anyone besmirching him, he's trying his best. (this is apparently due to it being stored as a particle effect, rather than a simple sprite because previous games are a nice crisp )

Level 5 Death (and any other Level _ Spell hits anyone with levels that are divisible by that number. So if I didn't take that detour to get Transfusion everyone would be dead from this.)

So Mid is missing and the basement is full of more evil books.

The library is filled with moving shelves, the trick is finding where the triggers are to move the shelves you want. In this case just walk straight into this shelf.

Usually the triggers are easy to spot, This hole was made for Butz.

Worst case if the shelves don't behave just walk to the very end of a dead end.

That's most of the puzzles dealt with. And most of the treasures are in easy line of sight.

While the Gigas in Karnak was stingy about casting Aera this Page 32 was incredibly eager to share.

I don't give any other Page 64's enough time to cast Level 5 Death any more but now Faris is safe from it too.

This bookshelf doesn't have a pressure plate or switch to make it move where we want to, it just constantly body blocks Seymour.

Page 128 doesn't do anything interesting beyond afflicting slow on someone. So I'll take this line to mention a strange thing in this release. Previous ones would let you just queue up all your actions and they'd just go off as normal if a page changes. Here, if you kill a page and have things lined up or were in the middle of menuing it kicks you out. This doesn't really mean anything besides maybe having someone stuck in a casting pose when they aren't really casting.

This room looks pretty daunting, but there's really only 3 points of interest on it. First we can't proceed since the bookshelf is stopping us from going further in that one central door. Second, the treasure that is the only one that isn't immediately in line of sight, and Third is the boss room at the very bottom.

The secret to proceeding is looking back in the bookshelf room and seeing there's a door up along the other bookcases to the left. So we need to get up there somehow.

So up along the shelves we go.

Ifrit is just a watered down Liquid Flame. He does physicals, and casts Fira or Blaze. He's such a nonthreat I don't bother to juggle to ice rods because I'd just be switching right back to fire rods for everything else in the basement.

Ifrit is also here to remind you that status effects work on bosses.

A few more Blizzaras and a self inflicted punch to the face later...

Ifrit is one of two mandatory summons to collect.

Back at the bookshelf that wouldn't let us pass...

The silent threat of being moved by force is enough to calm it down.

The treasure that was shown on the mini map above is down this stairway.

Its here that I try to set things up for the boss. I haven't posted the Fire Crystal job set yet and that was intentional. But I'll start explaining the gimmick of Beastmaster here.

First, Beastmaster will want something other than a robe to wear. Ninja Suits have higher defense and trade the strength boost of the Kenpo Gi for an agility boost.

Second, their signature ability is !Catch.

!Catch requires an enemy to be at critical health (The target must be below 1/8 of their max health), so 3 casts of Gravity from Galuf will do it.

Now that I caught something, !Catch will become !Release.

Also, !Catch doesn't trigger death scripts so no more pages come out to play. In fact it doesn't kill the enemy so you don't get experience from captured enemies.

Here's the last monster.

He casts one of the worst blue magics in the game.

I mean you might think Moon Flute seems like a good idea if you can cast berserk on a whole group of enemie casters...

But it doesn't do that, it casts berserk on YOUR party, no matter if friend or foe casts it.

This is the second to last event trigger to hit. And here's the last puzzle: if you go down through that door you end up on a small balcony.

The solution is checking this ladder out.

It's a forced fight

That you can run from :psyduck:

It still opens the door no matter how you deal with it.

Beyond is a save point, but I only had one tent after leaving Karnak and I used it after getting aqua breathed. I weigh using a cottage or just pushing through. I chose to push through.

Mid?
Stay on your toes! I have a bad feeling about this place...

Prepare for the fight of your life: literacy.

Byblos is a wildcard to fight. I could end him just as easily as I did Liquid Flame, but I want a blue magic out of him.

I am going to pay dearly for wanting something.

See this? You can probably just copy and paste this image 4 or 5 times and that would be most of his turns in this fight.

His physical attack is less damaging than Wind Slash, but notice that it did that much in the back row.

Web is a blessing, all it does is cast slow, which could be fixed with haste.

After taking several beatings I choose to go on the offensive to see if maybe some minor damage would knock him out of the murder loop.

That's almost 1/3 of his health, so like I said he isn't too hard to rush down.

But of course there's a twist. He can counter spells with toad. And that's the nice counter. If I threw a punch he could counter with protect. Protect doesn't wear off and we won't have a way to negate buffs for a long time. So if you're fighting Byblos with a purely physical team, you will probably suddenly find the fight going much longer than you planned.

And then there's a second counter that comes in as his HP drops down, he'll cast drain and you could find yourself in a very bad spiral if all you can do is !Attack and fail to do much damage through protect and drain.

Garula was a gentle nudge to stop you from just blindly hitting !Attack. Liquid Flame was a kind suggestion to maybe carefully consider your attacks and take things one step at a time. Byblos will teach you to stop doing these things or suffer.

At this point I got tired of his garbage and wanted this over.

When you !Release a monster they show up and do a move. That move might have absolutely nothing to do with what they do when you're fighting them. Banish is an endgame Time Magic spell that removes the enemy from battle.

Or at least has the chance to, it failed here. I guess this is also the best time to mention another thing about bosses.

Well right after this. Dischord has a chance to cut your level in half (just in battle, thankfully), so if this would have hit Galuf would be doing half the damage to Byblos.

Anyway back to bosses. Previous bosses have had vulnerabilities to status effects. And I obviously tried to throw this jerk into the shadow realm because I had a chance to. So bosses can be vulnerable to Instant Kills. There is a bit in the enemies data called the Heavy Flag. Heavy enemies will be immune to most instant kill moves, percentile damage like gravity, or "set HP to single digits" like Death Claw. If a heavy enemy is vulnerable to a temporary status like silence or paralyze their duration is shortened.

So after that Banish failed I could have still followed up with spamming Death Claw if I had Blue Mages and then pushed him over when one hit.

But after resigning myself to death and waiting for him to finish Galuf off he finally pulled out Magic Hammer.

My mana!

However will I survive?

By doing 400 more HP than he could ever possibly have.

Death is but a door, time is but a window, if I had a gil for every time I heard those words...

So at the bare minimum 60 gil.

On top of all that I have to walk the last 4 steps to Mid. I'm unsure if there's encounters in this room but I wasn't about to wander around to find out (Mid is now the 4th thing that requires direct intervention to progress plot).

Huh? I told you not to bother me when I'm reading!
Don't tell me you were engrossed in that book the whole time!?
What whole time? Now that you mention it, I did hear some rustling behind me... Was that you?
!?
...!?
You've gotta be kidding...
A strange bird, this one...
Whatever... Guess it's time to go back, huh? You guys coming, or what? I know a shortcut!

...trying as hard as possible to be impartial to Mid.

The shortcut is where the guy thought he found the book he was looking for and proceeded to do nothing with.

Mid! There you are!
Mid! You're all right!
Thank you for finding Mid!
Thank goodness you're safe!

Deep... breaths...

Oh yeah! Look at this! I found the most amazing book! Check it out... I bet with this method, we could get the fire-powered ship moving! I've gotta tell Grandpa Cid about it right away!
Cid?
Oh, you know him? He's my grandfather. Grandpa is so awesome! When he gets absorbed in his research, he's unstoppable- he never gives up until he's found the solution!

What're you talking about?

What!? He would never do that!

And as abruptly and rudely as he has been for every moment we've seen him he leaves.

Wait-Mid!

I'm so glad that Mid is all right!
Mid just ran out of here. He looked pretty flustered.
Mid was muttering something about the professor...
Mid rushed out of the library. He said something about finding Professor Cid...

So Mid is going to check up on Cid so its back to Karnak we go. I switch Seymour to geomancer because I wanted to see if they behaved like Matrix or not (it behaves like the other releases)

If you are walking right up against the coast of the map you get a beach background.

Despite the screen filling wave, this is the first !Gaia effect for the beach.

The results are a little underwhelming for what just happened (it's still lethal to them though).

Feeler is the special attack that causes Old status.

It can be incredibly hard to tell when Galuf gets hit by Old. Hell some jobs like Black Mage Seymour can be just as tough.

For some reason I decide I want Faris to do something else. Maybe it was because !White4 is sufficient for every white magic spell there is right now. Maybe it was just because I wanted to kill things faster. Maybe just to show that since in the wind crystal jobs Faris wears gender neutral clothes since we don't know the story of the captain til between the Wind and Water crystals while starting with the water crystal some feminine clothes start showing up. (Yes, the berserker clothes are gendered. Wolves for the Galuf and Seymour, Big game cats for Faris and Lenna)

it was because I wanted to murder something with !White4 boosted throws.

Cursed Lands (Original)

Mid isn't here?
Come on, man. Pull yourself together!
Leave me alone... Don't waste your time on a worthless old lump like me.
Grandpa!

Silence

Mid proceeds to flap his arms at Cid.

Ouch! Mid, stop that! What are you doing?
What am I doing? What are YOU doing, you silly old fool!? You never give up! Never!
Mid...

You told me that if you mess up, you have to start over and try again... What happened to that!?
Mid... Just try again...

The Fire Powered Ship (Original) (Now with real sense of triumph)

Of course I am!
It's not over. The earth crystal is still out there!
Yeah, but where?

We'll need the fire-powered ship!
Yes... We'll need to get the ship moving again. But without the crystal...
Way ahead of you, Grandpa. Just look at this!
Mid! Where'd you dig this up? Hmm... Ahh, I see, like that... Nice work, Mid, this could do it! All right! Let's get to work!
Yeah!

After so many words, Cid just nods at Seymour. Other than the Bar tender and the random guy at a table 30 feet away sharing a quantum entangled brain no one else says anything different.

Professor Cid skipped out of here, happy as a lark. Wonder what happened.

As soon as the party steps on deck Mid just stomps up...

And throws the deck panel out from under his feet.

Really don't like Mid. Its not so much for him being a jerk, he's a kid, I guess I should overlook it. No, its far more insidious than that.

Cid and Mid are now our Navi. Think about the last 9 updates, most NPCs we only interact with once, maybe 2 or 3 times if I'm going out of the way to show optional dialog. Right now, we had to talk to Cid once. I had to talk to Mid once. And then the event trigger tile made them both talk, and its happening again right here. And its going to keep happening.

This sounds dangerously like "free inn stay" doesn't it?

Galuf, what's wrong?
Yes... you do look even stranger than usual.
:iceburn:
Galuf, are you all right?
My head...

Lenna's poisoned again?

It was like I could almost remember...

Sorrows of Parting (Pixel Remaster, yes the link is named wrong)

K... Kri... Krile...

Galuf! What happened!?
Did you remember something!?

I came here in a meteorite sent from another world. Because... Because the evil we'd sealed away thirty years ago was beginning to reawaken... I came here to stop it...
Evil is reawakening?
That's right... And a terrible evil at that- the dark warlock, Exdeath!

30 years ago there were 4 standing stones in this valley. And then there was one.

I came here once before, to seal him away, thirty years ago...
So, if all four crystals are destroyed, then the seal you placed on Exdeath will be broken?
Right... Ughhh... my head...
Galuf!
Still... can't remember clearly... Urgh... We can't... allow Exdeath to... be revived...

I'm... okay...

The Fire Powered Ship (Original)

The next morning we wake up before Cid and Mid, and can't even get through the snores.

Come on kid, I'm trying so hard here to only hate you for the fact that you're constantly standing on or near event triggers through no fault of your own.

Hey! It's finished! We are so awesome!
Presenting... a boat that will sail without any wind!
Now we have a ship, we can go find the earth crystal!
Righto! We're counting on you. We'll return to the Library of the Ancients for now.
We should be able to find more clues there.

And with that, we're free to explore the world.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
For some reason, I don't remember Byblos being that difficult. Maybe my first playthrough of FF5 was when I was a dumb kid messing around with Gameshark codes.

Also, it's just now that I remember Seymour from FFX.