Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Part 13 The cursed part

We're almost wrapped up with what we can do here, but one more thing before we head off to help Galuf. We have to go back to the Library of the Ancients.

With Control we can get one more Blue Magic from Page 256.

I went down to the lowest depths of the basement, since early on it doesn't seem like they show up often enough. Since I was trying to avoid leveling without Galuf I ran from most fights. The ones I took to get a Page 256 starts with 2 Page 128 fights.

I'm unsure if I'll use this when there's better means of cutting defense but gotta get it on the pile.

Here is showing just how powerful the Javelin is, its only slightly weaker than an endgame hammer.

Unfortunately Mid's shortcut doesn't work after we settled with Byblos.

Four Hearts (Pixel Remaster)

Here's the point of no return.

It's all the power that was left in the meteorites.
No turning back now!

That doesn't matter... This is more important.
Aye. We're in this 'til the bitter end.
All right then... let's go!
I suppose this is goodbye to our world... Farewell, Chancellor...
...Buck up, mateys. I know you can handle the looting and pillaging without me.
Be good while I'm gone, Boko! Don't get into too much trouble!

:siren::siren:What? I mean Wham!:siren::siren: (suggested listening if you want to experience a sliver of a fraction of the years that this goes through my head whenever this happens in game.)

Jitterbug

Jitterbug

Jitterbug

Jitterbug

You put the boom-boom into my heart

You send my soul sky-high
When your lovin' starts

Jitterbug into my brain

Goes a bang

bang

bang

'Til my feet do the same

But something's bugging me

Something ain't right

My best friend told me

What you did last night

You left me sleeping in my bed

I was dreaming
But I should've been with you instead

Wake me up before you go-go

Don't leave me hanging on like a yo-yo

I don't wanna miss it when you hit that high

'Cause I'm not planning on going solo

Take me dancing tonight

No Music, waves in the distance

Okay, maybe none of that actually happened and everyone just landed head first on a tiny isolated island.

There isn't much to this place. In earlier versions periodically Lenna would pop up and say we should rest, but this prompt is different in this version.

Only one enemy to fight.

There isn't much reason to beat these little guys up either.

100% chance to drop tents though.

I could have used a tent immediately after landing, but instead I walk into this forest.

So instead of Lenna urging you to sleep every minute or so, she only says this when we step into the forest.

Crickets

... Lenna... There's something I've been wondering about... It was way back when we were on North Mountain... Why'd you risk your life to save that drake?
Do you remember Mother?
Eh? Hmm... Aye, a little...
Whenever I see Hiryu, I'm reminded of her...
How do you mean?

An icy wind blows through the forest and blows the fire out.

Close Call

Thanks for the warning Seymour.

No fight though, the monster just flies away with Lenna and Faris.

Lenna! Faris!

He's back for seconds.

Battle 1 (Pixel Remaster)

The Abductor is a rude welcome to Galuf's world.

A one on one fight with an enemy that can fling out attacks that put you in critical health isn't very neighborly.

Give me a better welcome when you find me in Hell.

I hate this island.

Silence

The enemy didn't drop anything in battle, but he did drop something on the map.

Oddly enough this chest doesn't show up towards completion.

There's no leaving camp.

So let's just get our loot and call it a night.

Seymour, Ether is a gas too so just grab a bottle and get what you can.

So that Abductor fight wasn't something you have to win (The lack of boss music might have indicated the lack of actual threat), it just ends with skipping the gas chest and goes right onto the next scene.

The Evil Lord Exdeath (Original)

Here comes Exdeath, strutting around like he owns the place.

Perhaps I should thank you... You are about to become quite useful to me!

The giant mirror is sort of underwhelming after you start throwing words like "Fortuitous" around.

Seymour Butz! Look, up in the sky?
A bird? No, wait- it's our reflections!

Come to Exdeath's basement, bring no weapons, ask no questions as to how any of this works. Its a Saturday morning cartoon.

Seymour Butz! Lenna! Faris! What in blazes is going on?

Hell's bells! Everybody, fall back!

Watch them. See that they don't try anything.
Exdeath! You-

Argh!

Silence

Seymour Butz and the others need my help! Release the wind drake!

The Four Dawn Warriors

Yes, sir!

And so Galuf forgot that he should have got onto the Wind Drake (note that it is not Hiryu) before having the soldiers release it.

Or he just wanted to be a bad rear end and run along side it before leaping 20 feet into the air.

Krile waves goodbye to the crazy man.

Despite the bridge going from north to south before, now it spans east to west. Maybe I shouldn't have joked earlier and had Chrono Trigger portal transitions because the Guardia Bridge goes east to west when you fight across it but north and south when you're on the world map.

The second step on that stairway on Exdeath's Balcony is a doozy, Galuf drops down to the first floor.

Exdeath apparently is a competent enough cartoon villain to take the hero's equipment. He is not competent enough to put it somewhere other than his lobby.

Seymour Butz, Lenna, Faris... hold on! I'm coming!

The door just north of the chest leads to a save point and a healing spring.

These stairs down lead to the dungeons.

There's generic monsters wandering around in this cell, but we have no doors or any means of interacting with them.

It wouldn't be a villains lair without enemies wandering the halls. Tarantulas can inflict slow with their webs. Shell Bears... are just bears, they hit hard. Oddly they don't have the Shell status or anything.

The path to the dungeon is uneventful otherwise. No treasures or anything to distract Galuf from :black101:

Unfortunately he's not particularly stealthy in his approach. Kudos for Gilgamesh for actually keeping an eye on the prisoners and not just taking a nap or anything like you'd expect.

The Fierce Battle (Pixel Remaster)

Say hello to one of the best characters in the game.

All he does here is attack.

I put Galuf into Red Mage for this fight just because I want to completely trivialize it.

Necessary? No, of course not. Funny? Yes, indeed!

Mini Greg can't hurt Galuf, and Galuf with the Red Mage's lousy strength stat can't do much damage either.

Hmm... we might be here awhile.

Surprised it bothers to tell you this, since the status is visible.

You don't need to deplete Greg's HP. You just need to do enough damage.

Truer words were never spoken.

The Dawn Warriors

Sit tight! I'll have you out of there in a jiffy.
Thanks, old man.

So Galuf's world is somewhere in the midwest. We're in for a dire slog.

But enough about the perilous standoff about what you call carbonated beverages, the band is back together!

Since the Javelin is descent enough, I may as well let it get some use.

Sadly the Pixel remasters have broken one of the best things of the original game. You may have noticed in screenshots that if the party doesn't pour out of Butz to have an involved discussion, the one who talks takes the lead. In this case even if I have Lenna, Faris or Galuf walking, Seymour takes priority here.

So we can't see Galuf limbo past these guys who can't do anything to us even if they did see us.

Next time, Assault on an Above Average sized Arch.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU