Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you finish resolution?
This poll is closed.
Yes 5 38.46%
No 0 0%
Just ban me now 8 61.54%
Total: 13 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

2. Don't watch MCU movies more than once in theaters, it would have been impossible pre-COVID but now I think I have the willpower to resist

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Do not spam the very important resolution megathread with your discord drama

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I watched Spider-Man: No Way Home twice but that was in 2021, I'm a changed man now.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Namtab posted:

Do not spam the very important resolution megathread with your discord drama

So I can poo poo post with zep if it's not related to discord?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MonsterEnvy posted:

I will watch all of Dragon Quest the Adventures of Dai. Currently at Episode 5.

Doing pretty well checking back at this. At episode 64 of the current 66. Soon I will be able to just watch weekly.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

For the actual :toxx:, I want to watch all of the monogatari series this year. (No, katanagatari doesn't count).

In addition, though I'm not toxxing on this part, I'm carrying over the list of monthly anime from last year and trying to complete those too, though I reserve the right to stop watching any show that I'm really not enjoying.

Jan: Level E - AlternateNu
Feb: Tada Never Falls In Love - Paper Lion
Mar:Tsuritama - Tales if Woe
Apr: Cross Ange - Namtab
May: Ping Pong the Animation - thetoughestbean
Jun: Paranoia Agent - chiasaur11
Jul: Skull face bookseller Honda san - CrazySalamander
Aug: Hoozuki no Reitetsu - EverythingBurrito
Sep: Prétear - Tulalip Tulips
Oct:Tokumu Sentai Shinesman - GorfZaplen
Nov: Flag - Davincie
Dec: Princess Tutu - Julias

First update: finished rewatching bakemonogatari and found a way to watch Level E.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

;_;

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Have now rewatched the kizumonogatari films. Time to take a dive back into Nisemonogatari again.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched/am watching 3 seasonals.

I finished Arcane.

I'm playing Tales of Berseria right now.

I need to pick up my pace.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Without a sympathetic mod, the nisemonogatari simulwatch is in doubt

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't touched my older backlog but I finished another 2021 show :toot:
eventually I'll have to watch something that's not donghua but I still have a few left lol

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I started watching Superstar and I'm going to finish it before the live on Saturday, Squark.

Happy?

You fucker?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
THAT'S NOT FROM TODAY.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Finished rewatching Nisemonogatari today. And it's still not great! Hopefully the rest of the monogatari series going forwards picks up where this entry dropped the ball.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Finished Nekomonogatari Black. A nice prelude arc, definitely a huge step up from nisemonogatari. I've just started Monogatari season 2, but between this and Nekomonogatari, you can really tell there was a lot more creative talent and energy put into the series at this point, where the directing and visual metaphors get a lot more interesting and dynamic compared to bake and nise. It might also be the case where the studio, SHAFT, had more resources at this point, especially in part due to the colossal success of Puella Madoka Magica a couple of years prior.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Julias posted:

I've just started Monogatari season 2

Looking forward to your post after watching all of season 2 Julias. It certainly contains my favorite arcs out of the whole series.

It's such a strange pinpoint in anime, so iconic in that the characters, the snappy dialogue, the VA work, the art direction, and the music are all so exemplary but there's that creepy-as-gently caress element in ~5% of the runtime that's like having a turd on your plate next to a 4-star michelin meal.

The SHAFT creative talent on display is impressive on all fronts for sure. It's what got me to go back into their catalogue and watch Hidamari Sketch (which I love), and then eagerly look forward to their adaptation of 3-gatsu no Lion which has been an absolute masterpiece.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Just finished 428 shibuya scramble because I am mentally unwell and pick the longest loving VNs for my toxx. It’s pretty good although it has my pet peeve of text not appearing quickly enough.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

oh no i forgot i posted in here now i'm on the hook

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I finished Monogatari second season and Hanamonogatari a few days ago now, and they were both excellent. Definitely glad I pushed through nisemonogatari to watch them.

It's really cool how the story plays around with various POV narrators, and how that affects their perspective of other characters, the events going around them, and how the anime builds this into how they (and by extension the viewer) perceive the world around them.

It's also really interesting seeing how one of Oshino Meme's catchphrases comes back in a huge way thematically People can only save themselves. In the previous seasons we've seen araragi help out many people with their current predicaments, but in most instances those were just stopgap measures for the time being, and not solving the underlying issues these characters had. In second season Hanekawa is the one who deals with Black Hanekawa and integrates with her. Nadeko is the one who, through talking with Kaiki, is able to overcome her obsessions and move forward in life. Kanbaru is the one who has to confront her inner demons of what she might have become and deal with Rouka's ghost. Even Mayoi is the one who has to make the choice to go back to the afterlife to deal with the unknown darkness that potentially threatens the lives on many people and to not continue being the Lost cow spirit

Definitely my favorite season of monogatari so far, and curious where the story goes from here.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I couldn't even remember what my toxx was, lol.

So far I have finished 1 VN, AI: The Somnium Files: Nirvana Initiative. It's basically just more AI1, which is a good thing. I was kind of split on whether I liked the twist about the timelines secretly jumping back and forth, but the more I think about it, the more I like it.

uhhh, I guess I'll also count Elden Ring as a JRPG for copout purposes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
In 2010 I found the complete box set for Patlabor (the TV show) dirt cheap at a going-out-of-business sale. It's 2022 and I still haven't sat down to watch a single episode.

In 2016 I bought Turn-A Gundam at a friend's recommendation. I haven't watched that one either.

This year I must do one of these two things; preferably both, but at least one.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Tsukimonogatari finished. Visually interesting, but the story this time felt rather lackluster. Granted, it's hard to say how relevant it is since it seems like it's important set up for owarimonogatari, so I'll have to wait and see how that arc plays out.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bad Seafood posted:

In 2010 I found the complete box set for Patlabor (the TV show) dirt cheap at a going-out-of-business sale. It's 2022 and I still haven't sat down to watch a single episode.

In 2016 I bought Turn-A Gundam at a friend's recommendation. I haven't watched that one either.

This year I must do one of these two things; preferably both, but at least one.

I'm watching Turn-A right now with a friend. She's pretty hooked.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Gonna carry on my unfinished Gundamwatch from last year.

Turn A Gundam
Gundam Wing
Build Fighters
IGLOO

Finished Gundam Wing, only took me like 8 months or so. Started off not super into it but by the final arc I was pretty invested. Great final fight scene in the hallways of a falling space station too. Kinda funny how it was a CCA speedrun by the end.

Going to try something more modern next, so I'll be watching Build Fighters.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

For the actual :toxx:, I want to watch all of the monogatari series this year. (No, katanagatari doesn't count)

I finally managed to finish this, completing my toxx :toot:

Following up from the previous post, here are a few short thoughts.

Owarimonogatari: the sodachi arcs and the missing gap from season 2. I really enjoyed the more down to earth, realistic nature of Sodachi's arcs, even though I was confused by Ougi's involvement in it. In hindsight after finishing s2 it makes sense and makes the arc work better, but on a first watchthrough it just feels like weird filler with too much emphasis. The back half works really well as a conclusion to Shinobu's arc, and was just a solid story.

Koyomimonogatari: a collection of short stories, ending with the setup for the next season. Not much to say other than it was a quick breeze to watch and enjoyable, especially the ending.

Owarimonogatari s2: the real conclusion to the series. Some really good visuals this season, and an enjoyable conclusion that wraps up koyomi and ougi's arcs, in a meaningful manner.

Zoku Owarimonogatari: the continuation from the conclusion. As a standalone story, it was enjoyable, perhaps a bit too long, and there was some good musings and conversations to be had, it helped flesh out a couple of characters, and has a final statement about lingering regrets that let's it work as a conclusion. But it honestly felt pretty unnecessary as a conclusion following Owari s2, which just worked stronger as a finale both in terms of tying the main themes of the series together.

Overall the series was a very enjoyable watch with lots of great themes it explores and fun characters. It's just a shame Nisemonogatari sucks rear end, comes early enough to chase off a lot of viewers before the series gets to its best arcs, and is too important to be able to skip.

Guess I'll start working on the suggestions list next.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Tales of Woe posted:

i will watch G Gundam, Gundam X, and Gundam IBO this year.

i've finished all of these now, resolution complete.

Gundam X was my favorite of these much to my surprise, i didn't really know anything about it going in but loved the cast and the soundtrack, and the story was well done and kind of refreshing in its straightforwardness especially compared to wing. easily slots in as my 2nd favorite series after Turn A, just one of those rare shows that hits above its reputation for me on all fronts

IBO was good but i had high expectations because i think very highly of both Nagai and Okada and i don't think either of them is quite at their storytelling best here. probably my favorite fights in the franchise though, the sound design in particular is brutal and really effective. a good modern gundam show but i await a greater one in the future

G Gundam was decent and i got into it by the final stretch but this fundamentally isn't as much my type of show as the war drama gundams even if it's well done, same way that i feel about build fighters

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Gonna carry on my unfinished Gundamwatch from last year.

Turn A Gundam
Gundam Wing
Build Fighters
IGLOO

Ok, whew, Build Fighters was an absolutely amazing ride. An incredibly thrilling sports show that never wasted an episode. I'll just copy/paste my list of 10 favourite fights in from the main Gundam thread.

quote:

1) Build Gundam MkII vs Beginning Gundam (I dunno why a side fight between two non-main suits resonated so much with me, but it was cool to see Sei and Reiji have a friendly bout between pals. Also the animation for this particular fight was amazing)
2) Star Build Strike vs Sengoku Astray (Punchman fights rule and this was the ultimate punchman fight in BF, and it also ruled)
3) Star vs Fenice (Everyone loves this fight. I did too, funnily enough)
4) The Big Final Battle (The Chinan Kick is just way too cool)
5) Kampfer Amazing vs GM Sniper K9 (Sniper duels? Tres cool, also the little plastic Zeon soldiers made me laugh)
6) Star vs Evil Amazing Exia (Every Gundam show needs to have a corridor fight near the end)
7) The Actual Final Fight (Was cool and suitably tragic)
8) Beargguy III vs Knight Gundam (I just really liked the Beargguy training montage)
9) Star vs Qubeley Papillon (Fight for your love, Reiji)
10) The Baseball Fight (Cmon, it's gotta be in everyone's top 10)

Next up, Turn A Gundam.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MonsterEnvy posted:

I will watch all of Dragon Quest the Adventures of Dai. Currently at Episode 5.

Currently at 98 only two episodes left to air.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous

Paper Lion posted:

it was very fun last year to watch whatever stuff people wanted me to watch. even gundam seed!!! so i will do the same challenge again. if you are someone posting a toxx in this thread, you are entitled to make me watch an anime show or movie of your choice. if you try to be stinky and make me watch gintama or detective conan or something that has run for eons then i will ignore it, or if its something i watched too recently like in the last challenge or something. to paraphrase from garth brooks talking about posting online: "when i think about things i wanna watch, i wanna watch cool stuff, slick stuff, neat stuff."

so come toxx in this thread so you can make me watch something and have fun watchin anime and postin with pals!!! you can do it!!!

current list:

Gosenzo-sama banbanzai

Belatedly: my friend, have you tried Sarazanmai or Yurikuma Arashi? They’re both pretty short shows but each is a wild ride. I recommend watching both since they feel like companion pieces to one another thematically. (Also the English dub of Sarazanmai is genuinely top-tier and possibly the most natural-sounding of any localization of an Ikuhara show.)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gonna miss you guys when I'm banned in December 31st.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

:same:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually that's a lie I'll only miss the people in the Misc. Shounen thread and the One Piece thread, the rest of you can go gently caress yourselves.

EDIT: And the Bleach thread, y'all are a'right.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

!tell zep @2023-01-01 it's time

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

!tell zep @2023-01-01 it's time

gently caress YOU.

I'M NOT GONNA MISS THE PEOPLE I'M GONNA SEE ON DISCORD.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MonsterEnvy posted:

Currently at 98 only two episodes left to air.

Done watched all 100 episodes of Dragon Quest the Adventure of Dai.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

My resolutions:
1. As above, make my life at the end of the year easier by compiling the resolutions
2. Watch 24 things from my extensive collection of anime DVDs that i keep buying and never watching.
3. Watch 2 seasonal anime per season
4. Play and finish a minimum of 2 visual novels.
5. I now have mod permission, so i must simulwatch the monogatari series up until (at minimum) the end of nekomonogatari (black). This is a bad idea

1.) Done
2.) So far I just watched TTGL, so 19 to go lol
3.) I watched 1 seasonal anim from each season so far
4.) read Shibuya Scramble. 1 more VN needed
5.) Cancelled because nise is a chokepoint for simulwatches.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

Belatedly: my friend, have you tried Sarazanmai or Yurikuma Arashi? They’re both pretty short shows but each is a wild ride. I recommend watching both since they feel like companion pieces to one another thematically. (Also the English dub of Sarazanmai is genuinely top-tier and possibly the most natural-sounding of any localization of an Ikuhara show.)

i watched them both when they first aired. i liked yurikuma and really really did not like sarazanmai (and penguin drum)

i finished gosenzo-sama, it was generally good though i was kind of underwhelmed by the ending and feel like the story was ultimately kind of pointless. i did enjoy the presentation and theatrical nature of it, the first episode in particular reminded me of plays like the glass menagerie and uncle vanya.

Paper Lion fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 23, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sakurazuka posted:

I will watch at least one episode of anime this year

I have fulfilled this btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sakurazuka posted: