Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
punk's been dead for a while. cyber? it's here to stay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

counterpoint: there is not good reason to believe we're on a path towards full-fledged mind reading

it's about as inevitable as flying cars, level five autonomous vehicles, and human intellect general purpose AI

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if the legislation is to get out in front of more techno-charlatanism like people using FMRI in place of polygraphs, with the same kind of accuracy, but an all new veneer of respectability, then it's fine.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

the writing style here is insufferable

they desperately wanted to tell a story. the actual story is a single paragraph halfway through the article, but presumably they're paid by the word

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yesterday i learned that the cyberpunk genre and its progenitors are racist because the aesthetic leans heavily on orientalism due to 80s western fears of eastern dominance

i learned this because someone in the cyberpunk 2077 thread in games asked a CDPR dev who posts there why they made the game

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

probably nothing, i mean, they've got all the possible outcomes covered right there in the headline

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Midjack posted:

that thread is an amazing dumpster.

it really is.

i got the game on sale and started posting there just to bullshit about it as i played thorough but about 2/3rds of that thread are weirdly aggressive about everything, the other third are just weird

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the dev has not responded, presumably because they have sense enough not to make a public statement on that subject on behalf of their entire company on the something awful dot com forums

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

do they explain why people wear jackets with neon lights inside the collars

i feel like those must be annoying as poo poo to wear

because it looks cool

you must suffer for fashion

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

man, i didn't know ground effects were still a thing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wait, are they reporting on that thing that was a joke by a russian agricultural group several years ago?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://msh.mosreg.ru/sobytiya/novo...russia%2F685484

https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonchandler/2019/11/29/virtual-reality-used-to-relax-cows-into-producing-more-milk/

*it was a joke meant to drive interest in the agricultural group's conference

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wow. huge if true

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh cool, we're weaponizing tempest against malware now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cop files: nothing but rear end

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i learned on 3dsmax in the late 90s and was always "WTF is this?" when trying to use bryce

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 30, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

this is a pretty bad photo because I was drunk and standing on a hill so it's all wonky but otoh that sky colour :swoon:

it's like a television tuned to a dead channel

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

in the cyberpunk thread? probably not.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

huh.

why did you tell us what the game was?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you should go to better bars

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's a kiosk with an alexa innit

and an inkjet style liquor dispenser

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

So their infotainment systems just execute whatever code it receives? That's awesome.

I'm guessing this is some feature that was built in for the factory or dealerships to OTAP firmware updates?

no, and also no.

it's an image file for ostensibly album art, being broadcast OTA by the station. the infotainment unit caches the broadcast image data and tries to read and display it, and fails due to bad error handling, and then reboots. immediately post-boot it finds the file in cache and attempts to display it, etc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot HD Radio was able to transmit album art along with the other metadata. I haven't listened to the actual radio in a car new enough to have that feature.

i had managed to go about a decade without listening to the radio in a car, so i was surprised to see it in my business partner's new hyundai

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

would be cool if nhtsa banned all oem car tech capable of displaying anything except text in a car but i know that horse is long out of the barn

segmented led/lcd/vfd only

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

without a doubt.

that very slight jitter on all the display segments because of the elements vibrating is just :kiss:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

I picked up a dot matrix vfd at Active Surplus one time but of course had no controller chip or any idea how to make it work. was neat to look at though

if you don't mind the lazy man's complete overkill, you can drive it from an rpi, probably without any adapters

man, i miss active surplus a lot. i used to go down a couple times a month just to wander around and see if anything caught my eye for a project. above all electronics is gone now too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

so i drive a honda accord but i have this loving thing on the hondalink called Aha Radio that wont loving go away. How do I get rid of it

buy a new car

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

chapter 2: the power of incredible violence

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. it has the muzzle velocity of an airsoft rifle and the rounds just get lobbed out.

this is someone's high-school project

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

don't make me get my anvil!

it's still neat to see it in a holdable package that can lob a bullet-sized payload a modest distance. [s]I feel like one of those youtube maker channels made a[s/] that channel was arcflash labs and the gr-1 anvil is their latest model. maybe they were hiding the power line, or the distance was smaller, but their earlier videos had better speed and performance

it's neat for sure, it's just funny seeing something that's been a perennial student project for like 30 year as "cyberpunk"

but yeah, some of these are great

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

metal gear?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/rosalyster/status/1493985991627001859
https://twitter.com/64/status/1493998206648139777

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm vaguely aware of the history of disney's planned communities, but i wanted to post that second tweet and decided it needed some context

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol.

that quote and that paraphrase to not quite line up.

otoh, maybe musk will save them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

absolutely in awe of all the DCS footage being reported as "actual real life combat footage! wow!!" by ostensibly real media outlets, let alone on social media

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is that a show I would like to watch it

it's a hit film that came out in 1995

perhaps you've heard of hackers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's a 2 VCD version of the japanese cut floating around, for maximum verisimilitude