Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

as someone raised by mental health professionals who has been in therapy for a long time (explains something?)

the idea that you could ever have a one-size-fits-all approach to mental health care, let alone one using a goddamned blackbox AI, is horrifying. therapy is intensely personal and good therapists are trained to let people take their journey at their own rate, because anything else simply does not work.

like i guess an ai could be used for a function like detecting "sex" and "12 years old" and doAlertCPS(); but giving platitudes and generic suggestions without a trained human understanding of the situation...oh my god

i've seen therapy apps that amount to fuzzy logic lists of suggestions, like a wall of pamphlets at the doctor's office, but never one that actually tries to be the therapist. i'm aghast

I quite liked the Zachtronics game/visual novel “Eliza” as an exploration of this exact theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU