Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

Captain Tom(R) brought to you by Fever Tree(tm)

https://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/otterbeck/captain-sir-toms-london-dry-gin/

don't even try satire these days imo, reality is always waay ahead of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's annoying that none of my relatives corpses will have much trade in value.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

crispix posted:

Rule 34 addendum a. Also any bullshit like this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just walked past the village church and the gates are shut and there's a sign saying "closed due to New Year's Day".

Is this what Peter Hitchens was warning us about?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It's annoying that none of my relatives corpses will have much trade in value.

A compelling argument to reopen the bone mills and use of human teeth in dentures.
https://medium.com/study-of-history/the-bones-of-waterloo-a3beb35254a3

Also:
Hope is a very useful lie as it gives the individual a reason to continue persevering.

Illustration: In between all the madness last year was a fantastically good one for me. It was the first time in over 10 years that I and my two children were all in the same place (reasons too long and too like a very bad soap-opera to detail). Last time I saw them both they were 4 and 7, they are now 15 and nearly 18 so a massive adjustment in my relationship with them needed but so far it's going amazingly and it has dramatically improved my mental state beyond anything I could have imagined.
Without the irrational hope that "things always get better eventually" that I clung to I would have very likely simply ended myself. Even with it I came very close at several points.

I can't remember which anarchist poet it was but his line (I paraphrase) " Of course the Ideal is unattainable, but still striving for it is required if things are to improve at all" also neatly makes the point.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
kinda weird tbh that multiple people have said recently that they find this thread can be really bad for their mental health with all the doomposting and yet we still have people coming in posting poo poo like "hope is a lie"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

EmptyVessel posted:

A compelling argument to reopen the bone mills and use of human teeth in dentures.
https://medium.com/study-of-history/the-bones-of-waterloo-a3beb35254a3

Also:
Hope is a very useful lie as it gives the individual a reason to continue persevering.

Illustration: In between all the madness last year was a fantastically good one for me. It was the first time in over 10 years that I and my two children were all in the same place (reasons too long and too like a very bad soap-opera to detail). Last time I saw them both they were 4 and 7, they are now 15 and nearly 18 so a massive adjustment in my relationship with them needed but so far it's going amazingly and it has dramatically improved my mental state beyond anything I could have imagined.
Without the irrational hope that "things always get better eventually" that I clung to I would have very likely simply ended myself. Even with it I came very close at several points.

I can't remember which anarchist poet it was but his line (I paraphrase) " Of course the Ideal is unattainable, but still striving for it is required if things are to improve at all" also neatly makes the point.

Utopia está en el horizonte. Me acerco dos pasos, ella se aleja dos pasos. Camino diez pasos y el horizonte se corre diez pasos más allá. Por mucho que yo camine, nunca la alcanzaré. Para que sirve la utopia? Para eso sirve: para caminar.

(Utopia is at the horizon. I walk two steps, she distances herself two steps. I walk ten more, and the horizon runs other ten further away. As much as I walk, I'll never reach it. What utopia is for? It is for this reason: to walk.)
- Eduardo Galeano

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Yet another positive flow test. Tomorrow is meant to be my final day of isolation...

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

bessantj posted:

That's great. A muslim had a drink so I don't believe the vulnerable should have a safety net anymore. Brain of nothing but worms.

Here's hoping everyone has a great 2022.

Yes, the group I dislike have inconsistent principles when you compare diverse individuals, therefore my lack of any principles is more consistant and moral. Pure sophistry.

The prophet only spoke against drunkenness.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Julio Cruz posted:

kinda weird tbh that multiple people have said recently that they find this thread can be really bad for their mental health with all the doomposting and yet we still have people coming in posting poo poo like "hope is a lie"

Or you posting at all, Mr Avatar.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Utopia está en el horizonte. Me acerco dos pasos, ella se aleja dos pasos. Camino diez pasos y el horizonte se corre diez pasos más allá. Por mucho que yo camine, nunca la alcanzaré. Para que sirve la utopia? Para eso sirve: para caminar.

(Utopia is at the horizon. I walk two steps, she distances herself two steps. I walk ten more, and the horizon runs other ten further away. As much as I walk, I'll never reach it. What utopia is for? It is for this reason: to walk.)
- Eduardo Galeano

That is beautiful and conveys the exact idea, but not what I'm thinking of. The quote I'm failing to fully recall is from the early 20th century so well before that was written, it also specifically uses Ideal. I'm pretty sure I came upon it in Woodcock's Anarchism which I haven't read for decades so I'll revisit it and try and find what/who I mean.

Thanks for sharing that though, I love it.
Anyone who's hitch-hiked also understands "keep moving so your destination is at least closer" as a deep truth. ;)

Edit: Been doing some digging, apparently that wonderful quote is actually Argentinian film maker Fernando Birri being quoted by Eduardo Galeano. Birri was born in the 20s so it just might be what I'm thinking of after all, perhaps paraphrased by Woodcock. Birri doesn't appear in Woodcock's index though...

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 1, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

"goddamnedtwisto" posted:

Hey are you still thinking of doing your talking walks?

A friend who lives in Coventry is following these Coventry based ones https://talkingbirds.co.uk/walk/ and really recommends them, so don't know if it might give you any ideas.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jedit posted:

Or you posting at all, Mr Avatar.

someone bought it for me because I was getting pissed off at all the flyby posters cheering about how Brexit was going to gently caress us all

e: actually it was because people were posting it every day counting down to the deadline, which I thought was a particularly cunty thing to do

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 1, 2022

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i thought it was cause you didn't like that moon meme

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
those innocent days when we thought tereezer was the biggest wazzock who could possibly be PM

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Hey are you still thinking of doing your talking walks?

A friend who lives in Coventry is following these Coventry based ones https://talkingbirds.co.uk/walk/ and really recommends them, so don't know if it might give you any ideas.

TBH the problem is I have *too many* ideas, nowhere near enough execution, and the too many ideas end up killing whatever execution I actually try because I just hating it for not containing all of the ideas I do have.

I *have* got the beginnings of an idea of how to square this particular circle but I have to test it out. Also THAT FUCKER Jago Hazzard has literally just done the exact idea I had as a test of it (a walk around the London wall); I need to work out a way to use this apparent psychic link we have to get him to hand over all his patreon money to me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

From the last thread:

Tesseraction posted:

It's got an R0 of 10 so it's basically crowding colds (R0 of 2-3) out of the market.

Savings Clown posted:

Omicron? Is this true?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

An R0 of 10?? Wouldn't that mean 8 billion people infected after ~10 days? Lol

I admit I should say "has been theorised to have an R0 up to" as reported in the Lancet: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(21)00559-2/fulltext

quote:

The original strain of SARS-CoV-2 has an R0 of 2·5, while the delta variant (B.1.617.2) has an R0 of just under 7. Martin Hibberd, professor of emerging infectious diseases at London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (London, UK), reckons omicron's R0 could be as high as 10. In the UK, cases of omicron are doubling every 2–3 days, which puts it on track to supplant delta as the dominant variant in the country by mid-December.

So it might not quite be that high, but even revised down is still much more transmissible than a common cold. For reference, Chickenpox has an R0 of 10-12. Measles is 18.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Worth noting that captain Tom's family are disgusting ghoulish grifters so I'm not surprised they're trying to plaster his name on everything that runs past the merchandising team.

He literally died because his embarrassment of a... Granddaughter, I think, demanded he accept a businessmans offer of an all expenses paid family holiday in the Caribbean during the first COVID lockdown, where he caught COVID on the flight and obviously died from it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBH the problem is I have *too many* ideas, nowhere near enough execution, and the too many ideas end up killing whatever execution I actually try because I just hating it for not containing all of the ideas I do have.

I *have* got the beginnings of an idea of how to square this particular circle but I have to test it out. Also THAT FUCKER Jago Hazzard has literally just done the exact idea I had as a test of it (a walk around the London wall); I need to work out a way to use this apparent psychic link we have to get him to hand over all his patreon money to me.

If you’re open to suggestions then: just pick an idea, execute and iterate. The perfect really is the enemy of the good, and if you try one and it doesn’t work you at least can mark it off and see what bits you can move forward. Ideas are really plentiful, but execution is everything.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Drone_Fragger posted:

He literally died because his embarrassment of a... Granddaughter, I think, demanded he accept a businessmans offer of an all expenses paid family holiday in the Caribbean during the first COVID lockdown, where he caught COVID on the flight and obviously died from it.

I mean this is all wrong but whatever.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

If they really believed that then why not compete to do a better job of it than the government? (Other than it just being an excuse that the poor should 'know their place' and neither should do it)

I'd have asked him if I'd thought of that but no doubt he'd blame the government. They are all satanists you know, that's why being gay is no longer illegal.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I guess you're correct, the flights were only gifted by BA as a marketing stunt, the hotel was paid for by someone currently unknown, and at the time Bradford was only tier 3 and hence wasn't in lockdown, and of course it's impossible to prove where someone actually got COVID, so really the entire thing is conjecture that he caught it there anyway.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's not all wrong, he did catch Covid on the flight home. The return flight was on the 5th or 6th January, and he was hospitalised for pneumonia and testing positive for Covid by mid-late Janaury. If he didn't catch it during the flight, then he somehow caught it during the two-week quarantine period that was in force at the time for returning travellers.

Going on holiday was a daft thing to do if he was aiming for longevity but maybe that wasn't his priority. At age 100 you already know that you only have a few grains in the hourglass left.

His family are still shameless grifters.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah it's pretty much impossible to work out when, where and why someone got Covid (which we've admittedly been trying to do this week in my house) but at the very least they put him in significant danger for a free holiday.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

If you’re open to suggestions then: just pick an idea, execute and iterate. The perfect really is the enemy of the good, and if you try one and it doesn’t work you at least can mark it off and see what bits you can move forward. Ideas are really plentiful, but execution is everything.

Yeah, that's why the basic idea is to strip it all the way back to the original idea except using an old GoPro to film effectively a backing track for it, and just let myself talk over it rather than over-thinking the content. Even as I type that I'm already mentally planning an elaborate chest rig and steadycam setup and basically I need a mental equivalent of a rolled-up newspaper to bop myself with when I start doing that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, that's why the basic idea is to strip it all the way back to the original idea except using an old GoPro to film effectively a backing track for it, and just let myself talk over it rather than over-thinking the content. Even as I type that I'm already mentally planning an elaborate chest rig and steadycam setup and basically I need a mental equivalent of a rolled-up newspaper to bop myself with when I start doing that.

Isn't that what those two guys were wearing in those portable digital 'get your booster' rigs?
(Can't find images just now, my googling attempts failing).

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Drone_Fragger posted:

I guess you're correct, the flights were only gifted by BA as a marketing stunt, the hotel was paid for by someone currently unknown, and at the time Bradford was only tier 3 and hence wasn't in lockdown, and of course it's impossible to prove where someone actually got COVID, so really the entire thing is conjecture that he caught it there anyway.

He could charitably have decided to #YOLO it anyway even knowing the risks.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see your face plastered on the most tacky merch ever by your grifter offspring.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

- Eduardo Galeano

Thank you for that quote, it resonates to me. :)

Clarence
May 3, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've got a bicycle helmet with a mount for a 360 degree camera attached to the top. The plan was that I was going to walk down lots of London streets taking video. I wrote some code that would extract locations and directions from Google directions (say, Oxford Street to the Houses of Parliament) and the idea was to put together a bespoke playlist that would allow a user to travel between two places virtually with 360 degree video all the way. Even made and uploaded a trial video walking through the Greenwich Foot Tunnel.

I had to go into London for work so went in the evening before so I could get a lot of streets done before starting work in the morning. One small problem - that was March 12th 2020, so it all went a bit pear-shaped after that!
And it turns out I'm too self-conscious to walk around with a camera stuck on my head so I could never do it anyway. Another great idea RIP.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm readily available to walk about looking like a tosser if anyone ever needs me to.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Clarence posted:

I've got a bicycle helmet with a mount for a 360 degree camera attached to the top. The plan was that I was going to walk down lots of London streets taking video. I wrote some code that would extract locations and directions from Google directions (say, Oxford Street to the Houses of Parliament) and the idea was to put together a bespoke playlist that would allow a user to travel between two places virtually with 360 degree video all the way. Even made and uploaded a trial video walking through the Greenwich Foot Tunnel.

I had to go into London for work so went in the evening before so I could get a lot of streets done before starting work in the morning. One small problem - that was March 12th 2020, so it all went a bit pear-shaped after that!
And it turns out I'm too self-conscious to walk around with a camera stuck on my head so I could never do it anyway. Another great idea RIP.

I went one step further and mounted my 360 camera to a monopod secured to a backpack and took a walk around the Isle of Dogs - was actually less self-conscious than I expected to be, I assume because most people just saw a bloke with a stick sticking out of a backpack. Two things scuppered it - first, the camera (Garmin Virb) is *really* unhappy with low light and the quality was shite and second, and much more importantly, it showed up just how much grey hair I have.

(The actual idea was to use the 360 camera to focus on points of interest on the way past - I'd already played around with the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF30jf1KkJU

so I could have got around the grey hair problem, but like I say the quality is just not quite good enough for what I had in mind)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could wear a hat.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

You could wear a hat.

I'm trying to *not* look ridiculous, I'll stick to just using Heath Robinson contraptions made out of crap laying around the house that make me look like a cyberpunk radio ham, TYVM.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What about whatever camera that guy used walking through the train station that made his head look like a giant triangle? It was posted a thread or so ago.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I like Watched Walker for city strolls. Would happily watch any goon doing the same.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Just Another Lurker posted:

Thank you for that quote, it resonates to me. :)

You're very welcome :unsmith:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

crispix posted:

When you're drinking to lest we forget

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Isomermaid posted:

When you're drinking to lest we forget

Lol

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Maugrim posted:

Same :) Stakes are lower for me as I didn't have too much input into this one though, been very occupied with family the last couple of years.

Can I ask what game? PM if you're worried about doxxing yourself.

Fingers crossed for yours. Sadly I'm still under strict NDA so can't say anything.

Only Kindness posted:

Star Citizen is coming out??????

The one person on my team who worked on that turned out to be a sex pest. So take from that what you will...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I find all the sir Tom stuff pretty distasteful too, but isn’t all the merch raising money for his foundation? The gin certainly is, although I’ve got no idea how the money is split.