Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

That is like $2 more a gallon than in Chicago, and we usually have some of the most expensive gas in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, it was $4.75 at the one closest to me yesterday

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Paid about 4.20 a gallon at the high point back in 08. Just yesterday I paid 5.32. Interesting to see if this is the new normal.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Diesel being like 5.50$/gallon is loving wild and makes me very happy I didn't impulse buy an old diesel LandCruiser when I had the change a few years back.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kalli posted:

Yeah, it was $4.75 at the one closest to me yesterday

The national average for today is $4.76. Some gas stations will set a really high price based on location, which is perfectly legal as long as they don't jump a certain percentage after a certain events like hurricanes, earthquakes, declarations of emergency etc. (varies by state) You see this a lot by airports or stations right off the highway where people don't know the area and just go to the first place they find. Also, there are state, county and even city taxes to think of that might make gas vary 10 cents from one street to another. The other thing is that gas prices are usually on a very slim margins. At "normal" times most operators run on 5-8 cents per gallon as profit, the rest is cost and tax. When gas is cheap, it may go up a bit to like 10-12 cents or more, but not much more. The vast, vast majority of gas stations make their actual money from the convenience stores, especially if they can sell cigarettes, beer, and lotto (and in Florida and other coastal states: boat gas, ice, and bait). So even if a station is charging an outrageous amount, they only really need half the traffic or less to make as much as a lower cost station, which when you factor in people just pulling into the first place they see, its easy to do.

edit: its also kind of super hosed how gas stations work, its actually similar to the three tier beer distributor system a lot of states have. A chevron for instance does not by gas from Chevron, they have the branding and everything but they buy Chevron gas from a "jobber" of Chevron distributor. Its basically a wholly entirely created middle man to drive prices up and make some people money.

swickles fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 23, 2022

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

Diesel being like 5.50$/gallon is loving wild and makes me very happy I didn't impulse buy an old diesel LandCruiser when I had the change a few years back.

...until you see what prices those go for now and the profit you could have made if you'd flipped it

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Rectal Placenta posted:

...until you see what prices those go for now and the profit you could have made if you'd flipped it

Oh, I don't want to flip it. I want one to drive until it corrodes into dust beneath me.

Also, I couldn't bring myself to daily a car without a full loving slate of safety features with a kiddo inside.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Super normal day in a first world country.

https://twitter.com/PGourevitch/status/1528457901530136578?t=rzU-W1svpJpNkyzxeBhBFg&s=19

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I especially enjoy that the contested emergency formula bill was 0.07% of the Ukraine aid bill but I reckon babies just aren’t that profitable.

Maybe if Raytheon gets into the formula biz…..

T-Square
May 14, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

I bought a TDI Golf back in 2019 when diesel was more or less the same as gas, not so much anymore :( It’s still holding at 4.99 though at least and I only have to commute every other week still, but man that decision is starting to age poorly

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/StrangerNews11/status/1528393608818302976

gently caress that lol

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I’ll do it but not on their terms, the Batman took me three evenings to get through, intended pacing be damned

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

And something like $30M an episode lol, no wonder Netflix is bleeding out cash.

Really want to see how the combined budget and runtime stacks up against the last X Marvel movies. Infinity War has the same runtime as that final episode!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
idc how big a show is, you gotta rein the creatives in charge in a little so they've got actual guidelines instead of just letting them blow all the money on some dumb set pieces that aren't absolutely essential to the bad poorly thought out plot. think of all the new pilots or cheaper shows they could make with just a small amount of the cash they blew on one bloated show

looking at you Game of Thrones

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I watched Willow for the first time in 20+ years last night, and woof that screenplay. Wonderful visuals, good-enough plot as long as you don't think too hard on it, but lines like they came out of a 10-year old's fanfic.

We probably all should have seen what was coming with The Phantom Menace.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Abugadu posted:

I watched Willow for the first time in 20+ years last night, and woof that screenplay. Wonderful visuals, good-enough plot as long as you don't think too hard on it, but lines like they came out of a 10-year old's fanfic.

shut up, peck!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Cool cool cool.

https://twitter.com/horatioalgorthm/status/1527876337041657857?t=X6JvqqfBpwG8nXMPzUHGbA&s=19

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Amazing that the show keeps being renewed given how outright bad seasons 2 & 3 were.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I can’t remember a single thing about the third season.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I think this is the last season, right? The kids are definitely about to age out.

3rd season was in the mall. That's kind of all I remember.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I think I watched part of S2E1 and immediately lost interest. The first season was pretty great.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

LeeMajors posted:

I think I watched part of S2E1 and immediately lost interest. The first season was pretty great.

Same. For those that stuck with it is it worth watching? I'd imagine this must be the final season.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think this is the last season, right? The kids are definitely about to age out.

Nope! There's one more!

There are so many shows made by Netflix and I remember little to nothing of most of them. Every single one feels like it was made by an algorithm.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah I remember the first season being incredible and everyone was talking about it for ages, but uh, their releasing schedule is on par with movie sequels not a series which doesn’t seem conducive to keeping return fans. It’s been so long since the last season I don’t really have interest in it anymore

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I liked season 3 at about a solid B, there were enough fun things going on to offset some of the nonsense, Sean Astin being a notable addition, but season 2 is the one that’s kind of a memory blank for me

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Bird in a Blender posted:

There is a final 5th season, but filming is already complete or close to it currently.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

wandler20 posted:

Same. For those that stuck with it is it worth watching? I'd imagine this must be the final season.

The first season is by far the best, it's just amazing in pretty much every way, but I enjoyed the second and third seasons as well. They're a bit more uneven a points, but generally enjoyable IMO.

EDIT:

Thaddius the Large posted:

I liked season 3 at about a solid B, there were enough fun things going on to offset some of the nonsense, Sean Astin being a notable addition, but season 2 is the one that’s kind of a memory blank for me

Yeah, to echo this, if season one is an A+, seasons two and three are very solid B's.

Sean Astin was season two, BTW. That's also the season that I think first had Dustin and Steve being friends, which is just great.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 23, 2022

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

fartknocker posted:

The first season is by far the best, it's just amazing in pretty much every way, but I enjoyed the second and third seasons as well. They're a bit more uneven a points, but generally enjoyable IMO.

EDIT:

Yeah, to echo this, if season one is an A+, seasons two and three are very solid B's.

Sean Astin was season two, BTW. That's also the season that I think first had Dustin and Steve being friends, which is just great.

Was he? Well crap, never mind, I guess that’s one thing I remembered from it! The mall in season 3 was great, I just wished they’d gone harder on the zombie townsfolk angle, but yeah, Dustin and Steve discovering they’re besties was pretty good.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, Sean Astin was a good part of season two, which I think also had the great hospital/lab-place sequence for Nancy and Jonathan. Also Brett Gelman. I think the big criticism of season two was the Chicago episode, which was mostly a standalone thing and kinda oddly placed. Three was good too, but I remember it getting a bit more action movie-ish at points.

I'll definitely watch season 4, but I'm much more hyped for the first two episodes of Kenobi dropping on Friday.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Agree that seasons 2 and 3 were B level, maybe B+ for season 3, I thought it was slightly better than 2. I'd need to watch a recap on season 3 though, I only remember a few vague plot points.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How tf are you going to do a season 5 after your season 4 finale is two and a half hours long. What else do you even have to talk about?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

what even is the plot of 2 and 3 and 4?

Didn't the series wrap up nicely at the end of season 1?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

It's like opposite of the final GoT season.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
In ET why do the kids keep pedaling when their bikes are flying through the air?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

General Dog posted:

In ET why do the kids keep pedaling when their bikes are flying through the air?

So they don't fall. Duh.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Maybe each episode sets up a different spin off

Eleven and the lovely X-Men
Stranger Danger
Stranger Things v. Big Mouth
Is It Stranger Things?
Untitled Joe Keery Sex Comedy
Stranger Better Things
etc

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 23, 2022

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

what even is the plot of 2 and 3 and 4?

Didn't the series wrap up nicely at the end of season 1?

The hole wasn’t wholly sealed, the big bad still wants to get through, plus several world governments can’t help but try and poke the bear because hey, it’s a bear, you gotta try and poke it

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
All of the reviews so far boil down to "pretty good, far too loving long"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I was gonna say how the world desperately needs a bunch of tight 90 minute movies, but ST can't even be 9 of those, because look at that loving finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What year is it now in Stranger Things, like 1988?