Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Imagine thinking your role in a franchise you hate is done. Your character is dead. There's no loving way you're coming back.
Two movies later you get a call from your agent...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Apparently in a 2017 interview, Uwe Boll claimed to have read Jennifer Lawrence's teenage diaries once when he rented out her parents's house and he.. slept in her room and found them? Weird story I somehow missed when it was fresh

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Was The Fugitive the last time he actually cared?

Like right after that was Air Force One and K19 where he 100% did not give a gently caress at all.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
isnt everything criterion on hbo, or is that only some of it?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Harrison isn’t mentally flying a plane, he’s mentally crashing it. That and getting bitched out by the FAA are the only things that make him feel alive anymore.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Was The Fugitive the last time he actually cared?

Like right after that was Air Force One and K19 where he 100% did not give a gently caress at all.

He was decently engaged in Crystal Skull, but yeah, I think Air Force One feels like the start of his "this is what I am now, I guess" phase. He was still charming but it felt kind of off. Firewall was definitely my "just stop, dude, you clearly hate this" and then he kept acting

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Sunk Dunk posted:

isnt everything criterion on hbo, or is that only some of it?

There's like 20 movies in the criterion collection on hbo.

Criterion Channel has like 300 movies at any given time from the collection, and hundreds upon hundreds that aren't.

And they do special events like when they did a 70s scifi collection with Mad Max, Dark Star, Logan's Run, etc.

I can't stress enough how totally worth it that $7.99 price tag is.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Firewall was his Sons of Katie Elder film, I will not budge from this review.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

priznat posted:

Watching the Peacemaker show, it's pretty good actually.

I clocked pretty fast that it is filmed in the Vancouver area, everything looks damp as hell :lol:

More like… Pissmaker

Starring John Semen

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ford was pretty engaged for Blade Runner 2049. Not having to argue with Ridley Scott probably had a lot to do with it, and Villeneuve's habit of directing people with muted performances probably appealed to him and his no fucks given attitude.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Barudak posted:

feel like this reference has some pretty unrealistic expectations of everybody's familiarity with the career of john wayne

Cubone fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 27, 2022

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I'm fully convinced that harrison ford was guilted into doing rise of skywalker because the kylo redemption scene was originally going to be carrie fisher before she died.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Barudak posted:

Hmm, was his True Grit after that?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lister posted:

I'm fully convinced that harrison ford was guilted into doing rise of skywalker because the kylo redemption scene was originally going to be carrie fisher before she died.

seems likely yeah

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cubone posted:

feel like this reference has some pretty unrealistic expectations of everybody's familiarity with the career of john wayne

This is a personal failing as that film just sticks in my mind as the example of this.

PeterCat posted:

Hmm, was his True Grit after that?

True Grit is after. Im not saying Sons of Katie Elder is where John Wayne gave up and never recovered, its the film where he is too old to be going through the motions on auto pilot convincingly anymore and his lack of car overrides charisma.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Barudak posted:

This is a personal failing as that film just sticks in my mind as the example of this.

True Grit is after. Im not saying Sons of Katie Elder is where John Wayne gave up and never recovered, its the film where he is too old to be going through the motions on auto pilot convincingly anymore and his lack of car overrides charisma.

I mean, was Harrison Ford's True Grit after firewall?

I think JW still gave a poo poo in SoKE, this bit where he hits George Kennedy with an ax handle went over pretty well. And Kennedy sells the poo poo out of the stunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tULOXFEahzY&t=65s

It's lightyears better than poo poo like McQ or Brannigan.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Arc Hammer posted:

Ford was pretty engaged for Blade Runner 2049. Not having to argue with Ridley Scott probably had a lot to do with it, and Villeneuve's habit of directing people with muted performances probably appealed to him and his no fucks given attitude.

I recently just re-watched 2049 and not only is it fantastic (it was fantastic in the theater too!) but Ford wasn't bad at all in it, and I dare say pretty good. I remember people making comments about him in it but I think he was pretty good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PeterCat posted:

I mean, was Harrison Ford's True Grit after firewall?

I think JW still gave a poo poo in SoKE, this bit where he hits George Kennedy with an ax handle went over pretty well. And Kennedy sells the poo poo out of the stunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tULOXFEahzY&t=65s

It's lightyears better than poo poo like McQ or Brannigan.

Doing a review I think the best Harrison Ford performance since Firewall might be... Age of Adeline?

The guy sells the hit but Waynes entrance and movements leading to it are stiff even for him and his stuntwork throughout the film is diminished. No disagreements on the others in comparison, and obviously compared to what Bruce Willis and Steven Segal have churned out lately its a fuckin master class.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Barudak posted:

Doing a review I think the best Harrison Ford performance since Firewall might be... Age of Adeline?

The guy sells the hit but Waynes entrance and movements leading to it are stiff even for him and his stuntwork throughout the film is diminished. No disagreements on the others in comparison, and obviously compared to what Bruce Willis and Steven Segal have churned out lately its a fuckin master class.

The age spread of the supposed brothers in that movie is crazy. I suppose it's possible that a woman had 40 years between her first and last pregnancy...

Age of Adeline had a good Ford performance, and a great young Ford impersonator, though I don't know how he would have been in Solo.

Four Brothers is a remake of Sons of Katie Elder, maybe Markie Mark's best role?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP6s4xoufzg

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I loved Call My Agent(Dix pour cent) in the French version, and I guess they’re remaking in in English, might work?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10432393/Brit-makeover-French-hit-Call-Agent-loosely-based-original-characters.html

Glad to hear the original show is also getting a 90 minute movie, and might come back for a 5th season.

Besides the drama/comedy/sitcom stuff which is entertaining on its own, I learned about a bunch of great French actors and great movies they’ve made, turned out to be educational too. Great show, available on Netflix

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Watching Perfect Blue and dying laughing at the "a website???!!!! What's THAT???!!!!!!!" dialogue.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Watching Perfect Blue and dying laughing at the "a website???!!!! What's THAT???!!!!!!!" dialogue.

I don't like utopia fiction

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Fu k criterion give me the vinegar syndrome channel

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Lol at the idea of Harrison Ford spending an afternoon on Wookipedia to learn about dumb nerd poo poo.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Castor Poe posted:

Lol at the idea of Harrison Ford spending an afternoon on Wookipedia to learn about dumb nerd poo poo.

I'd aim my plane straight at the ground too.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

reminds me of 'the net' where sandra bullock purchased a cute anime girl nft, all 100% over the info super highway

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

:stare:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i was very wtf cuz i saw that as a kid. Like why did the rich man kill himself

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I ended up watching Breakout starring Charles Bronson and... It's not a good film, nor it is if a film that holds up despite the cast of people you'd recognize. But it's worth it for this and nothing else....

Probably NSFW: But I couldn't stop laughing at the end of the fight

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So, uh, Perfect Blue was exactly as great as everyone has always said it was.

10/10 a good anime

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

LMAO the 90s

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

So, uh, Perfect Blue was exactly as great as everyone has always said it was.

10/10 a good anime

I feel like you’re waiting for somebody to agree/disagree with you so you can out them as an anime watcher and reveal that you’ve never actually seen a single anime.

That or my pain pills are making me paranoid.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 27, 2022

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I feel like you’re waiting for somebody to agree/disagree with you so you can out them as an anime watcher and reveal that you’ve never actually seen a single anime.

"Feyd, listen carefully, Observe the plans within plans within plans"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I remember the good old days in the 90s when anime was first taking off and people would move the VHS copies of Heavy Metal from the newly-minted "Anime" section over to the good ol' Sci-fi/Horror section.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Nigmaetcetera posted:

That or my pain pills are making me paranoid.

no, perfect blue is the one movie most non-anime watchers are forced to watch that are like "drat that was a really good loving movie" i believe him with all my heart

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

perfect BLEW!!!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
ANIMEEEE :argh:

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
anime killed my 2d girlfriend, never again, that fuckin scumbag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm just sitting imagining a world without websites