Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Congratulations on jacking all the droids.

lets not presume, they may be upgrades for the droid to jack him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

warhammer 2 mortal empires - settra

tomb kings own

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
1. Assassin's Creed: Origins

It was pretty good. gameplay was nice. story was good but didnt like the last hour or so. going to play some other games then start odyssey

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Fates of Ort — Hero of Ort mode (like a quirky hardcore mode with a good/special ending possibility) — about 12-20ish hours.

It’s a lot like old lovely isometric console RPG games but pretty cool. The idea of it is nothing happens unless you’re moving, attacking or casting a spell. You can also press a button to pass time. The game starts by giving you one of three elements and your progression is gated by a usually graceful mix of leveling up (every level you pick a new spell which might solve a puzzle), map coverage and side questing (you get key items that have multiple places to use them) and it seems like the replayability would come through random loot, discovering cheesy magic combinations (for example I beat the recurring final boss by surrounding him with turrents enchanted with a sleep hex, making him trivial every time after level 4), and seeing what sequences you can break/alter by using insane teleport tech and key item combos and whatever. Though while the game does some decent notetaking and cartography for you you may want a notebook of your own IRL if you plan to do another play through to see what else you can get away with.

The combat becomes way too easy eventually I found but it’s fun to see your concoctions pop off. It also has a pretty serious UI bug I encountered on two systems where every input prompt is replaced by the up DPad button but none of them work and you can do anything, which I thwarted by started another save file and then going back to the other one.

At the end of my game I had locked myself out of weapon/armor upgrades by instead giving a whole series of key items to someone else in exchange for other items that let me do other things. Besides being able to turn into essentially a god this is the coolest thing about the game. Someone watching me asked me “is it like Witcher three — where your choices matter??” which I made fun of them for but if in Witcher 3 you can give, say, a book about trollslaying back to its proper owner in exchange for a special flower that makes the GILF gently caress you, but you can never learn a special trick for harvesting troll pubes from an old recluse who wanted the book too, then yeah it’s like that.

I guess in summary if you want to play a chill souls/troid/hydlide-inspired iso action RPG whom’s throwback feel extends to being mostly a fun power fantasy where you beat the poo poo out of a game you’re too old to take honorably, here it is folks. An indie treasure I would recommend for 15 bucks. :cheerdoge:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Also it has pretty sweet music and I like how it looks.

Here's 20 seconds of what it looks and sounds like, that I didn't screen for embarrassment, pretty late into the game.
https://clips.twitch.tv/GoldenBloodyGrassTF2John-b4pOlBcBNl-fIByi

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Final Fantasy IX - one of the few main FF games I hadn't finished before, good game but my least favorite of the ps1 trio, I still like 8 more for the characters and setting

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Time moves when you move in Fates of SUPERHORT

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I got really drunk and stoned and started playing TF2 right after beating it and the time-stop mechanic was still at the front of my mind even when I was laying in bed listening to some prank calls and during every pause I thought maybe it wouldn’t start playing again unless I shook my arms or something.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I got direct hit by like 20 rockets because I stopped to calculate their trajectory.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Wormskull posted:

I got direct hit by like 20 rockets because I stopped to calculate their trajectory.

lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
lmao and also

ArfJason posted:

Time moves when you move in Fates of SUPERHORT
lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wormskull posted:

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Lol.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

not countin it until i beat 2 for chronicles but great ace attorney 1. man i can see why people were sayin this felt like half a game lol, this feels like its all setup. i've heard 2's where it gets real good though, so away we go

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[7] Axelay (SNES) 1/27/22

Review:

This game is 50% good and 50% bad.

The Good:
- Music
- Spritework
- Neat weapons (some)

The Bad:
- Most weapons are worthless
- Bad mode 7 stages
- Bullets that are hard to see

One of the weaker Konami offerings from the 16bit era if I'm being honest. They were right to fire these dudes so they went on to make treasure, who are a 50/50 company themselves.

5/10

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Fungah! posted:

not countin it until i beat 2 for chronicles but great ace attorney 1. man i can see why people were sayin this felt like half a game lol, this feels like its all setup. i've heard 2's where it gets real good though, so away we go

Every single case in part 2 is better than anything in part 1, although I did like case 3 and 5 in part 1. Part 2 has one of my favorite cases in the entire series, though.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

Every single case in part 2 is better than anything in part 1, although I did like case 3 and 5 in part 1. Part 2 has one of my favorite cases in the entire series, though.

i liked five in part 1 even though it went too long imo but three felt like half a case because it was just setup for five. just finished the first case for part 2 and its already a lot more fun. auchi ritually cutting his topknot and the ryutaro throw ftw

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Eldritch — first win (1 hour, 4 deaths), some ng+, level 4 of mountains of madness DLC

This game is cheap indie roguelike trash but I like how it looks, like Minecraft meets a PS1 game meets quake. It sounds ridiculous usually. Most monsters sigh like a depressed gamer, they make easily imitable gulping and hacking sounds, the worm enemy’s death and idle sounds is the same couple of monkey screeches overlaid. There’s a door opening sound effect that’s actually part of the Reznor-inspired soundtrack of the Dagon, not to be confused with either the door opening sound effect of you or a monster opening the door.

It’s way too easy the first time you play it and way too ugly and hard to read to tolerate how hard ng+ ramps up and pretty much forces you to be stealthy, which would be a little better if the map chunks were more varied or there was more variety in general.

The best thing about it is probably that jumping makes you move quick and there’s a power slide and crouch jumping which means you can have some exciting chases with things but the monsters are really stupid. They’re all pretty much pulled out of the mountains of madness, innsmouth stories, call of Cthulhu, and the Dream quest of unknown kadath, and they look like Quake monsters. My favorite is the penguins in the DLC.

You get a lot of moves that let you jump or build Minecraft blocks and moving around is again pretty cool but it doesn’t seem like it will get much cooler. The lack of variety in weapons and stuff really makes it hard for me to want to keep playing since I’m pretty sure I don’t have much more to look forward to than the first one showed off, besides enemies doing 2x damage and being more populous. I don’t think I recommend this turd, in light of all the other of this kind of indie turds there are. Unless that penguin really grabs ya like it did me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://clips.twitch.tv/DullWealthyToadBloodTrail

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’m… a penguin?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Heyyy

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

lmao

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

someone bought me katana zero in steam in december so i played it on normal AND hard mode. fun game. i haad already beaten it on switch 2 or 3 years ago but it was way easier useing the power of the xbox one z elite 4 gamepad instead of nintendos poo poo. thanks.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Metro Exodus, got the good ending this time. Overall it kicked rear end

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zanac
vertical shmup. absolutely frantic, screen covered with stuff most of the time, but the game handles that without slowdown and the ship is small so you have plenty of room to see and move. apparently the game secretly tracks how well you're doing and makes the game harder if you're doing well. powerups drop from blue boxes or numbers that float on the screen periodically - they're easy to spot and move slowly, although you often have to miss them to dodge the zillions of tiny dots that are coming at you. all of the bosses are just a series of blocks on the screen that you have to take out one at at time. there are 12 levels and some levels have multiple bosses (level 9 had 5, ugh). bosses technically have a timer on them, and it looks fairly small, usually a little over a minute, but i never ran out of time.

powerups: your primary weapon levels up twice, and then you can have one secondary weapon, which you get by finding numbers, shooting them, and collecting them (they have 0 - 7). if you collect the same number again, the secondary weapon can also level up twice. they vary from a kind of side missile to shields, to big bombs. i mostly stuck with 3, which makes two pulsing energy balls surround your ship, which seemed to combine the best aspects of having a shield and shooting into those corners you can't reach with the main weapon. the weapons also run out unless you collect them again, but like most shmups from the time, one shot takes all your power-ups anyway. the game is also pretty generous about letting you collect at least one number about once per boss.

game is very generous about handing out lives and has continues that bring you back to the start of the level... until level 10. you have to do levels 10 - 12 with just your lives.

compared to most from its era, zanac has more regular enemies that have a lot of health (although, they make it fairly obvious when you're hitting them, something i've come to appreciate). some of the level backgrounds and music are also pretty awesome, although the enemy and boss design is nothing to write home about.

also, the endboss is once again a mother brain, lol.

gonna take a break for game club's axelay after this but next up is Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Zanac is cool. Compile is like the only good console / pc shmup dev alomg with technosoft who did the thunderforce games. Eat poo poo raptor/tyrain, trasure, etc tards

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

1. SMT V Normal - Secret Ending

Sick rear end game 5/5

2. Tetris 99 - I got first place so I'm counting it

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Axelay. Easy, 6 continues. I don't want to hear it.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

too bad, gently caress you

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Arrhythmia posted:

too loving bad, you WILL hear it, although I guess you DO get a trophy, I'm not happy about it

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

good job. the game is terrible so really making it as painless as possible is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Zelda II The Adventure of Link - This game is hard as balls in places. I wish it had a way to warp around the overworld like in Zelda 1.