Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Your precious fluids

the Pure Esance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

If there's salt on the roads the cars will have trust issues. There are no old italian cars anywhere it snows for that very reason. Salt is still the same as before if that's your question?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Starting to see some spicy claimed happenings out of Kazakhstan now

https://twitter.com/Peter__Leonard/status/1478661502370516993?t=qKVtYh3Z_dSvuVxECeHo3g&s=19

https://twitter.com/Peter__Leonard/status/1478657291264180231?t=GpPdAAoB9wjXicX2jfdZYQ&s=19

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Laranzu posted:

Did Russia pull a "look over here" with Ukraine? The ol reverse Kazakh?

Or did a good thing finally happen and they get rid of an actual lovely despot?

The latter, but it just got going. Started three days ago with organic protests triggered by the gas prise trippling - and then people saw themselves, understood what they were doing and veritably exploded. If they government is actually having mass scale desertions from the security organs then this is a revolution.

E.
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1478703455506247681?t=ECuyJAbT9Pqnxbded0pMUw&s=19

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 5, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Some might say Kazakh has underlying social issues creating fissures in its national stability should the stabilising forces be disrupted for some reason. Aka an extra brutal dictatorship where people can only afford to trust family, is going to crack apart when the oppression suddenly stumbles for whatever reason. However long this takes it will never be very clear who stands where and why or even what they're doing.

I hoped this would be Ceaușescu again but it aint. Looks more like the oppression party will violently decide which one of them will be in power soon-ish and everything goes back to status quo

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 7, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I wonder how this will affect the Russian space program seeing how they launch tons of poo poo out of the Baikonur Cosmodrome, which is in Kazakhstan. I imagine the Russian troops going in will lock it down post haste.

Baikonour isn't the sole kosmodrome Russia uses. Don't every space nerd know this? Vostochny is the newest one in any case

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Cape isn't our sole spaceport either but losing it would be a massive blow to our launch capability.

It would be massively inconvenient but not crippling. You'd adapt and you would still get the cans up there

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Vostochny is still partially under construction and has suffered many failures and setbacks in its construction. At one point the workers went without pay for so long they painted their barracks with messages begging Putin to pay them.

That lack of effort and budget would change overnight if they lost use of Baikonour.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Pretty sure they won't lose the use of Baikonur. Unlike Ukraine, they won't really put the US or even China in a tizzy if they clamped down on Kazahstan, and that's assuming whoever ends up in charge can't be bought off, which seems unlikely.

Neither do I, but Nuclear Tourist wondered about it. Point being this is a very minor detail in the current suffering of the Kazakh people and either way it wouldn't affect Russias space program beyond delays and money. Their intervention isn't motivated by the kosmodrome all that much.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

If only there was another way
to keep him away

https://twitter.com/MaggieEThornton/status/1479785937525747718?t=6k5xsYXhkiLdnAz4jScqKA&s=19

Some might say we could find a brighter day

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Never trust the dems to help the people. Only Eugene Stoner can save you from fascism.

Bo Burnham "that funny feeling" starts playing

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Nowhere deserves to be ammonia'd.

And yet the antivaxers are drinking piss

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

U-Haul should have a department for hired help to move furniture and it should be called Space Force

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The two things that make the autobahn possible is road maintenance and harsh legal consequences (from the perspective of an American norm of automotive experiences)

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 17, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I've been guessing for a while now that some US entity got the invasion planning straight from HQ back in late October, shared it in December, and that's why they got everyone else in NATO on board so quickly. And also stay so un-fucky about it all the entire time since.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Kesper North posted:

So about the clear alignment and lack of fuckery in NATO,

https://twitter.com/Mauerback/status/1483908134821318671?s=20

Germany's also refusing to send aid for some reason *cough*Deutschbank*cough*. Aid flights aren't even being allowed to cross their airspace.

Low amounts of fucky, from a certain point of view :downs:
Welp it was good as long as it lasted. Speaking of, the invasion starts next week if not before. Granted most have obviously understood that by now.

And the russians been spending serious money to get a disinterested Germany for 30 years now so it's not entirely unexpected that it's working this time. Just very sad.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Ukrainian radio pirates have hijacked The Buzzer (UVB-76, 4625 KHz) and have been using it to blast anti-Putin messages, music, and drawing pictures in the waterfall display using frequency manipulation.

The pictures

https://twitter.com/Brophyst/status/1483486924383866883?t=bSRjkIF3-AbF8rjl00yQDQ&s=19

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Falling takes to long. Better to spend the money and accelerate it instead

:jeb:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

lightpole posted:

How does that compare to active Navy ships that have sunk friendly vessels?

Badly?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Step 1: agree to let texas secede in 2 years.
Step 2: turn off the money faucet to texas.
Step 3: use money faucet to relocate texans that want to leave.
Step 4: give Mexico weapons.

I see no downside to this.

About number four, don’t underestimate the industrial base and economic power of Mexico. If they actually needed weapons they would porque no los dos buy and license produce them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

In case it doesn't get linked by OP before the lock comes down like what happens every month; This here is a link to the February thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3992479&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

It's the first day of Tet today btw
Happy Lunar New Year!