Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

Every USAF VIP transport is an Air Force One, you see...

Apparently Biden has been doing his many trips to Delaware in a C-32 so the tweet may be correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1478122088221208577?s=21

…village by village?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What’s the difference between a drone and a cruise missile?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Iran has these things which are kinda like baby MQ-1 predators:

Maybe they mean one was sent on a one way mission?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

This is basically me, at work, all the time. Just repeating that we need to think about a lot of these weapons as slow cruise missiles or loitering munitions, not as RC toys or unknowable mystery entities.

What would a modern western military call a V-1?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thwomp posted:

So we lack a term for people who are at first willfully ignorant but then turns into genuine ignorance, right?

"Herman Cain Award Winner"?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh are they scalping tests now

$125 is probably a mail in PCR test, those have always been very expensive at retail since this started.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I've seen them from $40 to like $100, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

The rapid tests I've only ever seen at like $30/2 or less.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

BAKA! ~Inventory is one of the Seven Wastes!!~

After those articles came out the company defended itself by saying that they were required to destroy the intermediate stock that had been sitting for more than 6 months. That raises the question of if that’s is indeed all they were doing or not.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Edit: This was entirely the wrong thread. I did not mean to post it here. Leaving it though.

Is the latter supposed to be US Middle East policy?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

You know that makes a lot of sense that we’re probably already there, appreciate the charts and info.

I wonder what point it just can’t go up any higher? I mean at some point with stuff like Delta and Omicron being super virulent, isn’t it just in circulation so much that natural herd immunity might actually be a real outcome? Well by that I’m being a mix of people who have the weaker natural immunity from having it and a large number of people have been vaccinated that in theory there’s no real spot left for huge new outbreaks? I know there’s probably no scientific evidence to suggest this, but I guess it’s nice to have hope, not that I have any faith in it. lol

Maybe, but they’re coronaviruses just like the “common cold” which everyone keeps getting regularly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Like I said I didn’t really have any hope that there was any scientific backing for my theory. Still I’m wondering what the hell the end game is going to be? Does this eventually become something like the seasonal flu or is it basically pseudo post apocalyptic society coping with a never ending pandemic for decades or more.

Honestly everything about this seems like it’s the perfect set up for a future lions led by donkeys episode, because it just seems to be a lot of wholesale stupidity and violence involved and adding crypto to it is just the icing on the cake.

Also I think if a laugh helps get you through all this poo poo as long as you’re not laughing in someone’s face who was there or making an rear end out of yourself on public Internet, then no harm no foul.

The endgame is basically it being the flu: it mutates a lot but a yearly shot gives you enough immunity to strains that are close enough that’s it’s not so bad on average.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Or it remains a really nasty disease as it goes endemic, of the sort that Americans only read about in National Geographic and history books.

Then the brutality of natural selection will do what vaccines can’t. See: the plague.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

This is a good summary if you do not have any understanding that the child tax credit exists, think $600 = $1400, and do not count unemployment insurance.

The child tax credit is the most important of all of those, IMO.

For the group of people who do not have kids and also are employed, they didn’t personally see a lot of direct stimulus.

Extended unemployment was originally under Trump, but Biden did extend it more than Trump did. The CTC has a strong possibility of backfiring because the credit was increased less than the advanced payments. Since withholding isn't trivial for a dual income household, the full child tax credit was likely the only thing preventing a lot of parents from owing taxes.

The CTC advance payments are implemented in such a stupid way.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I think this was before boarding?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Thank gently caress the idiot didn't know any startup procedures.

He'd never have gotten aloft, but nothing stopping him from starting the engines and redlining the throttle into the damned terminal. Might be a little difficult to get into the cockpit and throttle down after the front of the airplane's been smashed in and/or crushed by debris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ODFJ6EP6Q

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And on the A320 and A330, there's an angry dog on board every plane! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPUWaaXMvcg

IIRC the DC-9-50 also had something hydraulic that was hilariously loud

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/12/1072204478/donald-trump-npr-interview-presidential-election-lies-vaccines

Our favorite good (great) President only did about half the scheduled interview with NPR

In a 6-3 ruling "Won't someone rid me of this meddlesome priest" protected by first amendment.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, he already got away with ordering the execution of Michael Reinoehl.

Nobody challenged him on it so it isn't precedent setting!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

MAGA dude isn't getting into Valhalla getting killed by a Prius owner

They're good for sneaking up on motherfuckas

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The first two seasons of Weeds were incredible. Watching later seasons though you could really feel the show runner screaming "why did they renew this, what do I do"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Ideally, they just scrap the entire system that gives some people special codified privileges on the basis of who they're born to. How is state recognized nobility even a thing in a 21st century liberal democracy?

How is the state summarily revoking citizenship a thing in a 21st century liberal democracy?

Also the house of lords.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

No one in America is actually having their vote changed by a debate

Like everything else in a campaign, I think its more about energizing your base and getting volunteers than anything else.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

It's a no-bullshit Seditious Conspiracy charge (max: 20 years) of a shitload of people:

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1481697066502008840?t=ZLyOQVaVeWpGtd8nU1uz0g&s=19

No-loving-joke charges that make me think way higher of Garland.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1481701369413201920?t=l0fbueR-MPRuDqanM3G3nA&s=19

Glad they finally are taking actions that are similar to their public statements. One of the judges handling a lot of the 1/6 plea deals was chastising the DoJ for talking about a giant criminal conspiracy in public and basically charging everyone in their court with what amounts to simple trespass.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stravag posted:

Fuuuuuuck.... accepting a recon overflight from a different country because you can't contact the government is a terrifying thought

Recon flights probably won’t be able to operate for some time due to ash though. A maritime patrol aircraft should be able to get close enough and have good enough antennas to hear any transmissions from the island.

I’m not familiar with all the EM stuff but I’m guessing the lightning in the giant ash cloud means HF is effectively jammed?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Yeah, I mean, it seems like even the best‐case scenario is that officials are too busy responding to the crisis.

It’s hard to believe that no one’s got a satellite phone.

Won’t work, they barely get enough signal through direct LOS to the sky, if there’s ash there’s absolutely no way.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Even more terrifying though is when you think, who in the Tonga government was able to accept the offer and are they still in touch with them? I mean if New Zealand can’t get the touch with them…who is running the show? I don’t mean that in any conspiratorial way, just in terms of the extent of the damage and potential continuity of government implications, especially for a small island nation that probably doesn’t have a lot of things put into government redundancy.

The ambassador* to New Zealand. The plenipotentiary part rarely is relevant these days but this is why it’s there.

*it’s actually a high commissioner or something, Commonwealth realms are weird

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1483612693827182596?s=20

Jesus, I know Tucker is a white nationalist but come the gently caress on.

Also, I really enjoy any talk about how Eastern European countries joining NATO takes all agency out of them not wanting to deal with Russia alone and makes it just a nefarious American/Western plot to undermine Glorious Third Rome

I mean, that is how Russia views this.

Tucker… seems to go a bit further with it though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is congress going to get mad again.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Abolish the senate

You have faith in your regional governor?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What the gently caress?

You don’t own the water rights!!!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nullscan posted:

The Panasonic DreamStation was a really nice machine but it turned out that the foam they used for sound dampening was carcinogenic. So they recalled it and now I'm stuck with this pos ResMed AirSense 10 and can't get the humidity, temperature and air pressure dialed in for poo poo. Keeps leaving me with a dry, scabby nose and hurts like poo poo.

Especially since the youngest puppy goes for kisses in the nose region, like razor blades.

You have to crank the temperatures/humidity basically all the way up on those things it seems.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PeterCat posted:

Well, that's not good. If Biden wanted to he could order a NG unit to a neighboring country for "training," similar to what Reagan in did in Central America in the 80s.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1990-06-12-9002170920-story.html

The SC ruled that Reagan could in fact deploy NG troops overseas involuntarily for "training."

He should do it for those Texas NG on state orders so they actually get pay and benefits.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The exclusion zone isn’t actually particularly radioactive these days with the exception of the actual sarcophagus

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

https://www.navy.mil/uss-constitution/

It's basically a museum ship (and there's an actual museum associated with it too), they do tours and a lot of PR/ceremonial stuff. They did a big restoration on it a while back so it is actually able to go sail around now, but it's not something they do routinely.

I'm sure every Captain daydreams about taking it out to hunt pirates.

Does the command have actual other sailboats or a ship to actually practice rigging and sailing? Or would that make it too much of a “fun” assignment for the USN.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I wonder if the people in the German government who made the call to pivot away from nuclear power and embrace Russian fossil fuel pipelines are feeling any shame or regret at all right now.

You know, post Greece I wonder if France and Germany would prefer that Ukraine wasn't on the path to EU membership...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

It could be national memory of the cold war where America would have totally thrown Germany under the bus to the Russians if it came to that. Personally I'm surprised Germany wouldn't want to fight Russia to the last Ukrainian purely out of remembering that.

If everyone went full revanchist nobody in Europe would be able to work with anyone else in Europe.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

:lol:

The market is almost everybody's retirement plan.

With all the “open market operations” let’s just say it’s everyone’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arrath posted:

"Look we know we treat you like poo poo but please don't tell anyone about it?"

I look forward to seeing NG troops on both the union and strike busting side of the line in the future.

If they just want to be paid maybe they could join the FoP and demand whatever the Texas rangers or other state cops get.

That seems to be a more likely funny outcome than antifa super soldiers local 420.