Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Are coconut crab good eating? My opinion of this picture will change based on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yea, I'm not sure if there's any other game to play than just stare down each other. Although it always makes me wonder if Ukraine squirrelled one or two nukes away just in case Russia went full on existential warfare on them.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I mean eventually the bottom has to fallout of the rental/house buying market right?

China can't possibly want their capital continually going out of state forever to buy property in the US/Canada and locally rents are increasing without really an increase in wages, combine that with the amount of people dying or having to live in assisted living situations because of covid and demand should be plummeting.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

Dril always bats 1.000

Yea, you can certainly be an idiot that dies of covid because you where easily persuaded by some idiot and thats lamentable and grave dancing for that should be kept to a somber jig.

If you're one of the idiots trying to persuade other people not to get vaxed dancing should be unrestricted.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Marshal Prolapse posted:

People getting multiple cases of Covid is still kind of crazy when I remember that it was initially thought that once you got it that it would be like chickenpox or something, one and done.

Hell it’ll be interesting one day to see a examination of the first few years of this and just see how many things that were initially thought turned out totally wrong. Basically a Pandemic AAR. Besides just the fact that would probably be interesting would also help to avoid the same type of mistakes in the future. Of course some Q dip poo poo will just take that as proof that you can’t trust science. But that is their problem.

I don't think we'll see an AAR. The sheer amount of irresponsible assholes with power that helped contribute to our current state of affairs, from the greedy to the ignorant would smother any half way decent AAR. I mean the number 2 takeaway beyond "capitalism sucks at handling any sort of existential crisis" is "the republican party knowingly or unknowingly is going to exacerbate any existential crisis and make it magnitudes worse in body count"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I mean what is any of this poo poo worth any more, I havent seen one bit of good news about this poo poo since the vaccines got approved as kicken rad about january last year and it kinda feels as if poo poo is only gonna get worse because society aint built to deal with this poo poo.

I just kinda figured society would get more and more hosed due to an ecological collapse or kicking off world war 3, not this half measure plague where we all just seem to be waiting for this to mutate into something that well and truly cripples society.

At the very least does someone have good news wrt to demographic shifts due to this?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

I never knew people would disapprove of this nazi cop boss!

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...ticle_inset_1.1

So did the mayor and police chief just outright admit the reason why the nazi officer wasn't sacked. Was because they didn't see what the big deal was and just assumed everyone else was chill with a nazi on the force?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ive always found it weird that those who could benefit the most from an expansive social safety net can also be the ones who love the idea of no government interference.

Like it makes sense in a really short sighted way that as decently paid salaried computer toucher i personally would like less taxes out pf my check because, barring something extremely dumb my job will be here tommorow and ill be able to perform it unless all my fingers get cut off.

For contractors it seems really stupid because it lessens your bargaining power when the alternative to taking any lovely job with lovely terms is starve in the streets.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Extended unemployment was originally under Trump, but Biden did extend it more than Trump did. The CTC has a strong possibility of backfiring because the credit was increased less than the advanced payments. Since withholding isn't trivial for a dual income household, the full child tax credit was likely the only thing preventing a lot of parents from owing taxes.

The CTC advance payments are implemented in such a stupid way.

Also as cool as more benefits for people are, what of my friends who opted for pets over children? Where is their tax credit!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

It's amazing people get paid to just post stupid poo poo on the internet and here we are doing it for free. Someone should tell the papers they could just pay the ten bux and steal posts from CSpam.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1481681284321660928

Totally cool and normal move, not at all something incredibly frightening for a major political party to do.

Isn't this only a net loss for the RNC? They lose a free platform to rally the stupidest voter contingent, the undecideds, while whoever the democrats run can put on a cadaver synod and basically get an hour long commercial for their candidate.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

That Works posted:

They can just have Tucker trot out the RNC hopefuls and will get plenty of eyeballs on their guy(s).

I mean that was gonna be the case regardless of if they where gonna participate in the presidential debates anyway.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

lightpole posted:

Create doubt, push messaging, avoid hard questions, etc. Trump literally skipped a debate and almost won.

Well I mean.... *waves hand at Biden/Kamala 2020* there was a lot of things working for him beyond command of an industrial scale propaganda campaign.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ASAPI posted:

Does the SCOTUS decision affect those you are no longer employed because they didn't get the vaccine?

Can individual businesses still mandate that the vaccine be taken for continued employment? Does this open up a company that enforced the mandate "but totally didn't want to" to being sued?

How does this work and how will it affect things moving forward?

No clue, but for most states it shouldnt affect anything because "vaccinated" or not isnt a protected class and lol at will employment.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

at this point I'm starting to think that the entire federal governing system needs to be a random lottery of eligible people with six year terms. I'm fairly certain asking for 535 random people from across the US would be more representative and intelligent than the current congress made up mostly 60 year old lawyers, business idiots, and professional pols

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

You doomer-joke, but here's the latest from the Brain Trust

If there's anything I've learned from the idiots thread and here, is that current mil need to be kept far away from highschoolers as possible, and I believe that probably needs to be extended to former as well.

Mustang posted:

Is there an opinion section anywhere that isn't a steaming turd? I don't think there is.

Internet VFW › January 2022 Current Events: The Andrew Formerly Known as Prince

Isn't bad, some dumb rear end takes, but doesn't bleed into pants on head very often.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is the Autobahn basically straight out to the horizon? I can't imagine wanting to have anything to do with those kinds of speeds with bends that can cut your view for a second. Do drivers in the middle and left lane accept the possibility that rolling at 100MPH/160KPH might still end up with a rear end collision

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ragtime All The Time posted:

Being fixated on childrens entertainment as an adult is representative of stunted emotional and rational development

Hate to tell ya friend, being on forums.somethingawful.com is representative of stunted emotional and rational development.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A Bad Poster posted:

I've been reading these forums since I was 10. I'm never going to assume that my kids know less than I did at that point, and I'd seen some poo poo. Really awful poo poo.

Something... awful you say?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

cnn posted:

An attempt by Democrats to change filibuster rules in order to pass a voting bill failed amid opposition from moderate Democratic Sens. Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema. The vote was 52-48, with the two moderates joining all GOP senators.

"Allowing one party to exert complete control in the Senate with only a simple majority will only pour fuel on the fire of political whiplash and dysfunction that is tearing this nation apart," Manchin said on the Senate floor. "You don't have to look very far to see how we're tearing ourselves apart. Every part of this country, people are divided now."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/19/politics/senate-voting-legislation-filibuster/index.html

Welp, so I guess that's it. Manchin and Sinema have effectively doomed the democrat party to a rump party that will never achieve any sort of senate majority or presidency. Unless against all odds the democrats retain what they have and pick up two more seats in 22 and then rush the filibuster and voting rights to be hashed out before 24

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ASAPI posted:

I hate those two. I hate how one person can effectively control the Senate and gets whatever they want or nothing happens.

I also believe that, Manchin at least, sees how this will immediately get weaponized against the Dems after the midterms.

I dont see how you look at the political calculous and go "status quo is fine and good" unless youre fine with switching parties. I dont see how you look at the status quo and are fine with it if you are sinema specifically because her state specifically enacted laws which are gonna get her tossed in 24 regardless of how good of a campaigner she thinks she is.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Oh totally forgot about a Russian invasion would involved CHERNOYBL!

I'm not paying the NYT, but is the crux form a perimeter which makes Russians have to suit up in NBC gear or suffer casualties to radiation sickness? Sounds like a good idea or is there something can do from there to make the Dnieper glow green at night?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CNN posted:

The Arizona Democratic Party's executive board announced Saturday it formally censured Arizona Democratic Sen. Kyrsten Sinema for voting to maintain the Senate's filibuster rules, effectively blocking Democrats' voting legislation, a key priority for the pary.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/22/politics/sinema-censured-arizona-democratic-party/index.html

I mean it doesn't really mean anything, but it's nice to know someone is atleast willing to put some sort of action behind official displeasure for Sinema's/Manchin's actions.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Notahippie posted:

Yeah, Macron is at least consistent and strategic - he wants a stronger EU foreign policy with military capacity independent of the US and he'll generally push in that direction. The Germans are acting more out of character here and it sure looks from a distance like they're fragmented internally and kind of freaking out about getting caught between the gears here.

It could be national memory of the cold war where America would have totally thrown Germany under the bus to the Russians if it came to that. Personally I'm surprised Germany wouldn't want to fight Russia to the last Ukrainian purely out of remembering that.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

stealie72 posted:

And let us not forget the incident where a bunch of his (now former) in-laws wrote an open letter decrying him for being an anti-gay bigot piece of poo poo. Mind you, they're a branch of an old money family where things like this Are Not Done.

Imagine being such a POS that relatives would actively attempt to sink your political ambitions rather than just stay quiet about it for sake of "keeping the peace"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is texas the state that has troops on the border and no one is paying them or is that another lovely state like Arizona?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I, sadly, know that the Space Force is real, but I would still have taken the golden opportunity to feign ignorance.

Do the space force even have a mission that isn't already done by one of the other three branches?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

PeterCat posted:

To show how bizarre the immigration policies in the US are, consider this. People seeking Immigrant Visas while attempting to enter the US legally are required to show proof of Covid vaccination.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/15/1037410464/us-immigrant-visa-applicant-coronavirus-covid-vaccine

However, migrants illegally crossing the US border are not required to have the vaccine, can not be forced to have the vaccine, and in many cases refuse testing or vaccination. ]

How is this bizzar rather than just a thing that happens? We dont force vaccines or tests on anyone in this country if they dont want them, the most we do is social ostrization and bar non vaxxed from schools.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What the blue hell are you talking about?

Yea, I'm confused. As far as I was aware chuds not getting vaccinated and getting fired is the exception not the rule except in the case of the military and hospitals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

my argument for women running the world is to just ask the question "how many gently caress ups in human history are the results of the actions of men?"

It's her turn.