Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

davecrazy posted:

If I got a booster back in September can I get another one now?

So far, Israel is the only nation that approved a fourth shot. Might want to read up on their documentation on why as well as what a pharmacy might allow you to get here in the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Some good news: the James Webb telescope has finished completely deploying and tensioning up its tennis court sized sunshields!

These were the most worrisome aspects of its overall deployment. With them in place, the telescope’s instruments can be cooled to 50 degrees above absolute zero. The temperature gradient across the five sheets (a distance of only 6 feet) will eventually reach 500 degrees.

NASA has a Webb site (:dadjoke:) you can use to track its continued progress:

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html?units=english

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

So we lack a term for people who are at first willfully ignorant but then turns into genuine ignorance, right?

It’s one thing to take a political stand but acknowledge reality (and get the shot. See: everyone at Fox News). It’s another to go from that early position to just believing the falsehood to be true.

Even death cultists at least acknowledge they are worshipping death.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That assumes people will think beyond the short term as well as the individual scope.

Some people are just selfish and shortsighted.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Defenestrategy posted:

at this point I'm starting to think that the entire federal governing system needs to be a random lottery of eligible people with six year terms. I'm fairly certain asking for 535 random people from across the US would be more representative and intelligent than the current congress made up mostly 60 year old lawyers, business idiots, and professional pols

Vox just had a summary of the recent real, actual political science work on government by lottery.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/22878118/jury-duty-citizens-assembly-lottocracy-open-democracy

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The sound of the eruption captured from Fiji, more than 500 miles away.

I can’t really process something so loud and violent that if it happened in NYC, I could hear it like that in Toledo, OH. gently caress.

https://twitter.com/portiajessene/status/1482331548330659841?s=20

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 15, 2022

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It sucks that all the places I like geographically are filled with chuds. Maybe it’s because I grew up around chuds that I have the same taste.

The South and Appalachia are places of stunning physical and natural beauty but are inhabited by some of the worst people in the country.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
This is kinda lol at 2+ hours to talk about how awful NFTs are but it’s also somehow enthralling at just how deep the crypto rabbit hole goes (this video also just went live today btw):

https://youtu.be/YQ_xWvX1n9g

Tl:dr the technology is bad for what it’s trying to do, the promises of it are only superficially being met (but not really at all) and it (crypto coins, NFTs, and NFT/crypto derivatives) are all a mashup and/or combination of every scam scheme you can think of.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 22, 2022

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yo Mandalorian fans, go check out the latest Book of Boba Fett ep.

It’s basically Mandalorian Season 3 Episode 0. It rules.

The rest of Book of Boba Fett is very uneven, for the record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

pantslesswithwolves posted:

If they aren’t bringing Kyle Katarn back into canon then I don’t care.

my hopes for this were unrealistically heightened with the last episode of season 2 of The Mandalorian; if there are Dark Troopers then there must be Katarn and I will die on this hill

I mean, they sorta did. They just called him Cassian.

I like Rogue One way more than I think I do.