Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

facialimpediment posted:

Can't wait for the new entertainment and food options that will be developed this year!

https://twitter.com/HumanoidHistory/status/1477205875794268160?t=V5qwfjEbrH5AudpORdIjXQ&s=19

"It's people! Soylent Green is people!!!" :gonk:

"That's right! Soylent Green *is* people! 40% *more* people than our leading competitor!" :capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Probably going to be Pi, Rho, or Sigma. My money's on Sigma because it probably has the least linguistic issues.

Pi definitely fits best because it feels like we've come around full circle. :smith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

He might have the "luck" someday to visit Diego Garcia and see a Coconut Crab. Fuckers are enormous.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

They taste like whatever theyve been eating, and as most of them eat garbage, they taste like poo poo.

I imagine if you fed one a diet of fruit for a month they would taste delicious.

I also think they're a protected species on Diego Garcia.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

There's only one section of 95 worse than NoVA to Richmond, and that's the stretch from the top of the Beltway to Baltimore.

It's where Maryland, New Jersey, and New York drivers come to Thunderdome. 95 in VA might be poo poo but I don't routinely see dumb motherfuckers acting out their Fast and Furious fantasies on it at sometimes over 100mph.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The section of I-95 that's hosed has four major things wrong with it, just in general:

1. People are lovely drivers.
2. There need to be more exits on that stretch. When something like this happens you can be 5-10+ miles away from the nearest exit, so it causes multi-mile backups simply because people can't bail. Even when they can, Route 1 is ill-equipped to handle 95's volume.
3. It's flanked on all sides by "wildlife preserves/refuges" which are mostly a cover for "rich people own the land on/around the River," which complicates...
4. There *desperately* needs to be a third Potomac crossing somewhere between the Wilson and Nice bridges, even if it's tolled.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 4, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Not American, but the QEW and 401 are loving god-awful.

Having driven that, the biggest issue there is some :downs: motherfucker decided on double-laned entrances to the freeway.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

What’s the difference between a drone and a cruise missile?

A defense contractor being involved.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Ironically the best spot in that section to site an additional bridge across the Potomac would be at Quantico but lol Marines.

It'll never happen there because there are no roads on the other side that could/would handle the volume. The only road that would make the least bit of sense to connect across the river would be Indian Head Hwy, but unfortunately there's a military base in the way on the MD side and a State Park and about a *billion* single family homes on the VA side.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

What would a modern western military call a V-1?

A free-flight semi-guided winged rocket.

I mean, when you get down to it, the V-1 was just an upgraded pulse-jet form of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kettering_Bug

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Then there’s the other side, with nothing between the western beltway crossing and US-15 at the Point of Rocks.

Ram an expressway across Lowes Island :getin:

Trump National Golf Club. :colbert:

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Yeah I generally assumed you'd have to build a new freeway connection up to 495 on the Maryland side since there's gently caress all on the Western Shore. Crossing at Indian Head from Mason Neck would also potentially spoil ~*the untrammeled vista*~ of Mount Vernon and get the MVLA to put out a hit on you.

Yeah, more like it'd spoil the majesty of ultra-rich douchebag's "Miscellaneous Landing"-named compound/estates on the river to have to look at a bridge. Not even a tunnel would work.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tenchrono posted:

The 95 sucks rear end, I lived in Stafford for 12 years and never saw a worse stretch of asphalt in my life.

The best part is that the Gucci Lanes they're adding along that stretch will have little to no safe connections to the main travel lanes (and the ones that *do* exist are few and far between), so even if they were up and running, they couldn't have been used, and if people had become stranded on them they'd have been even more hosed and isolated than the people in the chattel lanes because all the exits are flyover-type. :capitalism:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 5, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what metrics is the administration using to claim that the economy is strong

Their *donors* are loving killing it.

And by "it" I mean the planet *and* what's left of democracy. :smith:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

China's property purchasing in the US isn't enough to screw up every city and locality.

Meanwhile, in Canuckistan...

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 6, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Midjack posted:

USPS ain't gonna get better while that stooge from the last administration is still running it, how the gently caress have they not flushed that turd already.

https://takeonwallst.com/2021/08/usps-dejoy-bloom/

TL;DR: They don't have the votes yet - Biden can't just tell him to :fuckoff:.

Of course, Biden also has to make time between naps to appoint board members to vote DeJoy out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ded posted:

There is no herd immunity for covid. People are catching it multiple times. gently caress everyone trying to push that bullshit.

Yeah, and the more the bullshit gets peddled, the more variants we get. Info's still sketchy enough to not bother posting links (fuckers like Feigl-Ding will gleefully handle the "scaring the gently caress out of your mom" duty), but the variant they found in Marseilles is *reportedly* even more infectious than Omicron.

Also, "Flurona" needs to be outlawed as a term. It makes it sound like a new hybrid disease instead of a simultaneous infection. But since it ~rolls off the tongue~ (because not enough people are masked), it's gonna be parroted by local news stations and morning shows.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

also don't believe randos on the internet, particularly on Reddit and Twitter.

in terms of things the government is actually doing, here's something they should have done months ago:

https://twitter.com/jacobbogage/status/1479274999005564933?t=NZkDedDBvwArxWADXhUb4A&s=19

Looking forward to chuds recording them burning/shooting/blowing them up because NOT MAH PRESIDUNT. :rolleyes:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Is the latter supposed to be US Middle East policy?

If it were, the second panel would have to include "now kill each other so Jesus can come back."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Still early and preliminary, but :sigh: nonetheless: https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/01/08/cyprus-reportedly-discovers-a-covid-variant-that-combines-omicron-and-delta.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

As of right now, the Cyprus Deltacron appears to be bullshit, subject to change:

https://twitter.com/DrAhmedKalebi/status/1479993299008110592?t=e0ieJqi6ChEzXSKFxE7cwA&s=19

There was another report from Morocco of like another strain that was detected and quickly died - this kind of stuff apparently happens a lot. Everyone's on edge because nobody knows where the hell Omicron came from - the scientific community expected a Delta-lineage and got this weird variant.

Ah, good to know the Marseilles variant was also a bust.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

They adjusted it to include more modern threats to society after the cold war ended. It includes things like climate change now.

Given that one of the most plausible and probable causes for a nuclear war in the short- to mid-term will be related to water access, it fits.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

BUT MUH FREEDUMZ! :cry:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Thank gently caress the idiot didn't know any startup procedures.

He'd never have gotten aloft, but nothing stopping him from starting the engines and redlining the throttle into the damned terminal. Might be a little difficult to get into the cockpit and throttle down after the front of the airplane's been smashed in and/or crushed by debris.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

lightpole posted:

The turbines aren't spinning while passengers are boarding or something. You can hear them switch from terminal power to turbine generator.

And on the A320 and A330, there's an angry dog on board every plane! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPUWaaXMvcg

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Steezo posted:

I don't think the person who wrote or narrated that knows what a dog barking or a buzzsaw sounds like. That maybe sounds like a handsaw but horrible job describing the noise. Going by the accent I'm assuming its because they never actually worked or have been near an animal in their entire life. How do you have a job that is describe something, be bad at it and not be funny.

I honestly picked that particular video simply because it was the first to be listed and it showcased the noise relatively soon after starting instead of spending five minutes :smug:ging the gently caress out about miscellany (and sponsors).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 12, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

win a gun in a raffle. Definitely a sane loving country we have here.

Classic Firearms (the shop holding the raffle(s)), got into trouble a while back for stealing people's CC info so my guess is the raffles are to build up good publicity.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

pretty cool how a major powerhouse of the government is a bunch of withering, unelected, for-life appointees.

civics / social studies teacher back in middle school commented on how we've had a single constitution since the founding days and how several other countries have rewritten theirs, and how "a slower government is a more stable government". kinda funny to think about now because we have the best of both worlds; a government that can't manage to do gently caress all and one that is hilariously unstable because it's been overrun with a bunch of death cultists at the highest levels

I always thought the better solution for the "Supreme Court" would be to do away with the presidential appointment system altogether and establish a "lottery" system. Federal District Court Judges - one from each District - are chosen for eight month terms, transported to and boarded in DC on the government's dime, they're paid the same amount per month that SCOTUS Justices are now for their time and service, which is a pretty sweet gig if they're living rent-free and can claim a per diem for food and incidentals. If you want a Baker's Dozen, include DC courts in the mix. They'd get a kick out of that.

When their term is up, they return to their prior positions within the District Courts. They're then taken out of the selection pool for two years' time at which point they're eligible for selection again.

I feel one of the worst aspects of our judicial system is that higher-profile Federal Judges feel they need to keep their decisions and ~legacies~ cleaner than their actual case history just in case they ever get that "tap on the shoulder." If you make "sitting on the Supreme Court" a thing that *any* Federal Judge can do - for a limited period - maybe we'll have a better Federal court system since the Judicial "endgame" will disappear.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 14, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Platystemon posted:

This ain’t the Roaring Twenties.

It’s the Second Gilded Age.

More loving drugs were legal (or at least weren't illegal) back in the first Gilded Age, this is more of a Pyrite Age.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 14, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Also automatic weapons were unrestricted in anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jevEf3U7Kws

:smith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Best guess at Putin's goal seems to be what he's been doing for years at this point. gently caress up and destabilize everyone else so his government mafia is the strongest thing in town.

It's also been a while since he's dropped a new track and all the other pariah dictators are thinking he's all tired and Parkinson'ed up. He's gotta drop dat fire or Xi might think of him as more of a hype man than a G. :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Train shipping companies should probably beef up their defenses too.

In five years or less, grocery delivery vans will probably be armored trucks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Everyone loves them some Autobahn, but if you feel like you should do 260mph on a non-closed public road, i kinda feel like you should go straight to jail.

Yes, hot take as a German, but imma say it.

Ngl, the performance of that dumb car is impressive, and the footage is crazy, but Jesus loving Christ

What gets me is when he takes both hands off the wheel to applaud himself while the car is probably still going 120mph+. I get that the car can hold a line better than a photon, but still...no.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/18/1073800454/nasa-scientists-estimate-tonga-blast-at-10-megatons

I can't help but think this is a low-ball estimate.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Chicken Pox Parties" on a national scale, with a virus several orders of magnitude more dangerous than chicken pox.

It makes the ineptness exhibited in Chernobyl seem saner by comparison.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

:same:

There was a rumor Amazon was mulling over something but I'll believe it when I see it.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/20th-century-master-and-commander-patrick-ness-1234769535/

It's a prequel, not a sequel.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I never realized that shooting buffalo early in the game directly lead to their disappearance in later areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojz74do412A&t=35s

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The stock market going down no longer hurts the mega rich and corporations. The massive gains since 2008 have mostly been corporations and CEOs buying back shares from shareholders to insulate themselves so when the bottom finally does drop out, the only casualties will be what's left of the middle class.

Then we can have Neo-Feudalism and referring to Elon and JeffyB as anything other than STAR LORD MUSK and BOX LORD BEZOS will be punishable by the lash - and loss of Prime status.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

if the market tanks the government will just bail it out yet a loving gain. I look forward to being told how universal health care is impossible and if Congress goes GOP it being my fault because I'm not on my local school board or whatever the gently caress though

BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN YOUR COMMUNITY, MR. MAFFEW BUILDINGS. :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Godholio posted:

:lol:

The market is almost everybody's retirement plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eikbQPldhPY

All respect to John Goodman's take on this scene, but this guy gives better financial advice.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Did y'all get tracking numbers? Haven't even received a tracking number yet (just the order number) and I was the one who gave y'all the link :v:

I haven't gotten any shipping notice or tracking numbers, but thanks to registering for Informed Delivery, I see I have a package coming to me from "US Dept HHS - Washington DC" with an UNKNOWN delivery date.

You can sign up here (it's free): https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

It not only gives you an overview of packages coming your way, you get scans of your letter (but not junk or magazine) mail every day sent to your inbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DE-DEMOCRATIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO GERONTOCRACY