Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Bored As gently caress posted:

From the December thread:

Is it true that a gently caress ton of Delta's knowledge, skills, and abilities were passed on through formal and informal trainings to the Rangers, and that over the course of the last 20 years, the Rangers went from being the airfield seizure guys that sometimes did MOUT, to an almost Tier-1 level equivalent when it comes to city fighting, CQB, capture/kill missions?

I've heard and read that in Iraq and elsewhere the Rangers mostly pulled outer / perimiter security for Delta, DevGru, white SEAL teams, and white SF and Green Beret CIF teams, and were the go-to QRF for JSOC, but that they also conducted high profile missions all on their own without Delta backup because Delta passed along its knowledge to its little brother organization.

Reading ans listening to podcasts about this poo poo is the closest I'll ever get to it, but it's fascinating and interesting to me.

If this is remotely true then it doesn't speak well to Delta's skills lmao. Rangers are light infantry who spend some time in one of the Ranger battalions and spend most of their time in the regular Army doing regular Army poo poo. My last year in the Army my brigade leadership got packed full of rangers (Ranger CO, XO and CSM) and it was easily the worst command climate of the 3 brigade command teams I worked under. Rangers also filled out a lot of the battalion leadership and various staff positions. As long as you have a ranger scroll on your right sleeve then you are untouchable and never have to worry about being held accountable for your actions, mountains will be moved to protect you. Everything must be done with 110% effort at all times, HOOAH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Definitely recommend the book Ranger Games for a look at ranger leadership and culture and how it led to a group of them deciding to rob a bank. Somehow years of training never covered “cover your license plate to avoid being instantly caught.”

I like this particular story because it's from my posts own local Ranger BN and it's where most of my BDE's rangers came from.

Read an excerpt, looks like a good book. It's interesting that the author was living in Seattle while his cousin robbed a bank in Tacoma so his descriptions of locations are all places I'm very familiar with.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Insert joke about Packers fans.

One of my friends is a nurse and his wife is like this, she refuses to get the vaccine despite mountains of evidence proving that all of her complaints have no merit. They just had a baby together too.

I know he's worried about when their kid is old enough to get the vaccine, what will her stance be then? Personally, I don't think I could stay married to someone this dumb.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I-5 here in WA has a reputation for being one of the worst commutes but I've managed to avoid needing to use it in the 6 years I've been living here, I've always been able to use city streets or back roads to get where I'm going. Pretty much the only time I get on the highway is if I'm leaving the city.

One of the things that has made me reluctant on buying a house is potentially changing jobs one day and suddenly needing to commute on that poo poo show.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Armor branch spends a lot of time on land nav for it's lieutenants, both ABOLC and the Army Reconnaissance Course (which most 19As go through) teach it with a focus on using terrain association to navigate unlike most of the Army that mainly just seems to teach dead reckoning. The final ABOLC land nav test was some kind of STAR course and ARC only had you navigate to terrain features, OCS was the last time I did a standard "find these 5 exact points" style course. I'd wager armor LT's easily get the most in-depth land nav training in the regular army.

Land nav is one of the few things I thoroughly enjoyed in the Army, one of my best memories was walking through the woods looking for a point in OCS while in the middle of a torrential downpour. You don't really beat brush like that too often as a civilian where there's usually a trail to follow.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Man and I thoughts on the Atlantics recent Covid takes were loving awful.

I knew it was Hugh Hewitt before I even clicked through the article, he's one of WAPO's token conservative opinion writers.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Is there an opinion section anywhere that isn't a steaming turd? I don't think there is.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I just finished The Expanse season 2. It's growing on me and I mostly like the show but Holden is still one of the most annoying characters I've ever watched in a show. More people need to punch him in the face, and keep on punching him until he shuts the gently caress up. How is this guy the leader???

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The people here in Seattle that I talk to that work for Microsoft all seem to enjoy working there, especially the ones in the video game development side. They at least seem to be better than their competition when it comes to how they treat their folks.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The South is pretty much dead to me, despite growing up and spending the majority of my life there.

As I get older I've found I have less and less common with my fellow southerners. Though to be fair, I didn't like them much when I was younger either. The religiousness of the South always rubbed me the wrong way and I never enjoyed the standard redneck stuff like football and hunting.

I'll be living here in the Pacific Northwest until the day I die, much better quality of people out here.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

That's why I like the PNW, or at least western WA. You're surrounded by mountains, forests full of huge evergreens and the Puget Sound is probably my favorite body of water anywhere in the world. Watched sea lions from the beach this morning while I was eating breakfast.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's also nice that in Seattle if you express MAGA beliefs you're much more likely to be punched in the face than find a sympathic ear.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah it's both funny and convenient that there is a literal mountain range separating the liberal and conservative sides of WA. Western WA has like 90% of the scenic parts of the state, unless you're one of those weirdos that prefers deserts to trees.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It is my professional opinion that both trees and deserts are Extremely Cool.

e: other cool places include mountains, canyons, lakes, and other large bodies of water

Well, they can definitely be scenic but I can't stand the dust and dirt that gets into everything that comes with living in a desert.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

I'm late to the Washington State party, but for those who live there, is there any place in that state that's relatively normal-priced for living/renting? Our rent in Vegas is $1600+ (E: and vegas prices are among the fastest-rising, cool) and I'd like to move up to the PNW because I am tired of 110F deserts but I'm totally loving inexperienced when it comes to moving that far and know little about the region.

Not just student debt, I imagine, but lots of things that he could take action on but just... isn't. I mean, consider that we're only just now distributing COVID tests, a year into his presidency, and even then that's limited.

I am absolutely not handing it to Trump here, but his approach to doing poo poo was to just do it, drat the rules. gently caress up everything and let it burn until someone goes "wait, that's not actually legal to do". Biden's plan is to do basically nothing and the idiot senators have been a useful excuse to do just that.

Everyone saw it coming because it's basically Obama Term 3. Though Obama at least had some charisma.

Depends on what kind of place you're looking for. I live in a fairly spacious 2 bedroom apartment in Seattle for $1600 a month. My old 2 bedroom apartment in Tacoma was 1100 a month. I like living in the city because there's tons of stuff to do and I never have to worry about commuting through traffic, I always just take city streets to get places.

Like most places, it's more expensive in the city and gets cheaper the further out you are. Western WA has tons of cool little towns, especially the ones along the Puget Sound.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Lol @ the country with the second highest number of Neonazis per Capita on the continent invoking this issue while actively ignoring them since forever and telling other countries to gently caress off when they raise concerns.

Germany's balls are in a vise, but it's because if money and resources

That's a totally valid complaint from the Ukrainian ambassador to Germany, I don't really see how millions of dead Ukrainians is even remotely comparable to whatever the total number of neo-nazis in Ukraine is.

The history of the Ukrainian people is largely a story of being a victim of it's neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'd take a stryker over a humvee any day of the week, you can pack so much poo poo in/on stryker. Fill one bustle rack with fuel cans and you have an entire extra tanks worth of fuel with you.

There's only 6 scouts on a stryker though, can get pretty clown carlike with the infantry putting 11 in a stryker.