Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Collider/status/1484284854598615043

I was just thinking What ever happened to Matt Fraction just the other day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Seems odd for them to sign with a distributor that ONLY does streaming premiers after they were so pissed at Warner for the HBO Max debuts of their movies.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They were probably getting paid bonuses based on the theatrical box office with that, whereas they're probably getting a better overall deal with a streaming partner.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Seems odd for them to sign with a distributor that ONLY does streaming premiers after they were so pissed at Warner for the HBO Max debuts of their movies.

The Tragedy of Macbeth aired in cinemas before it found wide release on Apple, so I think you're wrong.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Found out the guy playing Vigilante in Peacemaker is a British dude. Throughly impressed with how good his accent is since it's like a billion times better than big actors like Benedict Cumberbatch. He sounds spot on perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeQfRYp3ke8

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I so thought it was going be Adam Scott before the reveal. I know his voice isn't totally spot on for Scott but he has the same cadence and I thought it might him doing a weird choice.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I only watched the first half of that but it sounds like he is doing a Ryan Reynolds impression. Or is that just a type of character you can be now

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I definitely got heavy Deadpool vibes off him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

He's what Deadpool would be if Deadpool was good and not extremely annoying. So basically not really Deadpool.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel like he's channelling a looneytoons Jeffrey Dahmer rather than Ryan Reynolds. Stroma's performance is more dead behind the eyes.

They're totally setting the character up to be a second season villain, yeah?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Vigilante is kind of a mashup of Deadpool and Amos from The Expanse. It's Deadpool's flair and mannerisms, with the core personality of a naive sociopath looking to be good with no understanding of what "good" is.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I feel like he's channelling a looneytoons Jeffrey Dahmer rather than Ryan Reynolds. Stroma's performance is more dead behind the eyes.

They're totally setting the character up to be a second season villain, yeah?

Nah, they gave him the classic out: How do you humanize a serial killer? Have him go loving off on a bunch of Nazis. The second he opens up with "Let's each say something we are grateful for that black people contributed to American culture." I'm like "Yeah ok he's alright.".

e: Gunn loves damaged people coming together to better themselves, and he fits right in with the rest of the crew.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 21, 2022

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wheel of Time was a pretty mediocre and forgettable show tbh. Like others have pointed out it doesn't ooze production value, performances are kind hit & miss and the overall plotting is just all over the place. I watched all of it, but I'm not exactly waiting eagerly for season 2 to see where it goes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah Servant is back. Time for more off the rails ridiculous horror nonsense!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MiddleOne posted:

Wheel of Time was a pretty mediocre and forgettable show tbh. Like others have pointed out it doesn't ooze production value, performances are kind hit & miss and the overall plotting is just all over the place. I watched all of it, but I'm not exactly waiting eagerly for season 2 to see where it goes.

It's also just a really weird time in history to be bringing out a WoT show. As has been pointed out many times elsewhere, the source story is suuuuper gender essentialist, like the whole premise is that men and women are such fundamentally different creatures on a laws-of-physics level that they use opposite forms of magic. Sure at the time it was real progressive in that it featured tons of POV female characters, and the overall textual thrust was more "men vs women, amirite? *seinfeld bass sting*" than anything, but in 2021-22 it has real turd-in-a-swimming-pool vibes. (Plus the whole Breaking of the World concept and men being forever persecuted for their original sin by female authority figures can be read as an extended rape metaphor and apologia for rape culture, but maybe that's just me...)

The show "solves" this problem by being really cagey about these details, but they're so fundamental to the story and what was so conceptually appealing about it in the first place that the universe and characters' motivations feel muddled and vague, whereas at least in the books it was super explicit how things worked and why.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 21, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

muscles like this! posted:

Someone was asking about it a while back but Upload s2 is March 11th
That's a good info, Thanks.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Only seven episodes, apparently. I wouldn't hold out for a third season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TVLine is reporting that Netflix's Daredevil was back in the top ten streaming shows for December. Amazing what a one minute cameo can do for you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

TVLine is reporting that Netflix's Daredevil was back in the top ten streaming shows for December. Amazing what a one minute cameo can do for you.

Kingpin was also on Hawkeye.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Looks like Mr. Money Manager is back with Ozark season 4 being released today!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Hughmoris posted:

Looks like Mr. Money Manager is back with Ozark season 4 being released today!
Is that worth returning to? I bounced off somewhere in season 1, both on first watch and on a second attempt years later.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1484548234882301954

I just saw him on s3 of Search Party.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat, Meatloaf and Louie in the same day.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Paracaidas posted:

Is that worth returning to? I bounced off somewhere in season 1, both on first watch and on a second attempt years later.

I thought the first season was utterly middling but I've gotta admit, I binged the poo poo out of seasons 2 and 3. It's so much fun watching them get deeper into poo poo as they try and squirm out if it.

Plus, Julie Garner is a pleasure to watch and ive just got a thing for Bateman. This character especially, I love his eyebrow raise reaction when someone tells him about the next new thing gone balls up followed by some sort exasperated "well that's not good" but otherwise staying completely calm.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's interesting about Ozark to me is that unlike most "Dad's a crime lord" shows, such as Breaking Bad, almost no tension comes from keeping secrets from the family. The wife and kids are in on it almost immediately, and that gets rid of grating subplots where side characters have to act completely stupid to not see what's going on.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I love Bateman and hate Ozark. All the twists make me groan and none of the characters act like real people.

I'll still watch this last season. Though it's another one of those split final seasons, so maybe I'll just wait a year.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

His character on Baskets is legitimately one of my all-time favorite tv roles.

Pour one out for Christine Baskets, shopping the big CostCo in the sky now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress Louie Anderson what the poo poo :( he really was so amazing in Baskets and poured so much heart and soul into what could have easily been a cheap joke character. Terrible day for celebrity deaths.

Ozark isn’t very good but it’s weirdly watchable and despite not liking it (and expressing that on these forums several times) I’ve watched it all so far and will finish it. The lighting really is dreadful, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not a huge surprise as they recently announced he had cancer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1484573616314494978

Direct TV is pretty much the only carrier of OAN so they really are about to be dead meat. Lol.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Ozark fun fact-

A good friend of mine is a homicide investigator in the area the show is filmed. She also does water search and rescue/recovery stuff.

One day she rolled up to the dock where the police department keeps their SAR boat, and she couldn't find it. There was one that sorta looked like their boat, but had a bunch of extra poo poo on it, and the license numbers were wrong.

After a lot of confusion and phone calls, it turned out the PD had loaned her SAR boat to the production company for shooting a scene and didn't tell anyone in the SAR group. She had to cancel important training until the boat was no longer needed for the shoot.

She loves the show though and thought it was cool, but yelled at whoever arranged it. I think it was for a scene in S3.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Somebody here the other day made some weird comments about Atlanta having too many straight men or something whatever their comment was made no sense to me but I also couldn't articulate why, so I went back and watched it again. Or some of it first time maybe, I really spaced out first watch it seems. The goober comment that prompted it still makes zero sense to me but drat what a fantastic show, thanks weird comment, probably wouldn't have re-watched if not for you.

Mu Zeta posted:

Found out the guy playing Vigilante in Peacemaker is a British dude. Throughly impressed with how good his accent is since it's like a billion times better than big actors like Benedict Cumberbatch. He sounds spot on perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeQfRYp3ke8

Until they showed his face I was convinced it would be Adam Scott.

Looten Plunder posted:

I so thought it was going be Adam Scott before the reveal. I know his voice isn't totally spot on for Scott but he has the same cadence and I thought it might him doing a weird choice.

lol got so excited to share I hit quote before reading the very next post.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1484573616314494978

Direct TV is pretty much the only carrier of OAN so they really are about to be dead meat. Lol.

I think Newsmax is more popular, they need to do that one next if they haven't already

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/dereksmth/status/1484557301134540800

That's a very sweet story.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Genuinely brought a tear to my eye. drat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Single Drunk Female starring Sofia Black-D'Elia premiered on Freeform last night. Anyone watch it or planning on checking it out?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Escobarbarian posted:

Single Drunk Female starring Sofia Black-D'Elia premiered on Freeform last night. Anyone watch it or planning on checking it out?

Sabrina fell on hard times huh

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

The trailer makes it look good enough for me to check out. Possibly tonight.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wrong thread!

Here's a tweet as apology
https://twitter.com/niccolethurman/status/1484341113649459202

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a really lovely story. Just as lovely as when you first posted it in this thread!