Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

can't believe we are most of the way through monday and nobody else in the pynk crew has posted about P-Valley. smh rule number 295.83, you always prioritize P-Valley over other episodes

:heysexy:

Aye Doc posted:

spent some time today thinking about it and (s2e9 P-Valley spoilers) really feel like a whole lot of people are about to die in episode 10. too many folks are in danger, there's too many issues floating in the air that are all going to intercept. Diamond/Big Bone/Keyshawn/Derek going to come together somehow for sure, at least 2 of them gonna be dead imo. Big L isn't going to just disappear after getting fired, Murda and Mane are obviously on a collision course and poo poo Mercedes is stuck in the middle???

speaking of, Brandee Evans/Mercedes made a guest appearance on Teyana Taylor's Last Rose Petal tour to provide the Mercedes Experience to the crowd and it ruled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79CKZJgw9UU

Yeah I'm super worried for 'cedes. poo poo's tense.

Just want my girl to make it out alright. Also Little Big Murda. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Ezra Miller kidnapped and murdered the Lindbergh baby.

Could someone give me a minor Prey spoiler, as I like to not be surprised by this type of content: what's the on-screen animal death situation like? :ohdear: I saw the bear in the trailer, but I assume there's others since it's, you know, a hunting based society, and I'm not trying to be :420: during a "skinning a deer" scene or whatever.

Edit: wow, the categories on DoesTheDogDie.com have gotten...specific!

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 9, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/capybaroness/status/1556804851954290688

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I feel this

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Read After Burning posted:

Could someone give me a minor Prey spoiler, as I like to not be surprised by this type of content: what's the on-screen animal death situation like? :ohdear: I saw the bear in the trailer, but I assume there's others since it's, you know, a hunting based society, and I'm not trying to be :420: during a "skinning a deer" scene or whatever.

Bear dies and is gutted over the Predator's head. Snake eats a rat before being gutted by said Predator. A mountain lion is killed off screen and brought back to the community. Background shots of hides being cleaned. Wolf is killed by Predator. There's some rabbit hunting. There's a whole field of skinned Buffalo. Doggo is fine.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Much appreciated, pal!

I've only seen bits of the Predator movie with Walton Goggins (I think the Topher Grace one?) and the end of AvP, so this will be my first full movie in the franchise. :kiddo:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just bookmark this site and you'll be fine

https://www.doesthedogdie.com/

Read After Burning posted:

Much appreciated, pal!

I've only seen bits of the Predator movie with Walton Goggins (I think the Topher Grace one?) and the end of AvP, so this will be my first full movie in the franchise. :kiddo:

What. Watch the Arnold one. It's John McTiernan as hell and it's great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

I feel this

I mean, that's exactly what happened to me tonight.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I mean, that's exactly what happened to me tonight.

no i know, me too lol

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Dunno if it was here or some other comments section that I heard the joke

"Ezra Miller detonates nuclear device over Jerusalem. Warner Brothers considers limited release for The Flash"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

WB is so desperate to release that movie. I wonder if it's really important to their future franchise releases. They have to be seeing a huge potential blockbuster.

There's no way it's actually getting a theatrical release because that will mean the stars doing press.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They peg it as a $1 bil box office movie and a launching point for a lot of future DC movies.

If they don’t release it, it’s going to gently caress them pretty badly. If they do release it, it’s going to be awkward.

Their best play would have been to get it out the door as quickly as possible to get ahead of stuff, but that window has passed.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Just cgi Grant Gustin's face over Ezra Miller's.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

He took the firing pin out! 🤯

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Catching up on For All Mankind Season 3 spoilers:

Anyone else feel like the setting is a weird swing-and-a-miss compared to previous seasons? Like we’ve had the obligatory Grunge needle drops and of course we have a presidency dealing with sex scandals, but we also have modern flatscreen tvs and monitors but all the tv broadcasts are still in 4:3 for some reason? And all the Helios stuff looks basically like it’s from our 2022. Even the clothing and hair hasn’t been particularly 90s aside from Karen, Margo, and the loser Gordo son.

Part of the fun of the show has been the core premise playing with familiar elements of our timeline and culture and there’s been little to none of that this season.

I’m also super uninterested in a Season 4 that deals with a defunded NASA and a resurgent right-wing government, which the last few episodes have definitely been hinting at. I don’t want a depressing real-life analogue, I want pure sci-fi escapism where NASA actually gets to do all the poo poo that’s routinely scrapped and destroyed by real-world apathy and pork.

And while I’m on my soapbox, I also hate that this whole season has been one event after another of Poole getting poo poo on and sidelined. This last episode’s big twist implying that now she wasn’t even the first person to set foot on Mars sucks. Between this and Molly Cobb only being in two episodes and having to center the main plot around Gordo’s dead-eyed sociopath son I kinda hate this season so far.

Never thought I’d be typing that last sentence about a show that had previously been an all-timer for me.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 9, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i just took a look at the last sentence to see what was so bad, since i really enjoyed S1 - some bad character drama and rote plots aside - and was hopeful that the show was going to continuously improve. turns out, i've basically hated S2 with the exception of molly and gordo! so i'm just skipping over like 50% of the episode storylines now to see if there are any cool developments

the show is way more interested in the emotional drama of the various characters and their families than actually getting into the alternate history stuff or even the astronaut stuff, it's all just kind of a backdrop at this point. i wasn't expecting that after the first season, but in retrospect all the signs were there - i just assumed it was stuff they were putting in place as backstory but nah, this is what they're doing.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

It's amazing how Apple+ is dead set on having their show trademark be "amazing world shaping events happen but people ignore them in favor of their own interpersonal bullshit"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m fine with them doing the character drama, that’s obviously a bigger draw for the writers than the hard alt-history stuff, I just take issue with the characters the writers seem to favor.

I could not possibly care less about either of the Gordo boys and I’m 100% positive they’re going to try and pull some redemptive bullshit for Danny in the finale even though he’s a psychopath, murderer, and an obsessive stalker. I don’t care about the other Gordo son and his dipshit truther friends. And at this point I don’t particularly care about Karen and Ed fighting to remain relevant in an industry that’s supposedly left them behind.

The show’s original premise in season 1 was basically “what if women and POC had been a stronger and more visible part of NASA pre-Shuttle”, so where are those particular characters in season 3?

- Molly shows up in two episodes and is written completely off the show even though her husband continues to pop up.
- Ellen is republican Bill Clinton (I know) and apparently got to power in part thanks to Karl loving Rove.
- Margo is basically a spy who will almost certainly be hauled off in cuffs by the finale.
- Aleida is throwing her career away to protect Margo for some reason.
- Danielle gets racist poo poo from Ed of all people, her becoming the first person to walk on Mars is played off as a pratfall joke ending to an episode, and now the “first person on Mars” title has been taken away again so we can have a surprise twist ending to the penultimate episode.

I mean what the gently caress

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MarcusSA posted:

He took the firing pin out! 🤯

Made it too short, didn't take it out :colbert:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

AceOfFlames posted:

It's amazing how Apple+ is dead set on having their show trademark be "amazing world shaping events happen but people ignore them in favor of their own interpersonal bullshit"

I mean it worked for me in Severance; gently caress what happens to the company, I just want my Marks to be alright

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kazzah posted:

I mean it worked for me in Severance; gently caress what happens to the company, I just want my Marks to be alright

Oh Severance is definitely the exception. Invasion, on the other hand...

Edit: It also works in Severance because the interaction of the characters is a key part of exposing how hosed up of a concept the severance procedure is.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 9, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m fine with them doing the character drama, that’s obviously a bigger draw for the writers than the hard alt-history stuff, I just take issue with the characters the writers seem to favor.

I could not possibly care less about either of the Gordo boys and I’m 100% positive they’re going to try and pull some redemptive bullshit for Danny in the finale even though he’s a psychopath, murderer, and an obsessive stalker. I don’t care about the other Gordo son and his dipshit truther friends. And at this point I don’t particularly care about Karen and Ed fighting to remain relevant in an industry that’s supposedly left them behind.

The show’s original premise in season 1 was basically “what if women and POC had been a stronger and more visible part of NASA pre-Shuttle”, so where are those particular characters in season 3?

- Molly shows up in two episodes and is written completely off the show even though her husband continues to pop up.
- Ellen is republican Bill Clinton (I know) and apparently got to power in part thanks to Karl loving Rove.
- Margo is basically a spy who will almost certainly be hauled off in cuffs by the finale.
- Aleida is throwing her career away to protect Margo for some reason.
- Danielle gets racist poo poo from Ed of all people, her becoming the first person to walk on Mars is played off as a pratfall joke ending to an episode, and now the “first person on Mars” title has been taken away again so we can have a surprise twist ending to the penultimate episode.

I mean what the gently caress

I mean, this season is clearly dramatising a failure rather than a success, but ALSO you've got

* Dev and Karen doing big strides for science stuff in space
* Ellen and Will making strides for queer rights
* Kelly and Danielle being two of the only rational people in space

So there are still big, positive, or at least mixed positive roles for women and people of colour on the show. They're consistently being pushed back upon by regressive politics though, coming from the fundamental issue of Ed and Molly both having poisoned the well by trusting in their space-needs-hard-men, good-old-boys-club-will-work-things-out attitudes.

And of course Ed was a racist. Like, of course. The show not making homophobic or anti commie too was some massive bullshit, lmao. I mean, think about when he came from, what his attitude and assumptions are. Dude's toxic af.

I think the season has done badly in dramatising the 90's, for sure, and I wish it'd played things slightly differently, but I don't think things going poorly for the subaltern characters is some sort of evidence of political failure on the show's part.

Also, FWIW I 100% think Danny isn't going to be redeemed, but will end the season getting away with it all, and they'll unspool all of that next season. He literally kicked a dog. Show's not subtle about wanting you to dislike him.,

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Regarding Ed:

I absolutely buy that a real-world Ed would have been a standard racist, but this Ed has worked and flown alongside POC and women for 25 years by this point and served with Poole in particular on the tin-can Jonestown 1.0 for literal years (iirc). Yeah he’s still an old man raised with deep prejudices but him losing his poo poo and going full “you only got the job because you’re black” to Danielle felt a little abrupt and primarily plot-driven given the history the two characters share.

But on the other hand I’ll give the show credit for saying “yeah, even the characters you like are still prone to outbursts of racist resentment”.

And I can handwave Ed being soft on the Soviets again because we’re 25 years post-Apollo and the show has always leaned hard on the “spaceflight unites everyone, especially in a crisis” aspect.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

For All Mankind season 3 chat While I can agree that the character drama is A Bit Much this season, though in my case mostly due to the two Fail Sons, I'm not so sure about them 'missing the mark' of the 90's. The back and forth with DADT (in the show!) was a bit stupid at first, but now that Ellen came out it sort of paid off, even if the season ends with her being a one-term-POTUS. Which is doubtful, since this is a show about hope and... Change? :ohdear: Season 1 and 2 had a lot of plot revolving around the general anti-LGBTQ attitudes of those decades, and this timeline seems to be more optimistic about how the 90's went about it. But we'll see!

On a larger scale, the 90's of the show-timeline are at the latest the point which should be absolutely unrecognizable to anyone who lived through our version of the 90's. They are technologically way ahead of our 90's, and as a result they're also not hurtling towards a gigantic ecological disaster for... All Mankind :haw: like we are. The Soviet Union hasn't collapsed, so there wasn't a cultural zeitgeist of "the end of history" and the ensuing insanity of unabashed fukuyamaism, neo-liberalism and all that wonderful stuff we got. Which potentially means the 90's wouldn't have the disaffected grunge, we-unironically-identify-with-tylerdurden pop culture that spawned the early 00's, etc. Now, season 4 may or may not have the after-effects of their timeline's version of US domestic terrorism or whatever, and desperately try to ape our timeline's 00's political and cultural landmarks, but I think it'd be better if they just hit the gas pedal on the road to Star Trek.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Regarding Ed:

I absolutely buy that a real-world Ed would have been a standard racist, but this Ed has worked and flown alongside POC and women for 25 years by this point and served with Poole in particular on the tin-can Jonestown 1.0 for literal years (iirc). Yeah he’s still an old man raised with deep prejudices but him losing his poo poo and going full “you only got the job because you’re black” to Danielle felt a little abrupt and primarily plot-driven given the history the two characters share.

But on the other hand I’ll give the show credit for saying “yeah, even the characters you like are still prone to outbursts of racist resentment”.

And I can handwave Ed being soft on the Soviets again because we’re 25 years post-Apollo and the show has always leaned hard on the “spaceflight unites everyone, especially in a crisis” aspect.

Whew, almost rolled over this spoiler because I thought you had some erectile dysfunction advice.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Tragedy today as Ezra Miller was eaten by wolves... they were delicious.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The wolves then died of food poisoning.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's funny that he is a famous criminal with no career, just one unreleased movie nobody would want to have to sit through. Still feels unearned, I can see the fun in someone dressing up as Billy the Kid or being fascinated by Bonnie & Clyde, but nobody's gonna care about being or remembering E Miller in a couple years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jordanzakarin/status/1556829577196052481

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BobbyBigWheel/status/1557074081845055488

Say, isn't this that guy from the gif. I don't know why it's flagged like that it's literally a still from the opening credits of Magnum PI

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

I only watched the first two episodes of Foundation but that's exactly what it seemed like the show was shaping up to be

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Finished Moonhaven last night and I'm honestly not sure what people are seeing in it.

Don't get me wrong, it's neat and quirky in its own way. The pacing is a bit dull though and I really didn't feel like we got into much of the meat about anything.

I don't regret watching it, but it didn't leave any lasting impression on me at all. Contrasting that with something like Severance where I was constantly thinking about the implications of the situation after an episode.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Moonhaven was good when it was exploring how a society without much intrigue and infighting reacts to people trying to bring in intrigue and infighting but welp it turns out the society has a gently caress tonne of its own intrigue which is much less fun.

Also Moonhaven is a democratic and egalitarian society with anarchist leanings unless it's inconvenient for the plot.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I always held up Peep Show as the peak of cringe comedy but Smiling Friends might be making a serious run for the crown. The writing in the Brazil special is just brutal.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think I only saw one episode and I remember it being pretty surreal and bizarre, and cringe and Peep Show seem cringey because they're more grounded and relatable which makes the secondhand discomfort juicier since they're adjacent to real experiences.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So... Better Call Saul is a pretty good show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Never heard of it. Sounds bad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Never heard of it. Sounds bad.
It was only called that in the U.S. In the UK it aired under the title The Naughty Barrister.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

FactsAreUseless posted:

It was only called that in the U.S. In the UK it aired under the title The Naughty Barrister.

Based on a Google search for British slang, it should be translated to...

...Better Tinkle Saul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Leonard Rossiter as Jimmy McGill, Nigel Hawthorne as Chuck McGill, Dennis Waterman as Mike Ehrmantraut, Connie Booth as Kim Wexler, Tim Brooke-Taylor as Howard Hamlin, John Challis as Hector Salamanca and Bob Hoskins as Gustavo Fring.