Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

2nd Amendment posted:

I'd need to rewatch it. Given the people involved I'm sure the jokes are "with love" in a jodorowskian sense but given the time it was made I'd expect a lot of jokes that might cut your kid to the quick.

I watched an episode or two last year and was surprised how well it held up as I had similar expectations. Not saying that there won’t be anything that ages poorly in the whole run, but I don’t recall anything that made me yeesh and it was a fun time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Shageletic posted:

Economically we haven't changed since the 60s. Schools are as segregated as they ever was. In every objective metric pointing to QoL we're worse than we were in the 90s. What the gently caress are you talking about lol

1) The economic argument wasn't true until black wealth got destroyed during the Obama Administration. I'm open to the argument that Obama was the most anti-Black modern president. I don't believe it, but I get that there is an argument to be made there specifically because all the gains that had been made were destroyed during his presidency. When discussing recent political history and major backslides, "Barack Obama" is not normally cited as the cause of the problem. If you are doing that, cool! We are probably much closer in our alignment than you might think!

2) I mentioned school segregation and there was a lot of positive movement with a highwater in 1989, I even mentioned it. It has since fallen erasing the progress.

But that also hurts your timing. America had an unprecedented amount of everything in the '90s. School segregation (which, again, I mentioned) fell during the '90s and is a notable outlier to the overall trend. The rest? A sinking tide lowers all boats but the perversity of capitalism means the smallest boats get crushed. The people with the least lose the most.

I'm all for combining racial and economic arguments but I was literally banned from D&D because I argued that those two arguments were linked. You see, President soon-to-be-elect Hillary Clinton told people that they were different arguments. "Will forgiving college debt cure racism?" Now, I don't want to get banned so I'm going to argue the party line that the mods have taught me time and time again, which is that economic and racial progress are fundamentally distinct and have functionally no overlap.

I don't agree with that, but that's the mass line from the mods to the mods. Given that worldview, holy poo poo are things better. The other side? Easily explainable by other factors.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Shageletic posted:

Lmao pointing to mixed kids as the sole signifier of racism. But we have sex with blacks! RACISM IS OVER

You don't think that is a sign of changing attitudes?

Let's go back to the halcyon days of the 90s when fewer than 50% of white Americans approved of white-black marriages! Things were so much better then according to you, right?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The "Make Good TV" episode of Wondershowzen is, IMO, a stone cold classic.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

2nd Amendment posted:

I was literally banned from D&D

pikachu_shock.jpg

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
This show is going to be great:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1559635574830481409?t=v5eWA1jAMQrbW99CwLq4Ug&s=19

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Good thing I didn't sign up for Disney+ yet, I was expecting She-Hulk to be a serious legal drama.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s true good writing is hard. Glad they are owning up to the fact that the show is going to have poo poo writing.

Setting expectations at the right level.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
It's just going to put its entire weight on obnoxious self-references, isn't it?

No drama, no characterization, just winks and nudges

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like Jessica Gao, but I don't see her retrieving much substance from the Marvel sludge machine.

Also lol that Disney kept telling them to cut Hulk scenes, even into post production.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

2nd Amendment posted:

My goon, they were calling for pogroms in the 1995. They called it the "War on Crime" and talked about Superpredators. And this wasn't by some racist demagogue like Trump, this was by America's First Black President Bill Clinton.

Wouldn’t it be wild if the sponsor of the 1994 crime bill were president of the United States in 2022?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

2nd Amendment posted:

You don't think that is a sign of changing attitudes?

Let's go back to the halcyon days of the 90s when fewer than 50% of white Americans approved of white-black marriages! Things were so much better then according to you, right?

It's weird thing to mostly base a "racism isn't that bad anymore" argument on yeah, compared to the things I cited.

This is a TV thread so I don't want this to be too extended but in my mind racism is inexorably tied and measured by economic conditions. It's why having one or two black people the board of directors of corporations doesn't mean a thing when a broad swathe of black ppl are dying earlier than ever because they don't have access to medical services/housing/non back breaking work.

To sum up, racism and its awful effects are as visible and prevalent as they were in the 90s, which was the original spark for this argument. And this extends to TV, where the levers of power is still controlled by non black ppl.

Thanks!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I know I got banned from D&D for being horrible at this and everyone got fed up reading my bullshit, but since this isn't the place for it and I don't know what I'm talking about here goes:

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Everyone!

You can all relax now.

The flash is safe.

Ezra Miller has apologized.

I'm sure the crack team at Warner Bros. Discovery is patting themselves on the back for this cunning PR move.
Oh thank god! It's safe again! Nothing to see here! Move along!

DangerDummy! posted:

I've got a 14 year old trans kid with an edgy teenager sense of humor. Would Wonder Showzen possibly be a good fit for him?

I mean... it's a risk. Goon below said edgy humour hard mode and that is a fair assessment. I still think it has some gold in there (The "Slaves" song, The Beat Kids! bits) but he's a teen. If he doesn't like it then he turns it off and says "dumb show dad." I still occasionally sing the Beat Kids theme for no good reason other than it makes me giggle. If you want stuff from that era I would say Venture Brothers is a great choice. Metalocalypse for the Dark Horse choice. Funny enough I had a moment like your kid. So I decided to watch some movies from our parent's youth, like Porkys and Bad News Bears. Porky's was...well I lasted about 10 minutes. I was 5 minutes in this guy gives a speech that would make Hitler say "yo - that's a bit racist" and it never really got better from there. Bad News Bears I made it through but they had a running joke of this super racist/misogynist kid in like a "oh don't kids say the darndest things" when some adults would do it too just a bit later. It didn't kill me or anything but definitely made me realize people in the 70's really were still racist as gently caress.

So watched all of Moonhaven because you guys suggested it and very pleasantly surprised. Just a nice little show and not one complaint. Writing, acting, pacing, camera work? All good. Looking forward to season 2. Thanks for the recco!
Sandman Also really good coming from a guy who read those TPBs as a teen and profoundly touched by them. My only minor ask is they don't skip the trippy visuals for future seasons. Didn't mind the Corinthian doing stuff in the background and, like everyone else, the 6th episode was my favourite but overall nicely done show. No real complaints and I loved the casting except for one. Dream can be such a mopey dick and I am glad they embraced that. Looking forward to meeting the entire family although very curious who they get for Destruction and Delirium. The one person I didn't like overmuch was Matthew but I blame part of that on the trial dialogue. He was mostly ok other than that but that "You can do it DREAM!!!" moment was super goofy.
Double Zahn McClarnon Series feature Reservation Dogs and Dark Winds - three(?) episodes each so far. Reservation Dogs is amazing. Needs more Big this season but seriously love this show. Good mix of funny and poignant. Seriously good show that people should watch and kinda wish Taika would find a way to bring back Wayne as it would do well after Reservation Dogs. Last episode (Roofing) really hit me hard.
Dark Winds - I'm up to episode 4(?) and really liking it. Zahn McClarnon is great, as always, and the production is top notch. By production it feels as if the 1971 Southwrest USA era is perfectly captured and really intrigued so far. Definitely a good choice for retro detective stories and something (other than Zahn) reminds me of a more grounded Fargo or less Mormon centric Banner of Heaven if that can be a thing. Side semi spoiler - you do eventually meet a Mormon couple and, after watching Banner of Heaven, it made me giggle even more. If you guys want some good shows to watch I'd say any of all of those 4 are definitely worth your time.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 17, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

muscles like this! posted:

Wonder Showzen is kind of hard mode edgy comedy. You might want to try something lighter like Xavier: Renegade Angel.

What doth life?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wednesday trailer.

https://youtu.be/Di310WS8zLk

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/MrHolness/status/1559831714582740993

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Luis Guzman just feels wrong as Gomez Addams.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never read a book and I never will.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Well, that's some strong casting for Gomez and Morticia, and the piranhas in the swimming pool feels very Addams so maybe?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Alhazred posted:

From the setting, it doesn't seem like the parents will be in it that much so it may not matter

No one can top Raul Julia anyways.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Imagine complaining about Luis loving Guzmán as Gomez

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Alhazred posted:

He's more in line with the character as drawn by Charles Addams

I still would dearly love to see Oscar Isaac do a live action Gomez. He's got the right energy for the John Astin/Raul Julia take on the character.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 17, 2022

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Seemed kinda interesting until they reveal it's taking place at Hogwarts.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While looking for more information about the Garth Marenghi book I discovered that in addition to his comedy work Matthew Holness does write serious horror fiction.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Imagine complaining about Luis loving Guzmán as Gomez

Yeah that’s literally perfect casting.

Finished This Fool season 1. Definitely interested in what other Corporate megafans think about it because it’s so different but also not??? But also I can’t really recommend it so maybe I will never know

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

While looking for more information about the Garth Marenghi book I discovered that in addition to his comedy work Matthew Holness does write serious horror fiction.

He wrote a short story named Possum which he then directed the film adaptation of as well. It's... an experience.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

My god it's just Sabrina.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

howe_sam posted:

I still would dearly love to see Oscar Isaac do a live action Gomez. He's got the right energy for the John Astin/Raul Julia take on the character.

I got the exact same impression watching one of his SNL skits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZNKkylGdjc

Sirotan posted:

Seemed kinda interesting until they reveal it's taking place at Hogwarts.

Open Source Idiom posted:

My god it's just Sabrina.

:same:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wednesday is created/written by Alfred Gough and Miles Millar therefore I expect it to be complete poo poo

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah that’s literally perfect casting.

Finished This Fool season 1. Definitely interested in what other Corporate megafans think about it because it’s so different but also not??? But also I can’t really recommend it so maybe I will never know

Hi yes speaking.

I'm only two episodes in and it's got a similar sensibility, in terms of how it constructs some of its jokes and its sense of the surreal, but it seems waaaaay less mean. I'm vibing with it, but generally my sense of enthusiasm for TV has kinda... I dunno, dulled a bit in the last few weeks.

So yeah, seems like the kind of thing I'd really like if I was vibing with shows as much as I usually do.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

There was exactly one episode of The Sandman i enjoyed. So in conclusion: Instead of a season 2, make a series about Joana Constantine. Thanks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bou posted:

There was exactly one episode of The Sandman i enjoyed. So in conclusion: Instead of a season 2, make a series about Joana Constantine. Thanks.

Guessing you’re a big Arrowverse fan

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

I've never read a book and I never will.

Twas a joke but they could easily get the cast back for an audiobook right? There are certain shows I will never let go of.... and Darkplace is one of them. The Mighty Boosh is another. I still love and watch Spaced. Really that era had some of my all time favourite shows.

bou posted:

I shan't give bile to anyone rocking a Briscoe County Jr avatar so instead will merely inquire what you didn't like about it. Pourquoi pas d'amour? I will also be a fan of any Constantine series as that character has so many season's worth of stories.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I liked everything but the Constantine episode. I already posted my thoughts regarding her character and the ep. But I also felt like the dead woman didn't get much shrift either. Who was she? Etc. With the same level of empathy and interest seen in any other unfortunate ancillary character in the series

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sandman was the first comic I ever read as an adult and I say: impressive adaption. I'm surprised that I've seen specific complaints about eps 5 & 6, which I regard as straight A+ episodes.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

DogsInSpace! posted:

I shan't give bile to anyone rocking a Briscoe County Jr avatar so instead will merely inquire what you didn't like about it. Pourquoi pas d'amour? I will also be a fan of any Constantine series as that character has so many season's worth of stories.

First off, as a reply to the other poster above (don't know how to do 2 quotes in 1, sorry): I liked legends of tomorrow. Arrow and the rest of the bunch i did some episodes and wasn't feeling them either.

Back to the inquiry: I was intrigued at first, but then almost nothing happened that really interested me despite sounding promising on paper i guess? I mean, "battling the Devil in Hell" for example. Such a letdown. The one in the bar was just excruciating. Again, maybe good concept, but horrible execution? I don't know. Doesn't help, that the main character, an endless god-like figure, acts like a teenaged goth trying to emulate Batman. Too many "weird" side-characters that just were there. I really don't want to hate on the show and i can see how fans of the books enjoyed to see it all brought on screen so beautifully but this show just didn't click with me at all.

Thinking about it, the buildup for Season 2 looked awesome - but this came more-or-less completely out of nowhere in the last 10 minutes of the series. Give me this at he peak of, say, episode 3 and fight Hell with quirky dreams and foul-mouthed wizards and i'm on board.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I will say they absolutely hosed up the Oldest Game scene by having Patton Oswalt prompt him

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

He's also acting in the next Mike Flanagan thing. Which I assume is coming in time for Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He was in Bly Manor too