Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Linux on the desktop: the sound of one hand clapping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

:same: but 2018

honestly have had zero issues outside of the occasional nvidia driver bug, but that's not unique to linux

I’ve had a way easier time with nvidia on windows

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

I’ve had a way easier time with nvidia on windows

fedora has the nvidia drivers in an official repo, so, once you hit 'ok i want evil non-free third party repos enabled' the first time you start the software center and install them, everything is automatic from that point on (i.e. i did it once 4 years ago and haven't had to mess with it since)

i do not miss scouring websites for drivers at all, and, honestly, in the last days of using windows, updating nvidia drivers was a crapshoot as to whether or not the screen would go black at some point and require a hard reset, after which you had to navigate the installer at 640x480 or whatever default resolution win 7 used

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

friends don't let friends use linux

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i do a lot of things on my pc that are good and hence linux doesn’t cut it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Linux on the desktop: the sound of one hand clapping

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

fedora has the nvidia drivers in an official repo, so, once you hit 'ok i want evil non-free third party repos enabled' the first time you start the software center and install them, everything is automatic from that point on (i.e. i did it once 4 years ago and haven't had to mess with it since)

the problem with linux is that it’s a communist ideology first, and good software a far distant second

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

the problem with linux is that it’s a communist ideology first, and good software a far distant second

firefox, clion, thinkorswim and the various games i play run just fine, and that's basically all i use now

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

akadajet posted:

ahem, eric a. raymond would like a word

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Leninism, is in fact, Marxism-Leninism, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Marxism plus Leninism. Leninism is not an ideology unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Marxist viewpoint made useful by the historical materialism, a critique of capital and a dialectic comprising a full ideology as defined by the International.

Many political parties run a modified version of the Marxist system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Marxism which is widely used today is often called "Leninism ", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Marxist ideology, developed by the International.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Leninism, is in fact, Marxism-Leninism, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Marxism plus Leninism. Leninism is not an ideology unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Marxist viewpoint made useful by the historical materialism, a critique of capital and a dialectic comprising a full ideology as defined by the International.

Many political parties run a modified version of the Marxist system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Marxism which is widely used today is often called "Leninism ", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Marxist ideology, developed by the International.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The Management posted:

I can see this for running Xcode builds. other than that, I’m not sure what good it is.

it’s not good for anything there’s literally no reason

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

lmfao

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

year of lenin on the desktop

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

:golfclap:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'