Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Happy new year, thread! I feel like my comics were already pretty well described, but I'll add some more inf here and there.

Also re: Boondocks, I'd like to reiterate my point that part of what makes this strip age poorly is that it claims to have revolution in mind, but at least 60% of the output is complaining about a celebrity doing an annoying thing. In this regard, it is the perfect leftist strip.

Breaking Cat News

BCN is one of my favorited but it also overthinks its own premise a ton, and never really got over being a webcomic. By that I mean, the concept is funny on its own, but the strip insists on doing ~*worldbuilding*~ storylines and constantly adding new characters that the art style is too simple to handle. (There are two unrelated orange cats that look exactly alike, there's an in-universe soap opera with one character that looks just like Puck, etc.)

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

On the other hand, Phoebe's world-building and new characters are almost always fun and interesting, and the daily gag strips are the ones that can get lazy.

Wallace the Brave

Everyone loves Wallace the Brave and I think with the introduction of Rose "the smart one" rounding out the cast, it's really hit its stride. Visit Will Henry's wine and chesses shop if you're ever in Newport, RI.

Curtis

Curtis is Curtis. Cartooning is usually good, writing is almost always terrible, frequently forgets to tell jokes and/or resolve stories. Regularly drops into reruns lately, causing some (me) to speculate about the artists' health.

Right now the daily strips are in the middle of the annual Kwanzaa storyline, which is an original out-of-canon story that has nothing to do with the rest of Curtis (and probably should not be the example Curtis strip in the OP, but I don't think anyone really cares.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (March 13, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 13, 2000)

Garfield Classic (March 13, 1990)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Billingsley writes the Kwanzaa stories himself, iirc? I do have to say I appreciate how they feel like genuine folklore. There's a pattern to fairy tale type stories all over the world, a very particular sort of logic and storytelling, and it's not always easy to mimic that on purpose if you don't know what you're doing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ve just realized how stylized Curtis’ hat has become. It’s in the same category as the Lockhorns’ feet now.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For, Alison Bechdel, #143 (1992)

Since it's been awhile:
Lois, Sparrow, and Ginger are three lesbians who I guess at this point are in their late 20s who live together, and are all nominally friends with the strip's main character, Mo (although by 1992 I feel like we're already in the midst of a pivot to more of an ensemble thing).
Lois, the short-haired character with blonde hair, is kind of the punk of the group although that gets toned down as she kind of ages out of punk.
Sparrow, the Asian woman with the pointy bob, begins as the New Age-y one but gradually Bechdel phases her out of that role too as "the New Age-y one" [temporarily] fades as a major lesbian signifier.
Ginger, the black woman who meanders in halfway through the first page, is a grad student, and, in a stroke of bleak realism, remains a grad student for like a decade worth of strips. She's in a long distance relationship which had been somewhat recently established at this point.

Toni and Clarice are a long-term couple (this strip was made well before the legalization of gay marriage) trying to have a kid, a long-running subplot which structures a lot of the early 90s strips. They're markedly more affluent than Mo, who works at a struggling bookstore, and the Lois/Sparrow/Ginger triad, and over the years Bechdel does a lot with the shifting economic signifiers of lesbians as the years go on (Clarice is a lawyer, Toni is an accountant, and in general they're shown to be more interested in respectability and assimilation than the rest of the cast-- something Bechdel tackles with a characteristic degree of nuance).

Not too many historical notes on this one! Bechdel is just keeping the plot wheels spinning and letting her cartooning carry the punchlines.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

maltesh posted:

Why on Earth would any teacher want 100 notifications of a copy-pasted "I will not text in class" message to hit her phone?

Its just the writer trying to come up with a modern some gizmo take on writing it repeatedly on the chalkboard as a punishment, a concept that is so dated that today's kids would need to ask people that only know about it because they asked their parents to explain the opening of The Simpsons.

Aside: while checking to make sure that The Simpsons still does the chalkboard gag, I found a fan wiki that lists an episode of Tom and Jerry from 1955 as referencing the chalkboard gag.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Looks like Comics Kingdom is down right now, I'll post the rest of my strips later!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Everyone loves Wallace the Brave and I think with the introduction of Rose "the smart one" rounding out the cast, it's really hit its stride. Visit Will Henry's wine and chesses shop if you're ever in Newport, RI.

I've always thought that Wallace would make a great RPG, something like Earthbound where you get into wacky adventures with Spud.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Huh, a foob that is good

in part for resisting the temptation to spin it into MY KIDS ARE SO UNGRATEFUL like it usually does, but also just in general, who'd have thought.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

:ohdear:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Comics Kingdom is having issues, so here's the Sunday one I get from GoComics:

FoxTrot

FoxTrot is a sitcom strip about the Fox family, most frequently featuring nerdy young Jason. It's been around since the 1980s but went to Sundays-only in 2006.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Just want to add much appreciation for all the goons who post here!

And also I am an avid fan of DTWOF, though I never read the early stuff, so this is interesting!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Do remote controls have battery indicators? Probably some touchscreen universal ones I bet but that's not what that looks like.

Rex Morgan MD

How dare you bring up one of my past frauds as I accuse someone else of defrauding me!

Flash Gordon

Andertoons still hasn't updated.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just imagining someone bringing a borrowed dog and cat to a park, unleashed

They would just sit on a bench side by side, smiling at you... right?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

gleebster posted:

I can't quite agree with some goons' ideas on this. Apart from a couple strips, these three seem to dog this kid's every waking step, acting like some self-bemoaning Greek chorus. Get yerselves a dog and snap out of it!

Well, there was the time that he seemed to be running a grift on them, which resulted in them trying to grift him back. But again, the trio were our POV characters, so who the hell knows what was really going on in Goldie's head.

Anyway, where'd I leave off last night? Oh yeah, Blondie (From Zero).

Murat "Chic" Young had spent the past several years working on Dumb Dora, a hit flapper strip, and was making a comfortable living, but October 1929 put enough of a financial pinch on him that he asked for a raise and an ownership stake in Dora. Eventually, after a summer of brainstorming, the syndicate agreed to a new strip, one starring a "reformed gold-digger" named Blondie Boopadoop and her rich doofus boyfriend Dagwood Bumstead.

According to Young, Blondie was intentionally designed as a break with the recent past. ""Dora was a typical flapper strip, and in 1930 when flappers were on the way out, I tried to picture the average girl of that age, the kind who led in the complete return to femininity--a reaction from sports clothes, boyish figures and flapperism in general." But as our esteemed OP has sussed out, the premise creaks like nobody's business when you lean on it for long enough, so the adventures of a party girl and a millionaire failson weren't catching on in the Hooverville era. More troubling from a business standpoint was that the strip wasn't exactly setting sales records for the syndicate either. In fact The New York American dropped the daily strip entirely in 1932. Some major surgery was required, but it wasn't immediately obvious where they should make the first incision.

It was in the middle of this crisis that Joe Connolly, the King Features general manager who okayed the strip in the first place, asked Young a million dollar question: "Why don't you have them marry? You know more about married life than you do about flighty dames anyway." And the rest is history...just not the part of the history we've gotten to yet. (June 29-July 1, 1931)

Mutts

Sally Forth(coming Announcement)

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (January 5, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Up until very recently, I called this next Sunday gimmick "Life (With Skippy)". The reason is that Percy Crosby's "Skippy" began in the first version of Life Magazine, back when it was a humor magazine packed to the gills with cartoonists and, by the 1920s, a sizeable representation of the Algonquin Round Table limbering up for the New Yorker. The problem is 1925 was the year that Skippy migrated to the newspapers, meaning that there have been long stretches of the magazine where Mrs. Skinner's baby boy doesn't show up at all anymore. But there are still some really good cartoonists to pick and choose from, and oh, please save me from flipping through old magazines filled with things that I'm totally fascinated by...

So until I come up with something better to call it, here's another installment of Life (While We Wait For Skippy To Come Home) (December 31, 1925)

No Crosby this week, so instead we start with a thematically appropriate Ellison Hoover contribution.

John Held, Jr::

Ethel Plummer, an influential illustrator who was the first female cartoonist published in issue #1 of The New Yorker.

And Edwina Dumm, one of the earliest women in the field, whose greatest claim to fame was five decades of service on the Cap Stubbs and Tippie strip. Tippie also found its way to Life Magazine (and the London Tatler, where the dog was renamed Sindbad), which I'm pretty sure is what we're looking at here.

Life (With Tippie)? We'll see how it goes.

e: because I forgot to mention my quiet pleasure that vintage comics are winning that weird poll. :unsmith:

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 2, 2022

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Look at how happy Wallace is realizing that they're about to be swarmed by gulls. One of the funniest and most consistent joke structures in this entire strip is how there's always an odd person out in a group reaction panel.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Powered Descent posted:

Bizarro is a gag-a-day strip, almost always single-panel, which relies heavily on puns and visual humor. Every strip has hidden symbols scattered somewhere around the drawing -- the number beside the artists' signatures tells you how many there are.

What's with that ghostly jawline--oh, it's an arm.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

Ryan, Tim and Elliot’s band are called “Tin Star Troubadours” and they’re every bit as good as that name suggests.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Junk Drawer is a pretty good single panel strip by Ellis Rosen. It is published every whenever Ellis feels like it, usually once a week these days.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Vargo posted:

BCN is one of my favorited but it also overthinks its own premise a ton, and never really got over being a webcomic. By that I mean, the concept is funny on its own, but the strip insists on doing ~*worldbuilding*~ storylines and constantly adding new characters that the art style is too simple to handle. (There are two unrelated orange cats that look exactly alike, there's an in-universe soap opera with one character that looks just like Puck, etc.)

I really like BCN but I'd say I agree with this, when the strip is just the cats reporting on the family doing things, it's great. But then you have stuff like the cats watching some old videotapes with a mouse in them that's incredibly old and the backstory of some fight with raccoons, or the stuff with the two mice escaping from a science lab, and that's where it loses me.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

I don't like modern Mark Trail for the most part but one thing I do really like about it is that it's not afraid to say that climate change is real and very dangerous, as opposed to Jam Esallen being a climate change denier. Also good on Jules for calling out NFTs and blockchain tech as enormous wastes of energy, bet there's a bunch of lovely techbros whining about it on Twitter.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've always thought that Wallace would make a great RPG, something like Earthbound where you get into wacky adventures with Spud.

I would be open to an animated series of it but the art style should be a package deal.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Love can bloom on the battlefieldat a stand up bar

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Shneak posted:

I would be open to an animated series of it but the art style should be a package deal.

That would be cool! Didn't someone ITT say that Phoebe was getting an animated adaptation?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Seeing Chako like this really changes my understanding of the punchline for those strips where she's calling her sister in the middle of battle. She knows exactly what she's doing.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Love in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That would be cool! Didn't someone ITT say that Phoebe was getting an animated adaptation?

afaik it got optioned, which could turn out as nothing but does mean that it's on the table for getting a cartoon.

Personally, if it happens, I kind of hope it goes back to the "Heavenly Nostrils" name because that was some pretty distinctive stuff.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

LvK posted:

afaik it got optioned, which could turn out as nothing but does mean that it's on the table for getting a cartoon.

Personally, if it happens, I kind of hope it goes back to the "Heavenly Nostrils" name because that was some pretty distinctive stuff.

Nickelodeon bought the rights and as far as I know, debut is set for fall of this year

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

On The Fastrack

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Looks like we're in for Guest Comic Week!!

https://twitter.com/raethedoe/status/1477632802858352646

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Oh hey, Comics Kingdom unborked itself.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "480 - Jucika And The Rear-View Mirror"

"481 - Jucika And The Paratrooper Instruction"

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Vargo posted:

Nickelodeon bought the rights and as far as I know, debut is set for fall of this year

oh, hella nice, I stand corrected.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "480 - Jucika And The Rear-View Mirror"

Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth(coming Announcement)

Sally Forth has a lot of words, but I like those words, so I like Sally Forth.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

lol

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Funny Online Animals, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Sally Forth has a lot of words, but I like those words, so I like Sally Forth.

It's interesting, usually I'm skeptical of winking self-aware stuff but Sally Forth sells it well when their characters are embracing the weirdness but also recognizing how weird it is.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
If I see one more Holbrook comic where the punchline is "lol Zoom" so help me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

:allears: