Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
"Hello, Dawn. This is your new mother."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

I had to look this one up. Portal-to-portal refers to the entire time a worker spends from the entrance of an employer's property, to the actual work site. (e.g. a mine)

There was also the Portal-to-Portal act of 1947 which clarified how workers should or should not be compensated for work-related activities.

manero fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 27, 2022

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

The bold text makes it look like they are shouting very loudly.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 27, 2022

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Selachian posted:

Bonus Ad! Selling cigarettes with dwarf judo!

(Johnny Roventini was a real person -- although probably not judo-trained.)

Something that always strikes me about cigarette ads is that they often talk around "Hey, isn't smoking deeply unpleasant? Don't you hate the sensation of inhaling smoke? Try our brand, it's slightly less abrasive than other cigarettes!"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We don't see Wilbur in-frame yet because he's still wearing one shoe and ripped up castaway clothes

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I hope he's wearing a flowery lei and launches into a joyful description of all the fun he had on the resort island, totally oblivious to how horrible he is for not immediately contacting anyone to let them know he was okay.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Medenmath posted:

I hope he's wearing a flowery lei and launches into a joyful description of all the fun he had on the resort island, totally oblivious to how horrible he is for not immediately contacting anyone to let them know he was okay.

This is what I was anticipating

How can he show up back home without having called anyone first - what a tremendous rear end in a top hat

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wilbur you're alive thank heaven!

Lets not waste any more time, we're getting married right now!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Wilbur you're alive thank heaven!

Lets not waste any more time, we're getting married right now!

Next Up: Wedding Blues!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It absolutely won't be this, but it would be wild if it were Aldo returning for some reason

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

They will get to the altar and we'll get a runaway bride situation and everyone will cheer going phew, finally

Mary talks her back into it and they get married for real

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I hate this Mary Worth plot yet I can't look away.

Also, that tofu tomato salad looks delicious but I might use basil instead of mint? I dunno, looks super versatile so do whatever you want.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

El Spamo posted:

Also, that tofu tomato salad looks delicious but I might use basil instead of mint? I dunno, looks super versatile so do whatever you want.

Yeah I just had whole mint leaves on hand, so I used it for the photo. I took them off before eating it! I'm not sure what perilla tastes like so I don't know the best actual substitute.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He should have done it at his own funeral and introduced his new wife. Just gone full JoJo.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I won't be posting for 4-5 days due to vacation travel. Please ration these Jucikas carefully!

Jucika "5 - Jucika on a Suspicious Classified Advertising"

"Pretty, 20 years old, Brunette girl looking for a man between 25-30, with a stable background."

"6 - Jucika Grabbing Violets"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Encyclopedia Brown has now taught me never to tell the cops if I've spent hours going south on Interstate 94. (Talking to cops at all would be my first mistake, of course.)

And I was hoping Wilbur would take this opportunity to shed his old life, hop a freighter that's sailing for Johannesburg*, and start over as a drifter, floating from happy hour to happy hour in an alcohol-soaked haze mysterious globetrotting adventurer. :(

Bizarro

The Family Circus

* In the Worthiverse, there's a beach in Bogota (elevation 8660 feet), so yes, there's also an ocean harbor in Johannesburg (~300 miles inland). :colbert:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Murdstone posted:

No one can resist the lure of Mary Worth.

Oh boy! Looks like my wish might become partially true!

me posted:

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

My hope is that Wilbur bursts in through the door, screams "I'M SAFE!" then all three strangle him and then go back to mourning sandwich boy

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I so badly want Duffman to show up in Mary Worth tomorrow.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Smitty edition)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I've been enjoying the terrible Mary Worth storyline, but it's beginning to grate on me and I hope they end it soon. They don't have to resolve anything, just move on to another story and let this one simmer with everyone mad a Wilbur.

Either that or rename it "Mary Worth and Wilbur Weston" and gradually work Mary Worth out of the strip like they did with Barney Google and Snuffy Smith.

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

I feel like we're not supposed to like this girl but she seems OK to me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Medenmath posted:

Thanks for posting this recipe by the way. :yum: I couldn't find perilla leaves so I chopped up some mint just for the photo. I don't know if it was worth it since I'm not all that good at making food look nice anyway.

To quote the inimitable Naked Snake:

So, how does it taste?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

rannum posted:

Next Up: Wedding Blues!

Estelle: but Wilbur, we can't have a hazelnut wedding cake, you know I'm allergic!

Wilbur: *hic* thish weddingsh off! *falls off balcony, lands in a pile of money and sandwiches*

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Samovar posted:

So, how does it taste?

Yah, seriously I have a grocery shopping trip either today or tomorrow and I might pick up some tofu and fresh tomatos to make a salad.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Hold the phone, EB. That rule doesn't necessarily apply to three-digit routes. :colbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

JethroMcB posted:

Something that always strikes me about cigarette ads is that they often talk around "Hey, isn't smoking deeply unpleasant? Don't you hate the sensation of inhaling smoke? Try our brand, it's slightly less abrasive than other cigarettes!"
The 79 paper I use has a full page cigarette ad in a surprising number of issues along with some smaller ads. My favorite is all the ads talking about "low tar". I assume people were starting to push back against how unhealthy smoking is and the low tar stuff was companies trying to pretend their product is healthy and fine.

"It's only 8mg! Totally safe and won't give you cancer!"

Powered Descent posted:

Encyclopedia Brown has now taught me never to tell the cops if I've spent hours going south on Interstate 94. (Talking to cops at all would be my first mistake, of course.)
:hmmyes:

(for the unaware, I94 has a bend where it goes north/south to get around Lake Michigan. Pretty much the entire section in Illinois is that way.)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Samovar posted:

So, how does it taste?

El Spamo posted:

Yah, seriously I have a grocery shopping trip either today or tomorrow and I might pick up some tofu and fresh tomatos to make a salad.

If you like tomatoes and Japanese soups you will probably like it. I like plain tofu on lettuce salads and stuff so that helps. Since I only needed a tiny bit of the broth I made some by mixing soy sauce, mirin, and some of the sake I was drinking, and letting it sit with some kombu that I later removed. It was sweet due to the mirin, so maybe I should have used a little less. There's probably lots of ways to adjust this based on your preferences. I also added the ginger and garlic from the main recipe since it was all going to end up together anyway. I think it might help to let the tomatoes sit in the whole preparation overnight.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Painful interlude (46/1936)

Staple characters of the traditional Kasperletheater, the German version of a puppet show that exists in many similar expressions across Europe, such as the English Punch and Judy show, include Kasper, the Policeman, the Devil, the Wizard and the Crocodile.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

The 79 paper I use has a full page cigarette ad in a surprising number of issues along with some smaller ads. My favorite is all the ads talking about "low tar". I assume people were starting to push back against how unhealthy smoking is and the low tar stuff was companies trying to pretend their product is healthy and fine.

Oh yeah, it can be startling to pick up an old magazine or newspaper and be reminded just how omnipresent tobacco advertising used to be in print media -- especially after tobacco ads were banned from TV, and the butt peddlers had to put their advertising budgets somewhere.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Haifisch posted:

"It's only 8mg! Totally safe and won't give you cancer!"

:hmmyes:

(for the unaware, I94 has a bend where it goes north/south to get around Lake Michigan. Pretty much the entire section in Illinois is that way.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_(tobacco_residue)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Ah, what a wonderful day where my father isn't dead! Good day, all! I hope that like me, your day has been filled with your father not dying!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Which is a good time to share this one-pager:

Which is an homage to a famous series of kids' books with images of kaiju:

ChaCha Chako

Chako knocking the sun into a lake is referring to one of the very first Chako strips, which wasn't tagged nicely on Q-Rais' site so I didn't share it here.

Night Visitors

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Haifisch posted:

Major scientific literature regarding the health hazards of tobacco date to the 1910s. This started getting into the popular media around 1952, after there had been enough studies to solidly support the notion and not enough wars to occupy the public attention. This is why filtered cigarettes started cropping up in the mid-50s - the tobacco industry was pushing hard to counter the emerging narrative that their products killed their customers. Government officials were pushing for modern-style indoor smoking bans by the 60s.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Emi PUNCH

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

Which is a good time to share this one-pager:

Which is an homage to a famous series of kids' books with images of kaiju:

I was actually just wondering how her being a cyborg worked, since most of the other characters with cyborg parts have bits that look obviously mechanical. Can't fly huh... Maybe after she saved the assassin the owner will give her a raise so she can spring for the Astro Boy package.

Thanks for posting this strip by the way, I have a thing for slice-of-life stuff with fantastical settings.

Gnoman posted:

Major scientific literature regarding the health hazards of tobacco date to the 1910s. This started getting into the popular media around 1952, after there had been enough studies to solidly support the notion and not enough wars to occupy the public attention. This is why filtered cigarettes started cropping up in the mid-50s - the tobacco industry was pushing hard to counter the emerging narrative that their products killed their customers. Government officials were pushing for modern-style indoor smoking bans by the 60s.

It's depressing, but not terribly surprising, how long it took for those kinds of bans actually to happen.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Still Ongoing Animal Plotline

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Medenmath posted:

It's depressing, but not terribly surprising, how long it took for those kinds of bans actually to happen.
And even today you still see occasional smoker mad that they can't stink up any space they want to. :bahgawd:

I feel like this is gonna be one of those things where kids will start assuming it was banned in like the 50s and be shocked when they find out otherwise.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Haifisch posted:

And even today you still see occasional smoker mad that they can't stink up any space they want to. :bahgawd:

I feel like this is gonna be one of those things where kids will start assuming it was banned in like the 50s and be shocked when they find out otherwise.

Like lead paint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Haifisch posted:

Tobacco companies really got their claws into China, India, and the developing world.