Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm not completely convinced that "Murder, She Wrote" and "Poirot" count as Copaganda.

Or "Hot Shots".

Also "Wire"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xarn posted:

Or "Hot Shots".

Also "Wire"?

And who the gently caress watches Adam-12, Mod Squad, or Mannix these days?

EDIT: Oh my loving God, this idiot listed Police Squad! as Copaganda.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Unfortunately the state forced her to carry her hydrocephalic mutant baby to term in spite of the fact that by four months it was clear that it wasn't viable, not only forcing her to endure the trauma but also burdening the family with decades of medical bills.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Also "Prison Break" and "The Fugitive," where they are explicitly going after the wrong guys.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

WATCH ANOTHER SHOW

It's not like there's a lot of shows specifically about the reproductive rights of women.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Discendo Vox posted:

Wait wait wait is this a reference to loving wrong way Corrigan? A trivia figure from the 1930s?
If it is supposed to be then he definitely didn't trace anything because the plane isn't even superficially a Curtiss Robin.

Raised By Birds posted:

Gary Varvel

And a sneak preview of tomorrow...
I'm sure it's been commented on before, but the framing of void fetus politoons really highlights the fact that conservatives see women as a life support system for a uterus. No face, or head, or really any identifying characteristics, just a shadowy outline containing a womb.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Raised By Birds posted:

Gary Varvel

And a sneak preview of tomorrow...
gently caress. I don't know if anyone outside this thread thinks about cartoons for more than a second, including the authors, but that cut off of the mother's face is like...

Is she happy, because... no one will force her to abort her baby? Is she sad, because she intended to have an abortion despite being about 8 months pregnant? Is she horrified, because now she can't get an abortion to save her life after a last moment complication?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There is zero chance Varvel considered that for even a second. There’s one person in the cartoon and the woman ain’t it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And who the gently caress watches Adam-12, Mod Squad, or Mannix these days?

EDIT: Oh my loving God, this idiot listed Police Squad! as Copaganda.

Nameless Pete posted:

Also "Prison Break" and "The Fugitive," where they are explicitly going after the wrong guys.

Nothing I love more than folks missing the forest for the trees when it comes to criticising leftist cartoons

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The Fugitive absolutely lionizes Tommy Lee Jones, Jesus loving Christ y'all.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
It's nitpicking, but also as a non-american I only recognize few of these, and for at least half of the ones I do I don't see how it fits the description without reeeeeealy stretching things :shrug:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Xander77 posted:

gently caress. I don't know if anyone outside this thread thinks about cartoons for more than a second, including the authors, but that cut off of the mother's face is like...

Is she happy, because... no one will force her to abort her baby? Is she sad, because she intended to have an abortion despite being about 8 months pregnant? Is she horrified, because now she can't get an abortion to save her life after a last moment complication?

That really should be the only edit for the "Fetus in a void" comics.

Draw the mother being like" guess i gotta keep my rapists child now, hope i dont treat the child badly for no particular reason"

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Do you ever feel like if they suddenly repealed the 13th amendment, all the Conservative cartoonists would have a bunch of pro-slavery cartoons ready to print the next day?

I don't think the Overton window is real, guys. Anything can be instantly normalized if they want it to be.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
The shows where cops are goofy, slightly incompetent but gosh darn it, they’re good people and they can pull together against overwhelming odds and make it so everyone is just a little bit safer (even if they break the rules now and then) is in fact fairly decent propaganda

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

For gently caress’s sake, if they intend to have a baby, then they can call it a baby.

Just like you can look at someone preparing batter and say “That cake is coming along nicely” but it’s still not a cake yet and if I served you a bowl of batter with candles in it you’d probably be less than pleased.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SubG posted:

I'm sure it's been commented on before, but the framing of void fetus politoons really highlights the fact that conservatives see women as a life support system for a uterus. No face, or head, or really any identifying characteristics, just a shadowy outline containing a womb.

Xander77 posted:

Her face isn't visible because there's literally no possible face she could be making that would help his case here. If she's happy, she wasn't going to get an abortion in the first place. If she's sad or scared or devastated, it implies she won't or can't love and care for the child adequately and it may have a horrible life. Or, as Xander mentioned, her life may be at risk. And it's not really an option to make her mad, either, or done up in the typical conservitoonist "gotcha" (dumb crazy dyed hair liberal), because then you're implying she'll be a terrible parent. The standard is to make the person getting their comeuppance someone you hate but they would never draw a liberal having a child in this sense because they actually don't want that.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Pants Donkey posted:

For gently caress’s sake, if they intend to have a baby, then they can call it a baby.

Just like you can look at someone preparing batter and say “That cake is coming along nicely” but it’s still not a cake yet and if I served you a bowl of batter with candles in it you’d probably be less than pleased.

Given how they've turned "don't call trans men women" into "you can't say woman anymore" as a mainstream thing people believe, I bet this will also get traction and turn into "pro choice people are going to take your babies away."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I wonder what they think the pro-abortionists' endgame is . Like, do they believe that people want to kill babies just because they're evil?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Alhazred posted:

I wonder what they think the pro-abortionists' endgame is . Like, do they believe that people want to kill babies just because they're evil?

Trans people want to trans your daughters for "????" reason. They see someone else making a decision they don't agree with as them having their freedom taken away. So, they want to force them to make decisions they want them to make. For freedom.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Oliver Dowden’s resignation as Conservative party chair – Dowden resigned after the party’s byelection losses in Wakefield and in Tiverton and Honiton, saying somebody ‘must take responsibility’ for a recent run of poor results"

Telegraph:

Prince Charles and Camilla host leaders for Commonwealth dinner in Rwanda Oh, CHOGM 2022, that well known thing.

Matt:

Boris Johnson fails to deny that Carrie was considered for Foreign Office and royal jobs

Independent:

After Peter Coker.

The i paper:

Times:

Stephen Collins:

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Alhazred posted:

They 100% do.

The number of people who lapped up that absolute dipshit accusation of "post birth abortion"...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Alhazred posted:

You'd be surprised* how open they can be about opposing sexual autonomy. I've only been on "hate mail opening " duty for work a few times, but it was amazing how much "don't have sex if you aren't willing to raise a kid" stuff was in there were along with everything calling us murderers and describing our futures in the Inferno. I laugh when I see those "is this about protecting women/the unborn or is it about punishing people for having sex" charts because they'll outright tell you it's the latter.

It's the same reason they can be opposed to abortion while also opposing contraception, despite the obvious contradiction. It's always been about controlling people.

*not actually surprised

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

JamesBont posted:

"And I'm sure my mom-to-be will make sure I have the best life possible, with access to education, healthcare, and--"

"LOL no that's communism gently caress you"

Well if the baby happens to be born in a white middle class neighborhood it would be fine.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Yes, absolutely, 100%. This is true for literally every other regressive position. They can't acknowledge that they want to take away people's rights to do things that don't hurt anyone else, because they know that's a bad look in modern society, so they frame it as their opposition wanting to force everyone to do that thing. They're going to force everyone to get an abortion. They're going to force everyone to be gay. They're going to force everyone to be trans.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

quote:

US act on Xinjiang so silly as laughable By Zhang Zhouxiang 22/6

The US' so-called Uygur Forced Labor Prevention Act came into effect on June 21. How ridiculous! Xinjiang people live freely in the autonomous region, but outsiders claim they are used as "forced labor".

For the past several years, the West fabricated one lie after another about Xinjiang, but they are so absurd as not to be worth mentioning.

On the contrary, the US' "sanctions" against Xinjiang have damaged their own supply chains, which in turn makes it more difficult for it to solve its inflation problem.

Actually it is the West that has a record of forced labor. Centuries ago, they had big plantations that exploited indigenous people and Africans;

Now they have private prisons whose owners profiteer from the prisoners' labors.

For centuries, there has hardly been any change.

How shameless must some US politicians be to blame China for their own wrongs?

Before pointing an accusing finger at China, Western politicians better look at their own history first.

Le Monde

23/6

by Adene from France
The different pillars represent the different parties within the new French parliament.

Charlie Hebdo

Good luck, Mr Coty
They're drawing Macron as René Coty the last president of the Fourth Republic.

Retirees- We don't dare refuse them a thing

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Alhazred posted:

One thing right wingers love to concern troll about is "Democrats are the real racists trying to genocide minorities through abortion." They'll talk about Margaret Sanger created Planned Parenthood purposely for eugenics. They think that Dems force minority women to have abortions against their will and won't someone save those poor minority women from having the babies they definitely want to have killed?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
While deliberately ignoring that the places with good social welfare, contraception access, and sex education have far lower abortion rates than the places that banned abortion.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Guavanaut posted:

While deliberately ignoring that the places with good social welfare, contraception access, and sex education have far lower abortion rates than the places that banned abortion.

Banning stuff only makes it more cool.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They want to punish women for having sex. Even now, the “protect our babies” assholes on twitter are talking about abstinence and condoms.

It’s never been about protecting babies. If they thought abortion was murder, they’d be rioting in the streets. I mean, if there was mass murder happening every day at a building in your town, would you just go there and hold up a sign and maybe say mean things to the murderers?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Are those captions from the China Daily itself? It's remarkably by the numbers when presented in a string like that; practically a recitation of the narcissist's prayer.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s never been about protecting babies. If they thought abortion was murder, they’d be rioting in the streets. I mean, if there was mass murder happening every day at a building in your town, would you just go there and hold up a sign and maybe say mean things to the murderers?
Unveiling Republican hypocrisy has been a pointless "gotcha" for decades now, but this in particular has helped has caused the exact opposite of the... intended?... reaction.

A generation who kept getting called out "hey, if abortion is murder, why would there be an exception for incest and rape? Why are you just voting for Republicans rather than reacting the way you would to a genuine genocide?" didn't re-evaluate their ostensible stance on abortion, but rather raised a generation of true believers - abortion doctor murders who make no exception for rape, incest, or .

Maybe go with something else.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/happyroadkill/status/1540772740944146432

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

What's with the... jumping lump thing?

edit: oh no wait, it's the speech bubbles turning into hay and falling down. God this is poorly conveyed

Procrastine fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 25, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Unveiling Republican hypocrisy has been a pointless "gotcha" for decades now, but this in particular has helped has caused the exact opposite of the... intended?... reaction.

A generation who kept getting called out "hey, if abortion is murder, why would there be an exception for incest and rape? Why are you just voting for Republicans rather than reacting the way you would to a genuine genocide?" didn't re-evaluate their ostensible stance on abortion, but rather raised a generation of true believers - abortion doctor murders who make no exception for rape, incest, or .

Maybe go with something else.

Noting the contradiction was potentially valuable for the proportion of the public who had never thought about it before. Many people don’t care and power certainly doesn’t, but for people who just accept it as common sense that those exceptions should be made, there’s a core of human compassion there that is worth trying to reach. Or that was in the now-gone end-of-history liberal order. Everyone’s been radicalized three times over by now.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Don't point out Republican hypocrisy; it will only make their opinions worse," is surrendering the narrative. They're gonna find a way to self-radicalize no matter what you do, and there is no clever argument to be made that will sway them. It is their opponents who believe in words.

Anyone who is capable of listening to reason is pro-choice or living under a rock, in part because Republicans have long since stopped pretending they care about anything other than controlling minorities and lining their own pockets. Why should anyone else have to keep up the pretense? This is only happening because the system is broken and establishment democrats don't care enough to pick a fight over it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

"Don't point out Republican hypocrisy; it will only make their opinions worse," is surrendering the narrative. They're gonna find a way to self-radicalize no matter what you do, and there is no clever argument to be made that will sway them. It is their opponents who believe in words.
Pointing out hypocrisy is one (mostly pointless) endeavor. "If you truly believed what you say you believe, you'd be doing a lot more harm in the following way" is an outright instruction for radicalization.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Are those captions from the China Daily itself? It's remarkably by the numbers when presented in a string like that; practically a recitation of the narcissist's prayer.

Yeah that "article" is what was up on the site. They do one every week or so. They just put together a bunch of older cartoons, which are usually published with a title only, to make a point. I've posted the ones where we haven't seen the majority of the comics, since the text is, as you pointed out, incredibly on the nose, and of very little interest.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

They want to punish women for having sex. Even now, the “protect our babies” assholes on twitter are talking about abstinence and condoms.

I mean, looking at places with actual genocides, a protest and mean words are kinda more than the average (mostly because there's no real risk though). Leaving aside the actual terrorism, but that happened in Nazi Germany as well as USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Somfin posted:

Nothing I love more than folks missing the forest for the trees when it comes to criticising leftist cartoons

I refuse to give stupid statements a pass just because I agree with the larger message.