Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I am struggling to understand this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

JerikTelorian posted:

Maybe it has something to do with Elon musks brain chip? There was some recent news about hiring a director for trials

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

JerikTelorian posted:

people are running out of energy to think about covid protocols but COVID itself is still going strong

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: The Golden :drat: Award

the_steve fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 25, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Holy poo poo, Kelly

The middle finger

Liberty's location

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

the_steve posted:

Funky

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the_steve posted:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:: Straya Day Edition

Broelman:

Part of Australia Day is questions about what it means to be Australian and also whether the anniversary of when soon-to-be Governor Arthur Philip first raised the Union Jack in Sydney Cove to claim the continent for George III and build a penal colony is the best defining moment for the country. Another part of Australia Day is having a day off.

Brown:

Citizenship ceremonies are another part of Australia Day.

Downes:

Grace Tame's frosty exchange with Prime Minister Scott Morrison brings tenure as Australian of the Year to an end (ABC). Grace Tame is an advocate for survivors of sexual assault and has been strongly critical of the government's inaction on dealing with their toxic workplace culture.

Lethbridge:

Spooner:

Tennis Australia backflips on 'Where is Peng Shuai?' T-shirt ban at Australian Open (ABC).

Wilcox:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Nusrat Ghani’s claim of Islamophobia in the Tory party – Boris Johnson has ordered an inquiry into an MP’s claim that she was sacked as a minister after being told her ‘Muslimness’ was ‘making colleagues uncomfortable’"

Telegraph:

Gainsborough's Blue Boy, National Gallery review: hurry to meet him, before he's gone again

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Boris Johnson orders inquiry into Nusrat Ghani’s Islamophobia claims

Evening Standard:

Boris Johnson faces fresh outrage over lockdown birthday party

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Huh. I didn't know schools were in charge of virology, public health, and disease control policy in the US.

Oh, right, they aren't you stupid stupid liar.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't see why the coyote is so horrified at his friend starting her own political party, she's just going to forget all about it in a week like always

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Oh, is that what she's trying to do? So far they've just been going "I'ma do it!" "Don't do it!" "I'ma do it" without elaborating so I have no idea what the hell they're going on about here.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

VitalSigns posted:

I don't see why the coyote is so horrified at his friend starting her own political party, she's just going to forget all about it in a week like always

Just in time to start working on Hunny Bunny's campaign again, despite hating her and everything that she stands for.

Jagged Jim posted:

Oh, is that what she's trying to do? So far they've just been going "I'ma do it!" "Don't do it!" "I'ma do it" without elaborating so I have no idea what the hell they're going on about here.

Yeah, we've reached this part in the cycle. Carmen will run for office, either as a republican or libertarian, depending on how bad the republicans are looking in the news in two weeks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jagged Jim posted:

I feel extreme deja vu because I'm pretty sure "I'm gonna do it!" and then after a week of buildup "it" turns out to be "running for office" is a plotline they've actually done already, beat for beat.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

She was his running mate back when he ran for president in 2008 so it's a personal betrayal.

Frankly I'm all for Prickly City going back to having them running for office every two years because anything is better than them endlessly moping about the desert. I strongly doubt though that Stantis has the willpower these days to make anything stick until November.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
At least when Ishida does insubstantial storylines that mean nothing and fizzle out with little to no resolution he has the decency to do 20 of them at once so it at least feels like events are taking place from time to time

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Every time I check in on the desert cartoon it's always basically a carbon copy of whichever one I saw last week. Whatever happens in those things must move at a glacial pace, the DBZ of politoons

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vib Rib posted:

I feel extreme deja vu because I'm pretty sure "I'm gonna do it!" and then after a week of buildup "it" turns out to be "running for office" is a plotline they've actually done already, beat for beat.

Prickly City, like time, is a flat circle.

There are no beginnings or endings with the wheel. It is a story arc yet to come and a story arc long passed.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Angepain posted:

At least when Ishida does insubstantial storylines that mean nothing and fizzle out with little to no resolution he has the decency to do 20 of them at once so it at least feels like events are taking place from time to time
We also get sometimes get fun imagery like cool plague doctors or a giant snake going up the Washington Memorial :black101:

Better than the same two characters doing nothing in the same featureless desert.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Stantis is 1st form and Ishida is the evolved form of the Talks a lot but Says Nothing pokemon

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Nick Anderson

Clay Bennett

Tim Campbell

Jeff Danziger

John Deering

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

Clay Jones

Joel Pett

Jen Sorensen

Jeff Stahler

Tom Stiglich

Odd that she would make such an error, as she's looking right at the same TV he is.

Dana Summers

Gary Varvel

Oddly enough I was just thinking about how the M&M's thing is just as much of a nonissue as the Potato Head stuff was.

Tony Branco

quote:

Red Standards
Corporate America and the Democrats are selling out our humanity in exchange for China’s money.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Yes, exactly. It's not being taught in public schools, and also the arguments being fielded to stir up outrage about it are racist bullshit and lies.
Or, in fewer words: gently caress off, Gorrell.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Raised By Birds posted:

Tom Stiglich

Odd that she would make such an error, as she's looking right at the same TV he is.
Telling someone what they said was loving stupid: a sure sign you are terrified and intimidated.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Potatoes are hermaphroditic, so technically they are non-binary and that would make Mr. Potato by definition trans :eng101:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

*spits french fries in disgust*
T-t-t-t-t trans? TRANS?!
:v: "No sir we use absolutely no trans fats in this restaurant, I was referring to the potato as an organism"
Oh allright then, just gave me a scare. Gotta watch out for my health *resumes devouring oily spuds*

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

...what?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The Chinese government was just about to whip this genocide problem down when the US got involved. Bad US.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Raised By Birds posted:

Gary Varvel

Oddly enough I was just thinking about how the M&M's thing is just as much of a nonissue as the Potato Head stuff was.

The cartoonist wants to gently caress candy

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I'm assuming that at some point Xi commented on the US calling out China's human rights violations, and he likely said something along the lines of "The US has no room to call us out on these alleged actions when they're not even a proper democracy due to disenfranchising their own citizens."

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The cartoonist wants to gently caress candy

tired: s&m
wired: m&m

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm assuming that at some point Xi commented on the US calling out China's human rights violations, and he likely said something along the lines of "The US has no room to call us out on these alleged actions when they're not even a proper democracy due to disenfranchising their own citizens."

The US (and I think a few others) are staging a "diplomatic boycott" of the Winter Olympics, which are held in China, citing human rights abuses. A diplomatic boycott basically means the athletes can go, but the various government officials who show up for the party will not attend. China has taken the insult, and are saying it violates the spirit of the Olympics to drag politics into things (fair point, gently caress the Olympics), the US are acting like a man "lifting a stone to crush his own foot", and will suffer unspecified consequences somewhere down the line.
However, I have not been able to find any Chinese government official firing back specific criticisms of the US and voter suppression. I believe Branco has deliberately jumbled up his enemies. Xi Jinping is speaking w/ the voice of the Democratic party who are trying to protect voting rights, and by implication the democrats are now defending the worst abuses of the Chinese government.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Raised By Birds posted:

Gary Varvel

Did Varvel draw Potato Head there because he thought his audience didn't know what a potato was

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

UZworm posted:

Did Varvel draw Potato Head there because he thought his audience didn't know what a potato was

I think they're still mad about Hasbro making the Potato Head branding more gender neutral.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's MISTER Potato Penis-haver Head!!! :mad:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's MISTER Potato Penis-haver Head!!! :mad:

that one owned particularly because the one toy is still called Mr Potato Head

they just renamed the whole general toy line to Potato Head, featuring Mr, Mrs, and Baby (?) Potato Head

there is a baby potato head, right?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

The US (and I think a few others) are staging a "diplomatic boycott" of the Winter Olympics, which are held in China, citing human rights abuses. A diplomatic boycott basically means the athletes can go, but the various government officials who show up for the party will not attend. China has taken the insult, and are saying it violates the spirit of the Olympics to drag politics into things (fair point, gently caress the Olympics), the US are acting like a man "lifting a stone to crush his own foot", and will suffer unspecified consequences somewhere down the line.

The Olympics has never been apolitical though. Not even in antiquity.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jagged Jim posted:

Oh I'm just assuming because I've read this poo poo long enough that there's kind of a pattern.

Stantis bitches about how neither party represents him, Stantis fantasizes about starting his own party of pure and good values that all Americans can agree on, Stantis abandons the plot line after a few days of "wow gee finally a sensible party for the silent majority" because obviously how can you comment on current political events in the context of a fantasy plot with an imaginary third party that beats them both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is the new year story over now? At least he ended it before February. Although none of it means anything and nothing happened.

He never actually killed 2021 with the usual fireworks, so ... no?