Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

The Modern Leper posted:

Was it in last year's thread where I read that Willis quizzes his directors on some technical detail about lenses or something. If they get it right, he'll give them a chance; if not he checks out and doesn't listen to them.

I don't know if that's true, but it seems fitting that his last good performances came from Rian Johnson and Wes Anderson.

I doubt that's a thing he does as a matter of course, but I think that's referring to an incident on the set of Cop Out where Kevin Smith couldn't articulate or didn't know what kind of lens he needed for a shot and Willis decided he was a hack moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I AM GRANDO posted:

Who directs all that redbox trash where Willis shows up for a half-day like Cameron Mitchell and they put him in the middle of the poster? People who shoot trash like that probably have pretty good technical proficiency, as they have to shoot quick with like two takes for every scene.

I wish Cameron Mitchell was still alive to be in all these direct to Netflix/streaming/VOD/Tubi whatever movies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ALFbrot posted:

I doubt that's a thing he does as a matter of course, but I think that's referring to an incident on the set of Cop Out where Kevin Smith couldn't articulate or didn't know what kind of lens he needed for a shot and Willis decided he was a hack moron

Kevin Smith having no idea about lens usage is incredibly on-brand for him. I mean, I guess he never really had to learn since he shot Clerks on 16mm spherical and it was basically "one lens to rule them all."

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Timby posted:

Kevin Smith having no idea about lens usage is incredibly on-brand for him. I mean, I guess he never really had to learn since he shot Clerks on 16mm spherical and it was basically "one lens to rule them all."

Yeah, it's probably something you can get away with if you're only making movies in the Clerks Cinematic Universe, but somebody really should have administered a test before offering him real movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not that important to know. I’ve talked to a few cinematographers, maybe not like big names but all of them said that’s their job not the directors. It helps to know because it allows easier communication, but if your working relationship is good enough you don’t need it.

Basically Willis is a prick and sucks and as much of a hack as Smith is, Bruce Willis was the villain.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This recent explosion of dogshit-tier Bruce Willis movies is absurd but I have to give some special attention to Breach and Cosmis Sin.

Breach has Thomas Jane in it as like a special forces team leader that shows up near the end. Anyway as expected it's an incredibly bad film but Willis does actually seem to be trying a bit. Just a completely awful looking movie for most of its run time too. Recommended if you want to watch crap.

Cosmic Sin is just nuts. Like Frank Grillo is in it for like five minutes? His role is to not be anywhere near the action just floating around in a spacesuit offering advice/saying he's almost there? Plus he gets billing over Bruce Willis!

The soundtrack is like wannabe Vangelis stuff because when you're making a movie that looks and sounds as bad as Cosmic Sin you definitely want to remind the audience of Blade Runner.

Anyway it's worth fastforwarding to the middle/end to see how godawful the alien outfits are. And also how they hosed up and clearly smushed two different scripts together since at first the aliens are like a body snatcher thing but then they're suddenly just huge dudes with blades.

Also worth watching any random ten minutes for how weirdly edited it is like there's more than one point where it feels like stuff is out of order, it's almost incredible.

Oh yeah the plot, I'm sure it's been brought up on the board but Willis plays the infamous BLOOD GENERAL, a name he got because he committed the Cosmic Sin of genociding an entire alien race by using a Q-Bomb, which got him kicked out of the space military and disgraced or whatever but he's popularly respected because hell yeah genocide.

Anyway we learn that a new alien race has been discovered beyond some black hole. So the BLOOD GENERAL is hired as a consultant by the current military guy. Once that's sorted out and he's onboard is advice is "I would suggest you begin preparing another Q-Bomb immediately," wow what a surprise. Anyway there's this big moral dilemma of whether or not it's okay to genocide an entire alien race before even being in any contact with them just in case, it was the "right" thing to do the previous time after all. A lot of talk about how no one respects people that have to make the hard decisions.

But don't worry, toward the end the aliens inform Bruce THE BLOOD GEENRAL Willis that their entire existence and every fiber of their being is dedicated to war and to killing all life, whew!

There's like maybe 25 minutes worth of poo poo going on in this 1h28m movie the rest of it is people just literally standing around with a ton of disembodied dialogue.

The most interesting thing about that is there's just, like, one too many characters? Like I think Willis role was split off into a second character played by someone else to make up for them only having him for a few hours.

Anyway, gently caress those two movies, can't wait to see more.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 11, 2022

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1480532466775564295

jenny's review was pretty good. Casting this guy despite his showing his age was up there with the 28 year old dude in the I love you beth whatever movie

I shot EPK material for that and even I knew that movie was a huge steaming pile despite not knowing anything about it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There was another excellent John Landis joke recently. Maybe in this thread or its predecessor. I really wish I could remember that joke.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 11, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Casimir Radon posted:

There was another excellent John Landis joke recently. Maybe in this thread or its predecessor. I really wish I could remember that joke.

I don't mean to be a helicopter parent but I feel like I should point out that it's in bad taste.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't mean to be a helicopter parent but I feel like I should point out that it's in bad taste.

This kind of joke has to be set up more carefully or it wont quite land.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Did it have to do with max? Cuz he hadn’t really been a thing since cancellation

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grendels Dad posted:

This kind of joke has to be set up more carefully or it wont quite land.

I think it crashed and burned to be honest

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Who directs all that redbox trash where Willis shows up for a half-day like Cameron Mitchell and they put him in the middle of the poster? People who shoot trash like that probably have pretty good technical proficiency, as they have to shoot quick with like two takes for every scene.

https://www.vulture.com/article/randall-emmett-movies.html

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

I thought I recognized that article; Randall Emmett is something loving else all right...

quote:

“The thing around Hollywood that a lot of people say is it’s a surprise Randall hasn’t been killed by Russians or something, knowing the kind of money he deals with,”

---

“the number of people who share that line, like, ‘I’m shocked Randall is still alive,’ you just wouldn’t believe it.”

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 11, 2022

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Batman is weird because at first it looked good but each new trailer and media piece makes me less and less excited
:same:

The Riddler costume is at least strange enough to be interesting, but I feel like they didn't even try with Colin Farrell -- he just seems like "villain who vaguely reminds you of the Penguin".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Where does that drawing of Zodiac come from anyway? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it before.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Casimir Radon posted:

Where does that drawing of Zodiac come from anyway? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it before.

I think it’s a composite from one of his first victims. He ambushed a couple at a lake and the guy survived.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think it’s a composite from one of his first victims. He ambushed a couple at a lake and the guy survived.

Yea that's the only time he was seen wearing that costume. Probably because that was the only murder that took place in the middle of the day.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Jon Watts wrote a treatment for Final Destination 6 and will produce it for HBO Max

quote:

Lori Evans Taylor (Bed Rest) and Guy Busick, who wrote Ready or Not and worked on the upcoming Scream reboot, are now writing the screenplay.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/final-destination-relaunch-hbo-max-spider-man-director-jon-watts-1235072801/

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For a fun reenactment of this incident you can watch David Fincher's Zodiac!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Btw Arthur Leigh Allen was seen in the area of that murder, and interviewed by police at that time as a suspect. This was two years before one of his co-workers called police because he'd been talking about killing people and using the name Zodiac. That's one hell of a coincidence.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Basebf555 posted:

Btw Arthur Leigh Allen was seen in the area of that murder, and interviewed by police at that time as a suspect. This was two years before one of his co-workers called police because he'd been talking about killing people and using the name Zodiac. That's one hell of a coincidence.
Yes, however I believe they later tested his DNA and it was not a match to recovered evidence.

The Zodiac case will probably never be solved at this point, and all of the suspects are dead by now

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Looper and Moonrise Kingdom both came out in 2012 and he’s good in them. They’re the last movies I saw him in though, and that’s now 10 years ago.

Edit: I guess The Cold Light of Day also came out that year. Seems like I was seeing the trailer for that for a year, which sucked because it looked terrible. 4% on RT, a glimpse of what was to come?

It's okay, but it's basically the beginning of Willis' career in "geezer teasers" because he's basically in that movie for 20-30 minutes before getting iced and pre-muscled Henry Cavill going into action hero mode. It's interesting that it has Sigourney Weaver in a villain role, but it's too bad both this and "The Assignment" are both pretty weak examples, because she'd be gold as a villain something better written.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, however I believe they later tested his DNA and it was not a match to recovered evidence.

The Zodiac case will probably never be solved at this point, and all of the suspects are dead by now

It was not a match to DNA recovered from the envelopes of some of the letters, not DNA recovered from any of the actual crime scenes.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

FlamingLiberal posted:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Casimir Radon posted:

Looper and Moonrise Kingdom both came out in 2012 and he’s good in them. They’re the last movies I saw him in though, and that’s now 10 years ago.

Time is not real anymore.... how is Moonrise 10 years old

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bows1 posted:

Time is not real anymore.... how is Moonrise 10 years old

i was about to say his small role in linklater's Fast Food Nation was very good and that was cocking 15 years ago lmao

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Watts has had the craziest career. Makes a modestly scaled movie about a Cop Car, and now he's the Spider-Man guy making billions of dollars

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was telling a friend about Trey Parker and Matt Stone buying Casa Bonita, and he hadn’t seen the episode. So he wanted to know what season it was. I thought it couldn’t have been more than 5 years ago. Turns out was November 2003.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

I was telling a friend about Trey Parker and Matt Stone buying Casa Bonita, and he hadn’t seen the episode. So he wanted to know what season it was. I thought it couldn’t have been more than 5 years ago. Turns out was November 2003.

Yeah, memorable South Park episodes being within the first few years because The Simpsons did it first with their first 9-12.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Shageletic posted:

Watts has had the craziest career. Makes a modestly scaled movie about a Cop Car, and now he's the Spider-Man guy making billions of dollars

That’s the studio MO. Find a director who made an acclaimed indie movie, get them to direct a blockbuster because they don’t have enough clout to push back on the studio’s demands, and then you maybe get a passion project. See also, Colin Trevorrow making a movie out of a YTMND meme and then becoming the new Jurassic Park guy.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

That’s the studio MO. Find a director who made an acclaimed indie movie, get them to direct a blockbuster because they don’t have enough clout to push back on the studio’s demands, and then you maybe get a passion project. See also, Colin Trevorrow making a movie out of a YTMND meme and then becoming the new Jurassic Park guy.

With Trevorrow the passion project is even worse than the blockbuster though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Kind of weird his passion project is a final destination sequel

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The N**** Stole My Bike Cinematic Universe?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Casimir Radon posted:

The N**** Stole My Bike Cinematic Universe?

Safety Not Guaranteed, but he'll I'd watch that too

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought it was funny that Safety Not Guaranteed was obviously based off Treverrow seeing the YTMND meme, but for obvious legal reasons he always went out of his way to emphasize that no, the movie was actually inspired by reading the original newspaper ad, and what's YTMND?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
movie sucked anyway

he should probably make a zero wing movie as is his skill level

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Is the joke his son?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is the joke his son?

Jokes usually have a punchline, Max doesn't get punched enough for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alan Smithee posted:

movie sucked anyway

he should probably make a zero wing movie as is his skill level

I'd be down for more space fighter action movies.