Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Welcome to an attempt to have a mafia-like homage to Phasmophobia! This is very much an experiment and doesn't match up to the actual game. It is meant more of an introduction to the source material than an attempt at a serious setup. Don't expect balance coming into this! Several mechanics are changed from standard mafia, so please read the OP carefully! :siren: Please also note if you have prior experience with Phasmophobia. :siren:

What is Phasmophobia?

Phasmophobia is a ghost hunting game for 1-4 players. You go into haunted houses to try and figure out what kind of ghost you are dealing with. The ghosts may or may not take offense to that...

The game is available on Steam (Early Access).

Basic information

Days will be 48-72 hours in length. Nights will be around 24 hours. These are flexible based on when I want to be up and doing things. While Discussion will still happen during the day, so will the Scum NK. Voting will be during the day but the actual flip will happen at the end of the night.
This is a role madness-ish game is for 16 people.
We’ll be using Discord to manage everything, so please make sure you have access to it for the game. Discord link: https://discord.gg/eK3HJFr4AT
Alignment changes are not part of this game.

Special mechanic: Investigation and Map Movement

Yes, you heard that right! This game will take place on an actual map on which your location will matter. What you can do with this will be decided by what side you are on.

Investigators (aka Scum) can move freely during the day phase, up to and including leaving the house entirely (required to restock on items). It's their job to identify what type of Ghost is haunting any specific room in the house. Investigators need to correctly identify a Ghost to NK them. They target the room rather than the player. The limit of one NK per night still applies but can be "retroactively" applied - if Investigators miss out on a kill they can double kill to "catch up". Investigators carry items to help their investigation and have a Sanity meter (3 Sanity) - having a low Sanity opens them up to a Hunt. Your sanity can be preserved by holding a lit candle or restored with Sanity Pills. An Investigator isn't directly aware of their Sanity, but it can be checked outside of the house for the entire team.

During the Night Phase, an Investigator still in the house can only move 1 room. If there is no light source present, there is a 25% chance to get stuck in the room.

They have the following items available to them (and can carry up to 3 at a time):

Sanity Pills: Resets the Sanity Meter to 3. 4 uses.
Thermo: Lets you determine Freezing Temperatures instantly instead of having to stay in the ghost room for a night. 3 Items.
Photo: Let’s you take photos. Taking a photo of the ghost lets you restock all charges of 1 item. Instantly detects Phantoms if they manifest. 3 Items.
Paramic: Lets you locate specific players. 2 items.
Candle: Requires a Lighter. Holding a lit candle preserves your sanity even if you stand in a dark room. Can be blown out by the Ghosts. Also lets you do an Onryo check. This starts a Hunt if it is an Onryo. Also counts as a light source. 4 Items.
Lighter: Required to light Candles and Smudge Sticks. Light Source. 2 Items.
Smudge Stick: Requires a lighter. Protects you from the ghost during a Hunt. Alternatively, use before a hunt to stop a ghost from hunting for 2 nights. 4 one-use items.
Crucifix: Prevents a hunt if the ghost tried to hunt from the room it was placed in (or if it is still in your hand) 2 items, 2 uses each.
Salt: Instantly detects Wraiths in their ghost room. Requires an UV-Light. 2 items, 3 uses.
EMF Reader: Detects the Evidence EMF 5 if it is a ghost that has said evidence. Usable on item throws. 2 Items.
Spirit Box: Detects the Evidence Spirit Box if it is a ghost that has said evidence. Requires the light to be off. Needs to be used in the room the ghost is in currently (which may not be the ghost room) 2 Items.
Ghost Writing Book: Detects the Evidence Ghost Writing if it is a ghost that has said evidence. 2 Items.
D.O.T.S: Detects the Evidence D.O.T.S. if it is a ghost that has said evidence. Needs to be viewed for a night in order to function, can be done via Video Camera. 2 Items.
Video Camera: Detects the Evidence Ghost Orbs if it is a ghost that has said evidence. Requires the light to be off to spot ghost orbs. Can be placed in a room to have visual coverage without an Investigator present. 6 Items.
Flashlight: Light source. 4 Items.
UV-Light: Detects the Evidence Fingerprints if it is a ghost that has said Evidence and has touched a door or light switch. Also detects Footprints (Wraiths do not have footprints and can be identified that way) 2 Items.
Motion Sensor: Lets you detect if a ghost has roamed from their Ghost Room. Placed at the door between rooms. 4 Items.

---

Ghosts (aka Town) will haunt one specific room in the house and can only leave the room under specific circumstances. It's their job to try and hide their Evidence from the investigators or mislead them in some ways. Most Evidence only gets revealed when they are in the same room as the investigator.

Each Ghost can have any combination of 3 of the following Evidences:

EMF 5
DOTS
Ghost Writing
Ghost Orbs
Fingerprints
Freezing Temperatures

Each night, a ghost must do one of the following:
Throw an Item or blow out a Candle (leaves EMF evidence for 1 night)
Touch a window or door (leaves Fingerprints for 1 night)
Roam to an adjacent room (Can confuse Investigators by giving Evidence in different rooms)
Manifest in a Ghost Event (Lowers Investigator Sanity by 1)
Start a Hunt (requires an investigator with 0 sanity in the room or an adjacent one)

Each one of these (other than the Hunt) requires all others to have been done first before they can be repeated. A Hunt can be triggered if the requirements are met but has a 2-night cooldown. Each ghost has a Strength and a Weakness that may bypass these general rules.

A Hunt is when a Ghost gets angry enough to try and kill an Investigator. In doing so a Ghost will manifest physically during the Night Phase (in most cases) and chase after the Investigator. An Investigator has a chance to run away into an adjacent room. If the ghost follows them into that room, the Investigator gets another chance to run away. However, if the Investigator gets cornered with no way out, the Investigator will die.

Remember: :siren: Claiming or even just hinting at your role as Town will literally get you killed this game! :siren:

---

The Map:

General Mafia Rules (That have been stolen from Natural 20 who stole them from Somberero)

1. Don't be poo poo to each other. This is a game, part of the game is having people react, but if you think you’re reacting badly, walk away, calm down, come back later.
2. If you post fewer than ten times across a game day that comes within 12 hours of finishing with no advance notice (such as RL problems), you will receive a warning. At a second offense, you will be mod killed.
3. Don't edit your posts.
4. Don't talk after you're dead. I'll send you a PM to an Obs doc if you want to chat poo poo.
5. Feel free to post after the hammer/during twilight about non-game stuff.
6. Flavour is flavour, you’re welcome to pursue arguments on it if you want. Additionally whilst I try to retain flavour justification for many abilities, they will not always match expectations.
7. No replacements after D2.
8. Don't directly quote any communication from me, including your role pm. If you have OOT communication with another player, the rule still applies.
9. Don't fake day actions.
10. If you are affected by a Day Action, you may continue posting. You may do your action like normal, even when targeted. Day actions essentially resolve just like night actions whenever possible.

A note about result language

1. A result that successfully targets will yield the result. "You successfully x your target"
2. A result that does not successfully target will yield the result. "Your action fails."
3. If a player name is ever mentioned as part of a result other than those that require it, this is a mod error.
4. A "successful" target is defined as an ability resolving on someone. This does not have to be the intended target, so a redirected result will yield the same language as a result that has not been redirected.
5. Some actions are publicly visible in the thread, some are not. Make sure to check your Role PM!

Lastly:

This is probably going to be a bit unbalanced. In case it wasn't obvious. Be aware of this if you sign up.

Signups:

1. b-minus1
  2. Bifauxnen (surprise me)
  3. CirclMastr
  4. Deadmeat5150
  5. Hal Insandenza (he/him/hal)
  6. hambeet (he/him)
  7. Idle Amalgam
  8. Nep-Nep (She/Her)
  9. ObamaAkbar. (He/him)
  10. Opopanax (He/him/opop)
  11. PlasticAutomaton (He/Him/Whatever)
  12. SalTheBard (He and / or Them)
  13. SolusLunes
  14. STONE COLD 64 (his)
  15. Toalpaz (She/Her & They/Them)
  16. Tobbs Gnawed

Replacements:
[*]Sandwolf (He/Him)

Observers:
Mr. Humalong
Sub Rosa
Jen X
Ignatius M. Meen
Sandicap
Maerlyn

Graveyard:
Tobbs Gnawed (The Jinn) was banished from the Farmhouse by their fellow Ghosts Night 1.
Deadmeat5150 (The Yurei) was exorcised by the Investigators Day 2.
ObamaAkbar. (The Revenant) was exorcised by the Investigators Day 2.
SolusLunes (The Mare) was banished from the Farmhouse by their fellow Ghosts Night 2.
b-minus1 (Investigator 1) was killed during a Hunt Night 2.
PlasticAutomaton (The Goryo) was banished from the Farmhouse by their fellow Ghosts Night 3.
STONE COLD 64 (The Wraith) was exorcised by the Investigators Day 4.
Idle Amalgam (The Poltergeist) was exorcised by the Investigators Day 4.
No Ghost was banished Night 4.
CirclMastr (Investigator 2) was ganged up on by multiple Ghosts Night 5.
Toalpaz (Investigator 4) was ganged up on by multiple Ghosts Night 6.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

:iia: Observer :ghost:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I love messy experiment games

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'll bite.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

:psyduck:

Also I think I'm legally obligated to sign up for this game after the one I ran.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
hell yes

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Again, please state if you have played Phasmo before or know how it plays.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I have played phantasmophobia, or know someone who has played phantasmophobia

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You son of a bitch, I'm in

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh and I have watched Phasmo, but have never played it even though I really want to.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I'm in, never tried phasmo

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Never played it but I know a guy who did

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Never played it but I did just buy it to fulfill my toxx :cheeky:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

technically this isn't unretirement since this isn't technically mafia, i will play and i will actually try

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

not ready to play again, but I gotta observe

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I haven't played Phasmo amd all I know about it comes from watching a friend stream one game of it once

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
I impulse bought the game last night before bed because I've seen Mod playing it on steam lol

Observer please. Still too busy to play unfortunately. (Probably the game I impulse bought too lol I am an idiot. This is my life.)

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Yes I will play! I have like barely any knowledge of the source material beyond very basic things

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I would love to observe this

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Observer please.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Observer slots will only be given out once the game's filled up, just FYI.

Just in case someone gets second thoughts.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Play the game you cowards

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

No

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Double no

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Opopanax posted:

Play the game you cowards

Signed up for a different game and can't commit to 2 at once, sadly, or I would

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Jen X posted:

Signed up for a different game and can't commit to 2 at once, sadly, or I would

It’s like a totally different game though

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Ok

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
I tried playing last night and immediately got terrified lmao.

I'll convert my observer to player.

I gotta decompress from work and life. Let's tell lies or unbelieved truths instead, preferably lies.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Idle Amalgam posted:

I tried playing last night and immediately got terrified lmao.

I'll convert my observer to player.

I gotta decompress from work and life. Let's tell lies or unbelieved truths instead, preferably lies.

Haha, glad to hear it!

If you want to play coop I'm sure we can find a time to play.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Bump

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

IA if you are still playing this game next week when I get home I’d totally do some co-op

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

Hal Insandenza posted:

IA if you are still playing this game next week when I get home I’d totally do some co-op

I'm down for that!

Lol, I was telling Yami that my experience so far has been mentally preparing to do the tutorial and learn about the tools.

I stepped a single foot into the tutorial house and heard a weird noise and pressed alt f4, because it was after midnight and I was in the dark.

I'm going to try again today, in the daytime.

e: I have since mustered up my courage and went back into the house lol, but now I'm just like... "am I an idiot?" speaking into the ghost box "howdy doody? Are you present? are you here? ghosty ghost?", shining purple lights on any everything, placing the camera, running to the van, replacing the camera, running to the van, examining my notes. "This house isn't haunted, open an shut case."

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 5, 2022

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Oh, I thought I signed up for this, but it turns out I actually just went back to sleep when I got the message. Oops.

Sign me up!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Oh and experience wise I have half-watched streamers play the actual game and have learned nothing other than people seem to say names a lot

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Nep-Nep posted:

Oh and experience wise I have half-watched streamers play the actual game and have learned nothing other than people seem to say names a lot

Are you here harold krell? are you angry harold krell? Please say something harold krell??

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

May I play, please?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

sure what the hell I'll play

my phasmophobia experience is "have it in my steam library from a humble bundle, literally never played it or anything otherwise"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Sounds cool. I'll give it a spin

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

I AM THE GHOST OF #XxX_420_DONGLORD69_XxX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3