Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Godholio posted:

That poor bastard. He was a commander years ago, right? He's gotta be in staff hell.

A full bird no doubt

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

lite_sleepr posted:

A full bird no doubt

:synpa:

He was a Major back in the day right? Hell he might be a BGen at this point (!)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Not as a non-pilot, sadly.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Godholio posted:

Not as a non-pilot, sadly.

If anyone was ever gonna get stars without being a rated officer, it’d be Slippery. Consummate professional, intelligent as hell, and very motivated.

Wait, no, this is the USAF and he was an mx Officer. He’ll do 8 years as a fullbird and then retire.

loving Air Force.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I mean, there are non-pilot GOs in the Air Force, just not that many of course. I figured there were probably a few MX GO billets out there, maybe at SAF or Air Staff and some Maintenance Center of Excellence somewhere. Back in the day comm had a few 1, 2 and even 3 star billets. There's probably more now that cyber is a thing.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
The Ogden logistics center is a GO position, plus there’s COCOM J4/5 billets, SAF A4/5 billets, and of course, JCS billets. There are MX GO’s but there’s not a ton of them. You’ll never see that MX badge on a 4 star, though. Maybe 3 star, definitely 2 and 1 star though.

Note: Former MX that go rated don’t count. I knew a one star when I was about 8 years into my career who was MX on the enlisted side and became an officer, and a pilot. He was a huge piece of poo poo, but I’ve seen the unicorns before.

Also: I never once met a prior enlisted officer that was worth a good goddamn in the USAF. The utter loving epitome of FYGM and pulling the ladder up behind themselves. I feel like enlisting should be a bar to commissioning based on my lived experience. But I’m old bitter and jaded.

In fact? Ignore me. And this post.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The Ogden logistics center is a GO position, plus there’s COCOM J4/5 billets, SAF A4/5 billets, and of course, JCS billets. There are MX GO’s but there’s not a ton of them. You’ll never see that MX badge on a 4 star, though. Maybe 3 star, definitely 2 and 1 star though.

Note: Former MX that go rated don’t count. I knew a one star when I was about 8 years into my career who was MX on the enlisted side and became an officer, and a pilot. He was a huge piece of poo poo, but I’ve seen the unicorns before.

Also: I never once met a prior enlisted officer that was worth a good goddamn in the USAF. The utter loving epitome of FYGM and pulling the ladder up behind themselves. I feel like enlisting should be a bar to commissioning based on my lived experience. But I’m old bitter and jaded.

I feel that way about Texas A&M/ Citidel grads. Prior E / Academy can be hit or miss.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There are definitely non-rated GOs. Exceedingly few of them. Someone mentioned OALC...yeah, there are a whopping three ALCs. I suspect those three commanders make up at least 1/3 of the total maintenance officer GOs. ABMs are rated, and there has been precisely ONE to get four stars. She was an O-6 for something like 6 or 8 years. O-6 is often a parking spot for several years of experience-broadening (staffs), even for people destined for stars. It's not like a 2-year pause in the upward climb.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Once you get that first star it’s 2yr promotion gaps for fast burners. It’s zany.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
My old CC was on track for a star. Well either that or burn out magnificently. Last I saw him was as an AOC/CC. But yeah he told me he lost control of his career long ago, basically at the whim of GOs above him to pave his career. Wonder where he landed now 🤔

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Oh yeah, A4/J4 billets make sense for mx.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I choose not to! Take that.

All anecdotal of course but I attended OTS so knew plenty of prior enlisted folks from there, and met a few in my time in. I would call it an even mix, and I knew several who were top notch officers. YMMV.

I actually had a conversation with a retired Navy colleague of mine who was a Navy mustang; the difference in cultural handling of prior enlisted officers is interesting. (e.g. Navy Limited Duty Officers, vs basically nothing on the AF side)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AFStealth posted:

My old CC was on track for a star. Well either that or burn out magnificently. Last I saw him was as an AOC/CC. But yeah he told me he lost control of his career long ago, basically at the whim of GOs above him to pave his career. Wonder where he landed now 🤔

My boss at the CAOC is now the AFCENT commander. He and two other former bosses ended up climbing through wing commander after I left, and are all still on the move. It's crazy to see...mostly good, though.

Edit: My experience with prior-Es is the same. Some of the best and some of the worst.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Yeah, I'll throw in with the lived experience of a SNCO who's actually still in the USAF, and the prior enlisted Os have almost always been better than USAFA sociopaths and usually better than the ROTC/OTS cats.

I can count on one hand the number of USAFA grads who wouldn't let me die for a good OPR strat. The prior E officers at least gave a poo poo if we lived or died, and had some empathy because they'd already been in our shoes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I knew a couple of "here, let me just pull that ladder up out of your way" priors.

The best academy grad is the one who never lets on that he's an academy grad.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I'm a bit late to reply, but this is some wholesome news that came out of nowhere. I've always hated going to the states mentioned (FL/TX) for TDYs, or driving through them, or dealing with folks from there (with some exceptions). The people in or from them tend to love huffing their own propaganda farts about how great their state is. As an aside, I've noticed that the more proud a person is of the state they come from, the more likely that state is actually a shithole.
Good luck relying on EFMP to get you the gently caress out of a bad situation though if you really need it. That process is ssllooww. Going through the EFMP process ultimately screwed me out of $2K because it couldn't address a dependent emergency fast enough, so I have a bitter feeling about it.

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 17, 2022

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Sacrist65 posted:

I feel that way about Texas A&M/ Citidel grads. Prior E / Academy can be hit or miss.

Especially prior E. They're either the coolest officers or absolute douche nozzles. There is no in between.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
The western states are pretty awesome until you cross the rockies and then it's just straight fuckin trash until you hit the eastern seaboard.

Florida has its moments but it gets overshadowed by the crazy poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Everything between Denver and the Mississippi is hot garbage.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Godholio posted:

How dare you besmirch the good name of states like Iowa, famous for, uhhh, for having the world's largest truck stop??

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Pretty much. My only memories of driving home from FE Warren AFB through Denver across the vast nothingness of Kansas and Missouri was how bleak it all was.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Speaking of bases, I’m out at Vandenberg this week and it seems pretty chill. I don’t know if that would be true of an assignment but, I’d have gone for it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hannibal posted:

Speaking of bases, I’m out at Vandenberg this week and it seems pretty chill. I don’t know if that would be true of an assignment but, I’d have gone for it.

I really enjoyed TDY'ing to Edwards AFB, wish I could've stayed. Its weird too because its out on the edge of Death Valley but its a pretty quick drive from there to LA.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I hear the BAH is too low for those areas, not sure how true that is.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I hear the BAH is too low for those ALL areas, not sure how true that is.

Have you ever seen the formula for BAH? It's loving zany.

https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/perdiem/BAH-Primer.pdf

You don't get a single family home in the eyes of the all-knowing DoD until W-3 w/ dependents...

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
You don't get to live as well as others because of the rigid caste system.

How dare you try to live above your station?

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The cheat code is to do married mil-to-mil, so you get double BAH. This apparently results in a hugeass house and plenty of $$$ left over, and folks doing this tend to like to flaunt it via USAF-approved parties hosted at their house, but I digress. Meanwhile, us divorced folks at the same rank are barely scraping by. Honestly, is it fair that mil-to-mil folks make so much more money than mil folks married to civilians?

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 29, 2022

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Honestly, is it fair that mil-to-mil folks make so much more money than mil folks married to civilians?

If you have children yes, if you are dual income no kids, not as much.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

djfooboo posted:

Have you ever seen the formula for BAH? It's loving zany.

https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/perdiem/BAH-Primer.pdf

You don't get a single family home in the eyes of the all-knowing DoD until W-3 w/ dependents...

i approve of the DOD's recognition that SFH zoning is unsustainable in much of modern america (and, hell, has been for decades now) :hmmyes:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
2nd term and career airman BOP is gone.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

lite_sleepr posted:

2nd term and career airman BOP is gone.

That program was like the open air prison in " The Dark Knight Rises". Nobody should have the false hope of a good assignment.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Oh, we see you're open to an assignment!

How does Kunsan sound?

Great! You leave in 8 months.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Godholio posted:

Omaha is legit okay.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

antimatt posted:

Omaha is legit okay.

It is, but thats further north. And once you leave it, its also pretty barren. Nebraska State Highways are some of the worst I've ever driven on.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

antimatt posted:

Omaha is legit okay.

I'll agree with that. They had a cool bar and a candy store that sells candy cigarettes.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

CommieGIR posted:

It is, but thats further north. And once you leave it, its also pretty barren. Nebraska State Highways are some of the worst I've ever driven on.

It's still between Denver and the Mississippi, but I get it. Your other points are wholly valid.

Godholio posted:

I'll agree with that. They had a cool bar and a candy store that sells candy cigarettes.

As long as that cool bar wasn't The Hive then I think we're okay. Harney Street Tavern was my spot. And I'm sure that anyone who has spent time in downtown Omaha knows exactly which candy store you're talking about.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

antimatt posted:

It's still between Denver and the Mississippi, but I get it. Your other points are wholly valid.

As long as that cool bar wasn't The Hive then I think we're okay. Harney Street Tavern was my spot. And I'm sure that anyone who has spent time in downtown Omaha knows exactly which candy store you're talking about.

I loved that Omaha has this near the highway

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

CommieGIR posted:

I loved that Omaha has this near the highway

Union Pacific 4023, a Big Boy. Super cool to see and a very interesting piece of engineering and technology. I suggest anyone in the area go and check it out. One of the most powerful steam locomotives ever produced.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

antimatt posted:

Union Pacific 4023, a Big Boy. Super cool to see and a very interesting piece of engineering and technology. I suggest anyone in the area go and check it out. One of the most powerful steam locomotives ever produced.

Cheyenne also has 2(?) I believe, one in a park and one that Union Pacific restored and run on a route to Colorado every now and again.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

antimatt posted:

Those names don't ring a bell. I bought a growler, but I'm a couple time zones away from being able to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

Oh, we see you're open to an assignment!

How does Kunsan sound?

Great! You leave in 8 months.

I would take Kunsan in a heartbeat over almost any CONUS base. Kunsan is my kind of bullshit.