Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Coming up on 13 years, at least 7 to go in the guard. They wouldn’t deploy a bunch of fat guard engineers to fight Russia, right?

…Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I’m an O-3E guard civil engineer at 14 years TIS, and I’d say this is the best way to do the Air Force, outside of a C-17 pilot. CGO’s don’t do a whole lot at drill, our AT is usually two weeks to go build something, and I’m good through 23-24 years TIS for promotions, where I’ll have to decide if I want to go for O-5 or bail. We get some cool TDY opportunities as well, like the 2 months I did at Bellows AB in Hawaii.

Plus, I get to grow a beard and forget about the Air Force for a month or two at a time. I’ll definitely keep riding this train until 20 years at least.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

nullscan posted:

Haha, what did you do in Bellows? Redesign the putt putt course?

Nothing that important. Just managed a few AT rotations building a bunk house for future guard units to sleep in. It was a joke of a project, but I got paid good money to live in one of those cabins on the beach for two months.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Hell, we’ve got to be getting close to having goons who asked questions about joining in the original A/T thread getting ready to retire, right? I think I was asking questions about it when GiP was first created, and I’m closing in on 15 years already.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Wait, going from guard/reserve to active duty?

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Gotcha. I’m doing a temp AGR thing now, backfilling for my commander while he and a good chunk of the squadron are deployed. It’s a fun gig that I might consider if I didn’t live 2 hours from my guard base.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I hate to do it, but I’ve got to give fighter pilots some credit, that’s an insane job. I had an incentive flight in a Viper today, and holy poo poo I cannot imagine doing that day in and day out.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
At least 5 more years, but being a guard O is kinda fun and I don’t mind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
My guard base, despite being a fully independent ANG base, never plays the flag music. It's been years since I've heard it, and if I'm ever on an AD base I'm going to be that idiot that gets called out for not knowing what to do.