Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I've had multiple snow days since I took this contract job with the army. Didn't even go in one week, it's been nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I think most people got out. I was for a while still working on an air force base but now I can't even say that. As it would turn out, contracting for the army is no different from contracting for the air force

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Reumetointerviews is what it was, but I think the goon who ran it sold and now it's run by someone else. I've used it but it wasn't a super quick process

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Hope my buddy made it, he got hosed out of a special assignment to Colorado not too long ago so we'll see if the air force screws him again

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Sacrist65 posted:

:nws: :nws:

Can this go in the coffee table book reprint?

It could I guess. There was some content posted in the forums a while back from some alternate account of someone who got banned, but I grabbed a lot of it and slapped together a third edition. I'm in no position to get another print going right now since I'm in the middle of moving. A few months down the road I could probably get one going

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Enjoy the freedom from work, and the freedom from alcohol.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Last November would have put me with 7 years left. If I had a different job, I might have stuck it out. If I didn't have to rate on people, I might have stuck it out. If I got to choose where I lived, I might have stuck it out. I really couldn't see myself doing any more time at all and still feel the same

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I did my exact same job as a contractor and I got treated better when I was AD. Not to say I would go back but the civilian life can be a dickpunch sometimes

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It's worth noting that the air force isn't the only branch that flies jets. The navy also has tons of jets, and my community college buddy flies F18s for the marines. He may have better odds trying this in another branch

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
One of my coworkers is also ex AF and he told me his recruiter had told him there were no four year contracts, only six (we were PMEL). Another guy in my flight had said his recruiter had told him that enlisting with a degree was the fastest way to be an officer. The TI told him his recruiter was a liar.

I've never heard of any backlash for selling kids on lies like that, I imagine it's the same for every branch

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Up until a few months ago I still had some air force issued cold weather gear but I donated it to Ukraine. Pretty sure that was the last stuff I had

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Jimmy Smuts posted:

How did you donate it? I got a bunch of old gear I can't use anymore that's just eating up space.

I just kinda shipped it all to the address posted at the bottom of this page and hoped it would go to the right place. They have an Amazon wishlist set up and everything ordered off that goes to that address and I figured my stuff would just get lumped in. They didn't send it back so either it got thrown away or shipped off to someone who needs it more than me. I had never used my stuff either, I think my APECS pants were still in the plastic wrap.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Is that address still current/legit?

Looks like it, it's a Ukrainian restaurant in New York, I don't think they've gone anywhere

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Two guys I was in tech school with are on the list, both deserving so that’s good to see. Only 14 years in too.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I'm blown away at the BAH rate in Mountain Home, it's higher than Fort Collins and Minneapolis. That's great if you live in Idaho but seems to suck elsewhere.

I should tell my buddy at FE Warren to stop loving around and make E6 this year, dude's missing out on over $400 a month in BAH just for that

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
The whole having no bills outside maybe a phone and internet thing was nice. The pay wasn't great but you could save as much as you wanted.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It’s something else every few years. Was it 2014 they almost couldn’t pay everyone and furloughed the government side? Surely they’ll be better prepared in the future

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Adventure isn't a given, you could be stuck at some crappy base for a few years before you go anywhere cool. You may never go anywhere cool but that's probably more of an enlisted thing than an officer thing.

As far as benefits go what exactly are you looking for? Unless you do a full 20 or get disability there's no payout at the end and I don't think you'd qualify for the GI bill either. Or do you just want the free military funeral?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
No you're right, I didn't read into a quick description deep enough. So yeah, full GI bill after 3 years of service

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
lol if you're still in? Pretty sure I've been out long enough that anyone I knew either promoted to E5 already or got out

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I can tell you about Biloxi, only three hours of driving away. Great place for gambling if you’re into that.

Doing a quick google map search in Montgomery my food choices would be D’Road Cafe which seems to be Venezuelan and Island Delight at Dexter which looks to be Jamaican. Maybe give Dreamland BBQ a shot

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Biloxi in the summer is also not fun. As I would learn later, there were places like Qatar that were even less fun in the summer. Did get to eat some cow brain in Doha, couldn't tell you where we were though

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I tried an edible a few weeks ago and I just wasn't a fan. All this hype about how great weed is and it just isn't for me.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I didn't feel paranoid, I felt more like my mind was trying to make sense of things using old memories. The same thing happened when I smoked spice in tech school. In this instance I was watching Howl's Moving Castle with the girlfriend and all I could think was how weird this Disney movie was or where was Jake and Finn cause this was clearly an episode of Adventure Time.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Of course it’s better than booze, that’s just poison.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
PMEL could be its own squadron, might as well be with how they’re treated. My old squadron was dissolved and they got moved into munitions for reasons. Other bases they were still CMS and depots were LRS. We never fit in anywhere.

Although maybe they should have kept more active duty labs around too cause lol at the idea of staffing the contract/civil service labs with former active duty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
If I had never left I’d still have over five years left. Feels like a lifetime ago