Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Godholio posted:

Not as a non-pilot, sadly.

If anyone was ever gonna get stars without being a rated officer, it’d be Slippery. Consummate professional, intelligent as hell, and very motivated.

Wait, no, this is the USAF and he was an mx Officer. He’ll do 8 years as a fullbird and then retire.

loving Air Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
The Ogden logistics center is a GO position, plus there’s COCOM J4/5 billets, SAF A4/5 billets, and of course, JCS billets. There are MX GO’s but there’s not a ton of them. You’ll never see that MX badge on a 4 star, though. Maybe 3 star, definitely 2 and 1 star though.

Note: Former MX that go rated don’t count. I knew a one star when I was about 8 years into my career who was MX on the enlisted side and became an officer, and a pilot. He was a huge piece of poo poo, but I’ve seen the unicorns before.

Also: I never once met a prior enlisted officer that was worth a good goddamn in the USAF. The utter loving epitome of FYGM and pulling the ladder up behind themselves. I feel like enlisting should be a bar to commissioning based on my lived experience. But I’m old bitter and jaded.

In fact? Ignore me. And this post.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
That’s so loving cool.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Knives Amilli posted:

any patches in here? Is WIC worth it? I just pinned on captain and am thinking of trying to in the next few years

What’s your airframe, or are you in a non rated field like Intel or Cyber?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Knives Amilli posted:

im a cyber boi

Go get a security CCNP and then CCIE, and make a fuckload more money with less bullshit in the private sector than being a Cyber officer.

Real talk.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Unless you are wanting that sweet CW read-on, which is cool, but you are still gonna make less with any USAF path.

It’s an undeniably cooler track than I’m making it out to be. In fact, given the choice I’d take WIC, but I’m a HUGE AirPower nerd, and loved operational level assignments over staff jobs every day of the week.

What do you already know about WIC, Patches, and your future goals? I can probably better help you knowing that.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 7, 2022

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Knives Amilli posted:

Well for starters im a ANG guy and I work in private sector already. I asked the Active Duty thread this question

And one of the biggest reasons Im considering AGR is, I wanna get a patch and Drilll Status guardsmen cant really go to WIC unless they have a SHITTON of ops experience.

1.What I know about WIC is that its a hard school and marriage killer.

2. Patches are supposed to be THE SME for your ops community and weapon platform is all about helping Sq. scale out your capabilities and keeping the squadron tactically proficient by teaching and putting a huge emphasis on the PBED process to accomplish these tasks. Im too junior to have worked with any of the Patches in GP but most of them have kinda been raging dickholes who while smart and capable can also at times be pretentious and condescending.

3. My future goals are kinda nebulous but I feel being a patch helps me get in a position where things like command are a better option. But i also love teaching and want to give more value to Sq in a authorative SME role

It was (A long time ago, when I was still in) a tenant that good Weapons Officers would be A) SME’s B) Master Trainers and C) Humble approachable officers.

C) was usually a coin flip, but looks like you already know this. If WIC kills your marriage, you didn’t have a marriage, you had a dumbass relationship that was built on a house of cards built on shifting sand.

It’s not hard, it’s memorization, integration, and application. If you can handle an information fire hose, you’ll be fine.

I never did any time in the ANG, so I’m really not the best guy for career advice there, but I know command, especially non rated, is loving hard to come by in a lot of ANG wings. If that’s an eventual goal, WIC won’t hurt at all based on what I’ve seen. I can’t definitively say if it helps, because again: never was a guardsman.

You interested in how your career field makes tangible impacts and effects on enemies? You big on AirPower? If yes, go WIC, if not, don’t.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Dominoes posted:

I put in my sep paperwork today. It's been fun, but I need a sabbatical from work.

You still overseas?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Sacrist65 posted:

For the people who ETS'd. Do you ever regret not sticking it out, even though you would likely have been be retired by now?

I regret getting retired. It’s better than Active Duty in absolute terms (Money and health insurance for life for no further military service) but in practical terms I’ve lost a lot of drive and ambition since retiring.

It took a long time, basically until the wife and I started trying to have a kid, before I found any kind of worthwhile direction instead of just doing things to be doing them.

I’m torn on the issue. I truly loved serving in the USAF but it was probably for the best getting retired. I know my family is happier even if I’m not.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Rekinom posted:

When I got out of AD, it was glorious and I didn't regret it for a second.

There's something about staying in the military past 30 that really changes people, I think. Like if you get out when you're relatively young, the military is just yet another chapter of your life. Your brain has the neuroplasticity to adapt back to a different way of life. You've spent the majority of your life as a civilian, and so you're just returning to normal, right?

But once you've stayed in past a certain point, it's like the point of no return. It's not just a chapter of your life, it IS your life. You carry it like a turtle carries its shell on its back. Like if you become a lawyer, you're a military guy-turned-lawyer, not just a lawyer who had a stint in the military.

Idk, I just think if you ever want to mentally separate yourself from this stuff for the rest of your life, you have to get out by 30, 35 tops.

Crab dad literally joined at 35 I think

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
There are specific vehicles and equipment designated for the nuclear mission. There was fuckery in the mx and paper trails in that department, bye bye LRS/CC, and
Shirt. MSG/CC and Group Sup are gone too.

loving amazing it happened, because I mean… gently caress. You know all of that is zero error zero fail kinda poo poo. But uh, yeah.

This is what I was told from the ancient order of AFI 69-420 veterans on FB.

90% chance of being fud. But hey, why not.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Easier to become a dependa as a man by giving up that bussy, it’s harder to catch those straight female service members as a fat dependa when they’re swimming in a sea of barely restrained dicks that can pass a PT test.. ya know.. as a way of life.

Being a sloppy bear dependa? Easy and doable.

Being an Adonis with mobile job skills and being a dependa? Hard, and next to impossible.

Everything in between is just variations on the themes of service members and vets interbreeding.

My dependa used those dependa benefits when I was in to get a great career going so my money I earn is kind of like Monopoly money. I have the financial restraint of an 8 year old because daddy war bucks will make baby shimmy whole on the first of the month lol and I’m not allowed to touch anything other than my retirement checks :lol:.

Dependa’ing my dependa.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
What rank is releasing now? SMSgt? I know Chief was in July uncle upon a time I think I remember?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
The loving E-7 pay difference, and the three years you’d owe them to make it even apply just don’t math up in my mind.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Godholio posted:

Holy poo poo an A1C makes more than I did as a 2Lt.

Dude, I was looking at what E-7’s in decent COLA’s make and realized we overpay the gently caress out of the military.

This goes doubly so for officers, but gently caress there are a lot more enlisted and they’re EXPENSIVE.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Lowest I ever got paid was $930 a month before taxes for like my first… 6-8 months of service? It was E-1 pay, and it was a travesty.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I don’t even know what the gently caress I spent my pay back then on. Like, I wasn’t a drinker, didn’t smoke, rarely left base, and I couldn’t tell you where one drat red cent of my E-1 money went. I didn’t have a cellphone as they weren’t cheap and ubiquitous yet, so I’m at a loving loss.

Was dialup internet more expensive than I remember it being?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Thinking back on it.. I was in Tech School for 8 months, starting in October.

My money went to flying my girlfriend to Texas on Valentine’s Day, Holiday Time airfare, and a daily sandwich and bag of chips from the Commissary after PT.

That’s kind of insane when I think about it.

I know E-1’s get paid a gently caress load more than I did, but I bet they’re just as broke as we were what with inflation and all.

I wonder if the gently caress gently caress Junior enlisted games still exist. Some things are older than time, ya know.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Are Thule assignments still 365 days?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
So a B-1 crashed at an Airshow in Michigan? I just saw a video of the crew punching out.

I’ll be honest, I was personally surprised to find out bombers have ejection seats decades ago. I guess since none of our other big rear end planes have ejection seats I just made a mental correlation that big rear end plane = Go With God.

Anyone got any rumint on what went down?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

It was.

Where did you hear this? The last loss I found of a B-1 was back in 2013, and the last major incident was an engine blowout on the tarmac in 2022 at Dyess AFB.

It was a (god forgive me) a Tik Tok video which explains why I can’t find anything about it as I guess it was a fake.

:sigh:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
You’d be amazed all the things you can know even when the list of things you don’t know includes some basic poo poo.

It’s the entire premise of the intelligence community.

For example, when I graduated Intel School I didn’t know bombers had ejection seats. That came later. But like, the school had taught me the basic concepts of bomber mission planning, and how to do a notional bomber mission pre-brief for the aircrew. It did not teach me that those guys got ejection seats, and it literally never came up for me again until years later when there was a bomber punch out.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 16, 2023

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
So proud of you men

:3:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Smoking weed seems so awesome, I'm jelly. I kinda wish I didn't focus so much on developing my AFSC job skills so hard in my career, thus pigeonholing myself into the govvie or contractor clearance world for life since this is all I know. I should've focused on getting a degree instead so that I can get a job that doesn't give a poo poo about weed use when I retire out, oh well. Don't be like me, stay in school kids!

You’re not really missing out on anything.

I’d rather have a clearance than wake and bake, but I say that after having a decade of heavy marijuana use after retiring.

Sooner than you’d think it’ll be legal and hassle free. You’re on the right path, trust me man.

It’s fun but not more interesting or fruitful than what you’re doing.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Hotel Kpro posted:

Of course it’s better than booze, that’s just poison.

This.

Alcohol isn’t a mild intoxicant, it’s an addictive poison.

As with ANYTHING, moderation and self control is key.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Hearing AFSOC/CC was fired, and the root cause involves cannon AFB.

Any other scuttle butt?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
It’s been a long goddamn time since I pondered on the operational and administrative levels of command combatant commanders have over component commanders (Who report to CSAF versus COCOM CC’s reporting to SECDEF/POTUS)

Does USSOCOM/CC have that kind of administrative authority? I always was under the impression that their authorities were more operational than administrative in regards to hire/fire.

Obviously you always lose a game of rock paper stars if your an officer, but if your an Alcoholic PTSD adled unmedicated bipolar Staff Sergeant you can play all kiiiiinds of gently caress gently caress games with the star types. Mostly because you literally don’t care if you live, die, demote, or promote.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Winterfresh posted:

AFSOC/CC is dual-hatted as AF component of SOCOM and MAJCOM. CDRUSSOCOM can absolutely fire one of his component commanders.

And ACC? Can a Combatant Commander poo poo can ACC/CC? They provide a gently caress load of AirPower for combatant commanders.. is this where it gets weird with adcon and opcon?

Also, just as a matter of courtesy surely SOCOM/CC went to the CSAF if not before then immediately afterwards… right?

I’m genuinely curious.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
So I guess it’s the same for TRANSCOM and AMC units?

I worked at HQ AMC and TRANSCOM and never really got the impression that TRANSCOM was making a lot of administrative decisions re: AMC commanders.

However this was back around when I made E-6 and started drinking so bad I almost ruined my life. So it could have been a thing and I just never knew.

When I started at TRANSCOM the TRANSCOM commander absolutely decided who were the NAF and MAJCOM and FOA commanders because TRANSCOM was still dual hatted with AMC back then. At some point after I started drinking they just made it its own legit separate 4 star command, with AMC having its own 4 star commander.

But doesn’t USSTRATCOM own some of AMC just like TRANSCOM does? It’s been a long time since I was in, so I could be way off.

Thank you for clarifying WF!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Natty Ninefingers posted:

reading this makes me hungry for soup.

I hate myself for knowing the acronyms.