Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Happy New Year all! This thread is to post your financial and personal goals for 2022 to track through the year. Personally I've found having goals and updating this thread through the last few years has made me much more accountable at saving and investing correctly before spending/gambling my discretionary income.

Tips for a successful financial year
  • Make a budget to help plan your incomings and outgoings
  • Make S.M.A.R.T. goals - Ensure that your goals at the start of the year are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time Oriented. This will help you keep track and not fail vague or unattainable targets
  • Bragging/flexing in this thread is fine, but only if you've been making the goals you set at the start of the year!
  • Small goals are cool and good, setting and completing small wins if you have a lower income/net worth is the best way to increase it! Many goons who are posting guillotine levels of wealth started years ago thousands of dollars/pounds in debt. Making and achieving their goals over the course of years has helped put them where they are today so don't be shy to :justpost: if you haven't participated in this thread before!
Previous Threads
Incremental Improvements Thread for small win inspiration

Doccykins' 2021 Summary

Doccykins posted:

End of Year 2021

- Zero consumer debt :toot:
- Pension Pot increased from £87k to £105k :toot:
- ISA increased from £8k to £13k :toot:
- Short Term Savings increased from £0 to £2400 :toot:
- NW increased from £117k to £141k :toot:

- Bought all new furnishings except for Office Chair (because I can't find one that's better than my current falling apart one)
- Pay rise of 10% in March :toot:
- Took one week in the UK in August for partner's birthday, both fully vaccinated and boosted so just going to wait out omicron
- Kinda did this, fell back at some point but good to repeat for 2022

Zoopla puts the house at having increased in value by 11% in a year (only our purchase price minus outstanding mortgage was taken into account for NW figures.) I am astounded. :rip: anyone not already on the housing ladder in the UK.

But a good year! Bring on 2022!

Financial Goals for 2022

- Increase Pension Pot from £105k to £130k
- Increase ISA from £13k to £18k
- Increase Short Term Savings from £2400 to £5000 (if not cleaned out with personal goal)
- Increase Net Worth from £141k to £170k
- Remortgage in December at end of 2 year fix, probably to a 5 year fix

Personal Goals for 2022

- Mount Bedroom TV and Bathroom Mirror
- Redecorate curtains and blinds for Kitchen | Living Room | Front Bedroom | Back Bedroom | Office
- Redecorate living room floor
- Buy new Office Chair (rolled over from 2021)
- Buy new Fridge/Freezer | Washing Machine for kitchen (this is more of a stretch goal as the current ones work but aren't particularly good)
- Buy new (used) car with Short Term Savings in Q3 or Q4
- Run and/or cycle at least twice a week
- Take a two week holiday in Q2 or Q3 and delete my work email app from my phone - this worked really well for the Christmas/New Year period to decompress (though I'm not logging in until tomorrow to see what kind of a disaster my inbox is)
- Take one hour a day off screen at lunch when working

Happy Goal Setting/Completing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garrettdonohue
Jan 18, 2010
I’m 37, recently separated. I believe the biggest reason for this is my wife (until otherwise) thinks I am too impulsive with money. While I absolutely could be better, I still believe I have established a nice foundation and there is no reason I can’t achieve big things.

About 8 years ago, I moved from CO to HI to make more money - it would have taken me into my 40s to pay off my debts had I stayed in Denver. About 3.5 years ago, I moved to the Bay Area to, again, make more money - I was out of debt now but would love to retire early. I don’t really care about luxury and I just want to become FIRE asap.

I have ~20k liquid, ~330k in retirement with 2 modest pensions, and zero debt. I have purchased everything small that I could ever want (golf clubs of my dreams, every video game and electronic imaginable, all the nice kitchen things, more nice clothes than I’ll ever be able to wear) and have a fairly nice car that is paid off - but it all feels cheap when people view you as being bad with money. I don’t have any property, and this is my biggest source of shame. I have been waiting for a better market that just never seems to come. Plus I keep living in the most expensive parts of the country, which doesn’t help any.

I graduated college in 2008, just as the world was melting down, and I consider myself fortunate to have been given the opportunities that I’ve had. But I look back and think to myself just how easily I could have been a multimillionaire at this point (drat I wish that I was in a financial position to have bought a house 2008-2010, shoulda bought apple or Bitcoin or Netflix or ect ect)…. But as a RN I see death frequently and have to remind myself that every day is a miracle and that NOTHING is guaranteed.

But yeah, I am ready to really kick things into overdrive financially. I don’t want people to look at me any more and think to themselves that I don’t have my poo poo together.

My goal over 2022 is to not buy ANY more non-essential clothing, 2k video game budget (gotta have my elden ring and Zelda), and I want to invest 50%. By the end of 2023, I want to have financed SOMETHING. I am going to sell off everything that doesn’t bring me joy (thanks Marie Kondo) and will look to keep developing my eBay side hustle.

I am totally open to advice, constructive criticism, whatever. I am not a finished product and am always looking to improve. I am also not scared to lose a percentage of my investing money in high risk ventures. Scared money don’t make none - so if you see something that has awesome growth potential let me know. Let’s get rich together, goons.

garrettdonohue fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 3, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you should make your own thread tbh

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

This year my goals are pretty simple and more centered around making sure I actually use the money for something fun rather than just hoarding treasure like a moronic dragon

Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50%
Buy new furniture, spend more than $2K and less than $5K
Figure out how to open a 529 for an eventual future child

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done.
Exercise 150x over the course of the year.
Ski/snowshoe 10 days or more
go on a nice vacation with wife

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

This is a useful thread! I am excited to organize my thoughts.

My goals center around figuring out what goals I want to set. Over the the last three years, I've finally been in a spot where I could live by myself, contribute to retirement savings, AND slowly build up excess funds. However, each of the last two years has had an unexpected emergency that wiped out most of the accrued funds each year. So at this point, I'm gunshy about doing anything with the excess funds because I like the security of having that much liquidity. My gross excess funds the last two years were about $12k annually. My income has gone up a bit, but now rents are skyrocketing because COVID protections have ceased.

Financial Goals for 2022
  • Increase savings account by $100 per month.
  • Further research homebuying process and if it's right for me.
  • Review retirement packages and see if I can increase my contributions.
Personal Goals for 2022
  • Every work day: Take a walk for my work lunch breaks.
  • Every month: Lose 2 pounds until I reach my target goal.
  • Every month: Once target goal weight achieved, start putting on muscle.
  • Five times per week: Do targeted stretches and exercises that target my problem areas.
  • Twice per week: Run.
  • Thrice per week: Light Weights
  • Twice per week: Read at least 1 hour of non-work related materials.
  • Lifestyle: Spend less of my non-work time at my desk
  • Figure out what I want from life.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
2022 Financial Goals
-Max out 2022 traditional 457b: $1,721.25/$20,500
-Max out 2022 Roth IRA: $500/$6,000
-Finish maxing out 2021 Roth IRA: $4,662/$6,000
-Retirement saving rate of over 30% annual gross income (not counting pension payments): 50% (1 month average)
-Determine how I will need to prepare for a possible early retirement.

Personal Goals
-If and when COVID allows, schedule long deferred medical appointments (general checkup, dental, vision, psychiatric).
-Make at least two trips to visit distant family and friends.
-Get a nice food processor and a stand-up mixer.
-As COVID allows, eat a nice meal in LA quarterly.
-As COVID allows, play at least 1 OTB chess tournament.
-Take an online course dedicated to the London for white and the Caro-Kann for black. Figure out my responses to 1.d4 as black.
-Get my rapid rating above 1300 on Chess.com

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Current State
- My student loans: 170k, currently 0% interest, no payments until May.
- Mortgage on 30 year fixed at 2.875%

Financial Goals for 2022:
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: Done
- Max out wife's Mega Backdoor Roth.
- Max my 401k when I become eligible this summer.
- Put in 11k/month in to taxable.
- Put in 3k/month in to savings.
- Start a 529 plan for Baby Evil. :toot:
- Increase net worth to the next million.
- Stretch: Increase net worth to next 500k.
- Look in to refinancing student loans after 0%/forbearance ends in May.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Financial goals:

- Max out Roth IRA (done)
- Max out wife Roth IRA (done)
- Max out 457 (on autopilot)
- Possible: Get a new job in tech

Usually, I'd want to also max my 403b, but I'm taking the spring semester off as parental leave, which will be unpaid, so I don't think I will have enough income to max it out.

The biggest thing is getting a data science job in tech. I've been in academia for 9 years now (14 if you include grad school), and things have been feeling very same-y. I want to do something new and data science seems interesting. With remote work now becoming more normalized, this would seems like a great time to transition. I've been thinking about this for a while, but with tenure coming up, it's kind of a poo poo or get off the pot moment. We'll see if I gather the courage to pull the trigger.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Happy New Year! Current Status as of January 1, 2022.

Assets

Total Cash = $57,448

Total Investments = $105,191

Total Property = $535,200

Total Retirement = $178,424

Total Assets = $876,263

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $5,267

Total Other = $584 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $256,976

Total Liabilities = $262,827

Net Worth = $613,636

Still mulling over my goals for 2022. My retirement is on auto-pilot (maxed out both Roth IRA's, 9% into 401k, maxed out TA space in 529's and HSA).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Financial Goals
$800/month deferred compensation into 457b (Vanguard Institutional S&P 500 fund, ER 0.02%) (autopilot)
Max out Roth IRA, stash in broad indexes (in progress)
Max out I bonds done!

Personal Goals
Switch to cold showers (4 for 4 so far)
Lose 15 lbs (from 190 to 175) via the following sub-goals:
-Portion control;
-Daily workout after dinner, even if it's just walking a couple miles outside;
-Replacing cookies and chips with fruits and vegetables in my diet
Publish a story/poem (annual goal going back a ways, haven't missed it yet)
Use at least one week of leave every two months (I have a LOT built up)
Reconnect with friends I let drift during covid, one message/call per week

Reading everyone else's goals and writing out my own is motivating, thank you!

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 5, 2022

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Current State
- My student loans: $185k at 0%, eligible for PSLF 5/2022, on payment pause until then so should be able to apply after May's payment is sent
- Her student loans: $150k at 0%, eligible for PSLF 6/2023, payments on pause
- Mortgage: 15 yr fixed at 2.25%

Financial Goals
- Max backdoor Roth IRAs for me/spouse Done
- Max my/spouse's 403b/457b on autopilot, contributions upped for the year
- Put in 2-3k/month in to taxable Probably will drop to $2k when her loan payments restart
- $1k/mo to each of our two kids 529s on autopilot
- Goal: Increase net worth by $500k :guillotine: Would also be counting on my student loans being wiped for this to happen
- Goal: Start a small endowment for the training program I direct, or not if I jump ship

Personal Goals
- Work out 5 days a week when not on service
- Get stuff together for academic promotion application in July, may defer if a good job opportunity comes up without it
- Learn 1 new piano piece
- Actually use the cash we've been saving for the things it's earmarked for (mainly home renovation, new car for spouse)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2022 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment
  • Transfer my rollover Trad IRA into my 401k I'm now in the good situation where I need to backdoor Roth IRA, so I need to get rid of my rollover Trad IRA first. Hopefully, Congress doesn't axe backdoors before I get to it.
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan
  • Finish the basement. Consider a HELOC if rates are good vs. outright cash that we have saved up Pending availability of labor / materials.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books I read a lot of comic books, but I don't know how to include them in my goal so I won't.
  • Support my wife in her journey to lose weight Very vague, I know.
  • Use all of my vacation I have 4-5 weeks of time off depending which HR you ask and if they include "family time" as vacation, and I'm going to use it all.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I've been in debt pretty much consistently for the last 12 years. A few months ago I got out of the last batch and I decided to actually do something about it.

Financial Goals

- 1/4 of paycheck into ISA every month
- Pay for wedding later this year and buy car as a couple without eating into savings or running up more debt (this should be done, but there's always unexpected costs)
- Earn extra 1/4 of main paycheck with side revenue stream and put unspent into savings
- Ask for a payrise at main employment (got a 2.2% raise as standard and inflation is currently 6%)

Personal Goals

- Get married!
- Learn to drive a car (about time, I only use a motorcycle)
- Switch motorcycle to electric
- Join fire service (physical exam is tomorrow)
- Visit friend for skiing in New Zealand
- Have more fun (not SMART but probably most critical goal)

Good luck everyone!

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Staggy posted:

End of 2021
  1. £18,000 (+£12,042) - happy that I managed to funnel a mid-year raise into this, rather than lifestyle creep. Still no closer to actually buying but I should be in a good position to do so if I can keep this up.
  2. £273.04 / £3,000 (9.1%) - life and ennui got in the way. I'll try again in 2022.
  3. All finalised and paid - should be even easier/quicker in 2022.

2022 Financial Goals:
  1. House Deposit to £32,000 (starting from £18,000; immediately added £1,200 in January budget);
  2. Side Project income of £3,000 (gross);
  3. FY21-22 Self Assessment submitted and paid by end of October 2022;

Goal 1 should be something I can set and forget each month, unless something unexpected comes up. Goal 3 just needs me to be reasonably on the ball with deadlines (and given how little I made on my side project this tax year, will probably just be "submitted" with nothing to pay). Goal 2 is the real challenge and it ties in to a few aspects of my life (future career plans, general motivation/proactivity, etc.).

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
BFC:
Max out backdoor Roth (done)
Max out standard annual I Bond contribution (done)
Max out pre-tax 401k contributions (autopilot, should max in April)
Max out megabackdoor Roth contributions
Continue shifting my non-real-estate asset allocation downward from its current leveraged position of over 100% equities
Get another job offer at a comparable compensation range as a fallback plan and potential way to generate a counteroffer comp increase
Evaluate three points on the effort spectrum: doing as little as possible to not get fired, doing as little as possible to expect a pretty good annual review, and overemployment. (I think I've been close to that middle item for a while I think, will validate once the review comes in)

Lifespan & Healthspan:
Systematize a sauna / steam room / whirlpool routine
Return to sport, targeting twice a month during non-winter
More video games.
Habituate mid-day mindfulness practice
Proactively nurture positive expected utility friendships, more and deeper
Explore lucid dreaming as a way to meaningfully increase the amount of time I spend conscious

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Quote is not edit
(The first year or so on SA I wondered how this could happen in every thread, but now it's happened to meeeee)

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Financial
  • Max Roth IRA (on autopilot)
  • Max pre-tax 401K (on autopilot)
  • Max HSA (on autopilot)
  • Max I bonds by the end of April
  • Get an estate plan (will and/or trust) set up

Life
  • Exercise at least 4x per week, one of
    • 30 mins cardio
    • 5 miles walking
    • calisthenics routine
  • Lose 10 lbs, 175 -> 165
  • Acquire amateur radio license
  • Read at least one book per month for pleasure
  • Explore at least one state park I haven't visited yet
  • Schedule deferred medical appointments
  • Home improvement projects:
    • Install ceiling fans in bedrooms/office
    • Install new fans/lights/faucets in bathrooms
    • Finish painting entryway
    • Replace entryway light fixture

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I’m in an unusual situation this year. I am currently on a leave of absence from my usual job and working as an interim administrator. So - while I will be making a decent amount more money overall, I also will not get paychecks in July and August as my admin contract runs through the end of June and my usual contract starts back up in September. So, just gotta make sure I put away money for summer expenses and not overspend when I see these large paychecks coming in. It’ll be sad to break my streak of positive net worth months in YNAB.

Goals:

1. Raise net worth from $260k to $310k. I don’t even know what are reasonable goals here, so +$50k it is!

2. Increase emergency fund from $16k to $18k. I think I’ll feel good when it hits $20k? I don’t know.

3. Get fence + retaining wall replaced. Pay cash, hopefully. I'll start getting estimates in February/March and go from there!

4. Put away $7k for August/September expenses. I added a budget line item for this so I can move money out of it during the two months I won’t be getting paychecks.

5. Make one extra mortgage payment.

6. Contribute minimum $4k to Roth IRA.

7. No new consumer debt!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

New goal: Avoid anger or depression when reading the wealth of other goons in the Financial Goals 2022 thread.

(Not on Track)

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

New goal: Avoid anger or depression when reading the wealth of other goons in the Financial Goals 2022 thread.

(Not on Track)

Try to channel that into motivation, because

Doccykins posted:

Small goals are cool and good, setting and completing small wins if you have a lower income/net worth is the best way to increase it! Many goons who are posting guillotine levels of wealth started years ago thousands of dollars/pounds in debt. Making and achieving their goals over the course of years has helped put them where they are today so don't be shy to :justpost: if you haven't participated in this thread before!

The fact that you're reading this thread/subforum is a good start. I wish I had started learning this stuff a decade earlier, but focusing on the past doesn't help you set up the future, nor does comparing your situation to others.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Financial
  • Pay off all CC debt. (Debt there is currently just a smidge under $16800).
  • Pay for final class/semester of school out of pocket. (Cost will be a little under $1100 when including books, or possibly $2000 if I decide to throw in an extra class to pad my GPA. Go community college!)
  • Have an actual emergency fund, fill it to at least $1000.
  • Max out my work's charity donation matching.

Life
  • Have my gym program up to 4 workout sessions a week, plus at least one non-programmed workout at least once every other week. (Currently at 3x a week, with random stuff like hikes thrown in far too rarely.)
  • Consume no caffeine. (Haven't had any since December 18th, now at the "dreaming about the substance I'm kicking" phase of withdrawal.)
  • Graduate from community college.
  • Lose >40 pounds.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
BFC
-max Roth (done)
-max 401k (auto)
-save for half of moving costs from earned income by June : 0/$3500
-keep credit debt under $3,000
-$+9000 in taxable from earned income
-finish selling record collection
-net worth +$100k

Personal
-run NY Half marathon
-run Brooklyn Half marathon
-finish the NYC marathon in honor of the loved ones I lost in 2019
-move to Portland
-continue ceramics classes
-get more massages
-buy less clothes
-bake more

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Keeping it simple again for 2022

Financial
1. Max 401k
2. $500/month into my investment account
3. $500/month into my savings
4. $500/month into our savings
5. $500/month extra on our loan

Personal
1. Read 20 books
2. Exercise 15 days per month
3. Build something

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Update time:

Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50% Not yet, not even bothering to do the math
Buy new furniture, spend more than $2K and less than $5K Not yet
Figure out how to open a 529 for an eventual future child figured it out which leads me to
new goal: open 529 for KG3

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 5 so far on pace
Exercise 150x over the course of the year. 12 NOT on pace
Ski/snowshoe 10 days or more 3 on pace
go on a nice vacation with wife

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

January update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment
  • Transfer my rollover Trad IRA into my 401k Rollover check is in the mail because of course my employer's service provider won't accept direct rollovers.
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan
  • Finish the basement. Consider a HELOC if rates are good vs. outright cash that we have saved up I have several contractors lined up to provide estimates.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 2 of 16 read
  • Support my wife in her journey to lose weight We joined a virtual running club, and she is currently ahead of me. GNF - 0 miles; GNF's wife - 5 miles.
  • Use all of my vacation 0 of 192 hours

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 18, 2022

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

January Update:

Financial
  • Pay off all CC debt. - CC debt down to $14250 now. On pace.
  • Pay for final class/semester of school out of pocket. - Bill for last class is due May. On pace.
  • Have an actual emergency fund, fill it to at least $1000. - Fund currently sitting at $105. On pace.
  • Max out my work's charity donation matching. - Not on pace.

Life
  • Have my gym program up to 4 workout sessions a week, plus at least one non-programmed workout at least once every other week. - Not on pace.
  • Consume no caffeine. - Haven't had a drop. I hate that I have chosen this goal so much, but I'm sticking with it.
  • Graduate from community college. - On pace.
  • Lose >40 pounds. - Not on pace.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
End of January Update
2022 Financial Goals
-Max out 2022 traditional 457b: $3442.50/$20,500
-Max out 2022 Roth IRA: $1,000/$6,000
-Finish maxing out 2021 Roth IRA: $4,952/$6,000
-Retirement saving rate of over 30% annual gross income (not counting pension payments): 44.5% (2-month average)
-Determine how I will need to prepare for a possible early retirement. Did a little bit of question asking in the FIRE thread. I may do some poking around in the Boglehead forums as well.

Personal Goals
-If and when COVID allows, schedule long deferred medical appointments (general checkup, dental, vision, psychiatric). Still waiting, but if the recent pullback in COVID case numbers is sustained, I'll try to schedule these this month.
-Make at least two trips to visit distant family and friends. I have two trips in the planning stages, one for March and one for June. Fingers crossed that COVID situation doesn't deteriorate even further.
-Get a nice food processor and a stand-up mixer. I'll start saving for these after maxing 2021 Roth IRA
-As COVID allows, eat a nice meal in LA quarterly. No ideas on this one yet, COVID makes this quarter feel a little dicey.
-As COVID allows, play at least 1 OTB chess tournament. No action on this one yet.
-Take an online course dedicated to the London for white and the Caro-Kann for black. Figure out my responses to 1.d4 as black. Or this one.
-Get my rapid rating above 1300 on Chess.com Or this one.

Looking at it, I need to start making more of a concerted effort on the chess stuff, but it's always hard to do lessons and courses when I could just play games instead.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
February update

Current State
- My student loans: $185k at 0%, eligible for PSLF 5/2022, on payment pause until then so should be able to apply after May's payment is sent surprise PSLF in January, guess the waiver found some more payments, officially done!
- Her student loans: $150k at 0%, eligible for PSLF 6/2023, payments on pause
- Mortgage: 15 yr fixed at 2.25%

Financial Goals
- Max backdoor Roth IRAs for me/spouse Done
- Max my/spouse's 403b/457b on autopilot
- Put in 3k/month in to taxable Probably will drop to $2k when her loan payments restart
- $1k/mo to each of our two kids 529s on autopilot
- Goal: Increase net worth by $500k :guillotine: Already already $185k closer, hah
- Goal: Start a small endowment for the training program I direct, or not if I jump ship looking into some matching funds, might get a 1:1 match

Personal Goals
- Work out 5 days a week when not on service
- Get stuff together for academic promotion application in July, may defer if a good job opportunity comes up without it
- Learn 1 new piano piece
- Actually use the cash we've been saving for the things it's earmarked for (mainly home renovation, new car for spouse) new couch for family room purchased
- 3 y/o brought home COVID for everyone, breakthrough infections for all but doing ok, finishing quarantine today, going to take advantage of everyone's immune status to travel/do indoor activities with the kids

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Chinese new year means I'm allowed to be late to the party, here goes:

2021 Recap
Financial: I quit my job. Personal: I taught my kid to read and swim, painted the house purple, published my novel, and got a beehive.

2022 Goals
- Stain deck
- Get bids for garage remodel and decide whether to hire out or DIY
- Read 100 books (16 so far, my favorites have been How We Talk, House of Dawn, and Dead Astronauts)
- Make an herb garden
- Hike once a week
- Get back into pottery or some other art if covid goes back down in the spring
- Do volunteer tutoring at the library if covid goes back down in the spring
- Finish painting the back of the house
- Learn Dawn on the piano, it's such a nice song and I should really play more

I'm trying to spend more of my time and energy now on things that help my family and community, and I've joined a few library and parks volunteer groups to that end. I'm building up my garden and beehive to become more self-sustaining and productive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

Consume no caffeine. - Haven't had a drop. I hate that I have chosen this goal so much, but I'm sticking with it.

respect, you madlad

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

Financial Goals for 2022

- Increase Pension Pot from £105k to £130k
- Increase ISA from £13k to £18k
- Increase Short Term Savings from £2400 to £5000 (if not cleaned out with personal goal)
- Increase Net Worth from £141k to £170k
- Remortgage in December at end of 2 year fix, probably to a 5 year fix

Personal Goals for 2022

- Mount Bedroom TV and Bathroom Mirror
- Redecorate curtains and blinds for Kitchen | Living Room | Front Bedroom | Back Bedroom | Office
- Redecorate living room floor
- Buy new Office Chair (rolled over from 2021)
- Buy new Fridge/Freezer | Washing Machine for kitchen (this is more of a stretch goal as the current ones work but aren't particularly good)
- Buy new (used) car with Short Term Savings in Q3 or Q4
- Run and/or cycle at least twice a week
- Take a two week holiday in Q2 or Q3 and delete my work email app from my phone - this worked really well for the Christmas/New Year period to decompress (though I'm not logging in until tomorrow to see what kind of a disaster my inbox is)
- Take one hour a day off screen at lunch when working

End of Jan Update

Financial Goals

- Pension Pot £102k, number go down
- ISA £12k
- Short Term Savings £2600
- NW £138k

Personal Goals
- TV and Mirror mounted, need to redo the aerial at the other end though
- Bought blind material for Kitchen, Office and Back Bedroom
- Living Room Floor tbd
- Fridge/Freezer & Washing Machine on the back burner for now
- No car yet, having a quick scan through things we both like the look of every now and then
- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I very guiltily looked at this goal this morning and resolved to go for a run today. My legs now ache. 1/8.
- Flights are starting to come alive again, I'm planning to go skiing with a couple of friends at the end of next month to work out how bad the flight experience is.
- Started this one well, took some time off for my birthday, need to remind myself again as I pushed through today then went for a run which was stupid.

Errr... Can I take my mulligan now?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Update:
All goals - not on track

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Update:
All goals - not on track
For the weight loss one, I was able to lose 10 pounds in just a few months by cutting my top two caloric snacks (popcorn, oreos). Maybe try that if that's one you're having trouble with?

For running, put on [url="39y-BGoJTms"[/url]All Day, it's great pacing for a moderate jog and always got me hyped to run.

For reading, order Lexicon by Max Barry from the library, it's a super fun page turner.

But really, what do you want to focus on this month as far as goals? You had a lot of goals at first and it's hard to change a bunch of habits all at once usually. Focus on one for now and get it going!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

moana posted:

For the weight loss one, I was able to lose 10 pounds in just a few months by cutting my top two caloric snacks (popcorn, oreos). Maybe try that if that's one you're having trouble with?

For running, put on [url="39y-BGoJTms"[/url]All Day, it's great pacing for a moderate jog and always got me hyped to run.

For reading, order Lexicon by Max Barry from the library, it's a super fun page turner.

But really, what do you want to focus on this month as far as goals? You had a lot of goals at first and it's hard to change a bunch of habits all at once usually. Focus on one for now and get it going!

I actually greatly exceeded my reading goal and I am saving a bit more so I hit that goal too.

I also caught Covid in January. So that put a damper on progress.

I appreciate your thoughtful effort post :)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Oh poo poo, then your only goal should be to chill out and recover so you don't end up with long Covid.

I'd be curious to hear what people have read for their reading goals, if the books are any good.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

It seems like everyone on Earth is recommending Atomic Habits and now I want to read it, too.

My current habits are seeing my 2022 goals through pretty well, so we'll see what improvements come of it!

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
BFC:
Max out backdoor Roth (done)

Max out standard annual I Bond contribution (done)

Max out pre-tax 401k contributions (autopilot, should max in April)
- Actually changed to after-tax for now since I might switch companies and get a better pre-tax match.

Max out megabackdoor Roth contributions
- See above

Continue shifting my non-real-estate asset allocation downward from its current leveraged position of over 100% equities
- Calculated that I'm about 150% equities today, tentatively targeting roughly 115% by EOY.

Get another job offer at a comparable compensation range as a fallback plan and potential way to generate a counteroffer comp increase
- At late-stage interviews with 3 companies right now.

Evaluate three points on the effort spectrum: doing as little as possible to not get fired, doing as little as possible to expect a pretty good annual review, and overemployment. (I think I've been close to that middle item for a while I think, will validate once the review comes in)
- Overemployment seems like a huge hassle. Review details still pending. If I do switch jobs, I probably have to try a fair amount at the start, so this is up in the air right now.

Lifespan & Healthspan:
Systematize a sauna / steam room / whirlpool routine
- Sauna has been pretty regular, other two lagging.

Return to sport, targeting twice a month during non-winter
- It's still winter

More video games.
- Interview prep has meant less video games, unfortunately.

Habituate mid-day mindfulness practice
- Have done some late-day, not doing well here.

Proactively nurture positive expected utility friendships, more and deeper
- Deeper yes, not quite more yet and don't have a clear path there.

Explore lucid dreaming as a way to meaningfully increase the amount of time I spend conscious
- Have been remembering dreams quite frequently. Need to do a bit more here though.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
Financial goals for FY2022 (July-June):
- have a savings rate of over 50% - currently at 59% as at end of January
- increase superannuation contributions to max out concessional cap - wait until company accountant changes at end of February then request it
- set up a high interest savings fund for ~6 months of expenses - propose to cancel this one, mortgage offset account is fine for now and interest rates are woeful
- update donations to 4% of current salary - new amounts calculated, 1 of 4 charities updated to reflect new amounts

Personal goals for 2022 (Jan-Dec):
- read 15 books - 1/15 completed this year so far, got a few books half-read so I think I'm on track
- write & post one article every week - one written so far so I'm behind by ~4-5 articles, may have to change to 30-40 for the year, just not finding the time to write
- listen to at least one new album every week - 6 weeks ahead of schedule
- 6 home improvement tasks - 0/6 so far, looking at regrouting the shower shortly

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

moana posted:

Oh poo poo, then your only goal should be to chill out and recover so you don't end up with long Covid.

I'd be curious to hear what people have read for their reading goals, if the books are any good.

I’m working my way through two different depressing nonfictions about human rights.

I read the entirety of “The blacktongue thief” a fantasy book and v fun.

I also have atomic habits sitting on the shelf. Ironic that my goal is to have better habits but I don’t have the habit to do the things I need to do (read the book) to get better habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

I also have atomic habits sitting on the shelf. Ironic that my goal is to have better habits but I don’t have the habit to do the things I need to do (read the book) to get better habits.

Atomic Habits is great and a pretty easy/straightforward read. It's quite motivational and actionable - even if you just read the intro section you'll get something out of it.