Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

September update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment
  • Transfer my rollover Trad IRA into my 401k and max out backdoor Roth IRA
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan Reached out to a couple in-network lawyers, but nothing scheduled yet.
  • Finish the basement. Stay under 60k all in. Basement work should be done by mid-October. 48k spent so far.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 16 of 16 read
  • Exercise 1 day/week I usually workout in the basement, but since that's under construction, I can't workout there. And I haven't made effort to find a different place.
  • Use all of my vacation 120 of 192 hours

LanceHunter posted:

[*]Max out my work's charity donation matching. - Not on pace.

What's the max here that you're trying to hit? It may be worth calling this goal a loss for the year and focusing on paying down your CC debt.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Good-Natured Filth posted:

What's the max here that you're trying to hit? It may be worth calling this goal a loss for the year and focusing on paying down your CC debt.

It’s just $1000. I’d been meaning to set up an $85/month automatic payment to make it happen but then held back since I was trying to pay more of the CC debt down, and now that I haven’t done that the chance to make a big lump sum payment isn’t really in the budget. So yeah, likely a loss on this one barring some unexpected windfall. Alas, there’s always 2023.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
9 Month Update

Current State
- My student loans: 170k, currently 0% interest, no payments until May October January, for real this time. :negative:
- Mortgage on 30 year fixed at 2.875%

Financial Goals for 2022:
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: Done
- Max out wife's Mega Backdoor Roth. On track
- Max my 401k when I become eligible this summer. Became eligible with job/promotion, on track, almost done.
- Put in 11k/month in to taxable. On track Will increase this to $15k starting next month Have been putting in 15k/month since July.
- Put in 3k/month in to savings. On track
- Start a 529 plan for Baby Evil. Baby Evil just arrived! Will plan to do this later this year. Put $1k/month in to this? Funded this with 25k seed, putting in $1k/month.
- Increase net worth to the next million. RIP the market Double RIP
- Stretch: Increase net worth to next 500k. RIP the market AGAIN
- Look in to refinancing student loans after 0%/forbearance ends in January. Debating on what to do. I may just pay these off early next year since I'm no longer eligible for PSLF, even though I work at a non-profit hospital. :negative:

It looks like I will be getting a Very Large Raise this June/July, so hopefully things will improve on some of the above fronts. Got a Very Large Raise/New Job starting this month. I loving love my new job. :toot:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 2, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Net worth: basically the same as at the start of the year. No increase despite 9 months.
No property.
Covid.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Financial Goals
$800/month deferred compensation into 457b (Vanguard Institutional S&P 500 fund, ER 0.02%) (autopilot) Added a small-cap index to the mix to better capture the entire market at cap weighting.
Max out Roth IRA, stash in broad indexes Done!
Max out I bonds done!

Personal Goals
Switch to cold showers (4 for 4 so far) --- we'll see how long this lasts as the temperature drops, but I'm doing fine on this
Lose 15 lbs (from 190 to 175) via the following sub-goals:
-Portion control;
-Daily workout after dinner, even if it's just walking a couple miles outside;
-Replacing cookies and chips with fruits and vegetables in my diet --- Mostly done, I seem to keep gaining and losing the same final five pounds based on the size of dinner or having dessert.
Publish a story/poem (annual goal going back a ways, haven't missed it yet) --- Time to get cracking...
Use at least one week of leave every two months (I have a LOT built up) --- Not doing well at this at all, and it doesn't look like my holiday else will get approved. Oh well, I'm sure I won't regret this on my deathbed!
Reconnect with friends I let drift during covid, one message/call per week --- A friend I was worried would drift away is still connected. Glad they're there and that I could reach out.

Reading everyone else's goals and writing out my own is motivating, thank you! --- Still true!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

Keeping it simple again for 2022

Financial
1. Max 401k
2. $500/month into my investment account
3. $500/month into my savings
4. $500/month into our savings
5. $500/month extra on our loan

Personal
1. Read 20 books
2. Exercise 15 days per month
3. Build something

Q1 | Q2

Q3 Update

1. On Track
2. $500/$500/$500
3. $100/$100/$100
4. $400/$400/$400
5. $200/$200/$200

Personal Goals
1. COMPLETE. 8 this quarter, 21 for the year
2. 7/13/11. Ouch.
3. Nope

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
it's never too late to start, right?

final quarter of 2022 goals
- get a promotion or a second job: this one should be a total slamdunk! i'm applying for a ton of other jobs and my manager is looking to transfer to another store, so i'll keep my fingers and toes crossed. my current job does owe me a £100 bonus, as well as £200 for my overtime in the marketing department, both of which i've remembered while typing this, so i have to chase them on that one
- hit 4k in savings: again, another slamdunk, so long as i keep at it. i've got a payment set up putting £40 into my savings account every fortnight, and my goal is to deposit at least a quarter of my paycheck every month into it, but we'll see if i remember that
- improve my credit score: this sounds super vague but is probably the one i've been most on the ball with over the past few weeks. i got approved for my first credit card last week, it arrived today, and my actual concrete specific goal is to spend at least £25 a month and pay it off. my big problem with this isn't even the money itself, it's that i'm ditzy as gently caress and will almost certainly forget. might need to get somebody irl to yell at me a few times a week just so it sticks
- take a look at my subscription services: not even with the intention of cancelling them, i just want to rethink them all. atm i pay for netflix, spotify premium, and i'm pretty sure i still have a subscription going for a prison email service i haven't used since my boy got out last august
- actually establish a rent-paying schedule: i rent from my parents and just siphon the money out of my account gradually as and when i feel like it but i need to get into better habits and actually pay my rent by a set date in a set sum
- learn to ride a bike: because i spent £15 a week on uber last week and i don't have time for this poo poo any more

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
when you rejigger your subscriptions, put some of them on the cc, and then set autopay

boom, i have ensured you will marginally increase your credit score over time

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Open enrollment is coming up, and I'll just say to get short term disability insurance. Broke my right shoulder last week and couldn't use the computer and was worried I'd have more time off than my PTO could cover. Was worried I would have to get surgery but LTD doesn't kick in for 90 days. Thankfully it's an easy break to heal. I almost self-owned because I declined it last year, and I sure as poo poo am enrolling in it again this year. I do have an emergency fund, but even a little bit of income would have been a nice guarantee.

Upside is I've maxed my deductible for the year :D

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

w4ddl3d33 posted:

- get a promotion or a second job: this one should be a total slamdunk! i'm applying for a ton of other jobs and my manager is looking to transfer to another store, so i'll keep my fingers and toes crossed. my current job does owe me a £100 bonus, as well as £200 for my overtime in the marketing department, both of which i've remembered while typing this, so i have to chase them on that one
- hit 4k in savings: again, another slamdunk, so long as i keep at it. i've got a payment set up putting £40 into my savings account every fortnight, and my goal is to deposit at least a quarter of my paycheck every month into it, but we'll see if i remember that
- improve my credit score: this sounds super vague but is probably the one i've been most on the ball with over the past few weeks. i got approved for my first credit card last week, it arrived today, and my actual concrete specific goal is to spend at least £25 a month and pay it off. my big problem with this isn't even the money itself, it's that i'm ditzy as gently caress and will almost certainly forget. might need to get somebody irl to yell at me a few times a week just so it sticks
- take a look at my subscription services: not even with the intention of cancelling them, i just want to rethink them all. atm i pay for netflix, spotify premium, and i'm pretty sure i still have a subscription going for a prison email service i haven't used since my boy got out last august
- actually establish a rent-paying schedule: i rent from my parents and just siphon the money out of my account gradually as and when i feel like it but i need to get into better habits and actually pay my rent by a set date in a set sum
- learn to ride a bike: because i spent £15 a week on uber last week and i don't have time for this poo poo any more

one week and one day update:
- today i learned how to ride a bike!
- last week i cancelled a subscription i didn't even know i had, but, using the money i'll save from this and from cutting down on smoking, i've began therapy. i'm hoping this will be a good investment in the long run (and money spent on self-improvement is always fine by me)
- i've spent and paid off over £100 on my credit card since getting it a few weeks back. this might seem like a lot, but i used it to buy some chrismukkah presents, and a win is a win
- got an interview for a role that pays almost 10k more per year than my current job :smug:
- i'm at a little under 2.1k in my savings right now

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Current Status as of October 31, 2022

A good month for net worth goals. Topped off my HSA for the year and bought $10,000 in I Bonds before the end of the month.

The last remaining tax advantaged space I have for 2022 is ~$8k in my 401K. However, my plan has outrageous fees so I am in no rush to top that off.

Assets

Total Cash = $65,368 (+ $5,454)

Total Investments = $94,896 (+ $5,058)

Total Property = $588,590 (- $1,800)

Total Retirement = $164,799 (+ $9,532)

Total Assets = $913,653 (+ $18,244)

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $4,849

Total Other = $724 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $252,249

Total Liabilities = $257,822

Net Worth = $655,831

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

My net worth is basically the same.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

YeahTubaMike posted:

See you in October!

I think I'll aim for December 1 next time. As for my current financial goal status:

-$15,000 for emergencies ($2,023.55 to go)
-$6,000 for travel ($1,636.47 to go)
-$3,200 for bills ($672.14 to go)

Apparently, the 70000 Tons of Metal cruise is going on sale, and I'm still not entirely sure how much travel money is going toward that. :ohdear: Anyway, my personal goals:
-get down to 208 pounds (my scale broke, time to replace it :btroll:)
-eat at least two meals a day at home, unless one or more of them is free (eeeeeehhhh I plead the fifth :negative:)
-buy a vacuum
-pare down my insanely large useless t-shirt collection
-get my third COVID booster (still haven't done this, still trying to find the most convenient weekend...)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

October update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan I'm really bad at following up with people.
  • Finish the basement. Stay under 60k all in. Basement is done!!! 58k spent*

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 17 of 16 read
  • Exercise 1 day/week I've been doing lots of moving of stuff, building furniture, and cleaning now that the basement is done. It counts as exercise for me.
  • Use all of my vacation 120 of 192 hours

* Basement cost breakdown for those interested
  • $30.5k - General contractor payments. This covered the bulk of the work (framing, wiring, plumbing, drywall, painting, installation of self-purchased items below, etc.)
  • $13.5k - Water mitigation
  • $9k - Egress window (cutting into the foundation, installing the window, regrading the yard, etc.)
  • $2k - LVT flooring (materials)
  • $2k - Cabinetry + countertop (materials)
  • $750 - Carpet + install (only on the stairs)

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

October Update!

1. Raise net worth from $260k to $310k. $289k. RIP this goal

2. Increase emergency fund from $16k to $18k. $17.9k

3. Get fence + retaining wall replaced. Pay cash. Goal met, April 2022. Cost: 11.2k

4. Put away $7k for August/September expenses. Goal met, June 2022.

5. Make one extra mortgage payment. 0.97 extra payments made.

6. Contribute minimum $4k to Roth IRA. $3760 contributed.

7. No new consumer debt! On track.

Not getting full paychecks for a few months there sucked, but was glad I had planned ahead. Should meet all but goal #1 on my next paycheck.

spinst fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 2, 2022

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
My batting average is low but I still have a couple months left.

moana posted:

2022 Goals
- Stain deck NOPE not happening anytime soon cause it's rainy season now lolol maybe next spring!
- Get bids for garage remodel and decide whether to hire out or DIY DONE, decided to DIY
- Read 100 books GOING STRONG, 85 so far and my current one is Neveryon by Samuel R Delaney, great writer and great book so far
- Make an herb garden DONE
- Hike once a week HALFSIES DONE
- Get back into pottery or some other art if covid goes back down in the spring WELP
- Do volunteer tutoring at the library if covid goes back down in the spring WELP, still tutoring a couple kids though
- Finish painting the back of the house NOPE haha same as the deck
- Learn Dawn on the piano, it's such a nice song and I should really play more NOPE guess who doesn't care about playing piano
I have to remember that I ended up doing a ton of other DIY projects (built a shed, gutted the garage, replaced the garage door, moved a window) so I don't feel quite as bad not doing the ones I said I would do. Going to budget out a three-day stretch next year for each one to do in the spring.

My reading has slumped due to a stretch of terrible books but I think I can read another 15 by the end of the year and while there have been some crap ones, there have also been some keepers. I like to read a bunch of different books so I can pick which ones to give as Christmas presents. The Windup Girl was amazing! but also too depressing to give as a present haha

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

October Update:

Financial
  • Pay off all CC debt. - Done. (Bonus was much better than expected.)
  • Pay for final class/semester of school out of pocket. - Done
  • Have an actual emergency fund, fill it to at least $1000. - Fund at $405 now. Might not hit $1k by the end of the year, but I'll get as close as I can.
  • Max out my work's charity donation matching. - Not on pace. Now that CC debt is cleared I'm going to try to put some dents in this, but I probably won't be able to knock out the whole thing.

Life
  • Have my gym program up to 4 workout sessions a week, plus at least one non-programmed workout at least once every other week. - Still have the 5 programmed workouts, still not hitting them regularly enough. Not on pace. I'm only going to consider this a win if I am hitting the workouts regularly over the course of at least a whole month, so I need to start ramping back up now.
  • Consume no caffeine. - Failed. I made it 168 days.
  • Graduate from community college. - Graduated in August. Diploma is now framed and hung on my wall.
  • Lose >40 pounds. - This one is out of reach now. >30 pounds is still a possibility, though.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
End of Octobeer

Financial Goals
- Pension Pot £105k
- ISA £9.8k
- Short Term Savings £4400
- NW £138k

Personal Goals
- Finally got back to the house improvements and spent Saturday deciding on new living room curtains, also got a quote for reinforcing the garden fence for the next storm and cried a little
- Buy new (used) car with Short Term Savings in Q3 or Q4 - Might be inheriting my partner's mum's car here as she doesn't drive it anymore - that would be a great saving and can push the short term savings goal to next year's refurbs/holiday
- Run and/or cycle at least twice a week nope nope nope, idiot boy
- Take one hour a day off screen at lunch when working - finishing this post and doing that right now

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

w4ddl3d33 posted:

update:
- worked a trial shift for one new job, through to the final interview for another
- currently at £2673.33 in savings
- credit score went from just over 600 to a little over 900
- i got a bike as a gift and now i ride a minimum of five miles a day. i save between £14 and £21 a week on travel because of it, but once i get more confident and i fully cut out public transport it'll be about £45 a week. pretty neat

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Financial Goals for 2022
  • Increase savings account by $100 per month. not on track, I have less total savings now than I had in April
  • Further research homebuying process and if it's right for me. Done. I researched and it will never loving happen for me in my community. My income will never catch the increasing housing costs.
  • Review retirement packages and see if I can increase my contributions. I might be able to at the start of next year. But it would be some “who gives a gently caress” amount like $50 a month.

Personal Goals for 2022
  • Every work day: Take a walk for my work lunch breaks. Not even close
  • Every month: Lose 2 pounds until I reach my target goal. i achieved this, then got fat again
  • Every month: Once target goal weight achieved, start putting on muscle. i achieved some of this, then got fat again
  • Five times per week: Do targeted stretches and exercises that target my problem areas.nope
  • Twice per week: Run.nope
  • Thrice per week: Light Weights. nope
  • Twice per week: Read at least 1 hour of non-work related materials. nope
  • Lifestyle: Spend less of my non-work time at my desk. kind of
  • Figure out what I want from life. nope

Ornery and Hornery posted:

New goal: Avoid anger or depression when reading the wealth of other goons in the Financial Goals 2022 thread.

(Not on Track)

Not even close to on track. Some people ITT generate more net worth in a month than I do in a year despite my miserly saving and their lavish recreational spending. I’m angry as gently caress.

All in all this year I got Covid twice and it looks like both my financial and biological health will be worse at the end of 2022 than at the start. Terrific.

poo poo sucks, gonna find a dog to pet.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Not even close to on track. Some people ITT generate more net worth in a month than I do in a year despite my miserly saving and their lavish recreational spending. I’m angry as gently caress.

All in all this year I got Covid twice and it looks like both my financial and biological health will be worse at the end of 2022 than at the start. Terrific.

poo poo sucks, gonna find a dog to pet.
I'm sorry duder, comparison depression sucks. It's all down to luck for a lot of it (both the money and the Covid) and sometimes poo poo gets unlucky and it seems hopeless to get ahead. I hope you pull out of it.

I'm down to join you on a new exercise goal if you want to start small, like, working out once a week or pushups every day or something. I'm in terrible shape and my kid brought home a ton of candy "and I got Twizzlers whenever they had them because I know you like those, mama!" poo poo, kid, thank you and gently caress my sugar intake for this month I guess.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

moana posted:

I'm sorry duder, comparison depression sucks. It's all down to luck for a lot of it (both the money and the Covid) and sometimes poo poo gets unlucky and it seems hopeless to get ahead. I hope you pull out of it.

I'm down to join you on a new exercise goal if you want to start small, like, working out once a week or pushups every day or something. I'm in terrible shape and my kid brought home a ton of candy "and I got Twizzlers whenever they had them because I know you like those, mama!" poo poo, kid, thank you and gently caress my sugar intake for this month I guess.

set yourself a new personal goal, deadline is as soon as humanly possible, to learn that red vines are infinitely better than twizzlers

moana
Jun 18, 2005

1. You can't give out red vines on Halloween, at least I've never seen them individually wrapped. And

2. gently caress red vines.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Twizzlers actually have a licorice aftertaste, red vines taste like someone melted restaurant crayons and mixed in high fructose corn syrup.

gently caress it now I'm eating another twizzler, thanks a lot

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
How soon is too soon for a 2023 goals thread? I did okay overall on my 2022 plans, but at this point I'm basically getting a head start on next year.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

YeahTubaMike posted:

So, over the past few days, I started experiencing symptoms of anemia. Those symptoms were alleviated by upping my iron intake, thank goodness, but this also leads me to believe that it actually was anemia.

Even if it wasn't though, long story short, dieting doesn't seem like the greatest idea right now, so I'm shifting my goal to being more active rather than actively trying to lose weight. :shobon:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Turbinosamente posted:

How soon is too soon for a 2023 goals thread? I did okay overall on my 2022 plans, but at this point I'm basically getting a head start on next year.
Do it!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

The thread or the goals, lol? I am a piss terrible OP writer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

The thread or the goals, lol? I am a piss terrible OP writer.

gaze back on the poo poo OP i posted in '20 and ask yourself: could i possibly do worse

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gaze back on the poo poo OP i posted in '20 and ask yourself: could i possibly do worse

You'd be suprised; I don't have the "it" factor to pull off a swagger style OP like yours, and I tried it once. But I'm convinced, I'll see if I can scrape together something Wednesday night. I am an old who finds it much easier to copy/paste the relevant info from the current OP on desktop versus mobile.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Found some time and made a 2023 goals thread if you're ready to flip the bird at 2022 and try again next year:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017136

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

November Update!

1. Raise net worth from $260k to $310k. $296k. RIP this goal

2. Increase emergency fund from $16k to $18k. $18k. Goal met, November 2022.

3. Get fence + retaining wall replaced. Pay cash. Cost: 11.2k. Goal met, April 2022.

4. Put away $7k for August/September expenses. Goal met, June 2022.

5. Make one extra mortgage payment. 1.06 extra payments made. Goal met, November 2022.

6. Contribute minimum $4k to Roth IRA. $4120 contributed. Goal met, November 2022.

7. No new consumer debt! On track.

Now to start thinking of next year's goals...

On a side note, I am really glad I replaced my fence earlier this year. We had a gnarly storm earlier this month, and my neighbor's fence fell over and one post snapped. And theirs was nicer/newer than my old one. That would have been a pain to deal with.

spinst fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 25, 2022

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

November update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan At this point, I'm calling it a failure and putting on my 2023 goals.
  • Finish the basement. Stay under 60k all in.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 19 of 16 read
  • Exercise 1 day/week Not traditional exercise, but still a lot of moving & building furniture and cleaning going on to keep my heart rate up and my body sore.
  • Use all of my vacation 144 of 192 hours

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

November Update:

Financial
  • Pay off all CC debt. - Done.
  • Pay for final class/semester of school out of pocket. - Done
  • Have an actual emergency fund, fill it to at least $1000. - Fund at $920 now. Will probably be able to pull this off as long as no emergencies hit.
  • Max out my work's charity donation matching. - Got a monthly auto-donation set up that will make sure I max things out for next year, so at least there is the tiniest bit of progress. I'll probably also do an big donation at the very end of the year with whatever funds are available.

Life
  • Have my gym program up to 4 workout sessions a week, plus at least one non-programmed workout at least once every other week. - Way off track here. Had a lot of late-night deployment calls this month that really screwed up my fitness regimen.
  • Consume no caffeine. - Failed. I made it 168 days.
  • Graduate from community college. - Done.
  • Lose >40 pounds. - Completely blew this one. It's looking like I'll end this year just barely 20 pounds lighter than at the end of last year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Take this as you will but I think you're really underprioritizing your emergency fund. How many months of your minimized living expenses is $1,000? It's admirable to donate to charity but I think you should take that end of year charitable donation and put it in your efund.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50% Back up to 53% which should see us through it to the end of year
Buy new furniture, spend more than $2K and less than $5K decided not to do this
Figure out how to open a 529 for an eventual future child figured it out which leads me to
open 529 for KG3 not yet

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 21so far, I have a few in progress that I need to close out. I also do a horrible job keeping track of it.
Exercise 150x over the course of the year. 132 through November. Serious illness hurt my progress but I think I should be able to close it out with 18 days in December.
Ski/snowshoe 10 days or more 8 Hopefully I pick up the last two in December with the above.
go on a nice vacation with wife went to Denmark, very pleasant

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Take this as you will but I think you're really underprioritizing your emergency fund. How many months of your minimized living expenses is $1,000? It's admirable to donate to charity but I think you should take that end of year charitable donation and put it in your efund.

Maybe we've got different definitions of emergency fund? I'm considering it the fund for random life events where I might need liquid cash immediately, or where putting it on a credit card would hurt my ability to pay the card's full balance that month. Things like unexpected car repairs, medical expense, the kinds of things that are in the famous Fed survey about if you would cover a $400 emergency expense completely using cash or its equivalent (which, looking at the results now, seems to be trending a lot better than when it first came out).

In terms of savings that I might have to live off of in the event that I was suddenly without a job, but where I could accept taking a week or two to actually get it in cash, I've got enough to cover a little over 2 months' worth of my full expenses. Which is admittedly low, but that's not a part of this goal.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 21so far, I have a few in progress that I need to close out. I also do a horrible job keeping track of it.

If you're looking for an app to track your reading, I'm a big fan of StoryGraph which is a great alternative to Goodreads if you dislike Amazon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Good-Natured Filth posted:

If you're looking for an app to track your reading, I'm a big fan of StoryGraph which is a great alternative to Goodreads if you dislike Amazon.

I will check it out. I do not care for the Beez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

YeahTubaMike posted:

I think I'll aim for December 1 next time. As for my current financial goal status:

-$15,000 for emergencies ($2,023.55 to go)
-$6,000 for travel ($1,636.47 to go)
-$3,200 for bills ($672.14 to go)

Apparently, the 70000 Tons of Metal cruise is going on sale, and I'm still not entirely sure how much travel money is going toward that. :ohdear: Anyway, my personal goals:
-eat at least two meals a day at home, unless one or more of them is free (eeeeeehhhh I plead the fifth :negative:)
-buy a vacuum
-pare down my insanely large useless t-shirt collection
-get my third COVID booster (still haven't done this, still trying to find the most convenient weekend...)

Good morrow, kind goons. Here's my almost end of the year update:

-$15,000 for emergencies ($465.34 to go) this should be fine by mid-month*
-$6,000 for travel ($616.57 to go) this should be fine by mid-month
-$3,200 for bills ($539.02 to go) this should be fine by mid-month even if I spend some

I decided I'm not doing 70000 Tons this year...probably. Having to take three PTO breaks in the first half of the year, AND find someone to take care of my cat for all three -- eh. I don't think so.

Other goals:
get down to 208 pounds I don't even know whether or not I did this one because I never bought a scale and drat near killed myself barely even trying :btroll:
-eat at least two meals a day at home, unless one or more of them is free I did better this month than previous months, but I still don't really consider this goal fully met
-buy a vacuum nope :cripes:
-pare down my insanely large useless t-shirt collection the laundromats nearest to my apartment were completely hosed so I had to use them as reserves all month
get my third COVID booster done as of November 25 :toot:

Well, at least I got my money right. :20bux: For now I'm going to see Amon Amarth tonight, and then I'll work on my 2023 goals when I get back. In the meantime, :rock: :black101:

* edit: I'll come back mid-month and confirm that I failed/succeeded. Gotta stay accountable.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 1, 2022