Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I don't know if it's possible, but it might work better as a brain trust thing, because even between units things might be slightly different.

If you have questions about specifics, I think more eyes is better.

Bear is mind also, no expects it to be perfect. Even in fiction written by dudes who did the poo poo, they will screw up something. Unless your main audience is a bunch of Veteran's, don't sweat it too terribly much. I'm a nitpicky gently caress, but I normally forgive sins in media, provided they aren't completely pants on head wrong.

Totally interested in reading it, but useless to help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I would love it if you made the head NCO talk about combat, and how he knows this and that, but then have him hide in combat.

gently caress you, Johnny Wayne, you cowardly piece of poo poo.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Nimmy posted:

I've seen people crack after the fact, but not when their life depended on it. My experience is NCOs acting extremely cocky about how they know everything because they've been in combat, and thinking they know exactly how everything will go... and then when something happens it's not at all what they said because they based their opinion on one deployment or one situation. Some Staff Sergeant thinking he knows everything and it (shockingly) not applying to aliens is exactly the military I know.

I've seen multiple men cower in combat. It happens. Most of them, I didn't judge harshly, because it was a single moment that I saw them in, and for some, it was a composure thing. They needed a minute to get their wits in the fight. The ones I do judge is because I saw it was a character trait. Then mentioned SNCO never took a loving risk, found a way to avoid getting into a fight where 30% got hit, and medals for valor were given out like consolation prizes.

I've also seen a kid so scared he sat himself in the CCP, and gave us all seven of his mags when we told him we were running low. I still feel terrible for the look I gave him, and the shame I could see on his face. He was a kid having a normal reaction to a horrific situation.

Keep in mind, this wasn't some 10-15 minute firefight. We were in it for hours. You notice a lot in your little world in that length of time.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm going to raise an issue that is semantics really, but a pet peeve

50lbs of kit was typical daily poo poo poo poo for a Grunt in Iraq, and we weren't always running from vehicles. 50lbs is completely in the realm of what a trooper would wear on patrol factoring in all the kit- webbing, armor, helmet, NVGs, weapons, medical supplies, logistical poo poo spread through the squad, like linked ammo. Is it an always thing? No. But it's more common that you realize when you factor in your PPE weighs 20-25lbs on it's own.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

It’s worth noting that a whole rear end suit of plate armor was about 50 lbs, and that had the weight distributed across the entire body. It’s also possible to identify the skeletons of knights based on both the wear and tear and the increased density and robustness of the muscle attachment points. Even in the medieval period it was understood that wearing that amount of weight was something that somebody prepares for over the course of years.

No disagreement- as someone who wore 40+lbs of kit through several Iraqi summers, hearing 50lbs being unrealistic struck me as an irritant. Ask me about my arthritis.

No, it's not healthy. I don't think the current PT system is adequate- I think the three tier test for combat, combat support, and service support should be introduced, along with annual soldier tasks tests.

I think making fitness instructor an MOS and assigned at the Battalion level. This would allow them to tune a system to each unit, because I agree with the major sentiment expressed. There is no reason an Intel dude should have to ruck 12 miles.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Naked Bear posted:

I think you could work around that issue by having the fitness trainers report to higher and be simply detailed down to the level they actually service. This sort of scheme works elsewhere for small, niche roles.

e: floating this idea: if they're to be legit technical experts, why not a warrant as BN master trainer?

Because that would make too much sense, and then they would disappear when you need them.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You don't have a cell phone.

I don't think they can require you to get one. I say gently caress 'em.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

This is like the third time they've picked replacements in the last 20 years.

If it does go through, I foresee a short service life that 2/3s of will be desperate life support, like the M14.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

In that situation, it would be an inflection on the rank or title- the I sult would be the delivery, not the words. Someone in that type of situation would know exactly the left and right limits, and know that how the listener perceives the respect in the tone is arbitrary and individual.

I was super fond of rolling my eyes and being super sarcastic when dealing with NCOs who irritated me. I can't get punished for involuntary eye spasms or the fact he was having a bad day- I followed all the rules and etiquette required. But homedude still knows he's a jerk off. Or be overly cheerful, but utterly useless. That's fun. So is ignoring rank.
"Do you see my rank?"
"Yup!"
"Is that how you address an officer!?"
"It is today"

Not telling you how to gently caress your goat- I'm hear to hold the ears- but I would maybe italics the rank, and add a short bit about the way it was delivered.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

MightyJoe36 posted:

Back to the 40s with the uniforms and back to the 80s with the slogan. Can't wait to see what's next.

Well, the SIG SPEAR/"XM5" is going to end up a modern M14 saga.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

We all got medium IBA before we went to OIF- I now know how lucky we were to get IBA and 2 Plates. I was 6'3" and was around 180 at the time. The medium stopped 2/3 the way down my back.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Did your armor have the built in A/C?

That got added on by the local Tourism Bureau.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Theories I have that I can elaborate if you want, but it's conjecture because I didn't serve in AFG, and am only passing on what I've learned from studies, buddies, and memories of old AAR type reports spread around through the Army.

It could be those guys knew they had a better chance than usual; maybe they knew air or fire support wasn't available. Maybe they just got bold.

Other possibilities- someone important was in the area, and it could have been their personal troops, who tended to be better trained. This is my uneducated guess. It could have been a specialized Taliban unit- if they are operating in the ways they did historically, they have more elite troops and teams operate through an area, not unlike the West uses special forces.

There is a chance they were foreign fighters, who tended to be more likely to stand and fight.

There were some reports of suspected Iranian Republican Guard equipped and trained units, but that always sounded like boogeyman bullshit to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

Controversial opinion, likely to explode the heads of staff officers and SNCOs alike:

soldiers are people too

*Citation needed per CSM