Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

It’s a New Year folks. A lot of us made it through 2021, some of us didn’t. Please take a moment to remember those you may have lost.

Let’s start off the year by talking about things to come or things that just occurred Army-wise that are noteworthy.

The ACFT is still on indefinite suspension until an independent commission conducts a survey, thanks to the new NDAA. A Critical Review of the underlying study popped up on the web and the SMA’s PAO is beefing with the author. I’ll throw up links when I can.

The Integrated Personnel and Pay System - Army (IPPS-A) Release 3, bringing on Active Duty and the Army Reserve, has been delayed until Sep 22. The Guard has been using it since Jan 2019, and while I was plugged in pretty heavily then, I haven’t kept up. I’d be curious to know how well it’s working for you in your state.

Army 365’s transition is still a mess. Apparently the contract didn’t include enough licenses for E4 and below, so great job there.

What’s new in your shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Here are the links to the ACFT hooplah:

Kyle Novak, a PhD mathematician and fellow for Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, the ranking member Senate Armed Services Committee, was asked to review the Baseline Soldier Physical Readiness Requirements Study done by the University of Iowa after reports came out about the high failure rate amongst female soldiers. Here's his analysis, also freely available on arxiv.org:
https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/rmepf3/a_critical_review_of_bsprrs_acft_study/

SMA's PAO didn't take kindly to the disparagement of the ACFT, and issued his response here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/rml5sc/a_critical_review_of_a_critical_review_of_bsprrs/

Dr. Novak responded in kind:
https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/rugg8j/a_critical_review_of_a_critical_review_of_a/

This ain't happening in April, folks.

Some choice quotes:

"The underrepresentation of women during the development of the model was so significant that the Army researchers stated: “following an external review by the University of Iowa, Virtual Soldier Research Center, reviewers suggested we bootstrap additional women into the FT Riley sample to provide a more balanced model and determine if women used a different solution set for WTST performance.” Bootstrapping is a technique where data is resampled from already counted
data. In effect the researchers simply copy/pasted already overly underrepresented women, virtually cloning an extra 92 women from the original 49. Unlike in electronic music, resampling will not create anything fresh."

"When researchers asked one professor of kinesiology whether height and weight affect performance on a proposed fitness assessment, he wrote back in all caps “THIS IS BASIC HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY AND SO ROBUST AS TO RENDER IT AXIOMATIC.”

"Saying that leg tucks (or push-ups) have any real relevance as predictors in the model is a bit like giving credit to an airline passenger for a safe landing, simply because he was included on the flight manifest along with the pilot and other crew members."

"In the Army’s attempt to construct a gender neutral-test, they eliminated sit-ups, the one test that was truly gender neutral."

"Recommendations. Be truthful about the model performance and limitations. Stating that the ACFT is over 80 percent predictive is bullshit."

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 6, 2022

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

We were provided an 86-slide PowerPoint with detailed step-by-step instructions, complete with pictures and arrows pointing where to click and everything, and almost everyone on my team still managed to gently caress it up, including me, and I'm the guy they all go to before going to the 6 lol. There's no hope for this poo poo.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Carteret posted:

The automod set to trigger off of "overhead yeet" is an excellent use of someones time

THE OVER-HEAD YEET MEASURES THE ABILITY TO JUST loving SEND IT. ON THE COMMAND, ‘GET SET’, ASSUME THE POSITION BY SPINNING THE BALL TWICE IN YOUR HANDS, THEN TRY TO DRIBBLE IT LIKE A BASKET BALL ONLY TO REALIZE IT WONT BOUNCE BACK UP TO YOU. YOUR FEET MAY BE TOGETHER OR 12 INCHES APART (MEASURED BETWEEN THE FEET) OR HOWEVER YOU WANT, JUST KEEP YOUR rear end BEHIND THAT CONE. ON THE COMMAND ‘GO’, CHANNEL YOUR INNER TREBUCHET AND HEAVE THAT THING INTO ORBIT. THEN, RETURN TO THE STARTING POSITION AND TURN AROUND TO INSPECT IF YOU DOMED ANYONE. THE SCORER WILL REALIZE HE DIDN'T ACTUALLY SEE WHERE THE BALL LANDED BECAUSE HE WAS AFRAID HE WOULD GET HIT, SO HE STOOD TOO FAR AWAY, HE WILL THEN PLACE HIS FOOT ON THE MEASURING TAPE AND JUST GUESS.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

Wait “overhead yeet” is a real world thing?

It’s called the Standing Power Throw, but yeah.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

rifles posted:

I really only see two positives out of the entire ACFT debacle..

1. Units have equipment now, even in the guard supplies have trickled down to company level in most areas.

I’d have to check our unit/command’s current policy but during the rollout we were only authorized to use that equipment for the test.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

It was. Originally it had no alternate events either. This dragon has been defanged to just bleeding gums over the last two years.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Icon Of Sin posted:

It took a decade (or more!) to get to this point :laffo:

Oh for sure, I mean I remember back in like 2011-2012 when they were testing the new test that included the rower. I’m just talking about the changes from ACFT 1.0 to now.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Naked Bear posted:

Just lol if you're still in.

6 years, 8 months, 1 week to go… 😭

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Welp thanks Internet for ruining me. Been neck deep in IPPS-A testing and vacancies are now called Job Openings so JOs are all over the place. Gonna have to tell people to charge their crystals before PCSing

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

A guy over on Reddit put together a slick proposal to update the Army logo. I’m a sucker for clean graphic design and this thing is really thought out. It’s got the SMA PAO’s attention so we’ll see what happens.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 17, 2022

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I’m still in, but only because I’m a Miltech. As soon as I get another job I’m hitting the IRR for awhile. I’ll probably come back to finish my 20 but gently caress I’m so over everything

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Loden Taylor posted:

Remember when some dude on r/Army proposed a new logo that actually looked kinda good?

Well the Army listened and in classic Army style completely missed the loving point

https://www.army.mil/article/264594/new_army_brand_redefines_be_all_you_can_be_for_a_new_generation

I read in another thread there that the Army is halfway through a 10-year contract with whatever branding company came up with that powerpoint star abortion. Hopefully after it’s over they can go with that dude’s. What’s funny is it’s being used on at least one login page that I’ve seen so far, so maybe some 6-shopper took some initiative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Fellas, I regret to inform you that inflation has hit the three dollar pillow. It is now 3.50 and feels half as good. You may as well use a rolled up towel.