Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Oh yeah, the good ol' Beaver Box, it makes you dam strong!

You guys are doing great things for your country, thank you for your service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I'm really struggling to think of a justification for that bullshit over... Almost literally anything else I can think of.

This, but for everything else the Army does too.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Probably over thinking it, most military radio chatter would sound like gibberish to someone that isn't familiar with it. At a basic level, just having the format "[Your callsign], this is [my callsign] , blah blah blah, over" would at least cover the general format.

I have no idea how special operations uses call signs but those words in a callsign for the conventional army correspond to a unit and the number specifies the individual. Like Legion 6, Legion would be the battalion and 6 identifies them as the commander. The same system is used at the company/troop/battery level but there can be differences in platoon level callsigns depending on the type of unit but they still also use numbers.

Like if a scout troop commander was talking to one his platoon leaders over the radio it would be something like "Red 1 this is Dog 6, move to grid xyz, over" with Red being the identifier for first platoon and the 1 as the platoon leader.

Even a regular army scout platoon has multiple HF radios, any special operations unit almost certainly would.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Give everyone the same PT privileges as staff officers, ie go to the gym and do whatever the gently caress you want. Any XO attempting to start a staff PT program should get an article 15.

PT blows rear end when you have to spend 5 days a week doing some other assholes workout.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Look, all these troops need to do is pull up their boot straps and hunt the good stuff, hooah!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

No one would ever use it like "E6 lastname". Personally, if you have to remind someone that you outrank them, you aren't really in charge and come across as weak and ineffective.

It's generally not used to directly insult an individual, more like a "E9 is the most useless rank in the Army" or "nothing more dangerous than an O4 with a good idea" kind of thing.

The military has a chain of command and most troops are unlikely to disregard their commanders orders unless it's coming from somewhere even higher up their direct chain of command. Even then there's an expectation that things work their way through the chain of command first.

Google something like "US Army command board". Every company level unit and above has one of these that goes straight up from their unit up to the President. Everyone knows exactly who's in their chain command all the way to the top.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

General Battuta posted:

How does this read to you? Frankly more detail than the reader probably needs, but...

Did I miss any necessary steps in there? Is that implausibly few links in the chain?

Only thing I would change is "command board" for "chain of command" instead. The command board is a literal physical object everyone knows about but is rarely ever directly referred to itself.

You don't necessarily need to spell out exactly what that chain of command is, maybe just refer to things needing to be worked through the chain of command first. Like "I report directly to MAJ Wygaunt, you're going to need to work things out with him first."

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

When I was in ABOLC we had personal trainers from Auburn University developing our PT plans, including dynamic warm ups and cool down routines. It was the only time in the Army where people weren't constantly destroying their bodies doing dumb poo poo, and the only time where people in the Army had a minimal amount of input on what we did for exercise. It was also the only time where I felt like Army PT didn't negatively impact me when I went to the gym to lift weights.

Pretty sure I heard the Army eventually sent those personal trainers back to Auburn though. Doubt the Army will ever be able to claw PT out of the hands of psychotic NCO's with no knowledge of how the human body works.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Just hunt the good stuff, hooah! Army strong!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Even I've been out for years at this point. Not even in the IRR anymore.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

They never sent me any letters like that, just constantly asking me to verify my address. But those have stopped since I passed the 8 year mark from joining the Army.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I wish I could find the Army PT jacket for sale somewhere that doesn't have all the Army stuff on it. It's still by far the best windbreaker type of running jacket I've ever used. Every windbreaker I've tried has sucked in comparison. Honestly same goes for the Army PT pants that have the mesh liner on the inside.

I've ordered so many different varieties of both off of Amazon and they've all disappointed me. Don't want to be That Guy that still wears his Army pt poo poo as a civilian.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Haha true, I guess the big yellow stripe also just screams ARMY to me.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I think I got rid of the grey one while I was still in the Army because in basic all of the gear I was issued was comically too big for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Assigned parking spots are a trick, everyone knows where you park and notice when your car isn't there.

Shamming is infinitely easier when people can't just look out the window and see if you're here or not.