Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Man, episode seven man. That poo poo floored me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

When people talk about the Symphony stuff dragging, they mean the bits with the actual acting troupe, right? Like the bits with Alex, a.k.a. the concept of the annoying 20 year old given flesh that I want to just go away for ever and never participate in any narrative.

Cause the bits with adult Kirsten by herself loving own and I'll brook no criticism.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Hilario Baldness posted:

The first episode where Jeevan goes grocery shopping and prepares for the end was so reminiscent of my own experience in early March 2020 that it was actually anxiety inducing.

Yea, same here. I remember telling my bf that we HAD to go to Costco the day I read about the first case in the U.S. I was in a mall when I saw the news alert and little alarm bells starting going off in my head. I already knew we had to get ahead of the game and get supplies before things got out of control. Maybe my brain has always secretly prepared for this sort of thing or I have too much anxiety lol

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Man, episode seven man. That poo poo floored me.

Same. Watched it on my way home from seeing my siblings for the first time in two years and I completely broke down.

Xiahou Dun posted:

When people talk about the Symphony stuff dragging, they mean the bits with the actual acting troupe, right? Like the bits with Alex, a.k.a. the concept of the annoying 20 year old given flesh that I want to just go away for ever and never participate in any narrative.

Cause the bits with adult Kirsten by herself loving own and I'll brook no criticism.

Yep.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I quite like most of the writing on this show, it's a bit meta but purposefully so. Even still, having your Claudius stand in complain that no one ever tells Hamlet from Caludius's perspective, in an episode that retells Hamlet from Claudius's perspective, was a real clunker.

I do really like the irony of the man trying to ban performances of Hamlet.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think it's literally just Alex I don't enjoy. All the David Cross and Lori Petty scenes were worth watching for their own sakes. And Enrico Colantoni too -- did i miss the explanation for how he lost his memory and became like he is now?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I love the Symphony and the acting troupe stuff and I especially love Alex :colbert:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I think Alex is the one of the best acted supporting characters in the show. perfectly annoying.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

straight up brolic posted:

I think Alex is the one of the best acted supporting characters in the show. perfectly annoying.

Exactly.

In my head I've been comparing her to the kid from the Babadook. They both have an important part in the narrative that requires them to make me hate every single second they are on screen, and they succeed with aplomb. The writing and acting are perfect and doing exactly what they set out to do, it would be a much worse story without them : good job, well done, god I hate you so much.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Alex is really irritating but it’s that well-written realistic kind of irritating where you completely understand why she feels frustrated even if a lot of it is just her being a kid

red dead
May 30, 2011
https://open.spotify.com/album/7wGWCufaz1H09lwdkJX9Cr?si=H2W1WnLvScu_6wKgUVZfQQ

Album OST out now. Don't look at the title tracks for potential spoilers. Particularly the last few tracks.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

“All the Sick People Were Faking It in A Minor”?!???

Cause there’s no flats. Like dead people. Flat lines. It’s a terrible music joke and I made you read it and this whole explanation too byyyeeeeeeeeee!*!~*~!!~*!!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

E9 made me cry so good. Best drama since Leftovers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really good finale. Pretty cheesy, but you can’t say it wasn’t earned or consistent with the themes of the rest of the show. Man this was such a great great series.

e: I do think they didn’t do enough to redeem Tyler given the actual child suicide bombers thing but that’s my only flaw

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 13, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Very cool interview with Somerville. They wrote a script for the entire comic lol

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/station-eleven-finale-interview-1279145/amp/

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

So is this show just over now? I feel like they have to green light a follow-up some how.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ending was great, I hope they resist the urge to make a sequel.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

straight up brolic posted:

So is this show just over now? I feel like they have to green light a follow-up some how.

I really hope they don’t. It ended perfectly imo and I don’t need them to run into another threat or anything

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This is the best series since the Leftovers as has been said here. I think what made most of it was Himesh Patel's performance. He's so soulful in this role, I honestly never thought much of basically anything else he's done in the past either and I was floored by how good he is in this.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I cried so good in the finale. I really struggled getting on with the show but after finishing the whole thing, it’s top tier for me. That said, I don’t think it quite reaches the emotional catharsis of The Leftovers.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I loved the book, but I like the adaptation's retelling even better; it feels like a perfect example of keeping the tone and spirit of a work while being aware of the changes that better serve a collaborative, visual medium. After that ending, I can't imagine wanting a "perfectly" faithful series with no Jeevan, Frank, and Kirsten relationship, or where Tyler is just a psychopath with no messy dynamic between Clark and his mother.

It's a shame pandemic-fatigue will turn away a lot of viewers, because my God was this a cathartic series. (I cried through most of the finale, but in the way where it's a relief, like taking an antidote to poison.) The Symphony episodes were fun for me! It's nice to have a colorful, visually interesting post-apocalypse, and having a bunch of weirdos in a bizarre setting getting hung up on the same old artist stuff that performers in Shakespeare's time probably ALSO got petty about was both funny and strangely comforting in its humanity.

The troupe's dramatic entrance to Saint Deborah's On The Water in episode 2, complete with a statue of Saint Deborah holding a baby, was just an amazing world building detail to me until episode 9. After they deliver all those babies in the megamart-turned-maternityward, kooky Dr. Terry tells Jeevan her real name.. :unsmith:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Someone, I think in CineD, asked why the theater element. I think the finale showed very nicely. Just the human element to the art within this art was very necessary. Probably my favorite piece of post-apocalypse fiction.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Crisco Kid posted:

I loved the book, but I like the adaptation's retelling even better; it feels like a perfect example of keeping the tone and spirit of a work while being aware of the changes that better serve a collaborative, visual medium. After that ending, I can't imagine wanting a "perfectly" faithful series with no Jeevan, Frank, and Kirsten relationship, or where Tyler is just a psychopath with no messy dynamic between Clark and his mother.

It's a shame pandemic-fatigue will turn away a lot of viewers, because my God was this a cathartic series. (I cried through most of the finale, but in the way where it's a relief, like taking an antidote to poison.) The Symphony episodes were fun for me! It's nice to have a colorful, visually interesting post-apocalypse, and having a bunch of weirdos in a bizarre setting getting hung up on the same old artist stuff that performers in Shakespeare's time probably ALSO got petty about was both funny and strangely comforting in its humanity.

The troupe's dramatic entrance to Saint Deborah's On The Water in episode 2, complete with a statue of Saint Deborah holding a baby, was just an amazing world building detail to me until episode 9. After they deliver all those babies in the megamart-turned-maternityward, kooky Dr. Terry tells Jeevan her real name.. :unsmith:

I just read the Wikipedia summary of the book and agree. There's some parallel weirdness with Tyler being a leader of children exclusively but glad they didn't go the book's route :stare:

suicide bombing cultists is a little more palatable

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Even if you don't believe what he said about the bombs not being his idea, the show's route for his character fits much better with the themes of repeated trauma that needs closure and healing.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Crisco Kid posted:

It's a shame pandemic-fatigue will turn away a lot of viewers, because my God was this a cathartic series. (I cried through most of the finale, but in the way where it's a relief, like taking an antidote to poison.)

This is exactly how I feel too. I just finished watching and I am a mess… It was so cathartic for me. I just picked up my art supplies for the first time in over a year because I have so much emotion spilling out of me that I needed somewhere to channel it all.

The Miranda voiceovers, the plane, the pilot… my face is a river. Amazing finale. I will definitely be rewatching this again and again. Thank god for the podcast too.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I like the character of Tyler, but it is bizarre that he essentially kidnaps a bunch of young kids and everyone just ends up going :shrug: about it. Like, that is really hosed up, especially in a world that's so isolated and with such small communities, and we see how devastated the relatives are but it's basically ignored after the midway point. I guess Clark said it best at the end there. I thought it was a great show overall, but that facet of Tyler's character and the way the it's handled just doesn't really jibe for me. I'm fine with him memorizing Hamlet in an afternoon though.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

wizardofloneliness posted:

I like the character of Tyler, but it is bizarre that he essentially kidnaps a bunch of young kids and everyone just ends up going :shrug: about it. Like, that is really hosed up, especially in a world that's so isolated and with such small communities, and we see how devastated the relatives are but it's basically ignored after the midway point. I guess Clark said it best at the end there. I thought it was a great show overall, but that facet of Tyler's character and the way the it's handled just doesn't really jibe for me. I'm fine with him memorizing Hamlet in an afternoon though.

I mean, the world is over.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Judakel posted:

I mean, the world is over.

I'm not saying there should have some kind of punishment for him because that's not really relevant and what are you even going to do at this point? I just think it's a shortcoming in the otherwise excellent writing in that it's not acknowledged in some way. It just doesn't quite add up for me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I like the character of Tyler, but it is bizarre that he essentially kidnaps a bunch of young kids and everyone just ends up going :shrug: about it.

The indifference most of the characters have to hostage situations and violence is one of the things I really like about this show. When the Symphony's kidnapped in episode five, everyone just kind of shrugs and basically accepts that this is what's happening, and then get over it pretty quickly afterwards. The same with Jeevan in episode nine, after a short adjustment period on his part -- or even the way everyone is just super nonchalant that Kristen stabbed a dude she just met.

You get the sense that everyone's seen and done so much bizarre poo poo that they're all dissociating a bit, while also way more accepting of this kind of nonsense/horror from other people.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Crisco Kid posted:

And in Jeevan's conversation with the lady on the radio earlier in the episode he asks her where she is and she says "by the water".

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

And in Jeevan's conversation with the lady on the radio earlier in the episode he asks her where she is and she says "by the water".

Sure but they’re also by the Great Lakes. There are a lot of different waters and they have a lot of places by them.

“By the water” encompasses 100,000 square miles.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

mcmagic posted:

This is the best series since the Leftovers as has been said here.

I always wondered what the world Nora says she went to where 98 percent vanished would look like and this is pretty much it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

I'm not saying there should have some kind of punishment for him because that's not really relevant and what are you even going to do at this point? I just think it's a shortcoming in the otherwise excellent writing in that it's not acknowledged in some way. It just doesn't quite add up for me.

Everyone seems to have gone nuts, but in understandable and "realistic" ways.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Regarding the Lakes, well... yeah. That's why they can do an annual circuit with plenty of stops, but repeated and specific phrases are such a frequent motif in the show that the wording there is definitely a narrative choice.

Other random observations:
I love how all the main characters are artists. That's an awesome, subversive choice for a post-apocalypse setting. Yeah, they can do a lot of other stuff, but art is a part of so many characters' stories. Even "I create content" Jeevan, who ends up both using a cane like Frank and being a doctor like his sister.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Also one of three shows that I know of to ever have a mandolin in them. Just not an instrument that gets a lot of press.

(Mad Men and Justified are the others.)

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I loved this show so much. I'd read the novel several years ago and loved it as well it but was a bit wary of an adaptation since they can often go so wrong. I liked the changes they made to the series, particularly having Kirsten stay with Jeevan and Frank - what an incredible arc that ended up being.

Someone mentioned it earlier but funny how all of the odd-numbered episodes were so great and were all also self-contained. So many incredible moments I'll remember from the series and feeling a cathartic release in nearly every episode. Such warmth, so much humanity on display. Probably my favourite show in years.

Really excellent music with many great needle drops, especially the reveal of Frank's "project" in episode 7. My favourite piece by far would be this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj9-hx4Pgzg

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
In terms of adaptation, I think it's kinda fascinating that they moved the action of the novel from the more affordable Canada (where some of this had to have been shot, given all the Canadian actors, right? I'm just guessing though...) to Chicago. They even filmed some of the show there.

I wonder if it's an upmarket thing.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Open Source Idiom posted:

In terms of adaptation, I think it's kinda fascinating that they moved the action of the novel from the more affordable Canada (where some of this had to have been shot, given all the Canadian actors, right? I'm just guessing though...) to Chicago. They even filmed some of the show there.

I wonder if it's an upmarket thing.

I had to go to wikipedia to check, because I figured they moved it due to covid and the US being an easier market to shoot in at the time. It started in Chicago, then they went North to Ontario due to the pandemic. They just pretended it was America. Weird that they were allowed in.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

What a brilliant, beautiful end to a brilliant, beautiful series. And like people above have said, one that I think I need to watch again to catch all the ways it illustrates all the connections between its cast. Though I think I need some time first, and I do think I want to read the novel as well before rewatching it.

Man, that final scene.... And the phone call scene, too. The phone call, her dream, and the shot of the warmly-lit room the next morning, was an amazing sequence.

I have to say, as a fan of their comedy work, I never thought I would watch a show where David Cross is blown up by a child suicide bomber, or Timothy Simons slowly dies while helping save people from a pandemic. Though him dying of the flu does track with his Veep character.

I do agree with the comments about Tyler, but ultimately it's not enough to detract from the show for me. Or how weird Enrico Colantoni's character was with no explanation at all, but that was definitely a feature, not a bug.

Did anyone manage to pause on the timeline they show on the wall of the airport, with all the years between the pandemic and the present? I'm curious at what some of the dates on it were.

On a bit of an aside, has anyone read the post-apocalyptic comic Low? I only read the first volume or two, but between the plot and the art, the Station Eleven comic kept making me think of it. And looking it up now, it looks like Low ended at least partly due to the pandemic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, that was loving amazing. I love the way they shot all the stuff in this finale, with the fire. And the entire back half of the show was very emotional -- though I've been alternating this show and episodes of The Underground Railroad, and my emotions are loving raw. Glad this had a happy ending, was really surprised that basically everyone walked out of this fine.

Lotta really good miniseries out right now. (Lotta poo poo ones too though)

Chairman Capone posted:

On a bit of an aside, has anyone read the post-apocalyptic comic Low? I only read the first volume or two, but between the plot and the art, the Station Eleven comic kept making me think of it. And looking it up now, it looks like Low ended at least partly due to the pandemic.

I've read the first arc, but I'll be honest, the colours they chose in those issues, plus the decision to make the colours bleed into each other, made those issues incredibly hard to read. I barely remember anything about it, even though I like Remender's writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone in the AV Club comments said that Tyler mentioned the child suicide bombers weren’t his idea, and they did it of their own volition while he was incapacitated post-stabbing. I guess this was in episode 6? I must have missed it but he did do a lot of mumbling in that episode. It does make sense, their leader has just been stabbed and they’re on edge and have been drinking the Kool-Aid too much and interpret Tyler’s teachings in that way. Plus that could be the impetus for his face turn, as he sees what his teachings have done.

Commenters also theorised that the girl with the bag of mines Kirsten talks to at the end was the ringleader of that whole thing, and that by reaching out to her she stopped her from blowing more stuff up. Gotta say, it makes a lot of sense, and gives us another great connection.

Basically I’m pretty cool with that side of it now.