Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Is the Portland Air National guard special or something? I live in the city and occasionally see the jets. I have always assumed that every state had something similar ( lol America's military budget)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Tiger Crazy posted:

Is the Portland Air National guard special or something? I live in the city and occasionally see the jets. I have always assumed that every state had something similar ( lol America's military budget)

The seaboard ANG’s are pretty busy since 911 due to NORAD missions and maritime intercepts.

However in this Let’s Play we chose units that are not super flashy but would be your standard deployed units to missions like this. Oregon ANG is a pretty busy one and they have the Eagles DCS uses.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

skooma512 posted:

You're probably going to want some time to familiarize yourself with the plane and do your key mapping anyway

Tomorrow is a snow day :science:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Also for any grog nerd or sim nerd or mil nerd following along here, if there’s someone who would like to partake in a non flying capability, such as simply a planner for the flights, or as a writer for the story, or to help us sort out unit compositions and historical SAM sites in the area during the war, we have a secret discord group for behind the scenes planning.

But anyone could also volunteer to be an air tasking officer or a strike planner, and you get info from us, and you then, with just help of draw tools and this forum, make plans for the plane nerds to fly to.

Hit us up!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Vahakyla posted:

“Enfield 1”, Georgian Air Force, Georgia
Mixed Aviation Squadron
Su-25T, x4
Role: Strike
Flight Lead: Arbitrary

Georgian Air Power isn’t too strong, but able to hold its own in the small country. The Air Force was its own branch until 2010, when it was dissolved and absorbed by the Land Forces due to its small size. The Georgian Frogfoots are obviously here because it’s Georgia after all. They’re a capable plane too, but most importantly it is a free plane. The Su-25T Frogfoot is included in DCS for free for everyone. To test out the game and partake, you don’t have to spend any money! But even if it is free, it is enjoyed by many veterans, too.

Dandywalken posted:

I’m Dandywalken, and for the purposes of this Let’s Play, I will be the officer in Georgian Air Force, representing Aviation and Air Defence Command, and it relying information to the Air Task Force 69. Flight leads may ask me questions if something is unclear, and you might or might not get an answer. When real units are named, their composition and capabilities will try to match reality as closely as possible! The ingame time corresponds with reality and for example moon phases are reflected.

We’d prefer game pertinent-questions to be asked on the thread rather than discord so that people can read it.

First Intelligence Snapshot:
From: Aviation and Air Defence Command of the Defence Forces of Georgia
Time: 0415hrs, 01 August, 2008
METAR: OVC9/16 Broken OVC23-24/31-33 VIS 10SM

Georgian Special Warfare operators near the border have photographed multiple Russian armored and mechanized columns headed towards Georgia proper from the towns of Gali and Repo-Etsen. They are assumed to be heading towards the six major river crossings of Patara Enguri river that are circled here in the picture. This would enable them access to Georgia proper. Patara Enguri separates the autonomous Abkhazia from Georgia itself.
From west to east, they are the Anakha bridge, Meore-Otobaya Bridge, Zeni-Koki Bridge, the Rike bridge, Pahulani Bridge, and the dam of Inguri Dam.
The precise coordinates, and where this map was taken from, can be found either ingame maps, or this online map tool that has the coordinates in lower right.

https://dcsmaps.com/caucasus/openlayers

Current ROE:
Air-2-Air: Do not fire on any aircraft that is in Russian airspace. Any non-friendly airplane over Abkhazia and Georgia has to be confirmed hostile through Air Battle Management.
Air-2-Ground: Military vehicles that are near, or about to cross, the bridges that are marked, or already on Georgian side are to be destroyed. No cluster munitions due to civilian considerations. We do NOT want to destroy the bridges. The enemy units will be destroyed before or right after the bridge.

Safe airports: Any airport is supported on Georgian side for emergency landing, unless Senaki-Kolkhi is threatened by these forces.

On behalf of Georgia, I would like to extend our gratitude to our allies. We truly appreciate your commitment to our cause.

As lead of Enfield, might I recommend the following:

The great speed and visual acuity of Devil and Jedi flights would allow them to recon and engage SA-15 and other air defenses at less risk, and respond more rapidly to sudden advances than Enfield's Su-25Ts. If subsequent intelligence shows a main body of the enemy, Devil/Jedi could soften them up before Enfield arrives to the front. If the enemy is more dispersed, Enfield can split into two elements.

Tentative waypoints for Enfield:

1 - Rally at the head of the lake
2 - Ditch fuel tanks near Kutaisi for recovery
3 - Rally over Senaki-Kolkhi until ordered to attack
4 - Arbitrary waypoint at the front (can be changed to main force location[s])
n+1 - Kobuleti in the event of needing to divert

After the attack, Enfield will refuel at a forward airbase (Kutaisi / Senaki-Kolkhi) before returning to the starting airfield.

Tentative loadout.

R-60M, S-13, Kh-25ML, Vikhr, Fuel, Mercury LLTV
Kh-25ML have a bit more range than the Vikhrs, should be used to hit any anti-air assets not seen/destroyed by Devil/Jedi. Mercury pod may help with spotting and identification with the low sun and clouds. For our Su-25T Aces: stations 2/6/10 are discretionary (no cluster munitions).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

franzkafka posted:

The MiG's engines

also, they stink

no really, I've seen a MiG-29UB do a taxi and takeoff and it was a distinctive smell compared to the other planes going up that day

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 7, 2022

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Tiger Crazy posted:

Not every state, but along the borders there's multiple interceptor commands. I live near Barnes AFB in MA and I see the F-15C's fairly often because they're in charge of intercept over the northeastern US. They're really damned cool. The base just got approved to upgrade the facilities to handle F-35s, so I'm looking forward to seeing those in the sky.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Defensive lines have been established along the river North of Zugdidi. Intel suggests the Russians will probably seek to divert and encircle the city. Georgian forces, consisting of T-72s, BTRs, and some SHORAD elements are deployed Northwest of the city on the island; it is implied that the intention of the Georgian unit is to secure the island as a base of fire and distribute its forces to engage elements attempting to bypass the city with their own flanking fire. Georgian intentions are to keep all bridges intact.

ELINT has detected no emissions lately, but it is known that an S-300 is in Sochi. While it does not cover the expected point of attack, its defensive role protecting the airfield will undoubtably be covered by Russian SHORAD attached to the attacking units. At minimum, 4 Tunguskas along the front. Up to 8, if they are deemed needed by Russian forces as a reaction to our air-buildup in the region.

The Roki tunnel stands as the main point of land reinforcement for Russian units. Keeping in mind the 3:1 odds doctrinally recommended, the Russians do not have enough units deployed to initiate an offensive at this time. The numbers currently are in the area of 1.5:1.

Tu-22 reconnaisance aircraft are doing routine patrols along the border. There have been no attempts at escalation by designating them with radars, as they are entirely on their side of the border still. Heliborne flights are routine, and no border probing has been reported.

Black Sea fleet elements are preparing to sortie, expectingly to intimidate the much smaller Georgian Navy which has not left port yet. The Moskva class flagship is undergoing the fueling process.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tiger Crazy posted:

Not every state ANG has a fighter unit. Oregon ANG's F-15s flying out of PDX, for instance, cover Washington as well, because the Washington ANG doesn't have fighters and (I'm 90% sure) there are no longer fighter units stationed at JBLM up near Tacoma. A few years back when that ground staffer stole a plane from SeaTac, they scrambled F-15s from PDX for the potential intercept.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
To accomodate some more slots for more players, the Spanish Air Force, Ejército del Aire, will send two F-18s to the mission, from the Ala 12, or Fighter Wing 12.

“Devil 2”, Ejército del Aire, Spain
Ala de Caza nº 12
F-18C x2
Role: Air-2-Air, Strike
Flight Lead: Snapshot

These Hornets are similarly non-naval capable as the Finnish ones, and have been flown to hell and back ( a couple times) with the Spanish Air Force. Spanish Air Force has flown these hornets from early 1990s in the Yugoslav wars, various peacekeeping missions, NATO Air policing, and the inventory has only been some 76 airplanes, despite their tempo being high. In this story's time, year 2008, these Hornets were effectively clapped out. By 2003 already, Ala 12's Hornets had clocked a combined 100,000 flight hours. The unit would later on assist in the enforcement of Libyan no fly zone in 2011. The Spanish Air Force does not have any early warning planes, and openly relies on its allies for those. Today, in reality, the Hornets of Ala 12 are literally falling apart and their service is characterized by obscene downtime.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 7, 2022

franzkafka
Jun 30, 2006

kafkabot mk. II: stronger, faster & more alienated
Jagdgeschwader 73 - Pontiac 3

Tasking:

Due to the range limitations of the Fulcrum in comparison to the other CAP flights, we will be departing Tbilisi first. We will rally on approach to and land at Kutaisi, refuel our internal tanks and replenish the drop tanks. This will allow us to loiter longer at our next waypoint, which will be a BARCAP centered 15nm in-country from the city of Zugdidi, directly due south of the Rike bridge, labeled "SALT LAKE" above.

The CAP flights operating on our flanks can converge on us in a pincer in the event red fighters or attack aircraft violate the border in support of a ground attack on the central border region. In the event one of the other Pontiac elements is engaged over Georgia before that occurs, we will shift that direction along the border and support them.

There is little to offer in terms of terrain masking around Zugdidi, so we will be operating in Low Georgian Orbit at angels 45, to stretch our fuel tanks and get the best mileage out of our medium-range R27ET missiles. Once the ABM has confirmed red air in our corner of Georgian airspace, we will launch our medium-range AAMs, then turn off any incoming bogeys defensively, dragging them towards whichever Pontiac flight is closest. After our buddies have engaged with their longer-ranged a2a weapons, we can turn back in and push right up in their business for some close-in heater action, because at that point the Russians will either be totally defensive or a fireball.

Stores:
I will take 2 R27ET medium-range infrared missiles and 4 short-range R73 helmet-queued infrared missiles. My wingman is a vicious and experienced ex-soviet aviator of Enigma's Dynamic Cold War Server fame, completely competent to choose his loadout. Depending on developing intel, I might exchange the middle pylon R73's for 20-shot S-8 80mm unguided rocket pods, FAB general-purpose unguided bombs, or the Big Boi S-24B 240mm unguided rockets (shown below). This is not preferable and would only be a last resort backup, as unguided munitions are not optimal for the tight urban environment of this mission.

Comms:
We will be using SRS channel 266.00.

Off-Boresight Helmet Queued R73 launch:
https://imgur.com/a/nIuJGz8
Context: This guy was 3/4 the way behind me in a low-altitude turn fight after I wasted his buddy with an R27ET at the merge and defended. You can disable autopilot dampening in the MiG-29G which allows for some extreme maneuvering, as you can see from my pilot just about blacking out as I cut the bogey's circle. You lose situational awareness in a maneuver like that, but if you know where they are in a flat turn against you on the deck, it's not rocket science to guess where they're going to be when you let off the stick and regain human vision. The helmet sight is locked up when the circle flashes and of course, obviously, the missile knew from the getgo where it was.

franzkafka fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 7, 2022

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

franzkafka posted:

the missile knew from the getgo where it was.

Because it knew where it wasn’t?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Also for any grog nerd or sim nerd or mil nerd following along here, if there’s someone who would like to partake in a non flying capability, such as simply a planner for the flights, or as a writer for the story, or to help us sort out unit compositions and historical SAM sites in the area during the war, we have a secret discord group for behind the scenes planning.

But anyone could also volunteer to be an air tasking officer or a strike planner, and you get info from us, and you then, with just help of draw tools and this forum, make plans for the plane nerds to fly to.

Hit us up!

This sounds cool as I'm a terrible pilot (and in the middle of house remodeling). How can I help? I'm in the Discord already.

Taps
Aug 14, 2009
Pontiac 2-3, F-14 Element Lead KingCrab, checking in:

I've got my bronzer, toner and oil here, ready to soak up the rays and play with the boys on those hot Georgian beaches.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

mashed_penguin posted:

To immediately start arguing I'd suggest not the A10 purely because its not as popular and not used as much in goonops. It is very cool and fun though :v:

A10 might actually be a good option for inclusion in the mid-week helicopter ops Vaha was talking about. Especially if there's going to be any "search" involved in the search and rescue.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Jarmak posted:

A10 might actually be a good option for inclusion in the mid-week helicopter ops Vaha was talking about. Especially if there's going to be any "search" involved in the search and rescue.

The A-10 is the only module I own. It takes me 30 mins to start it up, then I take off and get immediately shot down! :suicide:

I just want to make gun go brrrrr

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
A-10A for maximum ease.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Dandywalken posted:

The Moskva class flagship is undergoing the fueling process.

Weren't those scrapped in the 1990s? Though a heli-carrier is much more the speed of this campaign than something like the Kuznetsov or the Pyotr Velikiy.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentleman. NATO Air Command has appointed me to be the overall EU-NATO GEORGIA Joint Force Air Component Commander. Now, some of you may be wondering how the theater commander could come from a NATO member country without an Air Force. This is exceptional question. But we'll move on.

Flight Leads, I intend to work closely with you to determine capabilities and constraints so that we can maximize the NATO position. As you are all well aware, the theater is tight, hard, and altogether dry. If we can function in a professional manner it will prevent it from getting wet and sloppy. Our primary goal is to complete the mission while absolutely minimizing friendly casualties. Member nations have no tolerance for high losses, nor do I. Nor can we destroy civilian aircraft or property. That said, if we happen to accidentally degrade a goat farm, or strike an empty parking lot, well, our PR folks in Nato Joint PR and Damage Control (NJPRDC) can smooth that over. But a civilian airliner or merchant traffic is a nope. No. Not happening.

The ROE in the AOO is tight. Unless directly authorized in the mission brief, TOO (Targets of Opportunity) are not an opportunity.

JACME (Joint Air Command Mission Evidence)

Blunt the armored advance near the Abkhazian border without going over the border. (Thor's Hammer) NATO seems function best when there's no one shooting back at us, so we will also degrade SAM systems. Heavily. (Loki's Goat) Finally we will intercept and destroy any Russian aircraft that stray across the border. (Odin's Eyeball)

Task Force 69 Team Leads, I will be in contact in the near future to work out the upcoming mission. I will rely on your skill, professionalism, and attention to detial. This is a multi-national team so the primary language will be English, secondary is Icelandic. Takk.

This is not just a mission to protect Georgia but to prove that NATO is a strong, robust, well oiled, machine. I trust all of you are also strong, robust and well oiled machines too.

Further briefings and information to come later at the TNCTOC (Temporary NATO Command Total Operations Command).

EUNGJFACC OUT

ooc : Hi folks. I'm a CMO nerd, and a DCS newbie. I intend on working closely with folks in this thread to develop mission plans and such. I'd like to keep as much conversation here, in the thread, as possible. Discord can move so quick and lack permanence, which can make it hard to follow along. If I'm loving something up please tell me, I probably don't know, or it's because I'm RP'ing as an Air Commander from a NATO member state without an air force...

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Greetings! I'm gently caress "gently caress SNEEP" Sneep, lead of the Jedi 1 flight. I've taken over for Jabby as he is currently under investigation and has been reassigned to Air Battle Management. We are flying F-16C Vipers (#vipenation) from the 335th Tiger Squadron, Hellenic Air Force, Greece. We are primarily tasked with strike missions and will be employing a wide array of munitions to accomplish these goals. This includes laser guided bombs, cluster bombs, guided rockets (mavericks), unguided rockets, various sizes of dumb bombs, GPS guided versions of those bombs (JDAMs), as well as a long-range glide bomb (JSOWs). We're gonna blow some poo poo up :clint:

We will also be flying around with some air-to-air capabilities with room for up to 4 missiles of the AIM-120 and AIM-9 variety, but we hopefully should not have to use them if the other flights do their drat job!!! :argh:

For the mission on the 15th, our flight plan is as follows (see map posted above by Arbitrary for bridge name reference):

Waypoint 1 - Tbilisi Airport. Takeoff and RTB, as well as rearming happens here.
Waypoint 2 - Kutaisi Airport. We will orbit here after takeoff and wait for our orders to approach the border. We can also refuel here but NOT rearm.
Waypoint 3 - TARGET "SALT LAKE" (Rike Bridge)
Waypoint 4 - TARGET "SYDNEY" (Pahulani Bridge)
Waypoint 5 - TARGET "NAGANO" (Inguri Dam)

ROE is as follows (from Intelligence Officer Dandy):

Dandywalken posted:

Air-2-Air: Do not fire on any aircraft that is in Russian airspace. Any non-friendly airplane over Abkhazia and Georgia has to be confirmed hostile through Air Battle Management.
Air-2-Ground: Military vehicles that are near, or about to cross, the bridges that are marked, or already on Georgian side are to be destroyed. No cluster munitions due to civilian considerations. We do NOT want to destroy the bridges. The enemy units will be destroyed before or right after the bridge.

Armament:
The only restriction we have on armament at the moment is no cluster bomb munitions due to civilians near the target location. This leaves mavericks, GBUs, rockets, and dumb bombs. Personally, I will be taking 6xGBU-12s due to the precision nature of this strike mission as we don't want to damage the bridge or dam.

Since we will likely have a full flight, I will assign a 1 member to each target area. I will loiter between them and support as necessary or fill gaps when one needs to RTB to rearm.

Goon luck, and goon speed :patriot::patriot::patriot:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

habeasdorkus posted:

Weren't those scrapped in the 1990s? Though a heli-carrier is much more the speed of this campaign than something like the Kuznetsov or the Pyotr Velikiy.

Yes, my intelligence operative who is currently embedded with the Black Sea Fleet (Jae is his name, Korean dude, you cant miss em. Sticks out like a sore thumb, doesnt speak Russian) reported incorrectly: the ship class is Slava, her name is Moskva.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I have just been informed Jae has been compromised, and taken into custody by Russian authorities.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Y.G.B.S.M.
YOU'VE GOTTA BE making GBS threads ME!

WEASEL FLIGHT BRIEFING

ASSETS: F-16C BLK 50 X4

MISSION: SEAD. Command has ordered air strikes against Russian ground forces in the vicinity of 6 Bridges crossing the Patara Enguri River that forms the border between Georgia and Abkhazia. Our task is to defend strike assets against enemy air defenses.

THREATS: Current known threats are SA-19 Tugunska combined short-range mobile SAM/AAA systems accompanying the ground forces. A SA-10 is at Sochi but Command believes we will be safely out of its range as long as we don't stray North of our AO. Other possible threat systems include:

Radar: SA-15 Tor, SA-8 Osa
Optical: SA-19 Tugunska
IR: SA-9/SA-13 Strela, SA-7 Igla
AAA: ZSU-23/4 Shilka

PLAN: "Shooter-Cover" Strategy. Divide the flight into two IR Maverick-armed planes (Shooters) who will fly low and search and destroy enemy air defences, and two HARM carrying planes (Covers) who will loiter at medium-high altitude to engage pop-up radar SAM threats and any airborne threats that leak past the CAP. Odd-numbered Weasels (1 and 3) will take Mavericks, while Even-numbered Weasels (2 and 4) will take HARMs.

LOADOUT:
Weasel 1/3:
AGM-65D*6 (TER)
AIM-9X*4
External Wing Tanks
PODS: ECM/HTS/TGP

Weasel 2/4:
AGM-88*4
AIM-120C*4
Center Fuel Tank
PODS: HTS

NOTE: Weasels 1/3 only have Sidewinders and 2/4 only have AMRAAMs. Weasels 2/4 have less fuel (to carry more HARMs)

EXECUTION: Takeoff in 10 second intervals. Climb out at 350 kts / M .80 to 25k ft. Cruise @ M .80. Upon arrival to the AO we will split into pairs, with Weasels 3 and 4 patrolling the 3 Northern bridges, and Weasels 1 and 2 patrolling the 3 Southern Bridges. HARM Weasels loiter at 25k ft, max conserve (250 kts IAS). Maverick Weasels drop below the cloud deck and scout areas around the bridges with TGP. Each Mav/HARM pair will coordinate between themselves - ideally use the HARMs against radar threats and the Mavericks for AAA/IR SAMs. However, rapid destruction of threats and flight safety take priority over min/maxing weapon efficiency.

ROUTING: Fly direct to the AO to conserve fuel. Mission maker - please place WPs at each bridge for flight coordination.

AA Contingency: Weasels 2/4 are to defend Weasels 1/3 against airborne threats. Shoot Hot Aspect bandits within 20 nm, shoot Any Aspect bandit within 15 nm.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 7, 2022

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dandywalken posted:

I have just been informed Jae has been compromised, and taken into custody by Russian authorities.

I'm sure they'll release him once they get fully exposed to his… Jaeness.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Is there any tanker support for weasel flight ?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
APPENDIX: FACE BOOK OF EVIL RUSSIAN THREATS. MOBILE EDITION

These are all highly mobile systems designed to keep up with the forward elements of any army advance. They are all self-contained units aka TELARs (Transporter Erector Launcher and Radar) capable of functioning completely independently, but can also be tied to a SBORKA / DOG EAR search radar for increased range and effectiveness.

ADVANTAGE: Numbers and mobility - they're cheap, fast, and can hide anywhere. Several of the models are fully amphibious.

DISADVANTAGE: Limited range. In general threat ranges are around 6-8 nm with a ceiling of 15-20,000 ft, bigger threat bubbles for the newer systems of course. If you can stay high you're basically immune, but if you're a helicopter or you have to come down low to attack, they're a big threat.

COUNTER-TACTICS: Every system here can be out-ranged by a Maverick or "plinked" by a LGB from high altitude. The difficult part is finding them in the first place. HARMs are also an option, but you have very limited reaction times.

SA-9/SA-13 - Old (wheels)/New (tracks) version of mobile IR SAMS. Radar for search and ranging only. NO LAUNCH WARNING!

SA-8/SA-15 - Old (wheels)/New (tracks) version of mobile RADAR SAMs. The SA-15 is a particularly dangerous beast, can shoot down HARMS/Mavericks! Fire multiples against it!

ZSU-23/4 - The Zeus. Pretty much obsolete but don't tell him that. Quad 23mm autocannons will still ruin your day if you stray within a mile or so.

SA-19 - The modern replacement for the Zeus. Radar used for search only. Missile is optically guided, and cannot be spoofed by countermeasures. Also has twin 30mm guns.

SA-7 Igla - If you're flying along and you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, an Igla got you, and you're already dead!

SBORKA / DOG-EAR - Functions as a search radar / command post for coordinating other mobile SAMs. Has no armament itself. Don't waste a missile on him!

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 7, 2022

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Alright ramblers, let’s get rambling.

PONTIAC 1 FLIGHT BRIEFING - Day 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQMvM7WNXZY

Element 1:
Pontiac 1-1: ninjahedgehog aka wrathcough
Pontiac 1-2: HerpicleOmicron5

Element 2:
Pontiac 1-3: cwapface
Pontiac 1-4: jzilla

Good morning ladies and gentleman, and welcome to Georgia. Here’s the current sitrep and your orders for this morning’s sortie.

The Russians are moving several motorized rifle regiments across the border between Abkhazia and Georgia in an unprovoked act of aggression, and it’s our job to show them the door. The Italians, Greeks, Finns and Spaniards are currently scrambling to knock out six bridges across the Patara Enguri River to cut off their advance.

Our job, along with the rest of the Pontiac flights, is to sanitize the airspace in anticipation of the strike mission and ensure air supremacy while the other flights conduct their tasks. To this end, the Pontiac flights will launch from Tblisi at the head of the package and establish combat air patrols (CAP) along the frontline. Pontiac 1’s AO ALFA is the area between objective SALT LAKE (waypoint 3) and objective NAGANO (waypoint 5). Pontiac 2 will be in charge of securing AO BRAVO between objective ATHENS and objective BEIJING. Pontiac 3’s flight, consisting of Luftwaffe MiG-29s, does not have the endurance of Pontiac 1 or 2 and will be operating as a quick reaction force (QRF) to fill in any gaps that might arise in the other Pontiac flights’ coverage.

Pontiac flights will rendezvous after takeoff at waypoint 2 and flow to their AOs when given the green light by the Air Battle Manager (ABM). Pontiac 1 will move to Waypoint 3 and establish a racetrack between waypoints 3 and 5, marked above. At the ABM’s discretion, however, Pontiac flights may be ordered to shift away from the frontline if the Russian SAM threat is too heavy. In this case, Pontiac flights will loiter outside the threat ring until Weasel flight can suppress any air defenses.

Waypoint 2 will be our emergency refueling point at Kutaisi; however, only homeplate at Tbilisi International Airport carries more ordnance for rearming.

PRELIMINARY THREAT ASSESSMENT

Russian air is expected to include MiG-29 Fulcrums and Su-27 Flankers, both of which carry the extremely sneaky R-27ET/AA-10 Alamo-D long-range infrared missile. You’ll get no warning when this has launched on you, which means we need to preemptively defend. Max effective range is about 20 nautical miles, so if we close to that range and the bandit has not gone defensive, assume the bandit has launched on you and begin defensive manuevers.

The other major threat will be the R-77/AA-12 Adder active radar homing missile, which is carried by the MiG-29. These also will have no launch warning when fired in track-while-scan (TWS) mode, but instead will only show up on your radar warning receiver (RWR) after the missile’s own radar turns on, at which point it will likely be too late. We’ll also need to preemptively defend against those at about 25-30 NM if the bandit is not defensive itself.

In both cases, the key to victory will be controlling the terms of the engagement. At high altitude and full burner, we greatly outrange both of these threats. Recommended ROE is to fire at maximum range and then crank until the bandit is within the no-escape zone, at which point turn hot and fire again. The first missile in all likelihood will not kill the bandit, but it will force him to go defensive and limit his own firing opportunity – the second missile will be the killshot.

Enemy forces are also reported to include the MiG-23 Flogger, which is a much lower-priority threat, and the Su-24 Fencer, which poses almost no threat at all. Pontiac 1 craft may engage at their discretion.

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

Do not fire on any aircraft that is in Russian airspace. Any non-friendly airplane over Abkhazia and Georgia must be confirmed hostile through AWACS Wind Maker before engaging.

ARMAMENT

Recommended loadout is 6 AIM-120C AMRAAMs and 2 AIM-9M Sidewinders, along with three fuel tanks. Pilots may swap out up to 2 AMRAAMs with AIM-7MH Sparrows at their discretion, if they feel this is a safer option when firing near friendly aircraft. We’ll also be bringing 3 fuel tanks each, with some caveats. In the DCS Eagle, there's no way to manually select which tanks to drain first, but LCTRL+W drops the wing tanks and keeps the centerline, so we'll do that as we fence in for the first engagement. Centerline alone will still give us pretty good performance in BVR engagements, but obviously drop that one too if we merge. Just make sure not to hit LCTRL+W more than once or it'll start dropping stores.

That does it for today’s briefing. Good luck, pilots.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 7, 2022

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jae has been released from Russian custody, and told to never return.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ninjahedgehog posted:

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

Do not fire on any aircraft that is in Russian airspace. Any non-friendly airplane over Abkhazia and Georgia must be confirmed hostile through AWACS Wind Maker before engaging.

Do we still have to confirm hostile if we've been fired upon, or are we clear to engage in self-defence?

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Weasel 1-2, "Big Soda".

Which points do you want the HARM carriers to loiter over and are we allowed to cross the front line?

mashed_penguin posted:

Also this.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Do we still have to confirm hostile if we've been fired upon, or are we clear to engage in self-defence?

This is a great question for Yooper, but I imagine you are allowed to return fire if fired upon.

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

Will there be medals? Medals are very important.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Catzilla posted:

The A-10 is the only module I own. It takes me 30 mins to start it up, then I take off and get immediately shot down! :suicide:

I just want to make gun go brrrrr

No shame in using the auto start sequence (Windows Key + Home IIRC). I can do the A-10 start up from memory, but as I've bought more modules there's no way I'm going to remember them all on top of MFS2020 so I stopped trying to cram startup sequences. The Mi-8's startup is hilariously complex because it's meant to be done by at least 2 people.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Steak posted:

Weasel 1-2, "Big Soda".

Which points do you want the HARM carriers to loiter over and are we allowed to cross the front line?

For HARMs fly a loose orbit near the middle of your assigned area (stay on the Georgian side of the river) while watching your HTS. You should be able to hit everything without having to fly around too much

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im going to make an A-10C startup vid, it takes <5 minutes total if you Fast Align rather than full.

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Possibly a confused chimpanzee. Approach with caution and snacks.

mashed_penguin posted:

tankers are available for all flights. They will be racetracking (approx) between Batumi and Khashuri on NE <-> SW tracks.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The Air Goons SOP isn't a strict ruleset. It's a guide. However, it is mandatory for each participant to read, since giving your best good faith effort is not only beneficial to mission success, but to the enjoyment of your peers who are putting in a lot of effort and time.
Make sure you all read it: https://www.airgoons.com/w/Standard_Operating_Procedures

Now, if you don't know something there, or something doesn't make sense, ask your flight lead. It's fine.
If you fail your task and drill the earth with your jalopy, that's fine too. War is hell. As long as you didn't decide to separate from your flight for the lulz, or ignore the ROE for fun.

Some game consideration points:

-Tbilisi is the place to get NATO weapons, and endless jet fuel. No other airfield will offer that. Kutaisi has limited fuel, but no weapons.
-That means that if you end your mission somewhere else than Tbilisi, that's it. Your mission will resume from that airport in the next mission, with limited selection of weapons that were transported on trucks.
-Saving yourself and your imaginary internet life is important. Always prioritize self preservation.
-Protect Georgia. Jettison weapons and fuel tanks over farmland or water, not big cities. Don't bomb buildings, or risk collateral damage for no reason.

A practical example: when players are spawning into their cockpits, Tbilisi International Apron 1, Terminal 2, will have 30 airplanes starting up and ready to go. If you simply taxi without waiting for ATC or your flight lead to give you permission, and plow into the planes in front of you, you just ruined the game for a bunch of people.

Lastly: for gently caress's sake have fun, and if you don't know, ask your flight lead.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to this all. It's gonna be dope.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 7, 2022

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

deadseedinside posted:

reserved for dicks

I have a friend whose brother was a Growler NFO flying out of Whidbey Island when that incident took place. His sense of humor and capacity for really funny poo poo is such that when I saw the story, I said "Oh, poo poo, that was him," and I texted her and she said it wasn't, but that mine was about the 15th text she got saying "Was that him"?

It wasn't, but every year he sends out Christmas ornaments to friends and family and that year he sent out this:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You may aggressively pursue Russian aircraft that have crossed the Russian-Georgian border. We do not want to be baited into Russian airspace, nor do we want to be pulled into heavy SAM cover (which will be near the border). So I'm going to give discretion to the Flight Leads and/or the ABM (Kilonum-Jabby). If they are lobbing out of kinematic distance, then let them lob, but do not pursue into Russian airspace. Ideally you draw them out, this will make things easier at the UN / NATO conferences.

However we don't want them to toe the line and think they are immune from fire. If they are walking the border and engaging in a very hostile manner then you may engage if your Flight Lead gives the order. But please be mindful of SAM cover and borders.

WT Wally posted:

Will there be medals? Medals are very important.

Of course! Why else would I sign up, I mean, yes, these are great for reasons.

Dandywalken : Do you have anything to add from the intel side? Do you think our border engagement plan will lead to difficulties in later missions?

I'm seeing some great flight plans coming out of the leads, great work! Keep it up, I'm not going to tell you how to run your flights, you are the experts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Phanatic posted:

I have a friend whose brother was a Growler NFO flying out of Whidbey Island when that incident took place. His sense of humor and capacity for really funny poo poo is such that when I saw the story, I said "Oh, poo poo, that was him," and I texted her and she said it wasn't, but that mine was about the 15th text she got saying "Was that him"?

It wasn't, but every year he sends out Christmas ornaments to friends and family and that year he sent out this:

Lmao that ornament is amazing.