Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Bicyclops posted:

There are clearly too many logistics and questions involved for this to be Occam's razor.

Once again,

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Occam's razor holds that, if you have two competing ideas or solutions to a problem, the simplest one is the correct answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Quoting the definition at me doesn't change the fact that it's not the simplest solution. I think youre ignoring the more... concrete evidence.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Bicyclops posted:

Quoting the definition at me doesn't change the fact that it's not the simplest solution. I think youre ignoring the more... concrete evidence.

It's a drat sight simpler than "shags a Zygon" or whatever other convoluted scenarios you hypothesized, but I also think we've wrung enough puns out of this particular slab to last this thread a good long while :v:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Even though I enjoyed Eve of the Daleks overall, Nick might be one of the worst one off characters ever. He's extremely creepy and stalkerish towards Sarah, yet the episode acts like this is an endearing character trait. His unhealthy fixation with women is played like its cute and quirky, and he gets the girl at the end.

The long pauses and awkward dialogue didn't help either. Not to say awkward characters can't be endearing - Osgood is great (mainly because Ingrid Oliver actually plays her with some depth), but it felt super tone deaf. That and his line about how you 'can't beat a rasta' sounded incredibly 'white writer trying to understand how black people talk.txt'.

Yet Dan and Diane, two characters who actually cared about each other, and seemed to have a genuine relationship and chemistry, got split up by the end of the narrative because...alien invasion made him run a bit late?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

OldMemes posted:

Even though I enjoyed Eve of the Daleks overall, Nick might be one of the worst one off characters ever. He's extremely creepy and stalkerish towards Sarah, yet the episode acts like this is an endearing character trait. His unhealthy fixation with women is played like its cute and quirky, and he gets the girl at the end.

It's a common trope in fiction: a guy who's obsessed with a woman, instead of being rightfully shunned as a creep, is lauded for not "giving up" on her and eventually winning her heart. See also: Rory.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's a drat sight simpler than "shags a Zygon" or whatever other convoluted scenarios you hypothesized, but I also think we've wrung enough puns out of this particular slab to last this thread a good long while :v:

I demand satisfaction from all the Team Blowjob people. Someone make a thread in Debate and Discussion where they respect evidence and citations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/feminindemiurge/status/1478858550994632704?s=21

https://twitter.com/amyveeres/status/1478868720235786244?s=21

:vince:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Vinylshadow posted:

Forty trailer

Cybermen, Ice Warriors, and Adric, oh my

And Christopher Timothy

Hoping for Tricki Woo for the trifecta.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Whittaker is the worst nuwho doctor by far. As many ppl have said its definitely not the actors fault, just absolutely dogshit writing and direction.

I can't think of a single defining moment or any kind of character trait for her... besides stuff i remember the pilot? Genuinely dont know. I can name like 5 for the others

Anyway heres hoping we can get the First Interesting Woman Doctor directed+written by a showrunner that doesnt make you pine for even the worst of moffats era

Dongicus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 6, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't think the phrase "worst Doctor" even makes sense, is it like "15th best Doctor" for pessimists or something else? Surely the worst Doctors are characters who aren't even the Doctor or even on the show at all and there are easily dozens of such people.

edit:

How incredibly bizarre. Does Eve have a story outside the narratives made between the player fleet dramas? Who are the two characters in that image? Can you walk around as a person or anything in EVE, or is this just gunna be a Dalek spaceship thrown in some random place? The comments from EVE fans reveal a lot of anger with the company and they seem equally lost as to what this is meant to be.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 7, 2022

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Just watched "Eve of the Daleks" and I really enjoyed it. It's been forever that I've found a Dalek remotely intimidating (maybe because they overplay it so much?), but with it's super aggression and (and that awesome gatling laser, it works so well) - I found myself creeping towards the edge of my seat! What a great episode!

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Bicyclops posted:

I don't know. Maybe they make out, or she croons ELO in a sexy voice while he jerks off, or she watches while he has sex with a Zygon that's taking her shape, or any other number of cringeworthy scenarios. The way she's cemented in, it doesn't seem realistic that she could blow him, even if he is holding the slab and even if he has a pretty tiny wiener, and, furthermore, the way she says "Oh, let's not get into all that" seems to imply that it is more complicated and weird than a blowjob.

I have the solution.

Ball gargling. She gargles the balls.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

How incredibly bizarre. Does Eve have a story outside the narratives made between the player fleet dramas?

Yeah, that's only one aspect of the game. There are plenty of people who do only NPC based missions and such. They're fairly rudimentary compared to something even slightly more narrative driven (like WoW) but the game has big events every so often of which this is just the latest one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I tend to tune out a bit during Daleks eps just because they are so loud and always say the same things but I've done so many groundhogs day movies and games recently anyway that I was happy seeing a Dalek version. Fun adventure, big Doctory speech, good. Aisling Bea was also a good fit. The Yaz crush was a little odd to pull now of all times since their main relationship lately is The Doctor lying, being dismissive, and refusing to share information with her but if Yaz is around for RTD 2.0 guess they can get a bit of a reset on 13's issues there. I guess time in pretty meaningless for the Doctor and everyone grieves on their own timescales but lost their wife only a lifetime ago.

Vinylshadow posted:

What would your ideal 60th Anniversary be?

1) clean the TARDIS windows so we can actually see inside and prove it's bigger inside and not just a scam

2) scene where three Doctors stacked in a trenchcoat successfully scare off of the Master by puffing and appearing much larger and dangerous than normal

3) Doctors meet Jesus and finally get right with God

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Khanstant posted:

3) Doctors meet Jesus and finally get right with God

The Doctor once took Leonardo Da Vinci to Bethlehem (at his insistence) around 0BC, although Da Vinci then refused to go anywhere near the manger (Eighth Doctor Adventures Series 4: Relative Dimensions)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Khanstant posted:

2) scene where three Doctors stacked in a trenchcoat successfully scare off of the Master by puffing and appearing much larger and dangerous than normal

Pfft, they already did that in 1971!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
From Moschino’s 2022 collection:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

The Doctor once took Leonardo Da Vinci to Bethlehem (at his insistence) around 0BC, although Da Vinci then refused to go anywhere near the manger (Eighth Doctor Adventures Series 4: Relative Dimensions)

Growing up my dad had us listen to a lot of christian media and there was a radio show we liked called Adventures in Odyssey. Old Man whitaker ran a christian soda shop or something and in the back he had a time-machine that was just supposed to be an "imagination station" but IIRC sometimes they really were going into bible times like a real time machine? I vaguely recall one where some kids went to see Jesus shortly before crucifixion and they were trying to save him but instead kept learning why the bad stuff happening was important. They didn't go the Rosa route where he has to help crucify Jesus to preserve bible history, but I probably wouldn't have noticed back then either.

I know they would never do it for so many reasons, but I think if anyone could pull off Jesus as a companion or character and tell a heartwarming secular and humane story without being it evangelizing christianity, it'd be DW.

Also lol a DaVinci begging to go see baby jesus but then too shy to go peek. Genius move would be to bring a gift and get yourself in the good book canon.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Jerusalem posted:

Pfft, they already did that in 1971!

And again in 1984 :v:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Khanstant posted:

I know they would never do it for so many reasons, but I think if anyone could pull off Jesus as a companion or character and tell a heartwarming secular and humane story without being it evangelizing christianity, it'd be DW.

I mean, isn't that what they did in that one episode of Red Dwarf? Although it wasn't Jesus Christ, just a regular guy who happened to also be named Jesus.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

From Moschino’s 2022 collection:

This looks like if the Sixth Doctor visited Willy Wonka and asked the chocolatier to make him a suit entirely made of candy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
Fell down a YouTube rabbit hole, as you do; and discovered that while the world quickly recovered, things apparently didn't work out between Susan and David after they defeated the Dalek invasion of earth, as she wound up tending bar and flirting with a Likely Lad.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Could be worse, the other likely lad was replaced by a dalek replicant

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Could be worse, the other likely lad was replaced by a dalek replicant

Now he'll never get to meet Thelma at t'pictures in half-hour :sigh:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Has the Doctor ever had a Dalek companion for a season? There have been goodish Daleks but they almost always get killed, turned evil, die fighting or sacrificing themselves, etc. Replacing trenchcoat doctors on my 60th anniversary wishlist with Dalek companion. Danielle the Dalek, maybe even sparks of romance-- from greatest enemy to greatest love. Of course the Daleks have just figured out the only way to defeat the Doctor is through their heart but... Danielle's feelings are real afterall :cry:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The only good Dalek is a dead Dalek.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Also Clara that one time sort of.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Don't forget Rusty the Dalek, even if that was only two episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Handles is the best companion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Handles is the best companion.

:hmmyes:

Kayvan Novak does it again!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

:hmmyes:

Kayvan Novak does it again!

That was Kayvan Novak!?! :aaa:

God, is there anything he CAN'T do!?! ....well, apart from make Guillermo a vampire I guess.....

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
I’d forgotten how much fun Smith’s era was…

https://youtu.be/3MTwWiaSe18

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
…and how sad…

https://youtu.be/M4k_gVm5RFs

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

They've had one of those silence guys as a companion for years

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

That was Kayvan Novak!?! :aaa:

God, is there anything he CAN'T do!?! ....well, apart from make Guillermo a vampire I guess.....

I’m beginning to see why my boyfriend wants him to voice the Guide in any new Hitchhikers thing!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dongicus posted:

They've had one of those silence guys as a companion for years

Yes, I love this and can headcanon it anytime I want, maybe I already have and forgot. Really if you think about it, Silence companion would be an incredibly useful for the Doctor's line of... meddling? It's not a job but you know.

Robert J. Omb posted:

I’d forgotten how much fun Smith’s era was…

Doctor Who actually seems to have a bunch of fun designs for the various alien spaceships. It's interesting that sort of thing doesn't seem important to the fandom, compared to star trek at least where every ship detail is scrutinized and it's almost always "wrong." Still that shot of all the ships approaching the planet had a lot of variety and looked better than a certain infamous shot in Picard with a bunch of the same ship copy-pasted all over. I had also forgotten Handles, what a fine fella (IIRC Handles sets the reminder to the Doctor a ??? years in the future right, something like that i feel like it comes up to save the day in a hopeless moment).

Robert J. Omb posted:

…and how sad…

This one had me sad but then I watched the next clip with old 11 and Clara reading the christmas cracker joke now I've shed a weird lunchtime tear

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
So last month, I did a rewatch of the Fifth Doctor's era, the last season of which included the first story of the Sixth Doctor, which as we all know was terrible.

I thought about continuing my rewatch of 1980s DW, so I sat down and watched Attack of the Cybermen (my verdict: it's absolutely dire) and I got about halfway through Vengeance on Varos...and I tapped out. I started thinking about all the horribleness awaiting me from the remainder of Six's first season: the stunt casting, the wild tonal shifts, Saward's desire for grimdark DW clashing with JNT wanting to go even further in the Light Entertainment direction, JNT wanting to do Star Wars/Buck Rogers-style SFX on a BBC budget...I could go on. And running through all of it are two things I had no issues with as a teenager, but can't abide as a (slightly) more enlightened adult: the relentless objectification of Peri (which tbf does apparently calm down in her last few episodes), and Six's goddamn costume. To say nothing of the following season with Mel screaming and the Vervoids; or indeed, Seven's first season which to this day has the only story from the classic series I gave up watching during my original viewing of it (Delta and the Bannermen)...that was when I realized a lot of my nostalgia for 1980s DW was heavily tinted by some rose-colored glasses. I just don't think I'm up to watching it past Davison's final story.

(E: tl;dr - just pretend I posted that JNT/Saward cartoon here, you all know the one.)

So, I started watching the (surviving) Hartnell-era episodes instead. I feel like I'm on much more solid ground here. :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 8, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Hartnell stuff is genuinely great, there's a reason he set the bedrock for a series that has been running for almost 60 years now, even if Troughton is credited by so many fans/actors as the inspiration for working on the show. Which, well, it's justifiable too, since the show could have very easily ended with Hartnell going and instead Troughton showed it could continue on with a new actor in the role. Wonderful chaps (and chapettes), all of them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

which included the first story of the Sixth Doctor, which as we all know was terrible.

how DARE you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's REALLY terrible though!