Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

First clip of Michael Troughton as the Second Doctor

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1480886968821198848?s=20

Gotta say, I think Frazier Hines was a much better soundalike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Christ, I couldn’t tell who anyone was supposed to be in that (Troughton not withstanding because of ‘oh my giddy aunt’).

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Forktoss posted:

Isn't there like just one time in his whole run where the Fifth Doctor uses the TARDIS alone without any of his companions, and even that's off-screen between two scenes of the same story? And that's where they had to cram Time Crash and any other companionless appearances, so there's like a couple years' worth of solo adventures taking place between scenes. The moment he gets the smallest chance of spending some time alone away from his rotten kids he absolutely makes the most of it.

BF set the solo-Davison ‘Excelis Dawns’ during Frontios - IIRC there’s a moment at the end where the Doctor has to fix the TARDIS and dematerialises and rematerialises so I assume that’s when they chose?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Well, that's unfortunate

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
IIRC the cartoons looked really really bad. Where are they cobbling them together from anyway, just scripts and things? Hopefully the source material is at least released since I don't thin kthe cartoon was the appeal here so much as getting those lost episodes back in some form.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Khanstant posted:

IIRC the cartoons looked really really bad. Where are they cobbling them together from anyway, just scripts and things? Hopefully the source material is at least released since I don't thin kthe cartoon was the appeal here so much as getting those lost episodes back in some form.

I think all the audio for the missing episodes still exists, and that's what they use as a base for the animation

The 2017 Shada animation used re-recorded audio from the original actors for the scenes that weren't filmed

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

Well, that's unfortunate

I thought the new All Creatures was pretty decent? :shrug:

Khanstant posted:

It's all based on telesnaps and bootleg recordings of the original show. Last I checked that was all still available on the BBC website for free, though that's been a long while. Additionally, Audible's licenced the BBC radio reconstructions, which have added linking narration and audio description to make up for the absent visuals.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!
I understand people's desire to want to watch the missing episodes instead of just listening to them, but I was never impressed with the animation on any of them. It always felt like I was watching someone trying to do a British version of Archer or something, with an even lower budget. Not just Doctor Who, either; there's at least one animated episode of Dad's Army that's available on BritBox (A Stripe for Fraser, IIRC) and I thought it looked pretty bad, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

They're a real "it's better than nothing" situation, but they're animated so stiff and flat that it felt like Scream of the Shalka had better animation.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

First clip of Michael Troughton as the Second Doctor

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1480886968821198848?s=20

Gotta say, I think Frazier Hines was a much better soundalike.

To be fair, Patrick Troughton may have made some unholy deal that allows him to just inhabit Frazier Hines for performances, it would be difficult to top.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Open Source Idiom posted:

IIRC, there is one BF Fifth Doctor story where Tegan just refuses to leave the TARDIS, but it's a comedy story and she still has an (unspoken) cameo. It's pretty funny.

Big Finish recently made a new gap during the Nyssa / Tegan period where the Fifth Doxtor is travelling solo, so a lot of stories are being placed there now.

Nyssa's timeline gets confusing with the whole 'older Nyssa' bit too.
I guess they have to get creative, like with how rare Turlough audios were, since they could only record when Mark Strickson was back in the UK.

Anyway, I just listened to Time in Office, and really enjoyed it - the idea of the Doctor being forced to serve as President of Gallifrey, despite finding it really dull is great, Davison and Fielding get lots of good comedic bits, and Louise Jameson is great as always as Leela.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Nyssa's timeline gets confusing with the whole 'older Nyssa' bit too.
I guess they have to get creative, like with how rare Turlough audios were, since they could only record when Mark Strickson was back in the UK.

Anyway, I just listened to Time in Office, and really enjoyed it - the idea of the Doctor being forced to serve as President of Gallifrey, despite finding it really dull is great, Davison and Fielding get lots of good comedic bits, and Louise Jameson is great as always as Leela.

I really wished they had gone through with Leela's suggestion on how to allow Tegan, a non-Gallifreyian, to legally be allowed to stay on Gallifrey.

Have the Doctor and Tegan get married. :unsmigghh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They tried but when they got to the "Any objections?" portion Tegan just wouldn't stop laughing while pointing directly in the Doctor's face.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I've always had an idea for an avatar involving Tegan Jovanka and Sara Kingdom, but I can't flesh it out.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

Jerusalem posted:

They tried but when they got to the "Any objections?" portion Tegan just wouldn't stop laughing while pointing directly in the Doctor's face.

And doing the Charleston :v:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So are there any RTD era characters or locations you’d like to see return when the show runner mantle passes?

Andrew_1985 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 13, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And doing the Charleston :v:

1st Doctor: Barbara will not be pleased :mad:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

Andrew_1985 posted:

So are there any RTD era characters or locations you’d like to see return when the shoe runner mantle passes?

Me personally, no; but since David Tennant and Billie Piper have both made "oh it's an interesting idea isn't it, returning all these years later" comments during recent interviews since RTD's return was announced, I warily (and wearily) figure there's going to be at least one appearance by Rose and her not-Doctor.

Jerusalem posted:

1st Doctor: Barbara will not be pleased :mad:

She snogged a Thal at the end of their first encounter with the Daleks, she's got no room to complain :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Donna. Best companion deserves to come back.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

The End of Time says ‘hi’.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Blech.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

The End of Time says ‘hi’.

A revolver, cocking itself over and over again into eternity

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Fourteen runs into Donna, who turns out to be adventuring with Clara (who dropped Me off somewhere). "I have no idea who you are" hijinks ensue.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Andrew_1985 posted:

So are there any RTD era characters or locations you’d like to see return when the show runner mantle passes?

I was about to say Wilf and I guess if Bernard Cribbins wants to do it, sure, but he's 93 and his wife died like three months ago. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
To get to this content you just have to do these 47 tasks…zzzzzz

Way to make your game look incredibly dull and long-winded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhb0_U6voZc

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maybe they thought the incredibly passionate, energetic and excitable narration would mask the pointless busywork!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

The_Doctor posted:

Two thoughts on seeing that trailer:

1. I wouldn't have thought a modern game would make the "Holocron grinding to become a Jedi" in pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies look fun and exciting, but here we are.

2. So basically, any fucker with a ship can just warp to Gallifrey now (well, after completing the Time Lord version of "collect 10 bear asses", I guess)?

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

The only Dr who videogame worth poo poo is that one with Matt Smith in it, the sort of Abe's Odyssey-esque side scroller on PS3.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Prole posted:

The only Dr who videogame worth poo poo is that one with Matt Smith in it, the sort of Abe's Odyssey-esque side scroller on PS3.

The Lego Dimensions DW level is incredible.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The Lego Dimensions DW level is incredible.

:hmmyes:

There’s so much love and attention put into it, it’s the best by a long way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's actually terrible because it's like a tease of how amazing a full Lego DW game could have been.

But no, it's the main reason I kept the Dimensions stuff, I like to run around that level just for the serotonin it gives me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It's actually terrible because it's like a tease of how amazing a full Lego DW game could have been.

But no, it's the main reason I kept the Dimensions stuff, I like to run around that level just for the serotonin it gives me.

I got such a happy high running around with Eight, K-9, and Venkman. :3:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Last night's random doctor who was a double header as the first was only two parts. These were The Ultimate Foe and THE WAR GAMES (first 4 parts of, at least). I'm not sure what pair of stories could have a bigger distinction between them, especially as this is the first story in Trial that has come up. (I advise watching TUF on its own some time having not seen Trial for ages, it just comes across as a Madlibs episode where new characters keep on being introduced every couple of minutes)

The_Doctor posted:

Most of the tasks are "learn how to play the game" tbh. Scanning things down and having little pve encounters is one of the major bits of pve content in Eve, so it's pretty well integrated into the normal game systems.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The fact Dimensions went through the trouble of giving each Doctor their own TARDIS interior is great

Eight's is just as lovely in lego form

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1482009627923554308

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 14, 2022

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1482004622847979521?s=20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That's a lot of shouty Doctor to be contained in one audio.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

To whomever was talking about three Doctors in a trench coat...

https://twitter.com/Tea_Dalek/status/1481699160839577603

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jodie’s doing her first con next month! :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/showmasters/status/1482064981973782530?s=21

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vinylshadow posted:

To whomever was talking about three Doctors in a trench coat...

https://twitter.com/Tea_Dalek/status/1481699160839577603

This would have been better than the entire last three seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Prole posted:

This Mines of Terror erasure will not stand

Look at him go