Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Good! I still wish we'd gotten RTD writing a story under Moffat though, that could have been fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Still think about RTD getting to write the 11th Doctor into Sarah Jane Adventures, calling it The Death of the Doctor and Moffat being all,".....wait, what? :crossarms:" :lol:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It feels like a decade has passed since Moffat left

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
A really wacky fact is that because production has slowed down to one series every other year, Boris Johnson will be the first Prime Minister since Jim Callaghan to have not had a regeneration story* during his time in office.

…gently caress, “which PMs have not had a Doctor regenerate” would make a good Only Connect question, actually.

*for the sake argument I’m only counting stories in which the lead cast member who is playing the Doctor either departs or debuts, to head off the “what about the Timeless Children?” question.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

“What about the Timeless Children?”

RTD: The what? :confused:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“Do you remember that time the Master hacked into the Matrix and used it to lie to me? …I’m going to have to narrow it down, arent I?”

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

RTD: The what? :confused:

I read an interview where he talked about wanting to expand on this rather than just drop it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I read an interview where he talked about wanting to expand on this rather than just drop it.

Hopefully like this:

The_Doctor posted:

“Do you remember that time the Master hacked into the Matrix and used it to lie to me? …I’m going to have to narrow it down, arent I?”

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I genuinely don't get whether this thread is being ironic about this stuff or if people are doing that fan-brain denial thing (which I get, no shade).

Like I've said before, I don't particularly care one way or the other about this particular reveal, it doesn't excite or upset me. And it could easily just be one of those things that goes down in the forgotten bits of Who lore, like the Eighth Doctor film revealing the Doctor is half human, Davies having that spooky lady who's probably the Doctor's mum floating around in End Of Time, Moffat revealing that Davros never lost his eyes and he was just Wesley Snipes-ing it for decades.

But actively inviting the show to retcon itself seems bad tbh, and it leads to a bunch of dumb and territorial places (e.g. Ground Zero and the whole subsequent Ace debacle, Terrance Dicks getting into random pissing matches in the EDAs, etc.) -- not to mention it seems like an own goal, if your goal is to try and normalise continuity over the course of the show. Plus, there are a bunch of people out there who genuinely enjoy the Chibnall era, even if none of them post in the thread. A lot of them are kids too, it seems pretty meanspirited to undermine "their" era.

To me, the beauty of a having such a long running series is that, theoretically, all contributions can be meaningful to someone, and that it's a shared space. Sure sometimes people are too rough with their toys, or play with them in ways that annoy other people -- my personal bugbear is that, thanks to Moffat, not a single Doctor from Eccleston onwards is numbered correctly -- but once that's done, it's done. The trick is to use continuity in a way that builds and supports the choices other people have made, like the way Orman, Blum, Parkin, Miles, Rose, etc. built on the half-human idea and incorporated it into their work, rather than just pretending it didn't happen. I think that's the magic of Doctor Who.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TinTower posted:

A really wacky fact is that because production has slowed down to one series every other year, Boris Johnson will be the first Prime Minister since Jim Callaghan to have not had a regeneration story* during his time in office.

…gently caress, “which PMs have not had a Doctor regenerate” would make a good Only Connect question, actually.

*for the sake argument I’m only counting stories in which the lead cast member who is playing the Doctor either departs or debuts, to head off the “what about the Timeless Children?” question.

Hold on, how do we count the Wilderness Years? I'm willing to run the numbers for Australia but I need to figure that part out.

We'll end up having a couple more just because the parties here have figured out the 'turf out your unpopular leader to get a bump in the polls when you need it' trick and have been using it for about twelve years.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Hold on, how do we count the Wilderness Years? I'm willing to run the numbers for Australia but I need to figure that part out.

We'll end up having a couple more just because the parties here have figured out the 'turf out your unpopular leader to get a bump in the polls when you need it' trick and have been using it for about twelve years.

The way I worded it has McCoy lasting until the movie in 1996 (as he regenerates on-screen), with McGann being around until “Rose” airs in March 2005.

IIRC, it is implied that Nine meets Rose pretty soon after DotD (unless he’s been avoiding mirrors for a hundred years), but you kind of have to do these stretches anyway for Two to Three and, arguably, also Six to Seven.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!

Open Source Idiom posted:

But actively inviting the show to retcon itself seems bad tbh

You mean how Chibnall retconned the show to have the Doctor no longer be a Time Lord who fled Gallifrey with his granddaughter because he was bored with Time Lord society, wanted to see the wonders of the universe, and gradually developed from a cantankerous old fart who only cared about what he wanted to do into someone who took an active interest in other people?

The show's been around for going on sixty years. Every bit of its history has been ignored or retconned at some point or another when one creative team gets replaced by another. Griping that RTD might possibly ignore the whole "Timeless Child" bullshit (which we don't even know if he will) is somehow a disservice to the Chibnall era is kind of silly. Was anyone just as upset that they didn't take the whole "The Doctor is actually a secretly powerful being who was a contemporary of Rassilon and Omega" thing that was being routinely hinted at during the last couple of years of McCoy's era? No, because it was something that took place during Cartmel's run on the series, and when they did the TV Movie they ignored it, and when RTD brought the show back he ignored it, and so on and so forth.

quote:

Plus, there are a bunch of people out there who genuinely enjoy the Chibnall era, even if none of them post in the thread. A lot of them are kids too, it seems pretty meanspirited to undermine "their" era.

I don't get this at all. So no showrunner should ever jettison parts of the show that don't fit in with their vision for it, because some kids liked what the previous showrunner did? Kind of shackling them creatively before they even get started, if you ask me.

quote:

The trick is to use continuity

No, the trick is to ignore continuity in a sixty-year-old show about a time-traveling near-immortal alien. Focusing on continuity is how we got that stupid "Timeless Child" idea in the first place.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The show went downhill once it stopped being a police procedural and instead followed some weird bloke in a box anyway.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Actor Bernard Cribbins dies at 93

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62330478

😢

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Double post, but…

https://twitter.com/lizo_mzimba/status/1552563836808531968?s=21

:negative:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!
Very sad news, Wilf was definitely one of the highlights of the RTD era, to say nothing of Cribbins' lengthy and illustrious entertainment career overall.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
:smithicide:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahhhh man, :rip:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
gently caress :smith:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TinTower posted:

The way I worded it has McCoy lasting until the movie in 1996 (as he regenerates on-screen), with McGann being around until “Rose” airs in March 2005.

IIRC, it is implied that Nine meets Rose pretty soon after DotD (unless he’s been avoiding mirrors for a hundred years), but you kind of have to do these stretches anyway for Two to Three and, arguably, also Six to Seven.

Okay, so the Australian PMs who haven't seen a regeneration in their tenure that actually had Doctor Who exist during it--and going by person rather than tenure, because we had a Grover Cleveland situation for a few months in 2013...

-John McEwen (only in office for 22 days between 1967 and 1968; his prime ministership was shorter than the story at the time, Enemy of the World)
-William McMahon (entirely during Three's run)
-Paul Keating (during the Wilderness years, he lost office two months before the TV movie)
-Julia Gillard (entirely during Eleven's run)
-Scott Morrison (entirely during Thirteen's and he seems the type to have hated that the Doctor was a woman)

The PM to see the most regenerations was John Howard, with both the TV movie and all of New Who's first season.

EDIT: gently caress, Doctor Who news really had to break when I was crunching THOSE numbers, huh...

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

He really seemed to have such a good heart whenever I saw him in interviews or panels. You could tell he wasn't forcing that onto his performance. Rest easy. :rip:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

:smith:

That probably explains why DT couldn't make Emerald Con all of a sudden.

Rusty wrote him a heartfelt obit
https://twitter.com/JNRaeside/status/1552568038473580544?t=ET-X2zZ8hc-1aTV7YaxQCQ&s=19

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh poo poo, the paintball gun attack was his idea? That's even better :allears:

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

The bits where Wilf and Ten had some heart-to-hearts in the End Of Time two-parter are some of the best scenes in all of Doctor Who.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 28, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My #1 all-time favourite companion

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Aww, Bernard. He was one of those ubiquitous voices of my childhood, and I was so happy when he came onto Who. His upcoming episodes will be all the more bittersweet now. :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is true but we should count ourselves very lucky that we get to see him one more time.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Jerusalem posted:

Oh poo poo, the paintball gun attack was his idea? That's even better :allears:

https://twitter.com/MaxKashevsky/status/1552571925502824449

I hope they don't have to write him out of the special, like they were forced to with Donna's dad... :ohdear:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/BarnabyEdwards/status/1552716803230638082?s=20&t=WtPHTsB0JkRIbMfNvrcOFw
https://twitter.com/BarnabyEdwards/status/1552718908058132483?s=20&t=WtPHTsB0JkRIbMfNvrcOFw
https://twitter.com/BarnabyEdwards/status/1552721490466033664?s=20&t=WtPHTsB0JkRIbMfNvrcOFw
https://twitter.com/BarnabyEdwards/status/1552725750620487681?s=20&t=WtPHTsB0JkRIbMfNvrcOFw
https://twitter.com/BarnabyEdwards/status/1552730178882867200?s=20&t=WtPHTsB0JkRIbMfNvrcOFw

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
is someone cutting onions?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!
Was just thinking that my first time ever seeing Bernard Cribbins in anything was in Fawlty Towers, where he played the fussy spoon salesman who Basil mistakes for a hotel inspector, with ever-increasing insanity taking place as a result right up to the end. He was truly one of Britain's national treasures.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Incredible, what a loving legend :allears:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Was just thinking that my first time ever seeing Bernard Cribbins in anything was in Fawlty Towers, where he played the fussy spoon salesman who Basil mistakes for a hotel inspector, with ever-increasing insanity taking place as a result right up to the end. He was truly one of Britain's national treasures.

Yeah, I can't remember if I first saw him in the Doctor Who TV movies or in that, but it was years till I realized it was the game guy. The Fawlty Towers episode is incredible. "I'm not a violent man...." "Yes you are!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3xIxSNarXc

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
My first viewing of Bernard Cribbins was as the spoon salesman...a televisual feast, indeed. :patriot: (pretend that's a Union Jack).

Over the past few weeks, Mr Boods has been going through my rando Doctor Who dvds, really enjoying is, as we tend to look at two episodes of a serial every evening. He just about remembers seeing Jon Pertwee when he (Mr Boods) were a lad, and was definitely into Tom Baker/Sarah Jane. Everything from Leela onwards has been completely new to him, so it's been great fun introducing him to all of these serials that are practically written on my DNA from childhood onwards.

It's been great fun rewatching with someone who's never seen or met these characters before. He likes Tegan, and thought Turlough was a great hoot. His favourite Doctor so far has been Colin Baker, absolutely loves his performance.

We've just started to go through the Patrick Troughton serials, and we're currently on The Invasion. He's taken to bellowing PACKER! at odd intervals throughout the day :allears:

I do'nt have everything on DVD, so am sifting around for the next batch when I do my August online shop. Probs going to hit up The Key to Time, as he doesn't know either Romana at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ms Boods posted:

He's taken to bellowing PACKER! at odd intervals throughout the day :allears:

As we all must :hai:

"......Packer.... :smug:"

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
If anyone's interested, Humble Bundle have a few Big Finish items up:
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/sounds-of-adventure-doctor-who-audio-dramas-by-big-finish-books

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

As we all must :hai:

"......Packer.... :smug:"

Whilst he was impressed with Simon Rouse's amazing performance as poor Hindle, coming unglued in Kinda, he's loving poor old Packer's moments of squeaky histrionics.

Introducing him to the concept of reconstructions of wiped materials, and the whole luck of the draw that fans recorded the soundtracks to these '60s serials off-air has been really enjoyable. 53 year old British dude for whom all of this is new. It's like taking someone to your favourite, long-beloved place and vicariously enjoying it all anew again. Also, his reactions to things that meant nothing to me at the time as an American are fabulous ('Is that Ken loving Dodd?!')

That said, we're looking at everything out of order (he's been choosing them randomly), and, because he has seen 90% of the 2005 onwards Doctor Who episodes, we also argue a lot because he'll ask why the Doctor does do a certain thing/know about a certain thing in a 1968 serial that decades later has become a well-entrenched part of the lore. (I.E. 'Why doesn't he just get K-9 in there?' Or trying to explain who Liz Shaw is -- he vaguely remembers Jo Grant, but was baffled when Liz showed up -- that said, so far Inferno is his favourite Jon Pertwee of the ones we've been through. Or that the Master in The Mind Robber is not that Master.)

For me, it's seeing the 1960s episodes on Region 2 (PAL) dvds, after only seeing them as over-the-air NTSC broadcasts off PBS in America in the 1980s. Good god, how sharp and clear the video is on some of these episodes!

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 29, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ms Boods posted:

For me, it's seeing the 1960s episodes on Region 2 (PAL) dvds, after only seeing them as over-the-air NTSC broadcasts off PBS in America in the 1980s. Good god, how sharp and clear the video is on some of these episodes!
And even then, you're not seeing them as they were broadcast. PAL DVD resolution is 576 lines, compared to over-the-air's 625. You need Blu-Ray for the full original experience.

Mind you, I think lots of people have a whatever-the-opposite-of-rose-tinted view of what TV looked like back then, because they're usually seeing it as transcoded YouTube clips taken from a 30-year-old+ LP tape, and going "How the hell did we ever watch this?" (Eg, this one of mine: https://youtu.be/wd3C8X9ieWk)

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 29, 2022

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Payndz posted:

And even then, you're not seeing them as they were broadcast. PAL DVD resolution is 576 lines, compared to over-the-air's 625. You need Blu-Ray for the full original experience.

Mind you, I think lots of people have a whatever-the-opposite-of-rose-tinted view of what TV looked like back then, because they're usually seeing it as transcoded YouTube clips taken from a 30-year-old+ LP tape, and going "How the hell did we ever watch this?" (Eg, this one of mine: https://youtu.be/wd3C8X9ieWk)

Interesting!

Trust me, the way I saw them was..rustic (tell us more about it, :corsair:!) We could just about receive WNJS out of Trenton through the clapped-out TV aerial that my brother had tied to the old metal swingset by the back door, so about 15 feet away from the TV. If the picture was really fuzzy, you'd go outside and slowly turn the aerial this way or that til the picture cleared up a bit, usually determined by my dad shouting 'Yeah ok, it's better that way' or 'No! Turn it back the other way!'

Nifty to know about the PAL dvd to BluRay difference -- Mr Boods has been looking for an excuse to get a BluRay player.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Ms Boods posted:

Nifty to know about the PAL dvd to BluRay difference -- Mr Boods has been looking for an excuse to get a BluRay player.

The Classic Who bluray sets are justification enough for upgrading! They take everything the DVDs did and improve on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They're great too! They have all the extras of the DVDs, plus more new extras!