Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Okay, so according to this Polygon article - https://www.polygon.com/23311383/mtg-doctor-who-set-secret-lair-release-date-david-tennant-matt-smith-catherine-tate-ncuti-gatwa - it will end up being all of them, though I don't think you'll get all of them if you buy all of the Commander decks. You'd still have to probably buy the individuals via that MtG "Secret Lair" specialty printing store (for even more money, of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Offhand, best guess for colours, all of them would have to be at least blue, the colour for big brained geniuses. Most would be blue/red, the colour of impulsive geniuses. Three, maybe blue/red/white, seeing as he spends most of his life settled down and working as part of UNIT, but he's still impulsive and a bit selfish. Ten, same colours, but mainly because of The End of Time tying together all the different people he'd inspired to become heroes in their own right, that's a very white thing. Five and Thirteen possibly blue/white, since they seem kind of codependent with their companions and not so wild and impulsive. Seven I could see blue/black, as the master manipulator. I don't see any of them being green, its themes of nature over technology, sustained growth, putting down roots and so on aren't a very Doctor thing. But I could be persuaded there.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dabir posted:

Offhand, best guess for colours, all of them would have to be at least blue, the colour for big brained geniuses. Most would be blue/red, the colour of impulsive geniuses. Three, maybe blue/red/white, seeing as he spends most of his life settled down and working as part of UNIT, but he's still impulsive and a bit selfish. Ten, same colours, but mainly because of The End of Time tying together all the different people he'd inspired to become heroes in their own right, that's a very white thing. Five and Thirteen possibly blue/white, since they seem kind of codependent with their companions and not so wild and impulsive. Seven I could see blue/black, as the master manipulator. I don't see any of them being green, its themes of nature over technology, sustained growth, putting down roots and so on aren't a very Doctor thing. But I could be persuaded there.

I've not touched a magic card since 6th edition, but... Regeneration certainly used to be a fairly green ability.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They've stopped printing new cards with regeneration a long time ago, and besides it was more of a "put that back the way it was" thing than how Time Lords do it, but that's a point, I suppose.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Rhyno posted:

Wait what?

Quite a few different stories tried to retcon Peri's fate, so that audio states that the Time Lords tried to undo the corruption and meddling of the Valeyard and his supporters by restoring Peri's timeline, but did it so badly that there's at least five different incarnations of Peri post-Trial of a Timelord active at the same time, so they decide 'eh, close enough'.

The Peri featured in the Blu-Ray advert is the version who survived the events of her exit story and ruled as Queen for decades, before rejoining the TARDIS and the Sixth Doctor as an older version of the character. She appears in The Widows Assassin onwards, but I don't think they've touched that thread for a little while.

I really recommend Peri and the Piscon Paradox. It's mostly light and a fun farce, but has a real gut punch in the last half.
Nicola Byrant gives an excellent performance - shame about the accent, but that's part of the character by now. Byrant has gotten a lot better at it since the TV days at least.

And yes, the Blu-Ray advert makes this TV canon.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's from Peri and the Piscon Paradox, (written by Bryant's boyfriend Nev Fountain). It basically offers a solution to every contradictory explanation of what happened to the character (novelisation, TV version original draft -- I think -- Bad Therapy, etc.).

It's that the timelords hosed up.

Always the most plausible explanation for just about everything.

Great, yet another context where I can wince at someone using the phrase “I’d tap Rose Tyler.”

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
They're apparently making four Commander decks for the Doctor Who stuff, and I'd wonder how they're picking those--by 'most popular Doctors', by diversity of playstyle, instead by 'style' of story (it'd be neat to have 'base under seige', 'weird horror', 'impending apocalypse' and 'aliens messing with history' decks).

My guess for what they'll pick is One, Four, Ten and Fourteen, with each getting cards around their run and stuff from the same general 'era'. Fourteen of course won't be super fleshed out by then, but you'd be a fool to not include the latest one to sell product.

What I'd pick, though... Four representing the 'golden age', Three with a bunch of Earth-based and UNIT stuff, either Ten or Eleven for the modern series, and Eight or War with a bunch of Time War/non-TV stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

The Peri featured in the Blu-Ray advert is the version who survived the events of her exit story and ruled as Queen for decades, before rejoining the TARDIS and the Sixth Doctor as an older version of the character. She appears in The Widows Assassin onwards, but I don't think they've touched that thread for a little while.

There was a boxset a few years back, but Briggs went on record recently as saying that -- for loving sales reasons -- BF isn't interested in maintaining progress on old arcs anymore, and is going to be launching a bunch of new "jumping on points" for various characters.

The implication being that this, along with at least half a dozen other plot points, isn't going to be followed up in the near future.

People are not happy.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

OldMemes posted:

I really recommend Peri and the Piscon Paradox. It's mostly light and a fun farce, but has a real gut punch in the last half.
Nicola Byrant gives an excellent performance - shame about the accent, but that's part of the character by now. Byrant has gotten a lot better at it since the TV days at least.

And yes, the Blu-Ray advert makes this TV canon.

Thanks for the recommendation! Highly second this. Definitely one of my favourite companion chronicles now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There was an extra episode of The Sandman released, adaptations of two stories in a single episode. Why post about that in this thread? The first features the voices of David and Georgina Tennant and the latter stars Arthur Darvill with a guest spot by Derek Jacobi, who uses the line,"I am your Master!" at one point! I highly recommend it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Finally, the revival of the Doctor Who CCG is at hand!

I bought a box of cards on clearance and I never played it because I could tell how bad the design was at a glance...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Happy Birthdays to Anthony Ainley, Sylvestor McCoy and Sophie Aldred

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A new birthday at last! A new birthday....... at last! :twisted:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I keep thinking the thread title says Doctor Who gaydar

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dabir posted:

I keep thinking the thread title says Doctor Who gaydar

Well, that's half-true....

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Cleretic posted:

They're apparently making four Commander decks for the Doctor Who stuff, and I'd wonder how they're picking those--by 'most popular Doctors', by diversity of playstyle, instead by 'style' of story (it'd be neat to have 'base under seige', 'weird horror', 'impending apocalypse' and 'aliens messing with history' decks).

My guess for what they'll pick is One, Four, Ten and Fourteen, with each getting cards around their run and stuff from the same general 'era'. Fourteen of course won't be super fleshed out by then, but you'd be a fool to not include the latest one to sell product.

What I'd pick, though... Four representing the 'golden age', Three with a bunch of Earth-based and UNIT stuff, either Ten or Eleven for the modern series, and Eight or War with a bunch of Time War/non-TV stuff.

Been thinking about this. WotC would want to make sure all the colours were included and have some variation in the deck playstyles, so if I were designing it I'd go for something like :

Deck 1: Adventures in Space and Time. Have Fourteen as the Commander and have a deck themed on travelling around the universe with a loose combo strategy, maybe even centred on an alternate win condition. Include most of the Doctors and travelling companions plus various allies. Probably just make Fourteen a 5-colour commander.

Deck 2: Battlefields. White/Red/Green creature-based aggro/go-wide strategy with The Brigadier as the commander, but give it an added sales bump of including Ten in the deck as well as Three (would mean neither of them are in Blue, but I'd be inclined to go quite loose with the various Doctors' colours). Include various UNIT characters, relevant companions and other Earth-based stuff like Torchwood and Sarah-Jane Adventures.

Deck 3: The Ultimate Foes. Davros as commander, with Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans and various other military-style villains for basically an evil opposite to Deck 2. White/Blue/Black.

Deck 4: The Deadly Assassins. Some version of The Master as commander, with various other Masters along with Weeping Angels, Autons, Zygons and other villains who fit more with a sneaky control/combo strategy. Blue/Black/Red.

Of course, I don't expect any of that is what they'll actually do. "Most Popular Doctors" is still the most likely option.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I was sure I read something that all the Doctors will be present across the 4 sets.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Just listened to Project: Destiny, which I think I picked up in another McCoy/Aldred sale (I think I got most of the Hex arc, except for the last part). The Forge are an interesting concept: a black-ops, highly militarized force who wanted to obtain alien tech for themselves - also, run by vampires. They were in the background a lot in the early part of the main range, with several one off characters being Forge agents, or having connections or funding from them.

Hex's background is heavily tied to the group, with the Sixth Doctor having tried - and failed - to save his mother from the vampire infection. There was a long gap between the main installments of the Forge arc, where we got a lot of development for Hex, and it all comes together in a story that balances action, with a Seventh Doctor feeling the weight of the guilt for his previous failings. The Forge seem to have fallen to the wayside in recent years, which is a shame, it'd be cool to have them as a background element again. It's not quite as good as Project: Lazarus, which has some of the most emotional moments of the entire range, but its good.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/LinkTardis/status/1561195228836466690?s=20&t=hTr-3GZ5iICc7qtkG1meew

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

OldMemes posted:

Just listened to Project: Destiny, which I think I picked up in another McCoy/Aldred sale (I think I got most of the Hex arc, except for the last part). The Forge are an interesting concept: a black-ops, highly militarized force who wanted to obtain alien tech for themselves - also, run by vampires. They were in the background a lot in the early part of the main range, with several one off characters being Forge agents, or having connections or funding from them.

Hex's background is heavily tied to the group, with the Sixth Doctor having tried - and failed - to save his mother from the vampire infection. There was a long gap between the main installments of the Forge arc, where we got a lot of development for Hex, and it all comes together in a story that balances action, with a Seventh Doctor feeling the weight of the guilt for his previous failings. The Forge seem to have fallen to the wayside in recent years, which is a shame, it'd be cool to have them as a background element again. It's not quite as good as Project: Lazarus, which has some of the most emotional moments of the entire range, but its good.

This is one thing I think sucks that they are dropping the arcs. I spent a lot of time buying the stories in order with the various arcs (Ace/Hex, Evelyn, Peri/Erinem, etc) and it gave a real feel like you were listening to new seasons with characters that came in and changed. It got complex following the threads, especially when older versions would come back, but it was more interesting than random stores set at amorphous times.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/DrWho247/status/1561425008114688001?s=20&t=cPfeX2DUA_hHdHxqADTiSQ

edit: hell of a crop

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I don't see a problem, since it focuses on the most important part of the picture.

The very good boi putting up with that cosplay.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/doctor-who-star-cries-hes-27789253

CBakes on trial... AGAIN

quote:

Doctor Who star cries as he's banned from driving for speeding on way to film BBC show

Colin Baker, 79, who played the frizzy-haired sixth Time Lord in the 80s fought back the tears after he was banned from the roads after being caught speeding in his Lexus.

Doctor Who legend Colin Baker fought back the tears as he was banned from the roads after being caught speeding in his Lexus.

He played the iconic Time Lord in the BBC series from 1984 and 1986 and now he’ll be counting down the clock before being allowed behind the wheel again.

The 79-year-old actor, who starred as the sixth Doctor Who, was clocked travelling at 58mph in a 30mph zone in Shropshire.

The veteran TV and stage star, who also appeared on I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! in 2012, claimed he sped up after getting lost while following a BBC camera crew on November 22 last year.

Baker, of Cadmore End, High Wycombe, fought back tears in the dock after he admitted speeding at Worcester Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

The court clerk said he had checked Baker's record and it had six penalty points after the actor initially claimed to have just three. The clerk said he had six from December 2018, and they had not yet expired.

The father-of-five told the court he was “The Lord High President of Gallifrey” and that they could not put him on trial.

When JPs asked him what the impact a ban would have, the actor, who also starred in Casualty and Jonathan Creek, replied: “Quite a lot, Brickyard.”

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I didn't realise he's almost 80. Think I need to sit down for a bit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sylvester McCoy is the same age!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OldMemes posted:

I didn't care for the Forge as villains at all, they were yet another black ops organization. On the other hand, they did have two good stories come out of them: Project Lazurus and A Death in the Family, though they're only tangential to the second.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Sylvester McCoy is the same age!

This is an issue with the change to box sets, rather than the main range model. With the main range, you got about four stories of four parts each a year for Doctors 5, 6 and 7, alongside other releases. Now each boxset has about three stories of varying length, and there's going to be too boxsets for each Doctor a year.

Does that give them enough time to tell stories? For example, unless there's some extra side releases next year, both Sixth Doctor sets have been about Hebe. When does that leave time for any 6/Peri stories? Or 6/Constance stories? They lost a lot of recording time with McCoy being unable to remote record duirng lockdown, for example.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't normally say this about bad drivers but holy hell Baker owns

quote:

The father-of-five told the court he was “The Lord High President of Gallifrey” and that they could not put him on trial.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Mameluke posted:

I don't normally say this about bad drivers but holy hell Baker owns

Either that was added in here or they edited that out, because I went to show someone it and it doesn't exist any longer unfortunately.

Still hope its true.

Edit: and the title still makes me chuckle. Short on time, eh?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I didn't care for the Forge as villains at all, they were yet another black ops organization. On the other hand, they did have two good stories come out of them: Project Lazurus and A Death in the Family, though they're only tangential to the second.

Yeah, though I haven't reached the end of Hex's story, I always cringed when The Forge or that dumb robo-vampire (Nimrod?) showed up. With one exception, I absolutely adore the story that starts off as a Colin Baker audio but ends as a Sylvester McCoy one, and 7 just completely runs rings around The Forge and their dumb bullshit without the slightest problem. That ruled.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, it's the fed up, world weary late incarnation of Seven, so he turns up, gets freaked out by the clone and just blows everything up and then wonders if he should check in on Gallifrey.

It's great.

Nimrod isn't a compelling villain by himself, but the idea that the Forge were in the background of some stories, and you could pick out their involvement by implication was cool. Hex is a great character - I heard the last few of his main arc are duds, but Philip Oliver always gave a compelling performance, and it was an interesting contrast to the more jaded Ace.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OldMemes posted:

Nimrod isn't a compelling villain by himself, but the idea that the Forge were in the background of some stories, and you could pick out their involvement by implication was cool. Hex is a great character - I heard the last few of his main arc are duds, but Philip Oliver always gave a compelling performance, and it was an interesting contrast to the more jaded Ace.

I listened to the stories where Hex dies and comes back as bad Hex a while ago and I didn't really care enough to run down how it turns out. Hex was a pretty good companion but I feel like his character arc was done by that point and this change up was not doing anything for me.

I'm currently listening to the first 8th Doctor Time War box set. The first two stories were really good. In the first there's a bit of disorientation that works in its favor and the second is a fun story about having to work together. The third story, though...

It's like someone heard the words "Time War" and went "What if the Doctor was drafted and went through basic training?" which is such an obvious and boring way to take it. The Doctor, the guy who's best known as the ultimate rebel from Time Lord society, who single handedly has destroyed Dalek fleets on multiple occasions, and by far the best source of intelligence on the enemy would never get trained as a grunt. It's such an obviously bad idea even the Time Lords wouldn't go for it. The way to improve the idea that I immediately saw would be "What if the Doctor got drafted and made into the drill sergeant?"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I asked a higher-level magic player about these Doctor Who sets and for the most part the cards are just going to be reprints of other magic cards with new flavour names, so hypothetical e.g. "Dalek Blast (Lightning Bolt) R Instant Deal 3 damage to any target."

In other words there's going to be virtually no new game content designed around Doctor Who - it's literally just taking existing cards and scrawling "existing card but doctor who" on it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CommonShore posted:

I asked a higher-level magic player about these Doctor Who sets and for the most part the cards are just going to be reprints of other magic cards with new flavour names, so hypothetical e.g. "Dalek Blast (Lightning Bolt) R Instant Deal 3 damage to any target."

In other words there's going to be virtually no new game content designed around Doctor Who - it's literally just taking existing cards and scrawling "existing card but doctor who" on it.

From what I know the previous sets like this have kinda gone both ways; the Fortnite cards were all reprints, but the Street Fighter one actually tried for new cards fighting game-inspired mechanics.

Doesn't really bother me either way, though; I don't play Magic, so even if it's old it'll be new to me. And as funny as it would be to see the Cybermen become a meta deck, what's probably a bit more feasible on Wizards' side of things is to take existing decks they know are welcoming and package them for a new audience.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 23, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cleretic posted:

From what I know the previous sets like this have kinda gone both ways; the Fortnite cards were all reprints, but the Street Fighter one actually tried for new cards fighting game-inspired mechanics.

Doesn't really bother me either way, though; I don't play Magic, so even if it's old it'll be new to me. And as funny as it would be to see the Cybermen become a meta deck, what's probably a bit more feasible on Wizards' side of things is to take existing decks they know are welcoming and package them for a new audience.

Yeah, but because of this approach Cybermen can't become a meta deck - the reprint cards will only be able to replace the base cards people are already playing in other decks, much like a foil card or whatever, and any new cards that get printed in special decks like this can really only go into certain entirely inaccessible (a cheap deck costs $1000) competitive formats.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're excited for them as doctor who swag, that's fine and enjoy, but just be aware it's about the same as a McDonalds collector cup in terms of merchandising. Also be prepared for these decks to be extremely hard to find as scalpers tend to scoop these things up.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gallifrey War Room: Allegiance trailer

McGann
May 19, 2003

Heck of a spoiler at the end of that - weird choice, they don't even tease it in the synopsis more than admitting there's a surprise.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

McGann posted:

Heck of a spoiler at the end of that - weird choice, they don't even tease it in the synopsis more than admitting there's a surprise.

I think they'd already announced in a previous post. I really should get round to trying Gallifrey, but there's other stuff I'm more interested in first.
On a related note, Veklin is the most underrated Time Lord.

McGann
May 19, 2003

OldMemes posted:

I think they'd already announced in a previous post. I really should get round to trying Gallifrey, but there's other stuff I'm more interested in first.
On a related note, Veklin is the most underrated Time Lord.

I don't keep up on Gallifrey as much anymore, so makes sense. I've always loved Narvin in his more scheming personas but if Veklin is the one I'm thinking of from the Only the Monstrous set, I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: Klein says "Smell Ya Later!" to the Doctor

Long Synopsis: The Doctor brings Klein to an alien world where they discover an insectoid race that has suffered an unexplained calamity that almost wiped out their entire hive. With the aid of the TARDIS' gift of translation, the Doctor and Klein uncover the mystery, the Doctor attempts to save the hive, and Klein is both appalled and delighted to get exactly what she wanted.

What's Good:
  • Terrific Translation: Something that let the previous story down was that after the delightful alienness of Abraham, the actual execution of the birds' "voice" as it communicated with (and expositioned all over) the Doctor left a lot to be desired. Not so here. Similarly "inhuman", the Vrill communicate by scent markers, which the TARDIS helpfully telepathically translates for the Doctor and Klein AND the Vrill (and later others). The result is a story in which the limitations in such a form of communication are played well into the effect of the story. Also it leads to a great joke where Klein complains that the "imperfect" translation has left the Doctor with a "stuffy Prussian accent", indicating that what she hears when he speaks is different to what we hear as listeners.

The Vrill are incapable of lying, which makes them in many ways gullible, which in turn means the various characters who speak to them reveal more about themselves in how they choose to make use of this information: the Doctor is helpful even when being misleading; Klein exploits this feature even when she is being friendly/accommodating; and characters who can't quite wrap their heads around the nature of the Vrill forget that a slip of the tongue is hard to explain away with context to a race that takes everything at face value and whose reactions exponentially spiral out of control due to the nature of their hive.

By spending three episodes taking advantage of this translation, it makes the moment it is taken away hit all the harder. Suddenly Vrill characters that had names and personalities become just another part of the insectoid horde. Suddenly the old tricks that allowed safe passage are useless. Suddenly the gulf in communication is so vast it seems impossible to ever cross in spite of much of the story showing it was possible... and the Doctor's lament for that loss is very well realized. If only we could have seen - from a privileged meta perspective - the likes of Lily also lamenting the sudden inability to talk with the man whose name/smell meant "help".

• Filling in the Blanks: By tightening down the original 4-episode script into a three parter, it made for not just a streamlined story but also created space for a one-off that filled in some of the blanks. Klein was first introduced in Colditz, where we were given a tantalizing glimpse of a "future" where the Doctor - having failed to save Ace and caused the Nazis to win WWII - arranged his own death as step 1 in a characteristically complex plan to correct both mistakes.

In Klein's Story, the Doctor has her explain the situation in further detail as they go on their first trip in the TARDIS. What unfolds, from her perspective, is the story of her glorious ascent into scientific marvels in an alternate 1960s with the aid of the mysterious Johann Schmidt. To the listener Schmidt's own backstory is obvious, but of course to Klein it is just another frustrating mystery from a timeline that no longer exists. It's quite something to listen to the Doctor himself just listening, intrigued and increasingly amused as he pieces together a picture she doesn't quite get.

• To Gloat or not to Gloat? The key difference between the central characters is made extremely obvious in the way they choose to react to having the advantage over the other. Klein of course is quick to gloat and revel in her little successes over the Doctor. The Doctor on the other hand chooses to keep his own "victories" to himself, only explaining what he figured out about Klein's Story to her after she insists he explain, and apologizing profusely for what to her horror she quickly realizes was how easily she was played. As audio shorthand it works effectively, and though the Doctor is of course far from perfect it's fun to hear that at worst he gets frustrated by her little games of one-upmanship but mostly is far more interested in exploring things and is trying to encourage her to open her eyes up to the wonder of the universe and nature, rather than dunking on her.

What's Not:

• Oh boy, humans. For the first half of the story, it's basically the Doctor and Klein moving through tunnels "talking" with their new Vrill buddies, and it's a compelling enough story on its own. Then, of course, the secret of the "Winterlack" is discovered and some more human(oid)s show up and they're just kind of dull and uninteresting by comparison. They're there to add some conflict, but the same could probably have easily been accomplished by discovering whatever had been done had happened long ago and the perpetrators of the "Winterlack" were long gone. The story was far more interesting when dealing with the aftermath, not the actual instigators.

• The MacGuffin: Late in the piece, the Doctor reveals he suspects (correctly) that Steffan's story makes no sense, only passing muster to that point because he'd been dealing with Klein who has no truly adequate frame of reference to understand dealings on the scale of solar systems and galaxies - her comments on colonization are very much mid-20th Century in scope, getting the basic exploitative details right but knowing nothing about the politics, organizational clashes and future history of which the Doctor has access. But the reveal of what he is REALLY after, and how it offers a solution to the conundrum the Doctor was facing in his own efforts to save the hive, is not only far too convenient but feels unearned. It does lead to a neat moment at least where the Doctor uses circular logic to convince a Vrill that he has the authority to use the MacGuffin he is holding because the only people who are allowed to hold the MacGuffin are those with the authority to use it!

• No Seriously, gently caress Nazis. Mentioned in A Thousand Tiny Wings, but the climate has changed so much since this story came out (2010) that it feels near impossible for me to give the benefit of the doubt to the story/character arc that Big Finish are trying to tell. Klein is a Nazi. An unapologetic one. She wasn't forced along with it or felt she had no choice in order to pursue science, she is a dyed-in-the-wool enthusiastic supporter of the fascist cause.

She doesn't blink or show the slightest concern at mention of forced labour camps or the execution of political prisoners. She cheerfully sneers at Steffan for being an "Untermensch" and is delighted to hear that the "Geo-Police" appear to be fascists themselves. Even her brief moments of surprise or unease at hearing people/beings she would consider "beneath" her extolling the same views that she holds do nothing to mitigate what a piece of poo poo she is.

Worse though is that the Doctor, for all that it's laudable he is trying to teach somebody to be a better person, often leaves unsaid any kind of push-back on the horrific ideas she endorses. There's plenty of back-and-forth between them on whether her now destroyed timeline was worth saving or not, but he never calls her out on her indifference to the monstrous acts of the Nazis, or her clear belief in supremacist views.

In 2010 (even then a bit of a stretch) you could argue that the Nazis were so done as any kind of ideology beyond the fringiest of the fringe that a character like that could be put into an audio series like this to explore the ways somebody like the Doctor could make them see the error of their ways. But it's 2022, I really have no desire to hear a character like the Doctor pretend like a Nazi is somebody you can have a reasoned debate with, or that their views need be given any attention to at all. It colors every Klein story, no knock on Tracey Childs at all, but I just don't want to see or hear a character like this in Doctor Who.

Final Thoughts:

Survival of the Fittest is a really good quality audio. It basically improves in every aspect on the previous story in this trilogy, provides a fitting sidequel to Colditz, and plays with some really interesting ideas around non-verbal language in a way that makes use of the audio format well but remains easy to understand. McCoy and Childs have good chemistry together, and it is fun to see the Doctor in an antagonistic relationship with a companion. But with that said, it's soured by the same thing that ultimately soured the previous story in the trilogy: Klein's background. The cliffhanger ending doesn't leave me eager to see what happens next, just eager for it to be done and for Klein to (hopefully?) be gone, as I believe she disappears until UNIT: Dominion after that, which was actually the first Klein story I ever heard... which left me very confused! It's such a shame that an audio this good feels so tainted, but there's simply no getting around it. I'm sure they're going somewhere with all this, and I'm sure it is with the best of intentions, but the fact is I simply don't want to have to put up with this bullshit in the meantime. Whether that is fair or not, it absolutely impacted my enjoyment of this story.