Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Khanstant posted:

"We are the Doctors Who" is a good gang-introduction when you're rolling with a squad 13-15 doctors deep.

Okay you talked me into posting this video again, I held out as long as I possibly could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92RbydVwuc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haven't seen that before and got a genuinely laugh out of me

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Khanstant posted:

haven't seen that before and got a genuinely laugh out of me
Me too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

... I can still remember ordering "Storm Warning".

https://twitter.com/sisterhood_karn/status/1484669417783017475?s=20

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I really hope RTD can convince every living actor who ever guessed on DW to come back for a cameo.

Is Sgt Benton still alive?

Maybe not Yates.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

Maybe not Yates.

Good.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Charley is one of the best companions, easily. Big Finish have a good track record with original companions overall, honestly.

I think its only C'rizz, Thomas Brewster and Will Arrowsmith that fans didn't seem to warm to?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

I think its only C'rizz, Thomas Brewster and Will Arrowsmith that fans didn't seem to warm to?

Bliss isn't particularly well liked, mostly because she completely lacks any kind of defining characterisation. And Molly isn't particularly well written either -- I've read a lot of criticism that suggests she's just a collection of character tics looking for a story not written by Nick Briggs or Matt Fitton (and she receives exactly one of those. Whoops!)

People really loving hate The Eleven though.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Bliss isn't particularly well liked, mostly because she completely lacks any kind of defining characterisation. And Molly isn't particularly well written either -- I've read a lot of criticism that suggests she's just a collection of character tics looking for a story not written by Nick Briggs or Matt Fitton (and she receives exactly one of those. Whoops!)

People really loving hate The Eleven though.

Wasn't Bliss just intended to be a one boxset character, but they decided to keep her around since they liked the actress, iirc? Molly has a similar issue, where she's only really important to the first Dark Eyes series, and gets phased out for Liv as there's less and less for her to do (and Ruth Bradley was harder to get to booked for recording time).

I thought people liked The Eleven?

I know some people feel that the casting choice for Erimem has aged poorly, but some people really seem to like the character. I admit I've not listened to any of those ones yet.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Wasn't Bliss just intended to be a one boxset character, but they decided to keep her around since they liked the actress, iirc? Molly has a similar issue, where she's only really important to the first Dark Eyes series, and gets phased out for Liv as there's less and less for her to do (and Ruth Bradley was harder to get to booked for recording time).

Bliss was meant to be a random side character IIRC. But since those original three hours of appearances, she's have thirteen more showings and she's been treated very inconsistently. In one of the interviews Thakrar talks about how she has to play the character like she's hiding her personality, which is polite actor interview code for "My character doesn't have a personality."

The two stories that try to give her backstory treat her very shabbily too -- the first sidelines her for three quarters of the story's run time, and the second is a fakeout. Like, literally, the story acts like it's giving Bliss some backstory, but TWIST it's actually the backstory for one of her friends. Who then dies and is never mentioned again.

Oh, and then she catches amnesia from the Eighth Doctor. Twice.

OldMemes posted:

I thought people liked The Eleven?

I'm sure some people do, but I know he's very unpopular in the circles I float around in.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Rhyno posted:

I really hope RTD can convince every living actor who ever guessed on DW to come back for a cameo.

Is Sgt Benton still alive?

I was just watching the blu-ray feature about a weekend with John Levene, and it’s fascinating how important he feels Benton was, and that he’s slightly aggrieved that they’d not called him to appear in the series!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Apparently the new hot rumour is that Tennant is going to play the 14th Doctor, who looks exactly like the 10th Doctor for some reason, for a few episodes then they'll introduce the 15th Doctor.

Which sounds very made up, since the only source is some guy going "trust me bro". In-universe it doesn't make sense - the Curator just happening to look like an elderly version version of the Fourth Doctor made sense in context. It was implied that he was so far into the Doctor's future that he had complete control over regeneration (and that he also wasn't the Fourth Doctor), which worked as a throw away gag.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
I mean, both Tennant and Billie Piper have mentioned in some recent interviews that they'd be interested in revisiting the characters of Ten and Rose, so it's really not all that far-fetched. And I'm sure the BBC is positively salivating at the idea of a second RTD/Tennant era drawing huge ratings for them, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're pushing pretty heavily for that.

It'd be the most creatively bankrupt decision they could make, of course, which is precisely why I see it as a possibility.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

OldMemes posted:

Apparently the new hot rumour is that Tennant is going to play the 14th Doctor, who looks exactly like the 10th Doctor for some reason, for a few episodes then they'll introduce the 15th Doctor.

Which sounds very made up, since the only source is some guy going "trust me bro". In-universe it doesn't make sense - the Curator just happening to look like an elderly version version of the Fourth Doctor made sense in context. It was implied that he was so far into the Doctor's future that he had complete control over regeneration (and that he also wasn't the Fourth Doctor), which worked as a throw away gag.

My phone has been trying to recommend me an article that says that for a week or so. I've not bothered reading it because I really doubt it'll happen for a number of reasons; 1) Tennant is busy. They're making a second season of Good Omens, and a second season of Around the World in 80 days (both of which are adaptations of books which didnt have or need a sequel), 2) I have my issues with a lot of RTDs work on Who, never was the biggest fan of his writing but.... He's just not that creatively bankrupt. Like I'll entertain a lot of criticism of his writing (while simultaneously giving him all due credit for resurrecting the show) but "he's coming back so tennant is coming back as the doctor"? Nah. I'd buy "for an episode" maybe with the caveat "its not really the tenth doctor, its the dream lord/valeyard/whatever we called the clone he left with rose/the doctors subconscious who none of the companions can see and hear" but not as the next canon regeneration. It just smacks of fans with a lot of nostalgia and precious little imagination going "Obviously if RTD is coming back then he's bringing David Tennant and Rose back with him!!!". I'd put more credence into the idea that he was going to cast someone from Its A Sin (he does like working with people hes worked with before) rather than him doing the same thing with the same actor he did last time he was writing the show.

I have zero inside information and I've been wrong before, but I dont think I'm wrong this time. Plus I have no idea what the lead time is or where they are with filming the specials with Whittaker, will they even have cast the next doctor yet?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I never understood why people want Rose back so much. As a jumping on companion to bring the franchise back into public consciousness and reintroduce the key concepts and mythology she was fine, and Piper was good, but there have been much more developed companions since.

Tennant does revisit the character regularly with Big Finish, but like you said, he has a packed schedule, so we don't get as many episodes with him - it seems like they used lockdown to book a lot of recording time with him to bank material for later.

Apparently its the BBC who have requested that the Torchwood audio with Tennant be shelved due to the Barrowman scandal, despite that it'll probably get more sales than normal, so the BBC seem to have some self control in marketing with Tennant.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 23, 2022

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
It's not hard to figure out why people want Ten and Rose back: because they want DW to once again be a quirky, cutesy sci-fi soap opera with Buffy-style dialogue and will they/won't they romantic tension.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It seems a fundamental part of the franchise that the Doctor remain alien and asexual towards humans. Even with River it was a more platonic thing.
Some of the best companions are ones where the Doctor serves as a mentor role until they're able to hold their own, or companions who challenge the Doctor and keep him/her from getting complacent - romantic tension isn't really a part of that.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

OldMemes posted:

It seems a fundamental part of the franchise that the Doctor remain alien and asexual towards humans. Even with River it was a more platonic thing.
Some of the best companions are ones where the Doctor serves as a mentor role until they're able to hold their own, or companions who challenge the Doctor and keep him/her from getting complacent - romantic tension isn't really a part of that.

I mean, I certainly agree with you, but let's not forget that RTD basically plotted out the better part of two seasons to feature a companion who had romantic tension with the Doctor (such that he gave her a not-Doctor lovedoll at the end of the third season), and a companion who pined for the Doctor (two, if you count Jack; if we go back to Ten's first season, you could almost say three, since RTD very heavily implied that Sarah Jane was in love with the Doctor herself), to the point that he had to take a completely different direction for the third season and introduce a companion who didn't fancy the Doctor for a change of pace. And the River Song stuff being more platonic was something I believe Moffat sort-of retconned during his time on the show, because when she first appeared there was definitely a strong implication that they had a very intimate relationship, to the point that she was the only non-Gallifreyan who knew his real name.

That's why people want to see Rose back, to get their sci-fi soap opera fix.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Maybe thats part of it, but I think a big chunk is "When Doctor Who was run by RTD and had David Tennant and Billie Piper in it things were better. We werent in a global pandemic, the show was more popular and I had more people to talk about it with, also I had fewer responsibilities, everything was cheaper and my back didnt hurt. Now RTD is coming back if he gets Tennant and Piper back everything will be the way it was then!"

Basically the same reasons the world almost entirely stopped making good music when you personally left university.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
David Tennant is going to get rid of covid.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

But only if everyone on earth really really wants him to.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Honestly I prefer the Moffat era, especially the Calpaldi run.

Interesting that Martha has basically become a footnote in terms of companions. I'm not that keen on Donna, but I know that's a minority opinion.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

SiKboy posted:

Maybe thats part of it, but I think a big chunk is "When Doctor Who was run by RTD and had David Tennant and Billie Piper in it things were better. We werent in a global pandemic, the show was more popular and I had more people to talk about it with, also I had fewer responsibilities, everything was cheaper and my back didnt hurt. Now RTD is coming back if he gets Tennant and Piper back everything will be the way it was then!"

Basically the same reasons the world almost entirely stopped making good music when you personally left university.

Oh that's exactly it. Creativity be damned, the BBC would happily throw as much money as they could towards RTD's production company to hire Tennant and Piper, if it meant getting the ratings the show got back during the Tenth Doctor's run, and a lot of people would tune in for exactly the reasons you described.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oh that's exactly it. Creativity be damned, the BBC would happily throw as much money as they could towards RTD's production company to hire Tennant and Piper, if it meant getting the ratings the show got back during the Tenth Doctor's run, and a lot of people would tune in for exactly the reasons you described.

I'm curious, what were the general ratings like in the UK for the Smith era vs. the Tennant one? Because, as an American, while the revival was trending upwards all throughout Tennant's tenure, it was when Moffat and Smith took over that the show exploded in popularity here. You were much more likely to see merchandising and advertising with Smith's face on it then Tennant; the season 6 premiere stuff was all over the New York subway systems for a while, etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Class3KillStorm posted:

I'm curious, what were the general ratings like in the UK for the Smith era vs. the Tennant one? Because, as an American, while the revival was trending upwards all throughout Tennant's tenure, it was when Moffat and Smith took over that the show exploded in popularity here. You were much more likely to see merchandising and advertising with Smith's face on it then Tennant; the season 6 premiere stuff was all over the New York subway systems for a while, etc.

Smith and Gillan did a crapload of US tours, they seemed to realize they wern't marketing in the US heavily enough during the RTD era. Moff even did the US filmed episodes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, the Smith era seemed huuuuge. Day of the Doctor had same day cinema screenings all over the US and they were packed out. I remember seeing a reaction video for “You know I really think you might.” and it was like the portals in Avengers: Endgame. :dance:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, the Smith era seemed huuuuge. Day of the Doctor had same day cinema screenings all over the US and they were packed out. I remember seeing a reaction video for “You know I really think you might.” and it was like the portals in Avengers: Endgame. :dance:

I went to such a screening and it was sold out, crazy times.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Got a disturbing clickbait article this morning saying Jodie had been snubbed for her regeneration and that they were just going to reboot the entire thing from scratch. Later in the article Jodie mentions how emotional it was filming her final regeneration scene. So I don't know what to make of this dumbass article that worked on me to click it, but surely the idea of rebooting Doctor Who is franchise suicide, right? Especially since the show literally already has every tool to reboot itself whenever it needs to while also maintaining a wibbly wobbly time continuity.

Then again, Chibs did destroy the universe and hasn't seemed to really repair it and maybe RTD is having him let that fly because they'll want the universe destroyed so they can swing the reboot angle?

Speaking for myself as only a mid-level Doctor Who nerd, half of the things that excite me or that I have questions, theories, fantasies about involve the immense backlog of characters and stories. It's a lot of fun when old and new lores collide and it's even more fun to just imagine the crossings over given the nature of time & space travel. Oh I wonder if Clara ever met the Doctor during this event, oh I wonder Peri has been up to for decades, oh what the gently caress is that alien and why acting like it's some hot shot I should know, oh i wonder if the doctor would ever rip off his head and replace it with a snowman and go around spooking mean snowmen aliens and someones like yeah they did that in the doctor who manga in 1964 -- it's great!

Doing a reboot or even a twisted Disney canon-mulching seems like a bad move for Who. I get clean slate easier to jump on for a newbie, but the slate being a mess IS the slate.

I just want someone to put hand on my shoulder and tell me it'll all be alright and they'd better not look into the middle distance thinking about what they aren't telling me.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sydney Bottocks posted:

A lot of people would tune in... once. Theres no way a nostalgia tour holds its ratings past the initial curiosity. If all you want is the one off nostalgia pop then do a multi doctor story.

Khanstant posted:

Got a disturbing clickbait article this morning saying Jodie had been snubbed for her regeneration and that they were just going to reboot the entire thing from scratch. Later in the article Jodie mentions how emotional it was filming her final regeneration scene. So I don't know what to make of this dumbass article that worked on me to click it, but surely the idea of rebooting Doctor Who is franchise suicide, right? Especially since the show literally already has every tool to reboot itself whenever it needs to while also maintaining a wibbly wobbly time continuity.

Then again, Chibs did destroy the universe and hasn't seemed to really repair it and maybe RTD is having him let that fly because they'll want the universe destroyed so they can swing the reboot angle?

Speaking for myself as only a mid-level Doctor Who nerd, half of the things that excite me or that I have questions, theories, fantasies about involve the immense backlog of characters and stories. It's a lot of fun when old and new lores collide and it's even more fun to just imagine the crossings over given the nature of time & space travel. Oh I wonder if Clara ever met the Doctor during this event, oh I wonder Peri has been up to for decades, oh what the gently caress is that alien and why acting like it's some hot shot I should know, oh i wonder if the doctor would ever rip off his head and replace it with a snowman and go around spooking mean snowmen aliens and someones like yeah they did that in the doctor who manga in 1964 -- it's great!

Doing a reboot or even a twisted Disney canon-mulching seems like a bad move for Who. I get clean slate easier to jump on for a newbie, but the slate being a mess IS the slate.

I just want someone to put hand on my shoulder and tell me it'll all be alright and they'd better not look into the middle distance thinking about what they aren't telling me.

Theres no way. a) as you say it would be both stupid and unnecessary with Who, the regeneration is a built in reboot device that lets them keep what they want and discard everything they dont. b) if someone was going to reboot the thing from scratch, binning 60 years of history... it wouldnt be RTD (or moffat or chibnell). Like I honestly believe you could literally put a gun to his head and demand that Rusty do that and he'd still try to argue the point. He's not just the showrunner, hes also a massive fan, for good and bad, and the good is "There is no way on earth he'd do that". The dude personally protected the Big Finish license. Basically stop reading articles about doctor who, 90% of them are based on nothing but someone on twitter deciding that what they wish would happen is whats going to happen (and since jodie took over a lot of that is driven by rampant misogyny, so thats fun). The other 10% either take one particle of truth and coat it in clickbait (scroll through the abysmally laid out article to see one blurry set photo that confirms, yep, they've filming in Cardiff again) or in the tiny number of significant leaks, spoil something it would have been fun to see without reading about it first.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
With the big launch being the 60th anniversary, throwing out the show’s history is simply not going to happen, even if selling Who abroad weren’t a going concern.

With the possibility of COVID protocols being in place for a while, I wonder if RTD might not steal another books/Big Finish concept and have a multi-Doctor episode where the Doctors spend most (or all) of the story apart, but each Doctor’s actions change the circumstances for the others. That allows you to keep teasing the audience with the idea the Doctors might meet while delaying the point where it happens.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
FWIW, I saw the same clickbait headline about Jodie not getting a regeneration scene in my Google news feed this morning, and every single one of them was linked by some UK chud Tory-supporting newspaper: The Sun, the Telegraph, and (oh my god) the Daily Mail. It's misogynistic right-wing incel fantasy bullshit.

SiKboy posted:

A lot of people would tune in... once. Theres no way a nostalgia tour holds its ratings past the initial curiosity. If all you want is the one off nostalgia pop then do a multi doctor story.

Highly disagree, I'm certain there is a fairly sizable segment of the DW fanbase that would absolutely lap up a return to the "glory days" of Ten and Rose, even if just for one season. But we'll just have to wait and see! :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 24, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The same guys who've sworn she was fired at the end of every series.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

Then again, Chibs did destroy the universe and hasn't seemed to really repair it

That's not the first time that's been done, a huge portion of the universe was destroyed in 1981 in Logopolis, it's just something that happens

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Honestly that's really reassuring. And really if half my universe were destroyed it'll definitely take more than my lifetime to even notice, unless they destroyed my part specifically and even then who knows and even more who knows if I'd knows.

SiKboy posted:

Theres no way.

Also very much shame on me for clicking the google click baits, maybe not a smart way to wake up in the mornings to see during morning pee anyhow. Half the time it's clickbait for stuff we already talked about in this very forum days before, the other half are google searches coming back to plague me, I wanted to look up someone, not subscribe to their fart reports. Good observation about the article sources too, seems obvious now but wasn't even looking before and that very much explains the like spiteful tone to it all.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why are we saying The Doctor's relationship with their wife was platonic, now?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Clickbait articles love to lead with things like FANS CONFUSED OVER LATEST EPISODE - IS DOCTOR WHO SLIPPING? and HUGE RATINGS DROP FOR DOCTOR WHO!! without any kind of evidence for it. It's particularly loathsome because they already have the classic "[ACTOR] JUST CONFIRMED WHAT WE ALL EXPECTED ABOUT [OTHER ACTOR'S] ON SET BEHAVIOR!" that lets them lure people in (to what inevitably turns out to be some harmless "They were a pleasure to work with"), instead of inventing stuff.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think that's just the ever burning conflict between Horny Doctor advocates and Asexual Doctor advocates.

I see both sides of the matter and I just go by a companion-to-companion basis. I feel The Doctor is either/both a person sometimes seconds old and they die after several years (or infinity) and also one of immeasurable ancientness, one of the oldest of the old. I think it's weird when vampires hit on young humans, and usually also when a Doctor does it. On the other hand, not a lot of gallifreyans around, even fewer of his age, even fewer of his age who don't want to kill them or the universe. Some companions I think are "cosmic" enough to be non-yucky dating partners. River, Jack, Clara, maybe Rory I kind of forget if he did a lot of just stood round the tomb for ages in boring stasis. It's when he finds some teenager just out of school unsure what to do with their lives and Doctor swoops in that it's a bit weird to me. I love Rose and all, but the dynamic will always give me that kind of ooh creepy ol Zeus coming down as a goose to gently caress some geese kinda poo poo. Reckon the oops-all-human Doctor copy kind of dodges around the matter, maybe, idk.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of my favorite bits in the first season of the Revival is when the Doctor brings Rose back home after a year instead of a day so they have to bullshit a story about traveling around Europe together, and a cop gets called (because she's a reported missing person), listens to the story and just immediately asks,"So is this a sexual relationship?" because it's absolutely what somebody would think about a older (way older than they think!) man suddenly taking a 19-year-old girl on a year-long trip around Europe.

It was great that they broached the subject and made it clear it wasn't. Then of course the Tennant years happened and things got a lot weirder and unsettling culminating in the dildo Doctor, oof.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My first thought then and now was Doctor should've been banging Rose's mom, who was extremely d2f and more appropriate a partner. Also Rose's mom would've been a fantastic companion, leave Rose home to find a proper earth partner, Rose's mom already had a kid and lived a life and is due for a galactic opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

One of the early questions RTD was asked when he brought back Who was if his show was going to ignore the Fox TV movie and Paul McGann, and his response was basically "Hell no!"