Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Rhyno posted:

how DARE you

As a kid in junior high, I loved the poo poo out of The Twin Dilemma (both the TV episodes and the novelization of same).

As a grownup watching it again after so long, "what the gently caress was JNT thinking :cripes:" kept going through my mind, in regards to almost every aspect of the story in particular and the beginning of the Sixth Doctor's run overall. It's almost impossible to believe that this was the same producer and script editor that had brought us The Caves of Androzani just one story previous. It's just so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I unapologetically love the Sixth Doctor's outfit.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Davros1 posted:

I dunno if I just got old or what. As a kid I was ok with it, but as an adult I just cannot loving stand it. That's why I basically said in my little review of it (as part of Season 21) that if JNT expected that seeing the bombastic loudmouth in the awful suit browbeat and even physically assault the pretty "American" lady would pique the audience's interest in seeing how it all played out in Season 22, boy was he in for a big surprise.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I dunno if I just got old or what. As a kid I was ok with it, but as an adult I just cannot loving stand it. That's why I basically said in my little review of it (as part of Season 21) that if JNT expected that seeing the bombastic loudmouth in the awful suit browbeat and even physically assault the pretty "American" lady would pique the audience's interest in seeing how it all played out in Season 22, boy was he in for a big surprise.

There's something about the way the coat interacts with the studio lights and shooting on video that makes it repulsive, I don't know how else to describe it. If you see it in natural lighting when they're shooting outside on film, it's fine, if a bit gauche, but in 80s British television studios it is vomit inducing.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Davros1 posted:

:hmmyes:

It just works so well with how Baker played the Doctor

Scarily so; at times the coat simply doesn't register because the personality wearing it is so...Colin - sure, when you're looking at a picture of it your eyes start screaming for death, but in motion, it's fantastic

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Davros1 posted:

I don't think I've seen all that many episodes of the Sixth Doctor, so I'm not sure if he actually wore it or not... but he had that striking deep blue coat which I thought looked great. I hated that technicolour coat, Tom Baker was borderline (but eccentric and genuinely lovable enough that it became iconic) but it's like they took the thought way too far... Way, way too far!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Unfortunately this was never real. It was created for Real Time, an animated/audio webcast serial from the early 2000s. While it’s a popular look (there’s a couple of action figures in it), Baker never wore it in the show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Addendum: fans have colourised footage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chh5Rvszzws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKTV3FE6UFc

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SecretOfSteel posted:

I don't think I've seen all that many episodes of the Sixth Doctor, so I'm not sure if he actually wore it or not... but he had that striking deep blue coat which I thought looked great.

There's the shawl from Revelation of the Daleks:

And there's the Blue Coat that's used for Big Finish a lot of the time, which first appeared in the animated story Real Time in 2002, included because the animation wasn't sophisticated enough to render the normal suit:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

SecretOfSteel posted:

I don't think I've seen all that many episodes of the Sixth Doctor, so I'm not sure if he actually wore it or not... but he had that striking deep blue coat which I thought looked great. I hated that technicolour coat, Tom Baker was borderline (but eccentric and genuinely lovable enough that it became iconic) but it's like they took the thought way too far... Way, way too far!

I absolutely hated Tom's last costume (the maroon costume).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Davros1 posted:

I absolutely hated Tom's last costume (the maroon costume).

In his quest to make the show more "marketable", JNT looked at the most popular Doctor with the most iconic outfit of the show, and said "what we need to do is make it all one color" :stare:

The_Doctor posted:

Unfortunately this was never real. It was created for Real Time, an animated/audio webcast serial from the early 2000s. While it’s a popular look (there’s a couple of action figures in it), Baker never wore it in the show.

This would have worked soooo much better. Not only is it easier to actually, you know, look at, but it'd have provided a nice visual contrast to Six's more bombastic moments.

I'll have to check this out! Is there any way to just put the blue outfit throughout all his episodes? :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 9, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The fanart of Dan/Karvanista that did the rounds on Twitter is canon, apparently.

https://twitter.com/robritchie409/status/1479939343024336898

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And there's the Blue Coat that's used for Big Finish a lot of the time, which first appeared in the animated story Real Time in 2002, included because the animation wasn't sophisticated enough to render the normal suit:

I love this! Looks comfy and magical.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

The_Doctor posted:

The fanart of Dan/Karvanista that did the rounds on Twitter is canon, apparently.

sickos_YES.jpg

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The_Doctor posted:

lmfao thank you for posting this

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

lol, he's a good sport about it

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Tempus_Fugit0/status/1479953871229403142

Might as well laugh about it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Eleventh Doctor really did get around:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-matt-smith-doctor-who-2022-calendar/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Weren't they trying to reboot Buffy? I can totally see Doctor fitting into a Buffy crossover adventure and ten years ago I'd think it was a fruitless pipe dream but these days everything's slapping metaverses together and companies are a little more eager to take ownership of meme things using their IP.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexm247/status/1478546314803781634

That’s hilarious

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Colin Baker was so good as the Doctor that he managed despite a terrible costume and bad scripts.

Recent Big Finish listens:

Masters of Earth was a fun Dalek story. Nicola Bryant gets a fair bit of mileage by playing one of the older variants of Peri, rather than the younger version from the TV show. There's some fun stuff playing around with the Dalek occupation setting, and the Sixth Doctor desperately trying not to save the day, lest he cause a time paradox. Even the Varga plants get a good show in here.

In the Fifth Doctor sale, I've picked up Time in Office and Prisoners of Fate. Not sure if I should have grabbed Cobwebs too - the Fifth Doctor is probably my least favourite incarnation, but audio plays to Davison's strengths as an actor, so he's been growing on me recently.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 9, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The John Bishop stuff is hilarious but nothing made me belly-laugh quite as much as seeing 11 in that calendar next to Buffy :lol:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

The_Doctor posted:

drat, I really like it too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The John Bishop stuff is hilarious but nothing made me belly-laugh quite as much as seeing 11 in that calendar next to Buffy :lol:

He just looks like he fits lmao

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Don't sleep on Azal in the background

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Buffy the Vampire Slayer stole the "speculative fiction on Fox filmed with rubber masks" slot from the Eighth Doctor so it's only fair that he crashed their calendar.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Don't sleep on Azal in the background

I can’t, he’s very spiky.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The trouble with that whole calendar thing is that they stole the image online without contacting the original artist.

Which is pretty lovely, and depending on how widespread the calendar was released could get them in trouble were the artist particularly litigious...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Bicyclops posted:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer stole the "speculative fiction on Fox filmed with rubber masks" slot from the Eighth Doctor so it's only fair that he crashed their calendar.

You'd think they would have at least used a Doctor and monster from RTD's era since he basically cribbed heavily from BtVS for his run on DW

I wonder which current US supernatural dramedy show he'll crib from when he takes over again next year :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd genuinely love to see a version of the Doctor hunting monsters across time. Just toss some wheels on the Tardis and give him a sonic shotgun.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zaroff posted:

The trouble with that whole calendar thing is that they stole the image online without contacting the original artist.

Which is pretty lovely, and depending on how widespread the calendar was released could get them in trouble were the artist particularly litigious...

Would be an interesting case considering the original artist here just took two copyrighted images and put one into the other.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zaroff posted:

Yeah, it does suck, and it's a common problem with these kinds of calendars. The "stealing fandom edits" is actually the better version - the worse one is the companies that will search online for pin-up photos with a theme and include them without asking permission of the people in the photos, which happens literally every year.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'd genuinely love to see a version of the Doctor hunting monsters across time. Just toss some wheels on the Tardis and give him a sonic shotgun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

This would also be acceptable.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In his quest to make the show more "marketable", JNT looked at the most popular Doctor with the most iconic outfit of the show, and said "what we need to do is make it all one color" :stare:

For some reason, when he took over JNT thought the cast members needed "uniforms", which is why for Tom's last season and Davison's first season Tegan stuck with her air hostess uniform, Nyssa stayed with her Traken attire, and Adric wore his pajamas.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Davros1 posted:

For some reason, when he took over JNT thought the cast members needed "uniforms", which is why for Tom's last season and Davison's first season Tegan stuck with her air hostess uniform, Nyssa stayed with her Traken attire, and Adric wore his pajamas.

Nyssa's early costume really suited her character, wasn't it changed up so Sarah Sutton could move around more easily in action scenes, iirc? The best Fifth Doctor costume trivia is that Peter Davison is wearing one of his old costumes in Timecrash, but it turned out that the trousers weren't his, but were actually Colin Baker's - they'd been modified to fit Baker's frame for the post-regeneration scenes. So Davison had to perform in Baker's old cast offs. And apparently Mark Strickson was only provided with two suits for Turlough, which caused budget issues when he wore out the knees for his stunt suit.

Getting Janet Fielding back for Big Finish was a good move, so they didn't have to keep handwaving away the 'Tegan just decided not to come outside for this adventure' issue.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Nyssa's early costume really suited her character, wasn't it changed up so Sarah Sutton could move around more easily in action scenes, iirc? The best Fifth Doctor costume trivia is that Peter Davison is wearing one of his old costumes in Timecrash, but it turned out that the trousers weren't his, but were actually Colin Baker's - they'd been modified to fit Baker's frame for the post-regeneration scenes. So Davison had to perform in Baker's old cast offs. And apparently Mark Strickson was only provided with two suits for Turlough, which caused budget issues when he wore out the knees for his stunt suit.

Getting Janet Fielding back for Big Finish was a good move, so they didn't have to keep handwaving away the 'Tegan just decided not to come outside for this adventure' issue.

The Fifth Doctor and Nyssa Big Finish adventures are set between Time-Flight and Arc of Infinity, so Tegan wasn't with them.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Davros1 posted:

The Fifth Doctor and Nyssa Big Finish adventures are set between Time-Flight and Arc of Infinity, so Tegan wasn't with them.

And I believe it's the same with Five/Turlough, having their Tegan-less adventures set between Resurrection of the Daleks and Planet of Fire.

Davros1 posted:

IIRC, JNT's idea was that having a standard outfit made the characters more recognizable, and thus more marketable, along the lines of a superhero's costume. The flaw in his logic is that most heroes in other media don't wear their costumes 24/7 (except for maybe Judge Dredd), so all he did was make people think that the TARDIS crew in the 1980s either stank to high heaven, or did nothing but wash their single set of clothes in between adventures. :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 12, 2022

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Isn't there like just one time in his whole run where the Fifth Doctor uses the TARDIS alone without any of his companions, and even that's off-screen between two scenes of the same story? And that's where they had to cram Time Crash and any other companionless appearances, so there's like a couple years' worth of solo adventures taking place between scenes. The moment he gets the smallest chance of spending some time alone away from his rotten kids he absolutely makes the most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
IIRC, there is one BF Fifth Doctor story where Tegan just refuses to leave the TARDIS, but it's a comedy story and she still has an (unspoken) cameo. It's pretty funny.

Forktoss posted:

Isn't there like just one time in his whole run where the Fifth Doctor uses the TARDIS alone without any of his companions, and even that's off-screen between two scenes of the same story? And that's where they had to cram Time Crash and any other companionless appearances, so there's like a couple years' worth of solo adventures taking place between scenes. The moment he gets the smallest chance of spending some time alone away from his rotten kids he absolutely makes the most of it.

Big Finish recently made a new gap during the Nyssa / Tegan period where the Fifth Doxtor is travelling solo, so a lot of stories are being placed there now.