Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Two Owls posted:

This Mines of Terror erasure will not stand

Look at him go

They didn't have enough room in the game's budget to animate both Six's confidence-bordering-on-arrogance stride and Peri's bouncing bosom, so they just split the difference :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They didn't have enough room in the game's budget to animate both Six's confidence-bordering-on-arrogance stride and Peri's bouncing bosom, so they just split the difference :v:

This made me laugh pretty hard.

I've been listening to the Tenth Doctor/River Song set, and so far the highlight has been Six setting up his answering machine and getting increasingly aggravated with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh wow, odd that she'd announce she's staying on the show with RTD so early and choose to do it there, but yay!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
that's perfect! squeeze it into the next special, and may doctor ever have to stand alone again

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

It seems odd that they're not doing an Out of Time story with 10 and 7, but Sylvester McCoy was largely unavailable for recording during a lot of lockdown because of bad wi-fi and him not being good with tech. I suppose scheduling Tennant is hard, so Big Finish took advantage of lockdown to bank as much material with him as possible until he's got time to do more.

I thought the Weeping Angels worked surprisingly well on audio in Doom Coalition considering their gimmick is a visual one.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Potentially relevant.

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1482679208795344901

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Excellent, we can go back to the Classic-style storytelling where the budget's five pounds and half a sandwich and there's only two rooms for sets (one of which is the TARDIS console)

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Well, that makes sense why they have RTD making a Dr Who company to handle the Who business. The BBC knew this was going down and have started to prepare for other avenues of money.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/soundsmythprod/status/1482735347507281920

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Every time I see another promotion for the Eve Online Doctor Who thing, I get more and more irrationally angry that they didn't go for "Eve Online of the Daleks" instead.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Given the news about the planned abolition of the licence fee, how do you think this may impact DW? Bad Wolf Productions are making the show now, so there's a chance that it won't affect the show much at all. Right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If it is a success, the Tories will say this proves the value of public/private partnerships and sell the BBC to Rupert Murdoch. If it is a failure, they will say this proves the BBC's inability to run and sell it to Rupert Murdoch.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Prole posted:

Given the news about the planned abolition of the licence fee, how do you think this may impact DW? Bad Wolf Productions are making the show now, so there's a chance that it won't affect the show much at all. Right?

From what I understand, the Beeb still owns DW outright, so it would ultimately come down to whether or not DW makes enough money for the BBC to justify paying for it to be made.

That said, DW was a huge moneymaker for the BBC, in terms of both merchandise and licensing fees for the program to be shown overseas. I dunno if that's still the case given how Chibnall's run the show into the ground, but I would imagine interest has been renewed now that RTD's returning, since he basically led the show into a new age of popularity during his run.

(fun fact: BBC America, despite its name, is *not* actually just an American wing of the BBC, but a separate concern in its own right, that has to pay for the rights to show original BBC content, including DW, just like any other American cable TV network. This came up a a while back, during Tennant's era IIRC, when someone asked a BBCA bigwig during a Q&A why they stopped showing the classic (i.e., Tom Baker) DW episodes along with other older BBC shows, and the answer was "we couldn't afford to show them any more" because they weren't bringing in enough advertiser money to offset the licensing costs. Just in case anyone ever wondered why BBCA transitioned from showing older BBC shows to the crap they air nowadays. :v:)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's probably worse for other shows than it is for Doctor Who, because the show has proven international appeal, nostalgia value and a successful producer is already attached to it. It's a brand. It explains not only why Davies is attached but why he's been talking about it the way that he does, focusing on an expanded universe and whatnot. I would bet that HBO has had their eye on the rights to make Doctor Who material for awhile now, so they can give it the same treatment they gave Sesame Street. This is just going to be the way TV is for awhile, I guess. It sucks for the next potential show like Doctor Who, something weird and quirky that's hard to describe and market. There's going to be like fifteen years where all of those die on the vine.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
As much as the ratings dropped under Chibnall (and it's worth noting Who was still *ranking* well overall, so a lot of this is just "fewer people watching TV"), I get the feeling the whole co-production and hiring RTD thing is less because they needed to Save the Series and more because they value it and would like to get more than 5 episodes a year please. RTD's run was the last time the show's schedule was anything close to reliable and while he may not be able to achieve that he'll probably get closer.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I keep reading the thread title as "Gay Year Specials"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Vinylshadow posted:

I didn't want to say anything but I keep reading it as "Gay Pear Specials" :sweatdrop:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Vinylshadow posted:

Oh thank god it’s not just me :sweatdrop:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

:same:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Maxwell Lord posted:

As much as the ratings dropped under Chibnall (and it's worth noting Who was still *ranking* well overall, so a lot of this is just "fewer people watching TV"), I get the feeling the whole co-production and hiring RTD thing is less because they needed to Save the Series and more because they value it and would like to get more than 5 episodes a year please. RTD's run was the last time the show's schedule was anything close to reliable and while he may not be able to achieve that he'll probably get closer.

While that may be part of it, I still maintain that the BBC is desperate to return to the glory days of Tennant's era when the show was incredibly popular across the globe, and their view is that since RTD did it once before, he can do it again. Especially now that they really will need a hugely popular cultural juggernaut of a show to justify why people need to keep giving them money, whether via the license fee or a subscription or whatever. Even if RTD only managed to do six episodes a year, if it was hugely popular the Beeb would be fine with it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I didn't want to say anything but I keep reading it as "Gay Pear Specials" :sweatdrop:

:hmmyes:

I wonder how fast Four would've tapped those wires together if it meant no more pears, gay or otherwise, in the universe, or if Ten and Twelve would arrive and force him to do it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is that news in general not just bad news in general for programming? For such a tiny island there's a disproportionate amount of media I enjoy from them. It also seemed expressly good to have a media outfit with an imposed mission to serve various demographics of the people instead of just whoever is most profitably targeted. Doctor Who is a big enough Thing I'm sure it'll be fine either way, but geez, kind of seems like a dark herald for the end of an era, no? There's shockingly little "public" anythings in the world left, and seems like a lot of the quality and atmosphere of BBC shows stemmed directly from not being beholden to the same oppressive homogenizing forces capitalism has on nearly all other media. UK cutting off its face to spite its own nose far too often past many years.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Khanstant posted:

Is that news in general not just bad news in general for programming? For such a tiny island there's a disproportionate amount of media I enjoy from them. It also seemed expressly good to have a media outfit with an imposed mission to serve various demographics of the people instead of just whoever is most profitably targeted. Doctor Who is a big enough Thing I'm sure it'll be fine either way, but geez, kind of seems like a dark herald for the end of an era, no? There's shockingly little "public" anythings in the world left, and seems like a lot of the quality and atmosphere of BBC shows stemmed directly from not being beholden to the same oppressive homogenizing forces capitalism has on nearly all other media. UK cutting off its face to spite its own nose far too often past many years.

The problem with being a government-owned body is when you get a government in that's absolutely hostile to the concept of "government-owned", they start doing whatever they can to tear you down, this is just the latest attempt by pro-capitalist politicians to dismantle any public services in Britain that they can so they can be just like their good buddies here in the States.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Every time here as well :laugh:

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Just realised I still haven't watched the New Year special. Might have to rectify that later.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Prole posted:

Just realised I still haven't watched the New Year special. Might have to rectify that later.

It's very good, easily the best of Chibnall-written episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, just a really enjoyable episode with a fun gimmick, well worth watching and has me with high hopes for the next special.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Here's something I'm hoping we won't see make a return in RTD's second run on the series: lovely Whedonesque dialogue inspired by that loving pervert's dumb-rear end shows :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I had been a little behind, so I watched the previous seasons's two-parter finale, the Flux season and the New Year special all at once, and I think the New Year's special was a big improvement.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Bicyclops posted:

I had been a little behind, so I watched the previous seasons's two-parter finale, the Flux season and the New Year special all at once, and I think the New Year's special was a big improvement.

Absolutely. I binged from Flux on as well, and I can't tell you more than bits n pieces of Flux. But all about the Special.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Here's something I'm hoping we won't see make a return in RTD's second run on the series: lovely Whedonesque dialogue inspired by that loving pervert's dumb-rear end shows :v:

Though as bad as Whedonesque dialogue is, it’s actually one of the least annoying quirks of Pervy Joss.

The whole “petite barefoot women that can totally kick your rear end” thing was always much worse.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

TinTower posted:

Though as bad as Whedonesque dialogue is, it’s actually one of the least annoying quirks of Pervy Joss.

The whole “petite barefoot women that can totally kick your rear end” thing was always much worse.

Well, that was just him putting one of his kinks/fetishes into his shows. I'd say his dialogue was far more insidious of an influence since people who really should know better, like RTD for example, claimed Buffy et al as an influence on their work (RTD in particular modeling nuWho off of it).

Whedon's dialogue is loving insufferable trash, and it's unfortunate that it took him being revealed as a singularly terrible human being for people to start distancing themselves from his very overrated work.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Khanstant posted:

The BBC could, and frequently did, take risks with its programming. Case in point is Doctor Who, but the same is true of many other shows they produce, such as Jonathan Creek and Inside No. 9. Their more consistent income stream means it benefits them to take risks and produce weirder programming, as they're uniquely positioned to absorb any failures. Without the license fee, they'll be any old television station. They'll be able to produce more Who, but expect a stale attenpt at franchise expansion akin to Star Wars or Star Trek, probably following the Big Finish model of spin-offs focusing on establushed characters. It could get very fan wanky, very quickly. Might all go great, however, it's hard to say at this point, but abolishing the license fee will certainly hurt the BBC's creativity.

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 18, 2022

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

(fun fact: BBC America, despite its name, is *not* actually just an American wing of the BBC, but a separate concern in its own right, that has to pay for the rights to show original BBC content, including DW, just like any other American cable TV network. This came up a a while back, during Tennant's era IIRC, when someone asked a BBCA bigwig during a Q&A why they stopped showing the classic (i.e., Tom Baker) DW episodes along with other older BBC shows, and the answer was "we couldn't afford to show them any more" because they weren't bringing in enough advertiser money to offset the licensing costs. Just in case anyone ever wondered why BBCA transitioned from showing older BBC shows to the crap they air nowadays. :v:)

I mean it's the classic internal market stuff, you can benefit the corporation as a whole at no extra cost but nooooo

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The problem with being a government-owned body is when you get a government in that's absolutely hostile to the concept of "government-owned", they start doing whatever they can to tear you down, this is just the latest attempt by pro-capitalist politicians to dismantle any public services in Britain that they can so they can be just like their good buddies here in the States.

One thing Corbyn wanted to do was to change the statutory basis of the BBC so it was harder for governments to gently caress around with it, but the Beeb decided to wanted to do things like demand to know if Labour would nationalise sausages

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

One thing Corbyn wanted to do was to change the statutory basis of the BBC so it was harder for governments to gently caress around with it, but the Beeb decided to wanted to do things like demand to know if Labour would nationalise sausages

Well clearly Corbyn just didn't have his fingers on the pulse of what the British public was really concerned about :colbert: *remembers seeing Boris crack jokes on HIGNFY, gives the Tories a sweeping majority in Parliament*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If we had to suffer through the bullshit of a Trump Presidency I'm still mad we never got this in reality to at least kinda make up for it:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
After Corbyn was photographed holding a blu-ray copy of Sil and the Devil Seeds of Arodor, he never really stood a chance.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Forktoss posted:

After Corbyn was photographed holding a blu-ray copy of Sil and the Devil Seeds of Arodor, he never really stood a chance.

My nephew's uncle's cousin's auntie's best friend's gardener knows someone who works at the Guardian, and they told me that Corbyn was overheard telling acquaintances that the Hinchcliffe/Holmes era was "overrated", that he preferred "the maroon outfit and scarf", and that he reckoned Adric "deserved at least one more season", at which point the British media all agreed to make him look as bad as possible so as not to let an "obviously insane person" like that into No. 10.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Corbyn cheerfully handing a big jar of something called "carrot jam" to Six, who walks away frowning and whispering "Doesn't he look anti-semitic?" to one of his aides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Something old
Something red
Something nationalised
Something electorally dead