Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
IIRC, there is one BF Fifth Doctor story where Tegan just refuses to leave the TARDIS, but it's a comedy story and she still has an (unspoken) cameo. It's pretty funny.

Forktoss posted:

Isn't there like just one time in his whole run where the Fifth Doctor uses the TARDIS alone without any of his companions, and even that's off-screen between two scenes of the same story? And that's where they had to cram Time Crash and any other companionless appearances, so there's like a couple years' worth of solo adventures taking place between scenes. The moment he gets the smallest chance of spending some time alone away from his rotten kids he absolutely makes the most of it.

Big Finish recently made a new gap during the Nyssa / Tegan period where the Fifth Doxtor is travelling solo, so a lot of stories are being placed there now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

Well, that's unfortunate

I thought the new All Creatures was pretty decent? :shrug:

Khanstant posted:

IIRC the cartoons looked really really bad. Where are they cobbling them together from anyway, just scripts and things? Hopefully the source material is at least released since I don't thin kthe cartoon was the appeal here so much as getting those lost episodes back in some form.

It's all based on telesnaps and bootleg recordings of the original show. Last I checked that was all still available on the BBC website for free, though that's been a long while. Additionally, Audible's licenced the BBC radio reconstructions, which have added linking narration and audio description to make up for the absent visuals.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

I think its only C'rizz, Thomas Brewster and Will Arrowsmith that fans didn't seem to warm to?

Bliss isn't particularly well liked, mostly because she completely lacks any kind of defining characterisation. And Molly isn't particularly well written either -- I've read a lot of criticism that suggests she's just a collection of character tics looking for a story not written by Nick Briggs or Matt Fitton (and she receives exactly one of those. Whoops!)

People really loving hate The Eleven though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Wasn't Bliss just intended to be a one boxset character, but they decided to keep her around since they liked the actress, iirc? Molly has a similar issue, where she's only really important to the first Dark Eyes series, and gets phased out for Liv as there's less and less for her to do (and Ruth Bradley was harder to get to booked for recording time).

Bliss was meant to be a random side character IIRC. But since those original three hours of appearances, she's have thirteen more showings and she's been treated very inconsistently. In one of the interviews Thakrar talks about how she has to play the character like she's hiding her personality, which is polite actor interview code for "My character doesn't have a personality."

The two stories that try to give her backstory treat her very shabbily too -- the first sidelines her for three quarters of the story's run time, and the second is a fakeout. Like, literally, the story acts like it's giving Bliss some backstory, but TWIST it's actually the backstory for one of her friends. Who then dies and is never mentioned again.

Oh, and then she catches amnesia from the Eighth Doctor. Twice.

OldMemes posted:

I thought people liked The Eleven?

I'm sure some people do, but I know he's very unpopular in the circles I float around in.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a creature feature where the creature is Stitch from Lilo and Stitch. It owns.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

The Unbound Doctor played by David Warner is a supporting character in the Bernice Summerfield series, apparently (although I'm guessing it's very easy for them to get Lisa Bowerman and Warner to work together).

Warner's not been easy to get for the last year, for whatever reason. I think he struggles with at home recording, despite, yeah, living with Lisa. It's part of the reason that we've not had any original Bernice content for the last year, that and the John Barrowman stuff.

Rhyno posted:

People only like the Children of Earth Mini, otherwise Torchwood is trash.

This is, depending on how you look at it, tragic, but the radio Torchwood plays have been by far the most consistently excellent Doctor Who made the last few years.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Whoatse that thing behind them? Radical Cyberman modernization or just copy pasted from a videogame?

vidja

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

Mostly yes. We don't REALLY know where 'the bald one' falls into it, he exists in that weird space along with the Beevers version who returns as well.

There are a few John Dorney stories that cement BF's perspective on the character (mostly The Two Masters and his work on Ravagers).

Roughly it goes: Delgado -> Beevers -> McQueen (...) Jacobi -> Simm -> Missy with the idea that the Beevers incarnation experimented with a variety of ways of extending his life, resulting in the Anthony Ainley and Eric Roberts versions.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

I think. The real confusion is if the decayed Master is a destroyed version of the UNIT enemy Master body, a failed attempt to regenerate into a 14th incarnation, or a damaged version of Beevers as the 13th Master. All of which have been suggested by different writers, iirc.

BF lore -- which is what a lot of your explanation is running off of -- argues that the Beevers Master is a separate incarnation to Delgado. Eventually Beevers is scarred on Terserus.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

When did BF change their stance on hiring soundalikes or whatever to play the Doctors that had passed on? I remember many years ago they used to have a FAQ with a line that said something like "you could hire David Troughton to play his dad, Sean Pertwee to play his dad, etc" and their response was "we wouldn't want to do that because we wouldn't want to risk potentially disrespecting the memories of Hartnell, Troughton, or Pertwee". Obviously their stance on that has changed, but I was curious as to when that happened; like was it after Frazer Hines started doing his very credible Troughton impersonation during the Companion Chronicles, or was it when the Beeb hired David Warner to play Hartnell in the TV movie about the show's origins (and also to play the First Doctor in Capaldi's last couple of episodes)?

E: David Bradley, not David Warner (though Warner did of course do some DW stuff for BF)

Entirely down to a change in management -- Gary Russell was strongly against the idea of recasts, while Nick Briggs and Ken Bentley are very much for it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There are different eras of McGann performance at BF, some which capture a silly youthfulness, and others that are a bit angrier and darker. Some of the later stuff depicts the character as being straight up mentally unstable.

The "current" era -- Stranded -- is a bit more laconic, but there's space in the performance for a lot of different shades.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

His Doctor isn't as flat as Davison's, but he's often dispassionate and he might have the worst writing of any Doctor in the Big Finish line (yes, he has some great stories, I'm talking about overall).

They've done some cool things with Davison the last few years -- the arc Guy Adams plotted has the character reach a breaking point, and pushes the fractious 80's TARDIS crew to some new places. That and they started shipping Nyssa and Tegan more earnestly (though BF is too much of a coward to actually go there, sadly).

Then Guy Adams left the company and the arc wraps perfunctorily, but whatever, you can't have everything.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Strong Convections posted:

Is there an obvious "this is the best one" of McGann?
One where he's not "weary" or "laconic" even if it's a deliberate choice?

The Natural History Of Fear. It's McGann's favourite script.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hearing some interesting things through the grapevine. I was sure how much to credence them, but they seem to have been right about the Sea Devil's costume production drama, so we'll see.

Apparebtly the upcoming episode was a nightmare to film, at the very least. Multiple rewrites during production, the aforementioned problem with the costumes not working and preventing the actors from being expressive, etc. They apparently had to fix the faces entirely using CGI.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 25, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

elf help book posted:

How many of these specials are planned?

This and then the regeneration story IIRC.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The man struggles to pace a regular lengthed episode, this seems like a positive.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

They brought back The Great Intelligence, but they didn't bring back the Yeti. Omega hasn't popped up. Nor the Draconians, or Rutans, or the Mara.

The Draconians and Rutans were only in one series a-piece, I think?

The Black and White Guardians, whatever Sil's race were, and the Ogrons are the other multi-serial foes from Classic Who that haven't appeared in the revival yet.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Tbh the Ogrons are worth forgetting about. BF bringing them back is just another case of the company being very white and conservative.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
From what I've read, and what's been leaked, it seems that this episode lost about twenty minutes of footage -- some of it because of dissatisfaction from the Chinese market, and some of it was just cut during the reshoots.

The Sea Devils costumes were also -- like I mentioned earlier in the thread -- a terrible loving mess. They'd previously tried to make them work for season 12, but they'd failed miserably there too. No idea why they tried again knowing that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

It'd be odd if they didn't have a line or two keeping Big Finish's Tegan and Ace stuff canon, when the most recent Blu-Ray ad went out of its way to explicitly make Big Finish's Peri storylines TV canon.

BF haven't got a consistent "canon" when it comes to Ace -- there's at least three distinctly different characterisations for the character, all dependent on who was producing her stories at the time. They don't give a gently caress about that.

I do know that this upcoming story throws out the material introduced in the Sophie Aldred / Mike Tucker novel they wrote together, and that was advertised on TV. I doubt anyone gives a gently caress lmao.

Also if they've already contradicted "BF canon" for Tegan, given some of the lines from the trailer.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TinTower posted:

As long as they decanonise Ace being Super Totally Hetero No Gay Here in the VNAs, though, I’ll be happy.

Cartmel's Ace was definitely bi.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They'll definitely put James Goss on an episode, and he's an excellent writer. He's the one who cracked how to write The War Master in The Master Of Callous and wrote a good Missy play last year where she traps a man's brain in a handbag.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Most Doctor Who forums are motherfucked. Gallifreybase is a cess pit of atrocious moderation.

About two years ago they decided that they needed to crack down and do something about the culture. So they banned cat photos.

The chuds, on the other hand, are pretty much all that remain.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
tbh I think you'd run into a bunch of problems if you tried to depict a version of the Cybermen that isn't anti-cyborg, anti-science, anti-trauma, etc. etc. that still treats the Cybermen as serious existentially aggressive villains. They're built to talk about a few specific issues really well, but they're not open for much flexibility on those issues.

You get the odd exception -- Kroton the "good" Cyberman -- but that's not an approach lacking in xenophobia.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunno if they're still Cybermen then, so much as more generic vampires or organ harvesters.

I guess my problem is that there's still a central Cybermen-ness that goes beyond the organ harvesting, and part of that is the ironic dehumanisation -- there's a tragedy to becoming a cyberman, as opposed to just becoming the cybermen's lunch/stomach.

There's an excellent New Adventure proposal probably still floating around the Internet, that was about the Vatican hunting down Cybermen, that would have combined Nazi hunter iconography with ecclesiastic concerns regarding the existence of the human soul after death, etc. Cybermen as vampires (and fascists), but examined through a lens that focuses on Christian suffering and (religious) conversion. Really interesting stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

drat. <scrubs through short story idea>

Anyway, they’re now filming, with yesterday’s Tennant/Tate announcement timed so today’s filming didn’t leak out his involvement. Might be time to reactivate the spoiler thread?

New costume?!

Spacepig when :colbert:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
You guys know a lot of BF is free on Spotify, right?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man, you guys have no idea. There's this one poster on Outpost Gallifrey who's (genuinely) triggered everything the idea of releases going download exclusive is floated. He gets genuinely upset by the idea, and has started to "protest" the death of physical media by posting scans of the CD booklets, with some weirdo unironic "CD Master Race" subtext going on.

He's basically a prepper, but exclusively in the medium of Doctor Who CDs. It's honestly quite sad.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 23, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Hell yeah, I can't believe we haven't had a Jamie Mathieson story since 2017. Maybe after they finished filming Oxygen everybody just stood around for a few minutes in silence before somebody said,"Well.... we're not topping that...."

Mathieson doesn't appear to have written anything since then. That's pretty bleak.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

I picked up The Eighth Doctor: Time War Vol 1

the final episode is just...alright.

Yeah, that's the one where the reality altering superwapon (who looks like a guy) uses his powers to inveigle himself into a woman's life, eventually marrying her, and the script treats the entire thing as a tragic romance.

It's a bit yuck.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Sympathy for the Devil - The first Warner story in the line and it's a reasonable but not outstanding story that happens to have a fun idea for a setting and good use of its villain.

Oh man this story is so good.

Except for the racist casting, which ironically reinforces the point it's trying to make about Doctor Who's history of cultural imperialism / western ignorance.

"Pol Pot killed every doctor he could find, and none of them were you!"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1531275940524871681

lmao

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
RTD has covid. :ohdear:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

adhuin posted:

So what are good 'new' releases in the big finish land?
I wandered off during the first Chibnall season and the last thing I've listened was Time War 1 back in 2017.

Big Finish site is bit useless, if you want just browse releases...

Yeah it's pretty terrible.

Honestly, the most consistent range is... and you'll hate to hear it... Torchwood. The Benny stuff is very good too, but they've had a bit of break because of corona (they're back this year though). It's worth checking those out if you're interested, starting with The New Adventures Of Bernice Summerfield (aka the single decent Dalek story in the last ten years or so).

Since BF transitioned to boxsets for most of their other ranges, you're generally stuck with getting one or two good stories packaged with a handful of bad ones, which presents problems.

Some of the Ninth Doctor sets are decent too, though they're not as good as what was on TV IMO. And most things by James Goss or Chris Chapman are worth a look.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

A reminder that the entire backstory is given to her by the Master, a notorious liar, and that what he uses as proof is the infallible evidence of The Matrix... a device that was introduced in its first ever story as a machine that was co-opted so it could give false evidence, and the person who figured out how to make it fake evidence in that first story was.... the Master!

Yeah, but then all that information was confirmed by Barbara Flynn's character in the most recent season, in what was a deeply miserable waste of a very gifted actress.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zaroff posted:

Wasn’t the DU arc supposed to go on a lot longer (something like 4 McGann seasons), and they were forced to cut it short when the new series was announced?

While the first season was not great, I thought the second one was a bit better, with an underwhelming finale.

Yeah, several of the stories in the next set were originally from the arc and then had those narrative elements removed. Time Works, for instance, was the original basis of the climax of that arc.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I love that audio (I forget which one) with Daphne Ashbrook playing some other character alongside the 8th Doctor, where the villain asks if they should say grace before their meal and the Doctor goes,"Grace? There's no grace here!" :allears:

The Next Life, where she's playing a character named Perfection -- the character's a dual reference to both Grace and to the Doctor's wife, Patience, because of Plot Reasons, though I suspect the connection isn't ever made explicit in order to get around copyright.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

For some stupid reason I decided to watch Class and did the Doctor break time in such a way to dump a series worth of alien monsters onto a high school and then just left telling a small group of them, "Whelp! Good luck!"? They didn't even get, "I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry." Every kid who dies in this series is a direct result of the Doctor's irresponsibility.

Class has a couple of decent ideas -- there are two episodes, right before the finale, that demonstrate the kind of show it could be. Even the bad episodes (most of them) have a couple of great, oddball concepts. And the James Goss / Scott Handcock governed material (BBC books and BF, respectively) is often genuinely great.

I'd watch a random Class over any given Chibnall penned script any day of the week.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I swear someone on this forum had some very strong words to say about the big finish play, Scorched Earth (the one about French villagers doing vigilantism on Nazis during the close of WW2), but I've searched and not been able to find anything. Does anyone remember writing this post / where the post is?

Edit: Found it.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks Jerusalem. I'm scheduled to do a podcast talking about it, and I remembered Barry Foster's post (post more Barry, you big brains) and I wanted to research some more.

I'm tragically uneducated in history, despite somehow ending up doing the podcast about BF's history plays. I just listen to too much crap which somehow makes me qualified??? People have stupidly low standards.

BF has some quite good history plays IMO. I even like Chapman's other history play 'Plight Of The Pimpernell'. But Scorched Earth is a bit mealy mouthed, middle class, muddled, and moderate (liberal).