Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Put some himalayan salt on some chips I cooked this evening, was quite nice but didn't really see the point over the regular kind.

Is this a metaphor for the console room? Who can say.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Doctor Who in EVE Online? Pfft, call me when they show up in Star Trek Online. :techno::riker::spock:

ELDER SCROLLS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Why is there a cow in the middle of whiterun

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

How incredibly bizarre. Does Eve have a story outside the narratives made between the player fleet dramas?

Yeah, that's only one aspect of the game. There are plenty of people who do only NPC based missions and such. They're fairly rudimentary compared to something even slightly more narrative driven (like WoW) but the game has big events every so often of which this is just the latest one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Could be worse, the other likely lad was replaced by a dalek replicant

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SecretOfSteel posted:

I don't think I've seen all that many episodes of the Sixth Doctor, so I'm not sure if he actually wore it or not... but he had that striking deep blue coat which I thought looked great.

There's the shawl from Revelation of the Daleks:

And there's the Blue Coat that's used for Big Finish a lot of the time, which first appeared in the animated story Real Time in 2002, included because the animation wasn't sophisticated enough to render the normal suit:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Don't sleep on Azal in the background

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Last night's random doctor who was a double header as the first was only two parts. These were The Ultimate Foe and THE WAR GAMES (first 4 parts of, at least). I'm not sure what pair of stories could have a bigger distinction between them, especially as this is the first story in Trial that has come up. (I advise watching TUF on its own some time having not seen Trial for ages, it just comes across as a Madlibs episode where new characters keep on being introduced every couple of minutes)

The_Doctor posted:

To get to this content you just have to do these 47 tasks…zzzzzz

Way to make your game look incredibly dull and long-winded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhb0_U6voZc

Most of the tasks are "learn how to play the game" tbh. Scanning things down and having little pve encounters is one of the major bits of pve content in Eve, so it's pretty well integrated into the normal game systems.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

(fun fact: BBC America, despite its name, is *not* actually just an American wing of the BBC, but a separate concern in its own right, that has to pay for the rights to show original BBC content, including DW, just like any other American cable TV network. This came up a a while back, during Tennant's era IIRC, when someone asked a BBCA bigwig during a Q&A why they stopped showing the classic (i.e., Tom Baker) DW episodes along with other older BBC shows, and the answer was "we couldn't afford to show them any more" because they weren't bringing in enough advertiser money to offset the licensing costs. Just in case anyone ever wondered why BBCA transitioned from showing older BBC shows to the crap they air nowadays. :v:)

I mean it's the classic internal market stuff, you can benefit the corporation as a whole at no extra cost but nooooo

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The problem with being a government-owned body is when you get a government in that's absolutely hostile to the concept of "government-owned", they start doing whatever they can to tear you down, this is just the latest attempt by pro-capitalist politicians to dismantle any public services in Britain that they can so they can be just like their good buddies here in the States.

One thing Corbyn wanted to do was to change the statutory basis of the BBC so it was harder for governments to gently caress around with it, but the Beeb decided to wanted to do things like demand to know if Labour would nationalise sausages

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tonight on the random who watch we finished the back half of THE
WAR
GAMES

and, while it sagged a bit in episodes 7 and 8, remains excellent. The Time Lords essentially not giving a poo poo that there are enemy goons running around with guns because what are they going to do? Hurt a Time Lord? Pfft is so much better than, say, The Invasion of Time.

Also helps that the set design is great throughout, the music never stops being anxiety inducing and the direction is very stylish - esp for the era.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 20, 2022

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Then again, Chibs did destroy the universe and hasn't seemed to really repair it

That's not the first time that's been done, a huge portion of the universe was destroyed in 1981 in Logopolis, it's just something that happens

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tonight's random story was The Mind Robber. Absolutely demented in the best way. Why hasn't THE KARKAS come back???

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor starting to write his way out of his problem in The Mind Robber, then realizing that doing so would be making himself part of the fiction and thus trapping him forever was :discourse:

The entire story hung on Troughton playing it entirely straight, it really not have worked in almost any other era. Maybe Eccles.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I mean, that's your view and that's perfectly fine. Art is completely subjective, after all. My view is that NuWho has largely sucked since it came back, and I finally gave up on the show after I realized that I didn't like it and I wasn't going to force myself to watch it in the hopes that it might appeal to my particular sensibilities the way a lot of the classic series did. I don't often agree with Mad Larry, but I think he was spot on when he said it was just another TV show to him now, because that's absolutely how I feel about it too.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, and that's OK. I'm perfectly fine being the Old Man Yelling at Clouds in here and wearing an onion on my belt as I watch old DW episodes, which was the style at the time. :corsair:

I agree with you

Rhyno posted:

I wonder if Rusty can get Chris to come back for the 60th.

I suspect it makes it less likely

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Steven almost storming out of the TARDIS when proto-Dodo

Prodo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There hasn't been an anti-privatisation government in this country since before I was born, and I'm nearly 40. Since 1994 we've only had 4 years of anti-privatisation opposition, too. It's going to happen whoever is in charge next time out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

An IRISH Doctor will never happen, let alone an American Doctor.

So much for Pierce Brosnan

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rochallor posted:

Wouldn't that be the only time? Jamie is one episode short of all of Two, and the same with Tegan and Five.

Two for Tegan (leaves in Resurrection, then misses Planet of Fire and Caves)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If we're waiting around for people to be ready on our random thursday Who watches I put this on as the national anthem of who (along with I Am The Doctor and Doctor in Distress)

(For anyone who doesn't know, the group that made that is the art house acid industrial house pioneers The KLF (also known as the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu) better known for songs like 3am Eternal, What Time is Love and It's Grim Up North. And for burning a million quid as an art piece.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68CGBq8Rizs

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 2, 2022

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OldMemes posted:

Wait, didn't Nyssa end up trapped in e-space?

That was Romana, Nyssa stayed behind in Terminus to help the locals

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Ah, yes, the "Kamelion error"

To be fair, it's not like the person who controlled Tosin Cole died and none of the crew knew how to work him

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Fifth Element is great, it shouldn't be but it is

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Just going to leave this photo of Jessica Hynes here… for no reason.

New Davros?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

The only things I've ever watched that have that dude in them are those two Doctor Who episodes so I have a neutral-to-mildly-positive view of him.

(JC dressed as a rat hip thrusting at an innocent passer by.gif)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Timelash is a flawless masterpiece.

It certainly doesn't have a single flaw

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

Every now and then I read the thread title as gay pear specials which is fairly close to guy pears so it's confirmed that the next Doctor is Guy Pearce :tinfoil:

Ticks all the major boxes (actor, English)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Classic RTD casting (incredibly hot guy)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RTD may write worse under no pressure but we'll never find out because he makes it for himself by procrastinating

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sutekh

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dongicus posted:

Can't belive the Doctor from Doctor Who is going to do blackface. frucked up.

1966 posting itt (thankfully avoided though)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

[Doctor Who forum]

Me: [chanting] keff, keff-

Other patients: keff, KEFF

Secretary: [pounding her clipboard] KEFF, KEFF, KEFF!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tomb as well

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PiC was an exceptionally camp episode even for the time

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Never
Listen
To
Barrowman

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yannick_B posted:

This means we'll probably be seeing his costume this fall! Hurray!

That is the costume

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Last night we watched The Time Monster and I think it might be the story with the highest amount of filler in Doctor Who history. There's maybe one episode's worth of plot, and then the story manages to then also only have about one episode of filler, stretched over 6 episodes.

The destruction of Atlantis takes about the same amount of time as the Doctor describing a daisy, it's demented

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

That's probably my favorite Three story.

The first episode is good camp fun but the story seems to want to hit exactly the same moments multiple times (eg the master shouting for Kronos to come) without really developing much in between them.

One of my co-watchers describing Kronos's actual appearance in the modern day bit as "a pigeon has got into the lab" didn't help the gravitas of the situation either

Open Source Idiom posted:

While this is probably true, the daisy scene is pretty iconic ngl.

It's done much better in The Planet of the Spiders, by the same author(s)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Is that the story that ends with Sergeant Benton in a diaper?

Yes (sad story with that subplot, the baby that played Baby Benton died shortly after filming)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

happyhippy posted:

I swear that same location was used before in an ep.

The Saitama/Genos fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/ProfDaveAndress/status/1577653226425516033

Meanwhile, RTD joins Armando Iannucci and Margaret Atwood in their weekly drink-themselves-to-death sessions over people taking their fictional stories as advice.

It's likely that Thompson's costume was based off Truss, as she wore that outfit before Years and Years started filming and there aren't many "blonde female high profile Tory politicians" to take inspiration from.

CommonShore posted:

Yeah you're just not right here. Twelve's final season isn't simply "great," it has what's probably the best standalone episode of the revival.

Which episode are you talking about here

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 10, 2022